Kirkland Lake Gold KL

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Kirkland Lake Gold KL

Post by modeljc » Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Just ran across this little gem. John Paulson just took position. No debt and cash on hand 500 million with safe properties in Canada. Pays a 1.3% divdend with a lot of leverage with the price of gold. Adjusting for recent merger looks like it is selling about 10 earnings. Stock has gone up about 6 times in the last 5 years with gold going up about 50%. Sells for $38 or so with about 277 million shares outstanding. They purchased 10 million in the last quarter. Never found a gold mining stock that looks this good.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Kirkland Lake Gold KL

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 am

Is anyone looking at gold mining stocks right now? Supposedly out of favor, and value plays abound. ?

Just checked, KL is still at 38. Did you buy it, JC?
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:45 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 am
Is anyone looking at gold mining stocks right now? Supposedly out of favor, and value plays abound. ?

Yes I got it. Rode it to 57 and back down to $33. It is my side bet to collect a increasing 2% dividend with tax credit. My side bet is gold gets to $2250 and this goes to +$70. It also attractive from a takeover standpoint. Please don't follow me as I am a terrible stock picker.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 am

I Shrugged wrote:

I rotated significant portion of gold holding into senior gold and silver producers. KL included.

Moved my first two into direct registration recently, for silver equities I've held for several years. I trust that more than I do some entities custody of my gold.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am

murphy_p_t wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 am
I Shrugged wrote:

I rotated significant portion of gold holding into senior gold and silver producers. KL included.

Moved my first two into direct registration recently, for silver equities I've held for several years. I trust that more than I do some entities custody of my gold.
I can caution you from personal experience that when stocks crash and pm’s do not, the miners will crash along with the stocks. Baby with the bath water. I think HB noted this too. Your mileage may vary.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Thank you.

Was that experience in the 2008-2009 time frame? Maybe I should go and look at that closer.

Also, is there another forum you found to be helpful focusing on precious metal miners?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:28 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 pm
Thank you.

Was that experience in the 2008-2009 time frame? Maybe I should go and look at that closer.

Also, is there another forum you found to be helpful focusing on precious metal miners?
Yes, that is when it happened. I don't have any places to suggest. I was just using a mutual fund at the time. I was trying to mimic the PP without going out and buying gold. I don't think the GLD ETF was available when I first purchased the mining ETF.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am
murphy_p_t wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 am
I Shrugged wrote:

I can caution you from personal experience that when stocks crash and pm’s do not, the miners will crash along with the stocks. Baby with the bath water. I think HB noted this too. Your mileage may vary.
Duly noted.

What may be different this time is that while general equities continue at their lofty levels, gold and the miners have made a nice pullback, and have recently bounced.

In any case, having mining shares is diversification away from a change in the collectibles tax rate, should there be an explosive move in the metals. Added bonus:
no storagee fees.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm feeling very greedy about precious metal miners. Of my total portfolio, I'm somewhere north of 40% in metals and miners. Tempted to go even higher with the miners.