Vitamin D3 Cold Remedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vitamin D3 Cold Remedy

Post by stuper1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:08 pm

WiseOne posted a couple months ago that when she feels a cold coming on she takes 10,000 IU of vitamin D3, and it seems to stop the cold cold.

I've been waiting since then for a cold to come on. It finally did a couple days ago with the beginnings of a sore throat and my head feeling weird - congested or something. I took the 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 softgels and went to bed. Next morning, sore throat was gone and head felt much better. Today, I feel fine. Could just be a coincidence I suppose, but if I avoided several days of a cold that's definitely a win, so thanks WiseOne.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vitamin D3 Cold Remedy

Post by WiseOne » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am

You're welcome and glad it (may have) worked for you!!!!! I used it when my symptoms were a bit more advanced, because I always wonder if it's allergies or something at the start. I was astounded when I tried it and the symptoms just melted away in a matter of hours....never experienced anything like that before. And it happened twice so far.

My brother says he's been giving vitamin D3 to his daughter, who had repeated bouts of tonsillitis requiring antibiotics and was heading in the direction of surgery. She hasn't had an episode since.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am

Gonna try this tonight because maybe what I'm thinking is an unusually severe seasonal allergy is something else.

Unfortunately I only have 2000 IU pills so I have to take 5 of them and for some reason those tiny little pills always get stuck in my throat.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 am

Question is....does getting a lot of sun offer the same benefits?

I assume that in addition to how much sun exposure one gets via how bright the sun is, time of day it must also matter how much skin is exposed?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 am

I assume that in addition to how much sun exposure one gets via how bright the sun is, time of day it must also matter how much skin is exposed?
Hey Vinny, you can get the benefit of shin cancer at the same time! Mountaineer. aka “Fair skinned speaker from lots of experience”. :(
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 pm

vnatale wrote:

Hey Vinny, you can get the benefit of shin cancer at the same time! Mountaineer. aka “Fair skinned speaker from lots of experience”. :(

Way back in the late 80s I asked my doctor if I should have any concerns about too much sun exposure.

His exact words were: "Not for a swarthy person such as you."

I generally get (at most) one sunburn at the beginning of the year but then after that I just darken.

I did, however, way over do it 50 years ago this month.

It was the first and only time I went to Florida for "Spring Break".

I had no idea that the Florida sun was far more intense that the sun in Northeast United States.

First day I spent 11 hours in the sun and the second day I spent another 12 hours in the sun.

By the end of the 2nd day the upper back area between my shoulders was quite painful.

I asked my friend what it looked like and he said, "Ewww!".

I looked in the mirror and my skin looked like melted plastic.

I went to the hospital emergency room. They treated me and told me that I'd had incurred 3rd degree burns and sun poisoning.

But there did not seem to be any adverse effects. I do remember on that 26 hour ride in the car back to the Northeast that my entire skin peeled. That all resulted in one of the darkest tans I'd ever had.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Last week I increased my D dosage. Now I’ve been not sleeping deeply. Looked it up, D can reduce melatonin. So I’m going back to the prior, lower dose.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:11 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Way back in the late 80s I asked my doctor if I should have any concerns about too much sun exposure.

I generally get (at most) one sunburn at the beginning of the year but then after that I just darken.

I had no idea that the Florida sun was far more intense that the sun in Northeast United States.

First day I spent 11 hours in the sun and the second day I spent another 12 hours in the sun.

By the end of the 2nd day the upper back area between my shoulders was quite painful.

I went to the hospital emergency room. They treated me and told me that I'd had incurred 3rd degree burns and sun poisoning.

But there did not seem to be any adverse effects. I do remember on that 26 hour ride in the car back to the Northeast that my entire skin peeled. That all resulted in one of the darkest tans I'd ever had.

Vinny,
I'd suggest you not discount the harmful effects of your 50 year ago sunburn, regardless of how swarthy you are. I think your doctor gave you bad advice. See:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/ski ... skin-color

I know in my case I got a really bad burn on my nose when I was a teenager. The first skin cancer did not show up for about 50 years. I have had several more surgeries since then on my nose. That mega dose of sunshine was the gift that just keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. ;) You might want to see a dermatologist once in a while to get checked. Best wishes.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am

I would expect that natural sunlight exposure is a better way to get vitamin D than synthetic supplements, but those of us in northern latitudes who spend a lot of time indoors are not going to get enough that way. Remember the human race evolved in Africa, then only much later spread to cold climates. This is probably why liver is such a prized food by hunter gatherers.

Rare episodes of over-sun exposure and sunburn is almost certainly not the way to go! Try going for a half hour walk in the middle of the day, every day maybe?

Me, I get my vitamin D with a combination of cod liver oil, supplements and not nearly as much sun exposure as I would like.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:56 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am
I would expect that natural sunlight exposure is a better way to get vitamin D than synthetic supplements, but those of us in northern latitudes who spend a lot of time indoors are not going to get enough that way. Remember the human race evolved in Africa, then only much later spread to cold climates. This is probably why liver is such a prized food by hunter gatherers.

Rare episodes of over-sun exposure and sunburn is almost certainly not the way to go! Try going for a half hour walk in the middle of the day, every day maybe?

Me, I get my vitamin D with a combination of cod liver oil, supplements and not nearly as much sun exposure as I would like.

p.s. Interesting about the melatonin interference. Didn't know that, but then I haven't had the sleep issues.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:11 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Mountaineer wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Vinny,
I'd suggest you not discount the harmful effects of your 50 year ago sunburn, regardless of how swarthy you are. I think your doctor gave you bad advice. See:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/ski ... skin-color

I know in my case I got a really bad burn on my nose when I was a teenager. The first skin cancer did not show up for about 50 years. I have had several more surgeries since then on my nose. That mega dose of sunshine was the gift that just keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. ;) You might want to see a dermatologist once in a while to get checked. Best wishes.

Thanks. I've not seen a dermatologist since my teenage years. It's somewhat been on my list to see one again. Thanks for giving me more reason for doing so.