IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm

High earners and companies that prospered in the coronavirus crisis should pay additional tax to show solidarity with those who were hit hardest by the pandemic, according to IMF.

A temporary tax would help to reduce social inequalities that have been exacerbated by the economic and health crisis of the past year, the fund said in its twice-yearly fiscal monitor on Wednesday. It would also reassure those worst affected that the fight against Covid-19 is a collective endeavour within societies.

link
Not even attempting to spin it, interesting. To mis-quote Tyler Cowen, "retarded throughout."

This is coming on the heels of a story about the UN having a case of teh sads that some countries have higher interest rate/borrowing costs because they're riskier to lend to.
One should not praise men who are like to women, or women who are like to men. Unless some necessity overtake the woman.
- Unattributed Spartan
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by pugchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm
High earners and companies that prospered in the coronavirus crisis should pay additional tax to show solidarity with those who were hit hardest by the pandemic, according to IMF.

A temporary tax would help to reduce social inequalities that have been exacerbated by the economic and health crisis of the past year, the fund said in its twice-yearly fiscal monitor on Wednesday. It would also reassure those worst affected that the fight against Covid-19 is a collective endeavour within societies.

link
Not even attempting to spin it, interesting. To mis-quote Tyler Cowen, "retarded throughout."

This is coming on the heels of a story about the UN having a case of teh sads that some countries have higher interest rate/borrowing costs because they're riskier to lend to.
Sorry, no such thing.
I would agree it's retarded, but we're not allowed to use that word anymore you retard. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
I would agree it's retarded, but we're not allowed to use that word anymore you retard. :P
I understand if it's frowned on to call something/someone retarded where it's not relevant, like with dentistry or a plant nursery or something. But what if you work in early childhood development or a government bureaucracy?
One should not praise men who are like to women, or women who are like to men. Unless some necessity overtake the woman.
- Unattributed Spartan
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:12 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm
pugchief wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
I understand if it's frowned on to call something/someone retarded where it's not relevant, like with dentistry or a plant nursery or something. But what if you work in early childhood development or a government bureaucracy?
Kriegs, I was kidding. Just piling on all the not-PC crap. Can't keep it all straight.

Edit: Oh, wait, you were, too.