mathjak's daytrading adventures

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: mathjak's daytrading adventures

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:41 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am
That didn’t take long .

The bell rang and tlt ,gold and stocks are all down..you gotta love when three groups move down together ..
I’m still purchasing so I would appreciate low prices.
I am adding too so I can bring what fell back up to my min level but it is like peeing in the ocean ...I rather not add and stop the huge blood loss if I had a choice.

Wishing for lower price to add what amounts to very little while tanking the bulk of the dollars may not be the best to wish for
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 am

An indication something is out of whack in the system?

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:18 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am
That didn’t take long .

The bell rang and tlt ,gold and stocks are all down..you gotta love when three groups move down together ..
This has happened so many times in the past, and the reverse, it should be expected. They don't all, short term, move in opposition, which you know.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 am

Of course we all know that ..but the fact is many pp users turn to the pp to avoid big daily swings and what they believed would be much less volatile days then running high equity allocations and as users know that is anything but the case on many days when 3 assets move together ...

We have had days , hang on to your hat
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:37 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 am
..but the fact is many pp users turn to the pp to avoid big daily swings
❌ Daily is an unrealistic expectation unless one has 100% in short-term treasuries.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am

Many investors don’t realize just how much even the most conservative portfolios can swing in a day .

They have heard over the years how the pp can be like watching paint dry because of the yin and yang of it ...I will bet not a lot of new users expect the daily swing they can see ....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 am

Well, tough shit for them. They need to go back and read Craig’s book.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 am

If it goes a bit more like this, I tend to believe that we'll reach the drawdown of the darkest Covid days last year. But back then we had different ignition of the market plunge, than now .. I would say that back then it was slightly more rational than now ;D

PS. Holy sh*t, major EU brokers are all under water.. replying support requests take ages. Believe it or not, one even refused to populate the performance field as it's taking too much of their processing power. And all that due to 'increased market volatility'. Is that all designed to work in calm and sideways market I am wondering...
Last edited by Vil on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am

The four horsemen are very weary, Vil. They’re getting to us as quickly as they can. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am

Many investors don’t realize just how much even the most conservative portfolios can swing in a day .

They have heard over the years how the pp can be like watching paint dry because of the yin and yang of it ...I will bet not a lot of new users expect the daily swing they can see ....

I use Quicken for all my personal finances - income & expenses and all investment transactions. All my equity investments' prices get updated daily. Every so often I import them into an Excel worksheet and create a graph of my overall daily gains and losses and my cumulative year-to-date overall results. The picture is astounding of how much I've made or lost in a given day. And, in those same days how I'd have obsessed over not wanting to spend a relative few dollar and then deciding to not spend them. Which just pales in comparison to how much I have made or lost that day in my investments.

And, as you regularly point out...it's the same real money as if I did or did not spend it in the normal day-to-day way of spending or earning income through work.

What is the best source for getting the daily prices for each of the four components of the Permanent Portfolio? But let me refine my question.

1) My cash position will already be updated in Quicken
2) My equity position will already be updated in Quicken
3) My long term bonds will already be updated in Quicken
4) Buying gold via paper would already be updated in Quicken. But I'd have to manual enter the prices for physical.

What are your definitive sources for prices both for the past and for an ongoing daily basis for the four components of the Permanent Portfolio?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am
The four horsemen are very weary, Vil. They’re getting to us as quickly as they can. O0
I am here waiting. And no short sell bans, please, that's not a free market. Last half of the previous year plunge I was out of the game due to those bans.. should not be like this.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am

Daily/weekly/monthly, all emotional trading points. If someone, like mj, could have told me when I started investing in 1989 to "just close your eyes and keep plowing money into an all stock fund" that would have been the best advice anyone could have given me.

Don't trade options. Don't trade. Just keep on adding. Don't worry about drawdowns.

Would I have been able to stick it out? If the money magically went into a black box and I didn't need to watch its value over the course of my life -- probably.

Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am
"just close your eyes and keep plowing money into an all stock fund" that would have been the best advice anyone could have given me.
Yeah, Bernstein's "If you can" gives exactly that advice, if I am not mistaken... Worth read anyway.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am

Vil wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am

"just close your eyes and keep plowing money into an all stock fund" that would have been the best advice anyone could have given me.

Yeah, Bernstein's "If you can" gives exactly that advice, if I am not mistaken... Worth read anyway.

I think I have read all that he's written. Some of it two or three times. Which of his writings did he say that? I am not remembering that. Maybe I was too focused on him saying that if you "won the game" then you should stop taking the risk.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am

I use Quicken for all my personal finances - income & expenses and all investment transactions. All my equity investments' prices get updated daily. Every so often I import them into an Excel worksheet and create a graph of my overall daily gains and losses and my cumulative year-to-date overall results. The picture is astounding of how much I've made or lost in a given day. And, in those same days how I'd have obsessed over not wanting to spend a relative few dollar and then deciding to not spend them. Which just pales in comparison to how much I have made or lost that day in my investments.

And, as you regularly point out...it's the same real money as if I did or did not spend it in the normal day-to-day way of spending or earning income through work.

What is the best source for getting the daily prices for each of the four components of the Permanent Portfolio? But let me refine my question.

1) My cash position will already be updated in Quicken
2) My equity position will already be updated in Quicken
3) My long term bonds will already be updated in Quicken
4) Buying gold via paper would already be updated in Quicken. But I'd have to manual enter the prices for physical.

What are your definitive sources for prices both for the past and for an ongoing daily basis for the four components of the Permanent Portfolio?
I have a watch list created in my fidelity account that tracks in real time my portfolio..full view in fidelity gives me a total net worth at any time including banks and credit cards .

However any mutual funds like fidelity contra or blue chip growth don’t up date until after markets close and more towards 6 pm
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am
Which of his writings did he say that? I am not remembering that. Maybe I was too focused on him saying that if you "won the game" then you should stop taking the risk.
If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:21 am

The reality is how do we know we won the game .?

It sounds good but the reality is anything can happen to us tomorrow ...

Heck I got dental implant infection last year that cost me 15k out of the blue ...we need to replace cars , help our kids or grand kids and that thing called life .then there are long term care issues or needing domestic help ..

If they did not waive all the co pays and deductible for covid , with two of us hospitalized it would have cost us thousands since it spanned 2020 and 2021 starting new deductibles .

I do the best I can and I keep things in a volatility range that I can live with in retirement but no way would I ever say I won the game
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 am

Vil wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am

Which of his writings did he say that? I am not remembering that. Maybe I was too focused on him saying that if you "won the game" then you should stop taking the risk.

If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly

Thanks. Definitely read that one a few times. Just did not remember the part you cited.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:21 am

Heck I got dental implant infection last year that cost me 15k out of the blue ...we need to replace cars , help our kids or grand kids and that thing called life .then there are long term care issues or needing domestic help ..

If they did not waive all the co pays and deductible for covid , with two of us hospitalized it would have cost us thousands since it spanned 2020 and 2021 starting new deductibles .

I do the best I can and I keep things in a volatility range that I can live with in retirement but no way would I ever say I won the game

You think Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, some others can say that they won the game?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:21 am

You think Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, some others can say that they won the game?
I can’t speak for them ...we all think anyone with a lot more than us won the game but we don’t know what is in their heads
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm

In case anyone think the Fed is actually going to let interest rates rise if they can help it:

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:37 pm

mj, I edited your post above, taking what I think is the new line that you wrote and putting it at the bottom, outside the quote tags. (Didn't add or delete any words).

Easier for me to do than for you on your ipad. Let me know if I did it wrong.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm

It is perfect
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Looks like the air has come out of the balloon and we are ready to inflate again.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:14 am

If I was smart I would short Tlt ..it is almost a sure bet, every morning it is down . Early morning shows down again ....