Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

barrett wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 am

Cortopassi, where are you pulling that graph from? Looks like similar data to what I see on Worldometers but with a few more details.
New York Times. My daughter has a free subscription through school (oooh those liberal indoctrination centers... ;) )

Illinois high schools in my area just turned on spring sports. Kids are, I think, 5 days a week as well, although my daughter and her friends are still in the pod in my basement. So improvements are happening.

On a day like today, 8" of snow, they are happy about that.

Which got me talking last night --- there will never be a snow day ever again in schools! Just go to Zoom for the day. Interesting how things change.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am
Which got me talking last night --- there will never be a snow day ever again in schools! Just go to Zoom for the day. Interesting how things change.
The dog ate my computer. O0
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 am
Just received another email from my son’s elementary school:

“If students are wearing a plastic face shield or a gaiter, the student is at further risk of catching the virus if someone in the class or a teacher is infected or at the very least, further risk of having to quarantine for 10 days. This is very preventable by wearing a double layer face mask instead of a face shield, because of the student and the teacher are both properly masked, neither is considered a close contact. I know a face shield is more comfortable, but I'm asking you to have your children wear a double layer face mask covering the nose and mouth at school instead of a gaiter or face shield if that is their current choice. Not only will it prevent us from putting students at risk of having to quarantine, it's just safer.“
But it sounds like you DO still have the option of using the face shield.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 am
jalanlong wrote:

“If students are wearing a plastic face shield or a gaiter, the student is at further risk of catching the virus if someone in the class or a teacher is infected or at the very least, further risk of having to quarantine for 10 days. This is very preventable by wearing a double layer face mask instead of a face shield, because of the student and the teacher are both properly masked, neither is considered a close contact. I know a face shield is more comfortable, but I'm asking you to have your children wear a double layer face mask covering the nose and mouth at school instead of a gaiter or face shield if that is their current choice. Not only will it prevent us from putting students at risk of having to quarantine, it's just safer.“
Well it says they are “asking” you to wear the double mask. They make them wear them during PE and Recess! I am going to pretend I never saw the email and see if they contact me directly to request him to wear a double mask.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:16 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 am
Xan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

Well it says they are “asking” you to wear the double mask. They make them wear them during PE and Recess! I am going to pretend I never saw the email and see if they contact me directly to request him to wear a double mask.
And you are in Texas, right? Funny, I see the elementary school kids at recess here in Illinois, no masks.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:16 am
jalanlong wrote:
Xan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

And you are in Texas, right? Funny, I see the elementary school kids at recess here in Illinois, no masks.
It varies by district as to how Covid crazy they are. My mother is in the same county but different school district and they are no masks at recess, they eat lunch in lunchroom as normal. My district is no touching at recess, eating at your desk surrounded by plexiglass.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:05 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am
Cortopassi wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Xan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

It varies by district as to how Covid crazy they are. My mother is in the same county but different school district and they are no masks at recess, they eat lunch in lunchroom as normal. My district is no touching at recess, eating at your desk surrounded by plexiglass.
I should probably opt out of the coronavirus discussion forum because this one upsets me almost as much as the politics forum, esp. when talking about school!

I am driven nuts watching the Chicago Teacher's Union on the news, still hemming and hawing about schools aren't safe, and I personally would lean toward giving all those teachers who are scared three options -- back to work, early retirement or getting fired. It frustrates me greatly that it is "all about the kids," with CTU, but it really doesn't seem to be. There does seem to be a large contingent of teachers with medical conditions. Maybe they need to be first in line for a shot.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm

So let's see if I understand this...

One mask didn't work. So clearly, two masks will work, and you don't even need any scientific investigation whatsoever to back it up.

Yup, got it.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:05 pm
I am driven nuts watching the Chicago Teacher's Union on the news, still hemming and hawing about schools aren't safe, and I personally would lean toward giving all those teachers who are scared three options -- back to work, early retirement or getting fired. It frustrates me greatly that it is "all about the kids," with CTU, but it really doesn't seem to be. There does seem to be a large contingent of teachers with medical conditions. Maybe they need to be first in line for a shot.
Just to be clear... You're talking about a vaccination "shot", right?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:24 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Just to be clear... You're talking about a vaccination "shot", right?
Of course! I know a number of teachers through my experience with marching band. I have yet to find one, around here (NW suburbs) who is not completely dedicated to their job and goes over and above. I don't know what it is about the CTU in particular, but it seems there will always be some excuse. I hate being so cynical.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am
Cortopassi wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Xan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

I should probably opt out of the coronavirus discussion forum because this one upsets me almost as much as the politics forum, esp. when talking about school!

My family talks all the time about opting out of todays news topics - We joke about needing the "Mayberry News Network - MNN"

News reporting:
- no actual shooting's to report - Police can only carry one bullet - allowed in shirt pocket only -
- Big drama is how to tell someone their pickles are not fit for the county fair
- weather report is always sunny or smells like a storm is coming but it never does
- no one every gets seriously hurt
- Crooks are always caught - outsmarted by the sheriff
- Politics is limited to what the Mayor as been doing
- Homeless reporting is limited to one person who ends up having a feel good story at the end
- Drug use is limited to the town drunk that never drinks and drives and always sleeps it off
- animal rights is having to raise baby birds because their mother was killed with a sling shot - life lesson story
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Simonjester wrote:
WiseOne wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm

One mask didn't work. So clearly, two masks will work, and you don't even need any scientific investigation whatsoever to back it up.

Yup, got it.
https://babylonbee.com/news/triple-mask ... ouble-mask
Good Laugh!

"Not everyone is on board with three masks, though, especially quadruple-maskers, who find three masks to be inadequate -- but most of them have suffocated to death."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Yup, got it.
My school district deflects any questions or criticism with “ Per the Centers for Disease Control and the Collin County Health Department...”. They are just following recommendations so don’t complain to them.

They are sort of threatening you in a way. They say that according to CDC, if you are around someone with Covid and NOT wearing a double mask then you are considered exposed and must quarantine. So if you dont want to risk quarantine then double mask.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 pm

There is only one strategy that will, without fail, put an end to this idiocy: A leak-proof plastic bag placed over the head, firmly sealed around the neck with a rubber band.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Homeschooling is a way for you to threaten right back at the school district.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:54 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:19 pm
Homeschooling is a way for you to threaten right back at the school district.
I do wonder how all that plays into things. Certainly enrollment numbers factor into real estate taxes for schools. And I assume enrollment has gone down all over. But I don't know what kind of lag is built into that and taxes. I am sure there's going to be downsizing of lots of public schools to some extent, whether because students have gone private or home school. Or maybe even for those who will just learn from home through their whole school career, if that ends up being an option -- won't need as much building space.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:12 pm

I was surprised to see this article in BMJ. Read and enjoy! tl;dr: it's a commentary suggesting that a low carb diet should be recommended to people with COVID risk factors as the best way to treat them, and reduce COVID risk.

https://ebm.bmj.com/content/26/1/1

I've kept quiet about this for the most part, but I have come to believe this also, after quite a bit of research. It's not necessary to go fully ketogenic, just limit carbs to around 20-25% of calories, and avoid the Really Bad Stuff which is sugar, grains other than rice, and industrial vegetable oils. And, supplement vitamin D as needed to get a good blood level.

It would be ironic indeed if the COVID pandemic could be effectively laid at the doorstep of the USDA and their outrageous dietary guidelines.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm

I am diabetic and actually have gotten the levels down to prediabetic and eat low carb ...it didn’t help me or my wife at all with covid
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm
I am diabetic and actually have gotten the levels down to prediabetic and eat low carb ...it didn’t help me or my wife at all with covid
And how would you know that, exactly?

i.e. if you weren't eating low carb, you may have been worse off. Like, did you end up in a hospital or were you able to ride it out at home? Also, low carb isn't quite the whole story...vitamin D is a big factor as well.

p.s. sorry to hear you had COVID...but we all will encounter it, eventually.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:12 pm
Could it be that although you both had a tough journey with COVID, you had better outcomes in part because of eating low carb? I mean, you both may have done much worse with a poorer diet, right? Just throwing that out.

I was also curious about a couple of other things. Now that you are both home, are you considered to be in the "recovered" category or are you still both "active" cases? The second thing I was wondering about is if you have received any advice on whether or not you should still get vaccinated at some point.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm

We are no longer contagious, the virus is dead ...but we need to get antibody testing to keep us safe from others ...we get antibody tests when we go for our exam first week in feb .

It is recommended we wait until March for the vaccination.

I don’t think diet made one bit of difference ...I think the fact we are gym rats and I run 3-4 miles every other day played a big part..our respiratory systems were pretty efficient
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:43 pm

mj, I asked in your daytrading thread if your experience with Covid changed your feelings toward it?

I don't know if you expressed any opinion prior to getting it, but I think you've been pretty open that your hospital stay and the whole experience was pretty difficult.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:55 pm

At least for wheat, and why it is specifically bad: https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:09 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:43 pm
mj, I asked in your daytrading thread if your experience with Covid changed your feelings toward it?

I don't know if you expressed any opinion prior to getting it, but I think you've been pretty open that your hospital stay and the whole experience was pretty difficult.
I didn’t do much of anything for weeks ....it was only after being in the hospital and passing that peak 11-14 day period that I felt up to doing anything
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:05 pm
Maddy wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 pm
There is only one strategy that will, without fail, put an end to this idiocy: A leak-proof plastic bag placed over the head, firmly sealed around the neck with a rubber band.
If helium weren’t in a shortage, that might be a useful addition.
A question just occurred to me. Since inhaled helium makes one's voice sound higher and inhaled sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) makes one's voice sound lower, what happens if one inhales a 50/50 mix of helium and SF6? Do they just cancel each other out?

I really want to try this now.