Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:00 pm

What happens after you've had the Covid vaccine – and can you drink alcohol that evening?

As the vaccine is rolled out, here is everything you need to know in the aftermath of getting the jab, from immunity to side-effects

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... 1611423853
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Flatten the curve was the idea in US/UK and hospitals were overloaded going back several years. Why didnt they raise taxes to beef up flu capacity. Would that have angered more people than lockdown?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoNewNormal/co ... hest_ever/
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:36 am

boglerdude wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 pm
Save yourselves before it's too late. Join the Church Of Covid.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ChurchOfCOVID/ ... ci_or_not/
Lol. As I've said for a while, coronvirus lockdown worship is a religion. No evidence necessary, just faith. And the nonbelievers (heretics) are the cause of the god-virus' wrath upon us all.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 am

American baseball legend, 80-something, Hank Aaron died 2 weeks after publicly getting the vaccine. Obviously an anecdote, could be entirely coincidental. I mean that. If he did die of the vaccine, and an autopsy was done, what would be the cause of death? In other words, what organ failed?

You know, it would only take about one more famous person dying after vaccination to completely derail the program. Again, I'm not hoping for that. I want the damn thing to be safe and to work.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Russia dont play that

“I boozed like there was no tomorrow between the first and second jabs,” said one Moscow resident, who didn’t want to be identified. “And I’ve got antibodies coming out of my ears”.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Russians don't live very long, even though their average lifespan has extended a bit from when I lived there.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Russians don't live very long, even though their average lifespan has extended a bit from when I lived there.

Is there a difference for those who come to the United States?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:12 pm
dualstow wrote:
Of course.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:12 pm

dualstow wrote:

Of course.

Then....not genetic but lifestyle....same as parts of the United States wherein one set of kids born in one neighborhood have a life expectancy of 87 years old while kids born in a neighborhood not that far away have a life expectancy of only 73 years old.

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm

How long before most countries or US states change their lockdown plans to let people younger than say 50 do what they want? I ask because reading some headlines makes me think that countries in Europe are planning stricter lockdowns, and the people are rebelling. Why not just let the younger people build the herd immunity?

This is really getting on my nerves. I am fairly depression resistant, and even for me this is becoming hard to cope with. I can only imagine what it's like for those who are more susceptible.

And finally, if you were a bookie, what date would you choose for the over/under bet on having a normally open society with none of the COVID restrictions? Answer seriously if you can. I don't know what to think, but I'll say November 1, 2021. And that seems optimistic.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Simonjester wrote: there is no end , it will be off and on forever, depending on the governments "news" cycle needs, there is a new variation/lockdown on deck at all times from now on..
Sadly, I think this is the correct answer.

The Covid-1984 response that spread across the world this past year opened Pandora's box, and I think our crowd psychology has been permanently altered by it.

As a result, I suspect that going forward, every year when a new flu strain or respiratory virus starts to spread, the reaction in most countries will be to temporarily lock down and/or impose mask and distancing requirements until a vaccine can be developed. That currently takes the better part of a year, but presumably future technological advances will push it down to a few months, then a few weeks.

I personally consider that approach to be massive overkill and a violation of basic liberty, but none of the politicians or public health officials consulted me to tap my armchair expertise. (shrug)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:37 pm

You guys are worry warts. This becomes another flu shot, no lockdowns. My opinion.

But I am quite amazed at the rioting they are showing against lockdowns in Europe. Looks like the US in the summer!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:44 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm

And finally, if you were a bookie, what date would you choose for the over/under bet on having a normally open society with none of the COVID restrictions? Answer seriously if you can. I don't know what to think, but I'll say November 1, 2021. And that seems optimistic.
You should make a poll, Shrug. O0
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:02 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:37 pm
You guys are worry warts. This becomes another flu shot, no lockdowns. My opinion.
That's certainly what should happen. But I guess we'll see how the media decides to spin new viruses going forward.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

Hope you are right. When?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:02 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
That's certainly what should happen. But I guess we'll see how the media decides to spin new viruses going forward.
I predict summer.

I also am somewhat perplexed -- you know, all the people who said Corona would "disappear" on Nov 4th? What happened?

If anything, the mainstream media is now TOO focused on Corona, probably because Trump is not there to suck oxygen out of every news cycle.

And I personally have not been following it for a while. Last I really looked at it, deaths were at 300k. Somehow they are now at 420k?!

But it seems things are moving in the right direction.

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:46 pm

On the topic of "cases" vs "positive tests" that I spent so much time harping on...

Just in the past 2-3 weeks, I've become aware of 4 of my colleagues who, along with their families, were quarantined because one of them turned up with a positive COVID test. In all cases it was a child who tested positive - the youngest being a 2 year old. Some of the adults then went and got tested - mixed bag, some were positive. All were presumed COVID positive anyway.

Not one of the family members had any symptoms whatsoever. They were however greatly distressed and frightened about being "diagnosed". And this included physicians and biomedical scientists.

As regards lockdowns, I suspect that if they are ever lifted, they'll be reinstituted periodically as new such "cases" emerge. And they are bound to - the virus isn't going to go away, plus there is an unknown, but certainly nonzero, false positive test rate.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Fauci Says Not to Get ‘Complacent’ as COVID Cases Decline, Advises Double Masking for New Strain
Fauci added that the decline in cases is not a reason to loosen up safety precautions and urged Americans to continue to wear masks, stay home and practice social distancing.
[...]
With the U.K. strain now circulating in the U.S. and concern that the South Africa strain will soon be in the country, Fauci agreed with other scientists who have encouraged people to start double-masking with two layers to prevent infection.
Coronavirus II: Mask Harder
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:07 pm

My friend in California says that she is eligible for the vaccine, but she will still have to mask up because “you can still infect others”

She was at a loss as to how that would work. Knowing that I am a man of science, she threw herself at the mercy of my wisdom.

I slowly explained that the overt bullshit lie was because there is no plan in place to allow some people (the vaccinated and the recovered) to go maskless while requiring masks for everyone else. Thus the need for blatant bullshit.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:07 pm
My friend in California says that she is eligible for the vaccine, but she will still have to mask up because “you can still infect others”

She was at a loss as to how that would work. Knowing that I am a man of science, she threw herself at the mercy of my wisdom.

I slowly explained that the overt bullshit lie was because there is no plan in place to allow some people (the vaccinated and the recovered) to go maskless while requiring masks for everyone else. Thus the need for blatant bullshit.
“Wear the mask, because you can still infect others” (whispers) “with jealously.”
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Anyone find data on hospital admissions for 2020?

I found last October projection was down 10% from previous year. I haven't found current though.

I know good chunk must be elective procedures but 10% is a lot.

https://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/n ... n-105-2020
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm

This isnt going away anytime soon. My son’s elementary school sent out a directive today that if your child has been around anyone with Covid and was only wearing a single layer mask then they have to quarantine for 14 days. Only if they were wearing double masks are they exempt.

How they will enforce this I am not sure.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChurchOfCOVID/ ... nded_that/

He's toying with us now, and I would too for the flex and $35,000/month salary
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:02 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
I predict summer.

I also am somewhat perplexed -- you know, all the people who said Corona would "disappear" on Nov 4th? What happened?

If anything, the mainstream media is now TOO focused on Corona, probably because Trump is not there to suck oxygen out of every news cycle.

And I personally have not been following it for a while. Last I really looked at it, deaths were at 300k. Somehow they are now at 420k?!

But it seems things are moving in the right direction.

Cortopassi, where are you pulling that graph from? Looks like similar data to what I see on Worldometers but with a few more details.

As far as when we go back to living normal lives, I just see it as a gradual process with some fits and starts along the way. I am mentally operating on the assumption that the vaccines will be quite effective and that there may be an annual shot like the flu.

So far the rest of the world is rolling out vaccines much more slowly than we are (putting aside much smaller countries like Israel & UAE), so it looks like it will be quite a long time before international travel bounces back.

Finally, I think that areas of the US that are too stringent with continued COVID measures will be pushed economically to more or less fall in line with what the norms are elsewhere.

Just my two cents worth.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 am

Just received another email from my son’s elementary school:

“If students are wearing a plastic face shield or a gaiter, the student is at further risk of catching the virus if someone in the class or a teacher is infected or at the very least, further risk of having to quarantine for 10 days. This is very preventable by wearing a double layer face mask instead of a face shield, because of the student and the teacher are both properly masked, neither is considered a close contact. I know a face shield is more comfortable, but I'm asking you to have your children wear a double layer face mask covering the nose and mouth at school instead of a gaiter or face shield if that is their current choice. Not only will it prevent us from putting students at risk of having to quarantine, it's just safer.“