Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 am
Both home ...barely touching oxygen, up and around and on the mend ....
Thanks for asking
Just reading about all you went through had definitely affected me....making me far more cautious than I had been...
Seems like you are already extremely careful, Vinny.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 am

Both home ...barely touching oxygen, up and around and on the mend ....
Thanks for asking

Just reading about all you went through had definitely affected me....making me far more cautious than I had been...

Seems like you are already extremely careful, Vinny.

Not really. My preferred lifestyle leads to be quite protected.

But after reading about Mathjak I turned down an invitation for supper with a friend.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Father in law died in the Philippines about an hour ago in what appears to have been a COVID complication of sorts although he tested negative. It was hard to make out what was happening because I don't speak Visayan but apparently he was rushed to the hospital because he was having difficulty breathing. When he arrived there was a delay in treatment due to the necessity of following COVID protocols which was why I woke up to my wife screaming at the doctor on Facebook Messenger. Apparently he died before any treatment could be given. At least that's the story as best I can piece it together.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:00 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 pm
Father in law died in the Philippines about an hour ago in what appears to have been a COVID complication of sorts although he tested negative. It was hard to make out what was happening because I don't speak Visayan but apparently he was rushed to the hospital because he was having difficulty breathing. When he arrived there was a delay in treatment due to the necessity of following COVID protocols which was why I woke up to my wife screaming at the doctor on Facebook Messenger. Apparently he died before any treatment could be given. At least that's the story as best I can piece it together.
Wow, that's awful in so many ways. My sympathies.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:52 pm

pp4me wrote:
Oh my, that’s rough. My condolences to you and your wife and family.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:52 pm
pp4me wrote:
Oh my, that’s rough. My condolences to you and your wife and family.
Thanks. Still not sure what the whole story is but probably never will.

Kind of glad my wife's passport expired in November or we'd be on our way to the Philippines which would probably be a bad idea right now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm

pp4me wrote:
sorry to hear it. My condolences to you and your wife.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Sat next to a couple of Colombian gals tonight.

There is no more beautiful, pristine Spanish on the planet than from the Andean region surrounding Medellin.

Centuries of isolation and you could swear you are talking to Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra himself.

And those conquistador genes also survived quite well.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Sat next to a couple of Colombian gals tonight.

There is no more beautiful, pristine Spanish on the planet than from the Andean region surrounding Medellin.

Centuries of isolation and you could swear you are talking to Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra himself.

And those conquistador genes also survived quite well.
"Sat"..?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 pm

"Sat"..?
We talked about the diaspora of the second person familiar conjugation. And wine. And tenderloin.

I swear.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Are you colonizing in El Norte or down in Medellin?

It's a place I want to check out.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 pm
Are you colonizing in El Norte or down in Medellin?

It's a place I want to check out.
I’m in Fort Lauderdale right now. The Keys, last week.

I highly recommend Medellin. I have been there, Bogota and Cartagena. No need to go to Bogota more than once. Cartagena is pretty cool. Medellin is magical.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Finally returned to barbell strength training last night after six months off following the birth my baby daughter. Felt really good.

Part of what felt so nice about it was that the routine of the workout reminded me of what my life was like prior to the insanity of the 2020 election. Simpler times.

I look forward to becoming strong again.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Super powerful Tortoise.

I remember telling my gal one time, ‘I don’t feel strong anymore.’ It changes your perspective on everything.

It’s probably all psychological, but just walking down the street knowing your muscles are ready is life changing.

I fixed that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Tortoise wrote:

Finally returned to barbell strength training last night after six months off following the birth my baby daughter. Felt really good.

Part of what felt so nice about it was that the routine of the workout reminded me of what my life was like prior to the insanity of the 2020 election. Simpler times.

At my age barbells have been a life saver in so many ways and provides such an improvement in overall quality of life.

Only yesterday I lost my balance in this room and would have gone down with possibly injury. However, due to the barbell dedication I did have sufficient body strength in various parts of my body to NOT go down. Only one of the many reasons why I call myself a barbell evangelist.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Super powerful Tortoise.

I remember telling my gal one time, ‘I don’t feel strong anymore.’ It changes your perspective on everything.

It’s probably all psychological, but just walking down the street knowing your muscles are ready is life changing.

I fixed that.
Some people bring muscles to a fight, some a knife, some are just Bide'n their time ..... I, like Stalone in Predator, prefer an M60 or bow and arrow. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 am

Mark Leavy wrote:

Tortoise wrote:

Super powerful Tortoise.

I fixed that.

Some people bring muscles to a fight, some a knife, some are just Bide'n their time ..... I, like Stalone in Predator, prefer an M60 or bow and arrow. ;D

That may be true for a real fight and I'd be with you there.

But in the daily, hour-by-hour personal fights with life....I'm going to take the muscles every time since you are in battle with what your body will do to you 24 hours a day.

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Super powerful Tortoise.

I fixed that.

But in the daily, hour-by-hour personal fights with life....I'm going to take the muscles every time since you are in battle with what your body will do to you 24 hours a day.
You surely aren’t saying you don’t have instant access 60/60/24/7/365 to an M60 (or lesser hand held cousins) or a bow and arrow? What is the world coming to? :o
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:01 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am

Mountaineer wrote:

Mark Leavy wrote:

Tortoise wrote:

Super powerful Tortoise.

I fixed that.

You surely aren’t saying you don’t have instant access 60/60/24/7/365 to an M60 (or lesser hand held cousins) or a bow and arrow? What is the world coming to? :o

I know you are joking on your end....but to be clear on my end....they are are no value in fighting the daily physical aches and pains of life....while barbells do wonders for those...

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 am

Perspective on life:

We are mourning the deaths of nearly 400,000 people from Covid-19. Yet CDC Abortion Surveillance tells us that in 2018 (their latest figures) 619,591 abortions were reported in the United States that year. And the latter figure repeats year after year. Lord, have mercy.

For those of you who like podcasts, Albert Mohler had two that might be of interest, January 18 and 19. The 18th on Planned Parenthood, Biden's choice for Health Secretary, and the implications on religious freedom. The 19th on history and comparison of inaugurating new leaders in Britain and the US. https://albertmohler.com/the-briefing

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Ok, ok, we have more than one abortion thread.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:37 pm

The Knuckleheads forum seems to be down.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:37 pm
The Knuckleheads forum seems to be down.
It is with great pleasure that I say I wouldn’t know.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Looks like it was a forum software update. Too bad. I thought maybe LadyGeek decided to shut the forum down and have everyone migrate to the PP philosophy. ::)
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Heh. I’d rather have one famous pp’er. Actually there was that one rock star. Or was it a comedian? I can’t remember now.
RIP Marcello Gandini