Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Search functionality not working ?

Post by Vil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:49 am

Hey guys

Apparently I am facing issues when trying to perform Search - tried both as guest and as logged user - both ways ended up with HTTP 500.
Is it only me ?
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Search functionality not working ?

Post by Vil » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Not that anybody cares (or cared), but just for the record - using the generic search functionality (Search box in the top right corner) actually works with all the words except TIPS. That's really weird, though it's 100% reproducible on my side. Oddly enough I was searching for something related to TIPS back then, before my previous post. Anyway...
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:13 pm

i seem to be having search issues when i test it as well, i will dig deeper when i get a chance this evening..
thanks for the heads up..

tips wont show but other terms will?? that is weird..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 pm

Vil wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Not that anybody cares (or cared), but just for the record - using the generic search functionality (Search box in the top right corner) actually works with all the words except TIPS. That's really weird, though it's 100% reproducible on my side. Oddly enough I was searching for something related to TIPS back then, before my previous post. Anyway...

When I did a search on "tips" it took a long time to get to this:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.55 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:49 am
Hey guys

Apparently I am facing issues when trying to perform Search - tried both as guest and as logged user - both ways ended up with HTTP 500.
Is it only me ?
Not just you.
i often type my search terms into google

Code: Select all

chaps site:gyroscopicinvesting.com
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks guys, thanks l82start !
It's weird indeed, actually, it may have a relation with the way a search term is indexed by phpBB (e.g. "Trump" takes half of the index-tree ;D ) ..
But you know better - thanks again!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Here's another problem I have been experiencing periodically over the last few days and from different PCs:

I usually access the forum from the "Unread Posts" page on the hamburger menu at the upper left. By clicking on the red circle to the left of the thread, it used to bring you to the last unread post (that I personally read) in that thread. Now, every few threads, if I click on the red circle it will bring me to some random post on some random page in the thread instead of the last unread one.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can one of the mods look into it please?
ditto also having this issue starting today...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Here's another problem I have been experiencing periodically over the last few days and from different PCs:

I usually access the forum from the "Unread Posts" page on the hamburger menu at the upper left. By clicking on the red circle to the left of the thread, it used to bring you to the last unread post (that I personally read) in that thread. Now, every few threads, if I click on the red circle it will bring me to some random post on some random page in the thread instead of the last unread one.

Is anyone else having this issue? Can one of the mods look into it please?

Same just happened to me in the last hour or so.

But that feature has well proven to be unreliable in the past so I'm always checking it to look at the last prior post to make sure I am starting with the last unread one. It is almost always the last unread one but I do catch the ones that are not and go back to truly find the last unread one.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm

I've always had problems with search. I just assumed it was a feature of this forum software.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:50 pm

i think it gets buggy every now and then during updates-modifications and times with heavy post/thread movement. i will have to ask xan our tech expert, but if i remember correctly there is a reset/re-compile button somewhere in the admin controls that needs to be run periodically to sort it back out..

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:44 am

l82start wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:50 pm

i think it gets buggy every now and then during updates-modifications and times with heavy post/thread movement. i will have to ask xan our tech expert, but if i remember correctly there is a reset/re-compile button somewhere in the admin controls that needs to be run periodically to sort it back out..

The "last unread post" feature is definitely consistently NOT working in the Virus discussion Topic. I suspect because it has so many pages and posts in it?

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:08 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:51 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:44 am

l82start wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:50 pm

The "last unread post" feature is definitely consistently NOT working in the Virus discussion Topic. I suspect because it has so many pages and posts in it?

Yes, it seems the only thread displaying this issue now is the Corona Virus Discussion.

Has it succeeded in setting the record with the most pages or posts in it? Or, it it still far from having ascended to being #1 on that list?