Come into my Parler

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Come into my Parler

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 pm

{ I split this computer/web self-help request from the Politics section and moved it here
— DS
}

No one has yet told me if they were able to successfully log in to their parler.com account.

I continue to be unsuccessful. Seems to be a "buggy" web site.

Just heard that Twitter has permanently banned Trump.

If this is cutting him off from all his supporters and followers....am I wrong in the following?

If someone is able to create and log into a Twitter account, should not that same person be able to create and log into a parler.com account (provided parler.com is able to successfully make the jump from AAA to the major leagues)?

Why does he have to be on Twitter when almost everyone in parler.com is a supporter of his?

Are not conservatives / Republicans / Trumpists passing on to one another the existence of parler.com?

It's been so long since I've logged into my parler.com account. Do people have followers?

EDIT: I'd been trying to log in via Edge. Tried with Chrome and don't even get as far as I did with Edge. Once I enter email / password and click "next", nothing happens. Now I don't even think parler.com has achieved AAA status. They seem to be in Rookie League and have about go through three move levels to achieve AAA status.

Another EDIT: Now heard that Apple is shutting down parler.com because it does not do enough to prevent violence. What does this mean? What is Apple's relationship to parler.com? Is this explaining why I cannot get in to parler.com?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Come into my Parler

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 pm
No one has yet told me if they were able to successfully log in to their parler.com account.

If this is cutting him off from all his supporters and followers....am I wrong in the following?

If someone is able to create and log into a Twitter account, should not that same person be able to create and log into a parler.com account (provided parler.com is able to successfully make the jump from AAA to the major leagues)?

Why does he have to be on Twitter when almost everyone in parler.com is a supporter of his?

Are not conservatives / Republicans / Trumpists passing on to one another the existence of parler.com?

It's been so long since I've logged into my parler.com account. Do people have followers?

EDIT: I'd been trying to log in via Edge. Tried with Chrome and don't even get as far as I did with Edge. Once I enter email / password and click "next", nothing happens. Now I don't even think parler.com has achieved AAA status. They seem to be in Rookie League and have about go through three move levels to achieve AAA status.

Another EDIT: Now heard that Apple is shutting down parler.com because it does not do enough to prevent violence. What does this mean? What is Apple's relationship to parler.com? Is this explaining why I cannot get in to parler.com?
Perhaps Parler has deemed your speech to be violence and you’ve been banned from their service.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 pm

Perhaps Parler has deemed your speech to be violence and you’ve been banned from their service.

I have only been there twice and have never contributed!!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:41 pm

They know your leanings, Vinny, they know. ;)

Trump banned from Twitter. And I hear he tried to then post under POTUS. And was rejected.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

I officially finally got into Parler. Somewhat of a "clunky" site compared to what I am used to. Definitely at about AA level. Needs to go up two levels in several aspects to get promoted to Major League.

No one uses computers any more? Everyone else addicted to those tiny screens?

If you are using a Windows computer you are NOT blocked from Parler.

On a totally different note.

Sunday night I had a device installed at my house. It has a corresponding app to use with it. It was working fine with my Moto Android phone but I generally do not deal with phone tiny screens.

Thought for certain I'd be able to use it on my iPad, which would have been acceptable. But, of course, due to the Apple's extreme avaricious policies..the app would not run on the operating system that iPad topped out at.

Looked at buying another iPad with sufficient operating system to run it. But it was too pricey for just wanting to run this one app.

Finally, I thought, I wonder if I can run some Android simulator on this computer.

Searched. Quickly found something. Installed it. Works beautifully! Now I get to view this app on a 23" inch monitor! Plus, I now know I can run any other Android app on this computer.

The final Apple dig. I was able to also run this app on a Google tablet that came out in 2012!
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:11 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Breaking News, Politics version

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:13 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:11 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:53 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

I wonder if I can run some Android simulator on this computer.

Searched. Quickly found something. Installed it. Works beautifully! Now I get to view this app on a 23" inch monitor! Plus, I now know I can run any other Android app on this computer.

May I ask what the name of the simulator is? And can you provide a link? Thanks

I have used https://www.bluestacks.com/ in the past to do this.

That is it!!!

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate it a 15!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:26 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Neat. i wish I could run this on an ipad.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:26 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Neat. i wish I could run this on an ipad.

You have the same issues as me? An iPad whose operating system has topped out? Or, you'd also like to be able to run Android apps on it?

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:29 am

I have an new ipad mini so i can still get ipadOS updates if that’s what you mean.
It’s the latter: I would like to see android simulated on my desktop or ipad mini. I don’t run MacOS Big Sur, so I’m out of luck for now.
maybe I should split this off, too. O0

on topic: I had considered joining Parler in late 2020. Now I’m thinking i should leave well enough alone.
RIP Marcello Gandini
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

🚧 I moved some posts from the Meme Thread over to this one, starting here — DS🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I have Signal and quite like it.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I never foresee ever leaving Twitter or Facebook. Even if both forbid all political content I believed in while continuing to all all that I do not believe it, there are far too many reasons / benefits that I get from each to leave them. Have never used What's App.

Think about this. Both Twitter and Facebook are private companies, out to make a profit.

Therefore, in general, whatever they chose to do is with an eye towards what is best for their long-term profits.

Finally, when it comes down to it, too many peoples' principles are tied to what is convenient. They are generally not going to stand up for them when it will cost them anything.

Therefore, many conservatives / Republicans / Trump supporters are NOT going to "join the mass exodus" from Twitter or Facebook because it would come at the costs of losing other benefits they get from each.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am

Smith1776 wrote:

There aren’t too many replacements for Twitter and Facebook, are there. I mean you can’t just tune into What’s App and see what’s going on unless you have a very large group. It’s just not the same thing.

I do like Telegram, Signal, etc for friends and family.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am

Yeah as far as pervasiveness I suppose not. I support anyone's decision to leave the big platforms though. Too much control. Too much invasion of privacy. Too much in the way consolidation of influence.

I am still on the various mainstream platforms, though I am not a frequent poster on social media. Can't say I have too much time to do so.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am

I still have a Facebook account but I deleted all my posts and pictures a long time ago. Even put up an AI generated fake photo to fool the image recognition database (only the paranoid survive).

Never been on Twitter and never will. If I was a young person with right of center views and a career ahead of me I think it would be foolish to post anything there at this point in time.

Looks like Amazon is also joining the right wing censorship movement by removing Parler from the App Store, but I doubt that too many, myself included, will be cancelling their Prime membership. I read somewhere that more people have Amazon Prime than vote in elections.

(Update: Looks like the Amazon move is more than just removing the App. They hosted the whole thing so basically it's now shut down completely).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am
(Update: Looks like the Amazon move is more than just removing the App. They hosted the whole thing so basically it's now shut down completely).
Wow, you're not kidding-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... uspension/
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

🚧 I moved some posts from the Meme Thread over to this one, starting here — DS🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In either the Twitter purge or the mass exodus...It looks like I lost 100 Twitter followers. But it looks like I lost about 500 people I was following. I guess that shows I was following a lot more Trump people than were following me.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm
In either the Twitter purge or the mass exodus...It looks like I lost 100 Twitter followers. But it looks like I lost about 500 people I was following. I guess that shows I was following a lot more Trump people than were following me.
Wow, you’re following 27,000 people. How much do you read per day- or rather, how much time do you figure you spend reading Twitter on an average day?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:10 pm

While I have not abandoned the traditional platforms, my quality of life has definitely improved the less I look at them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Wow, you’re following 27,000 people. How much do you read per day- or rather, how much time do you figure you spend reading Twitter on an average day?

My policy is that I only follow people who follow me. Therefore when someone follows me I follow them. I also used to use a service that I'd use daily to see who had stopped following me and I would then unfollow them. But that became too time consuming because some would follow one day, unfollow the next, follow the next....

Therefore I now rarely unfollow anyone. Just follow anyone who has started following me.

I also rarely ever look at the tweets produced by those who I follow.

Instead, I've created about 10 lists on different topics, e.g., baseball, New York Yankees, Boston Celtics, personal finance, health, music and so on. Among them are two lists A+ and A.

The A list has about 4,000 Twitter accounts in it. That is the place I'll mostly go to whenever I want to see what is going on with Twitter.

Finally, until recent events I was not spending much time at all with Twitter....going days without visiting and even on those days not being there long.

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:46 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Wire is a superior encrypted messaging app to Signal because Signal requires you use "a" phone number as your user name, and to have the app be functional, you have to give it access to your Google or iOS contacts.

Which means you have to be *using* Google and iOS Contacts. Which means Google or Apple, depending on which phone you use, has a list of everyone you are friends with.

Which means when 10% of your contact list gets arrested in the Capitol for sedition, your social credit score takes a ding because maybe you were there too, and just didn't get caught. Or you have a bad taste in friends. Either way, you're not getting this job because your social credit score is too low.

I say with Signal you must use "a" number because you're not obligated to use your actual phone number, you can use a VOIP line that is different than your cell phone SIM number, but then the contacts permissions still gets screwy.

And if you do use your SIM number, anyone can SIM swapping attack you and assume control of your Signal account. They won't be able to see old messages prior to the SIM hijacking, but they'll be able to see any future messages that arrive, until you're able to regain control of the account.

Signal, in my opinion, is a piece of shit application from a privacy perspective.

Wire lets you create a custom username. Make an account called Smith1776 and add someone from the forums as a friend, and now you don't have to give them your phone number, which is probably linked to your real name*, you don't have to add this internet stranger to your contacts list, which means apple/google don't know they are your friend.

And you can make a second account called Ronald Rowan, which is maybe your real name, and you can add both accounts to the same Wire app. So your family/coworkers are on the Ronald Rowan account and your Gyro friends are under Smith1776. All in the same app.

You can also sync Wire across multiple devices with a username and password. Signal requires a QR code scan to sync, which is a horrible security risk because you now have to have your cell phone next to your computer. Which most people do anyway, but it's a bad security risk. And you can only have Signal on one phone or tablet at a time. Wire can be installed on your cell phone, tablet, desktop, etc, and all sync.

Speaking from significant personal experience in this realm over the last decade, Wire is superior to Signal.

*Bonus content: Your phone is probably linked to your real name because even if you have a prepaid phone paid in cash, if you give your phone SIM number out to friends/family, and if even a single person has saved that number and associated it with your name in their Apple/Google contact list, then there's a high likelyhood it's now linked to you permanently. The most common method is because people install "True Caller" type apps on their phones, which is a large database of caller ID info. So they can see who the "True Caller" is to their phone when there is an unrecognized phone number calling them.

In order for the True Caller app to work, you must share your contact list with the company as a contingency of using the app. And that sharing is how they generate the caller ID data for everyone else who uses the app. Because you agree to upload the 100+ contacts in your contact list to their database, with the associated name info for each phone number, and then if anyone from your contact list calls anyone else using the True Caller app, now True Caller tells that person who the phone number belongs to, because you shared your friends data with the True Caller database.

So, if you care about privacy, don't use Signal. Use Wire, which also has free, ad-free, versions.
Wow. Thank you.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:52 pm

One thing above all that I’ve learned on this forum is how much I don’t know.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am

Elon Musk seems to like Signal.
The main thing I don’t like about it is all the error messages. What was once readable becomes “Bad Message” or something like that. This is not something I’ve ever encountered in Wire. Wire is smooth.

Since the privacy I seek is more something pretty good to defeat casual snooping (not that anyone near me is even looking) and not privacy from NSA or something, I enjoy all of these apps. I don’t like using SMS, perhaps the least private medium, but i use it when I have to. Can’t get my ageing parents on Telegram.

Telegram is great for sending messages to yourself from one device to another instead of plugging in cables.

Wire is nice for messages with an expiration date- this is also something I find buggy in Signal. It keeps resetting on me when I set the duration.

Telegram gives you the option of locking the app with a PIN on each device.
I don’t think Signal can be locked on a desktop. Or, I just haven’t figured it out yet.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 am

A friend was recently recommending Wire. I'm going to give away my complete lack of expertise with computers when I ask--What is this? Is it a discussion board, similar to what we have here? When I went to the Wire.com website, what's described is a "conferencing" platform, which is pretty much meaningless to me. Does it work, as here, by allowing members to create topical threads to which other members respond over succeeding hours, days and weeks? Or is it something that occurs in "real time?"

Others have described the need to "download an app." I'm afraid I don't even know what an "app" is. I have a $25 hand-me-down computer from the public library sale. Is an "app" a software program? Why is it necessary to actually put software on your computer to participate in a discussion board? Is Wire even something that can be used on a computer?

Is there someone who uses Wire that would be willing to display a screen shot of what you find there?

So confusing-- I'm really ready to throw my computer out the window and go live with the Amish. Only half-kidding.