Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:54 pm

It killed Mary Ann?!!? I've been advocating peaceful coexistence with this thing, but this means WAR.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Damn, I’ve been watching her for a few minutes on weekday mornings because it’s on when I feed the cat. Sweet MaryAnn.
You’re right, Xan, it *is* war.

I also recently saw the episode of Simpsons in which Moe had auditioned for a role in a soap. He overheard the producer arguing with the casting director. “I thought you said to get someone ugly.” “I meant MaryAnn ugly, not ____ ugly.”
O0 Which is to say, hott.

I wonder if Bill Gross knows.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11656&p=216633&hili ... ss#p216150
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:09 pm

doodle wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 am
The data does seem to suggest that it's about 10 times deadlier than average flu. 1% vs .1% death rate.
The Decimal Point That Blew Up the World
John Ioannidis sums up the disparity by age with the following infection fatality rate for people under the age of 70: 0.05%. This conclusion has been peer-reviewed and published by the World Health Organization.

How does this compare with the flu? We do not really know. As science journalist Shin Jie Yong has written, “There seems to be no data on age-specific IFR of the seasonal flu.” What this means is that crucial testimony of Fauci from March 11, in which he casually predicted based on bad numbers, that Covid would be ten times worse than the flu, can neither be confirmed or denied based on age-specific severe outcomes.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am
If this virus mainly targeted kids, I'm sure we'd all have a different perspective.
You mean like the 1918 flu, in which the bulk of fatalities were in young adults and kids?

Not really, then. There are way too many comparisons of COVID to the 1918 flu. In terms of #deaths/unit population and #years of life lost, there is just no comparison. And by that I mean that the 1918 flu was an order of magnitude worse than COVID.

I would guess that if George McGovern had kept his stupid opinions on diet to himself in the 1970s, and Ancel Keyes went into, say, dentistry instead of pathology, and the USDA never had a chance to get its grubby little paws on grocery store shelves, COVID might not have become such a monster. It can indeed lead to very severe illness - but in almost all cases it's in people with some manifestation of metabolic syndrome. Given that even children and teenagers are now commonly showing signs of severe metabolic derangements, it's hardly a surprise that people in their 40s are dying.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:09 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am
If this virus mainly targeted kids, I'm sure we'd all have a different perspective.
You mean like the 1918 flu, in which the bulk of fatalities were in young adults and kids?

Not really, then. There are way too many comparisons of COVID to the 1918 flu. In terms of #deaths/unit population and #years of life lost, there is just no comparison. And by that I mean that the 1918 flu was an order of magnitude worse than COVID.

I would guess that if George McGovern had kept his stupid opinions on diet to himself in the 1970s, and Ancel Keyes went into, say, dentistry instead of pathology, and the USDA never had a chance to get its grubby little paws on grocery store shelves, COVID might not have become such a monster. It can indeed lead to very severe illness - but in almost all cases it's in people with some manifestation of metabolic syndrome. Given that even children and teenagers are now commonly showing signs of severe metabolic derangements, it's hardly a surprise that people in their 40s are dying.
I agree.

What I gather from reading history of early Chicago mainly, 1800s to early 1900s, life, in general, was harder, disease more rampant, and early death was much more of a given with Cholera and dysentery, for example, seemingly killing people all the time. And they just knew a lot less about what was happening.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... s/432.html
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:16 pm

Another died with VS of video, for posterity
https://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/iTkquSLd-EAYoNgFe.html

I expected it to go away after the election. Didn't know Trump could refuse to concede, + that people would accept the narrative that he couldve prevented the crisis with "better management". So they'll keep riling up the libs until he's out.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:42 pm
But this is the first time that has ever happened!
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm

This is the first time it was named after an overpriced imported beer that smells like pee.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:
"That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

Maybe global warming will help.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 am

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:
"That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

Maybe global warming will help.
It's called Climate change PP. It has never been called Global warming and before it wasn't called global warning it wasn't on the cover of time or whatever being called a new ice age. Also everyone has died of AIDS like we were told we would before we died of SARS or Ebola or whatever else we've died from.

COVID is a giant power grabbing scam fellas. Even if this is a slightly worse flu year (debatable), we've given up everything in exchange for nothing.

And it allowed a hoax to be spread that Joe Biden is the most popular human in history lol.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:23 am

The Covid and Biden hoaxes have a lot in common. It's official policy of FOX, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Google, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, WaPo, NYT etc. to promote both hoaxes and remove content, censor, blacklist or insult anyone who disagrees.

Please ask yourself why content and debate about a pandemic or a national election needs this type of treatment?

Its the same reason poll watchers were kicked out of democrat cities when they flipped the states to Biden with truckloads of mysterious votes.

The truth is never afraid lies, but liars are afraid of the truth.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Woo, haven’t looked at the forum for a few days.

Biden and Covid are hoaxes now, guess I didn’t miss much
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm
Woo, haven’t looked at the forum for a few days.

Biden and Covid are hoaxes now, guess I didn’t miss much
No but we did miss you Cort. Where have you been? Why did you think you could take time off????
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 pm

There's only a couple posters with extreme views.

Just to be sure this in the thread, Fauci on masks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

Reddit celebrating the death of republicans by (with?) covid
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... s/gi0w2yd/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:23 am
The Covid and Biden hoaxes ...
I've met two people on this forum who know firsthand that Covid is not a hoax.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 am
SomeDude wrote:
Covid itself is not a hoax.
What is a hoax is the claim that it is so uniquely deadly that all of our civil rights must be suspended until it is completely gone.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 am
dualstow wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
What is a hoax is the claim that it is so uniquely deadly that all of our civil rights must be suspended until it is completely gone.
Fair enough. I've turned something of a corner in that I think the damage to the economy does not warrant what they're doing to restaurants, for example. But I think "covid hoax" is too concise to let pass without comment.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 am
dualstow wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
Fair enough. I've turned something of a corner in that I think the damage to the economy does not warrant what they're doing to restaurants, for example. But I think "covid hoax" is too concise to let pass without comment.
Yeah, agree. COVID is a real virus and it is certainly a killer for vulnerable populations.

It's the response to COVID that's at issue. We're behaving as though it had the mortality of the Black Death. The lockdowns we're experiencing now are almost perfectly parallel to the measures put in place in 1347-49 - right down to the masks, travel restrictions, and Biden's isolation in his basement. That's the only known precedent for the current state of affairs. At least that I'm aware of. Anyone know of others?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 am
Yeah, agree. COVID is a real virus and it is certainly a killer for vulnerable populations.

It's the response to COVID that's at issue. We're behaving as though it had the mortality of the Black Death. The lockdowns we're experiencing now are almost perfectly parallel to the measures put in place in 1347-49 - right down to the masks, travel restrictions, and Biden's isolation in his basement. That's the only known precedent for the current state of affairs. At least that I'm aware of. Anyone know of others?
I think at this point we should let people take calculated risks if they want to live their lives. No massive concerts in stadiums, but no arrests for 6 people in your own home because the neighbor told on you. (I saw that clip).
Balance.

Everyone has access to the info that's out there. Is it really a hoax, or are some gov'ts just being a little too heavy handed?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 am

I think at this point we should let people take calculated risks if they want to live their lives. No massive concerts in stadiums, but no arrests for 6 people in your own home because the neighbor told on you. (I saw that clip).
Balance.

Everyone has access to the info that's out there. Is it really a hoax, or are some gov'ts just being a little too heavy handed?

It is a typical government response of overkill. They do it out of fear that if they do not do so and something not good happens then they will be pilloried for not having done all that they could have done (and should have done with great hindsight). See response to 9/11. Classic overkill. It's actually the type of behavior the populace has demanded from their politicians. You must never not do anything that could have protected us from a bad outcome.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:26 pm

yep
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:40 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:13 pm
What happens to the CDCs budget and ability to hold press conferences that anyone gives a shit about after covid ends? Wouldn’t the CDC be incentivized to drag out covid as long as possible?
Multiple physicians have told me they think the public health profession has seriously damaged its reputation in the eyes of the public as a result of the Covid mess.

That’s probably a big part of the reason why so many people are opting out of taking the vaccine. The public health professionals who are telling us the vaccine is safe are the same ones who have been telling us for nine months that Covid is the Black Death and that entire societies should be almost completely shut down to make things more convenient for 1% of the population.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 pm

This truly seems to have been accepted by all of us as the new normal as I was just shocked to see that no one had put anything here in this topic for nine (!!) days....

Vinny

Moderna CEO: We will have to live with COVID-19 ‘forever’

by Tyler Van Dyke, Breaking News Reporter | | January 13, 2021 07:53 PM

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... 19-forever
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 pm

On no....Not again!

https://www.rt.com/news/512142-victoria ... e-andrews/

I am interstate and now have to get a permit to return home :o
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/1 ... ity-award/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO