Western cultures embracing weakness...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Western cultures embracing weakness...

Post by doodle »

I thought the comments from the Asian contingency regarding this post were interesting. There is certainly a middle ground to be found. I don't have any kids, but if I did I think somewhere between "you are special no matter what" and straight up cutthroat tiger mom is probably best approach.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopin ... g_andor/

The trend in Western societies of embracing and/or encouraging personal weakness does more harm than good.
What started out as a push to see people beyond their shortcomings - whatever they are (physical, emotional, etc) - came from a place of love and care. Over time, that push has devolved into an ideology that encourages groupthink and creates a shared sense of entitlement. Here is an example. At work, I manage a team of people. When I hire, I look for people who I evaluate to be strong and capable because I need their help to solve problems. I recently inherited an employee - Employee X - who is capable but not emotionally strong. As a result, I am finding myself in conversations with Employee X about safe spaces and how his feelings get in the way of the rest of the group's ability to solve problems. The rest of us suffer because Employee X is emotionally weak. Instead of working on getting emotionally stronger, Employee X feels entitled in slowing the rest of us down. This is a micro example of a much bigger macro problem in the West. If we don't move beyond this embracing of collective weakness, our future looks grim.