Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Yea cool article, adding it to my henokien files. The idea of staying small and doing your one thing really well is how I'd think to operate a business so that really resonates.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

About to start my shift. I can’t wait to quit this megacorp job. :P
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:58 am About to start my shift. I can’t wait to quit this megacorp job. :P
Join the Megacorp management team https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hEfKnaIRA
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just weighed in yesterday at 204 pounds. That's 11 pounds down since the beginning of November.

I rewarded myself with my first cheat meal:

- 3 servings fish
- side of veggies
- 1 apple
- 2 dozen grapes
- coffee with sugar
- 3 chocolate protein bars

Pretty tame as far as cheat meals go, but the sheer volume of food I ate yesterday was way above my normal budget. Much more in line with the "good old days".
💻 DITM 📚
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:59 am I just weighed in yesterday at 204 pounds. That's 11 pounds down since the beginning of November.

I rewarded myself with my first cheat meal:

- 3 servings fish
- side of veggies
- 1 apple
- 2 dozen grapes
- coffee with sugar
- 3 chocolate protein bars

Pretty tame as far as cheat meals go, but the sheer volume of food I ate yesterday was way above my normal budget. Much more in line with the "good old days".
It actually looks like a fairly solid meal with not a ton of calories in it. Though I have no idea how many calories are in fish or in the protein bars. The latter ones could be loaded with calories?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Sweet article, dualstow.

Too bad that the Democrats effectively prevent businesses from being passed down like that, generation to generation, via low thresholds for the estate tax. I go out of my way to patronize generational businesses where possible, but they are getting harder to find.

Of course, increased mobility (translate: the younger generation wants to move to Venice Beach or work in Silicon Valley) means it's also less likely that the younger generation wants to carry on the business.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Update on my wifi situation. As an experiment I disconnected from the 5ghz band and tried connecting using 2.4ghz.

Connectivity problems seem to be solved now. Crazy good range. Maybe interference from neighbouring devices on the same frequency?
💻 DITM 📚
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

A quick Google search suggests that 2.4GHz indeed allows for more range but at the tradeoff of lower speeds. 5GHz can allow faster data transmission but generally has less range. This is congruent with the range problem I'm experiencing in my house.
💻 DITM 📚
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

The higher the frequency, the less 'transparent' your walls are.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:23 pm The higher the frequency, the less 'transparent' your walls are.
Yeah that's similar to what the google search pulled up.

Funny enough, at 5ghz my laptop is able to maintain a consistent connection when placed at the same distance from the router as my phone. The phone, however, seems to need to step down to 2.4GHZ to get the same consistency.
💻 DITM 📚
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Much better wifi antenna in your mac than in your phone.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Makes sense. Figured as much.

I’m just happy I don’t have to futz around with purchasing a repeater or extender.
💻 DITM 📚
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Paso Robles

Post by Mark Leavy »

I landed in Paso Robles, CA for the night. I expected the town to be completely shut down, so I had some sausages pre-loaded in my cooler.

The garrulous check in manager at my motel had plenty to say.

The City Council unanimously voted to continue to allow indoor or outdoor dining to whatever extent the restaurants felt like accommodating. In full defiance of governor Newsom.

Bravo! I fully support ballsiness and decided to eschew the cooler bangers for a night on the town.

Braised pork rib jalapeño burger patty and some local wine.

ribburger.jpeg
ribburger.jpeg (191.34 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
I talked to the owner for a bit. He was assembling outdoor heaters. He told me the city promised him that he could extend his dining space into the street up until 3 months after 100% Covid restrictions had been lifted. Whatever that means. So he took a gamble and bought $20K worth of tables, heaters, awnings and parapets.

Soon after my first glass of Austin Hope, Gayle wheeled in.

gayle.jpeg
gayle.jpeg (278.91 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
I detected a British accent and so asked her what part of London she was from. Southeast. Particle physicist. Has been working in the US most of her life. Also pianist, composer, poet.

We talked about all of those things. She was sharp as hell and knew her stuff. Also we talked about her accident and her ex-husband and her new lover. And also about living in California, New Mexico, Colorado and Alaska.

And then, after a brief pause, the conversation started over again. Exactly from scratch. This process repeated five more times over the course of the evening.

Each time, joyous over the greatness of life, confident in her accomplishments and optimistic about the future.

Fortunately, I had just had the same experience with my own mother two months ago, and caught on to it on the first go round.

What a fantastic mind in Gayle. Fuck dementia.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Thanks for the cool story, Mark.

Random trivia: When I lived near Paso Robles for a few years, I always thought it was pronounced in the Spanish way like Paso “Robeless”. But eventually I discovered that many, if not most, of the residents of the town pronounce it Paso “Robels”.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I did not know that.
I still use the Spanish pronunciation. I’ll work on changing it.

Only this year, I learned that San Pedro, CA is pronounced San Peeedro. By the locals.

Fortunately, I can say Amarillo and Nevada like an Anglo, but San Rafael still gets me corrected.

I just cannot wrap my head around Buena Vista, Colorado.
Even after hearing how the locals pronounce it about 20 times it just doesn’t stick.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:47 pm I did not know that.

Only this year, I learned that San Pedro, CA is pronounced San Peeedro. By the locals.

Fortunately, I can say Amarillo and Nevada like an Anglo, but San Rafael still gets me corrected.

Even after hearing how the locals pronounce it about 20 times it just doesn’t stick.
Is how locals pronounce things the correct pronunciations?

I live not that far from Holyoke, Massachusetts. How would you pronounce it? I think you might pronounce it how I still pronounce it after living in western Massachusetts for 50 years - "Holy-oke". You know how many natives pronounce it? "Ho-yoke". Which is the correct pronunciation?

Prior to living here I'd grown up in Rhode Island. Sometime in the 90s I took a young kid with me to visit my friends and their two sons in Rhode Island. He could not believe how their sons pronounced things. While we there we came across a book about Rhode Island-ese, explaining what Rhode Islanders meant when they said certain things.

Who here knows what "Jeet?" means?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm Is how locals pronounce things the correct pronunciations?
Yes. Unless you really want the local people to give each other knowing winks when you walk into the room.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm I live not that far from Holyoke, Massachusetts. How would you pronounce it? I think you might pronounce it how I still pronounce it after living in western Massachusetts for 50 years - "Holy-oke". You know how many natives pronounce it? "Ho-yoke". Which is the correct pronunciation?
Seriously, Vinny. Pronounce it like the natives do. You're wrong if you don't. And if the neighbors 3 doors down pronounce it differently, then do it their way when you are there.

That is how language works. There is no 'rule book' of correct pronunciation. Language is how people speak. Dictionaries and grammar follow the people, not the other way around.

In the USA, I say Prague. In the Czech Republic, I say Praha.
In the USA, I say Paris. In France, I say Paree.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm Is how locals pronounce things the correct pronunciations?
Yes. Unless you really want the local people to give each other knowing winks when you walk into the room.
And, those "knowing winks" signify exactly what? That one is NOT a local, born and bred there? And?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:04 am
vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm I live not that far from Holyoke, Massachusetts. How would you pronounce it? I think you might pronounce it how I still pronounce it after living in western Massachusetts for 50 years - "Holy-oke". You know how many natives pronounce it? "Ho-yoke". Which is the correct pronunciation?
Seriously, Vinny. Pronounce it like the natives do. You're wrong if you don't. And if the neighbors 3 doors down pronounce it differently, then do it their way when you are there.

That is how language works. There is no 'rule book' of correct pronunciation. Language is how people speak. Dictionaries and grammar follow the people, not the other way around.

In the USA, I say Prague. In the Czech Republic, I say Praha.
In the USA, I say Paris. In France, I say Paree.
And, when in the south you sound like you were brought up in the south? And, when you are in Boston you sound like you were brought up in Boston?

Is it soda or pop? You use whatever word is most commonly used in that area?

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:09 am Is it soda or pop? You use whatever word is most commonly used in that area?
Yes. Because I love language.

I have gotten in trouble at times by subconsciously mirroring voice patterns when I meet someone new at a party.

I was in Nice one time and my French is so horrible that the waiter refused to speak to me in French and switched to broken English - with a heavy French accent. Without even realizing it, I started answering him in English with a horrible French accent. My date had to punch me in the arm before I realized I was doing it.

This was me in Pensacola a few months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-TpUlJ7Z60
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm

I live not that far from Holyoke, Massachusetts. How would you pronounce it? I think you might pronounce it how I still pronounce it after living in western Massachusetts for 50 years - "Holy-oke". You know how many natives pronounce it? "Ho-yoke". Which is the correct pronunciation?

Prior to living here I'd grown up in Rhode Island. Sometime in the 90s I took a young kid with me to visit my friends and their two sons in Rhode Island. He could not believe how their sons pronounced things. While we there we came across a book about Rhode Island-ese, explaining what Rhode Islanders meant when they said certain things.

Vinny
In parts of the deep south it means "Did you eat?"
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:08 am
vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm Who here knows what "Jeet?" means?

Vinny
In parts of the deep south Greater Appalachia it means "Did you eat?"
FTFY.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 am Yes. Because I love language.
You would have loved rural Australia :D
https://nomadsworld.com/aussie-slang/
Most of these words were in common use, but not so much now in the major cities.
Language has changed since mass immigration started.

The small town I came from the term "Feeding the chooks" was considered an insult. ::)
And no, I cannot post its real meaning.....

Edit: Near where we used to live in the 60's -> https://www.grampianshistory.org.au/gallery/
Last edited by Hal on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:08 am
vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Vinny
In parts of the deep south it means "Did you eat?"
You get the prize!!!!!! That is also Rhode Islander-ese!!!

Vinny