Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by barrett » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:31 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:38 am
WiseOne, I have been trying to find and understand anything related to flu season vs. Covid, and came across this chart. (Second to last one in the article)

I’d be interested in your take. Has the regular flu been completely negated by Covid, or something else? For example the data for Chicago shows only one ICU admission for the flu since late Sept.

I asked something similar a couple pages back but there’s been so much posting may have been missed.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
I'm not WiseOne but my layman take on the last two charts is that it's maybe still a few weeks early to really know what flu deaths are going to look like this winter. Meaning that they don't typically really ramp up until late December/early January.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:31 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:38 am
WiseOne, I have been trying to find and understand anything related to flu season vs. Covid, and came across this chart. (Second to last one in the article)

I’d be interested in your take. Has the regular flu been completely negated by Covid, or something else? For example the data for Chicago shows only one ICU admission for the flu since late Sept.

I asked something similar a couple pages back but there’s been so much posting may have been missed.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
I'm not WiseOne but my layman take on the last two charts is that it's maybe still a few weeks early to really know what flu deaths are going to look like this winter. Meaning that they don't typically really ramp up until late December/early January.
Barrett, thanks for posting that page!

Yes it's true that flu usually peaks in January, but it typically starts ramping up noticeably by early December. And, you really can't separate it from other cold viruses which can do the same thing to an elderly, medically compromised person. So some hospitals call it "seasonal respiratory illness" instead of flu, which is probably more accurate. The available tests aren't sensitive or specific enough to differentiate flu from other bugs anyway.

The answer to Cortopassi's question is that there are several reasons why a patient presenting with respiratory illness can test positive for COVID, which we've covered here before so I'm not going to repeat it. One additional reason is that they managed to get COVID before they had a chance to get the flu.

It does appear that in some areas that were relatively spared in the spring and summer, there is some serious COVID action going on. But, my guess is that in the places (like NYC) that had their big COVID wave already, winter respiratory season is going to be right in line with past ones. We'll see.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm

8D84AAC9-5225-4123-9E1A-73A849EA52D7.jpeg
8D84AAC9-5225-4123-9E1A-73A849EA52D7.jpeg (80.07 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Question to the forum : any thoughts on where to go for the least restrictions?

I'm in Nevada for a couple of weeks and they are putting the clamps on. Just went from 50% occupancy to 25% occupancy - and possibly 0% next week. Thank Yahweh that I have a George Foreman in the car...

After that, I have some business to do in California in the middle of December. My sources tell me that they are moving from Purple to Ultra Double Secret Ultraviolet. I assume that means no ribs and margaritas on the patio.

About 12/21 I will be free to start searching for a more sane domicile. Hopefully somewhere warm. The only good prospects I see right now are Arizona and Florida.

Does anyone have some first hand knowledge? Better suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:23 pm

No first hand, but if Terlingua is shut down, we’ve come to the end of the world.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:32 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:23 pm
No first hand, but if Terlingua is shut down, we’ve come to the end of the world.
That is a hell of a good idea. Big Bend has been on my list of 'must see' for quite a while.
Thanks!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:51 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:32 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:23 pm
That is a hell of a good idea. Big Bend has been on my list of 'must see' for quite a while.
Thanks!
Check out Fort Davis for a look at the fort and get some Mountain Oysters to supplement your ribeye. And the old cinnabar mines are worth a look at Terlingua.

Big Bend NP is the quietest place I have ever been. We stopped around 50 years ago at a saber tooth tiger display on the way to the park from Marfa or Alpine (my memory is fuzzy on the exact name and location of the places) and no one else was there. Not a sound, no birds, insects, etc. I remember being able to hear my resting heart beat - quite noticeable. Erieeeeeeeeeeee! :)
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 am

Mark,

As you are already in Nevada I wanted to ask if you have ever been to the Utah parks. My wife and I recently spent a bit of time in Arches & Canyonlands and they are both fantastic. Moab is the base for both. Zion and Bryce are also great with Zion being close to where you are (depending on whether or not you've moved north from Vegas). Don't know how restrictive Utah is now with Miss Rona. We were out there the 2nd week of November so you should ask around. I think you mentioned Sedona, AZ in a recent post. Also a great spot.

I love hiking so all of these places are heaven for me. Avoid anywhere that is administered by the Navajos right now (Antelope Canyon & I'm guessing Canyon de Chelly as well) as those have been closed to visitors since March (which for you might be an "opportunity").

You've been to so many places that you may already know all of these spots. If I had to pick one area out there, it would be the holy trinity of Moab/Arches/Canyonlands.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:08 am

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm
8D84AAC9-5225-4123-9E1A-73A849EA52D7.jpeg (masks-flu-covid)
I have to admit, that's pretty good. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:45 am

Now that I think of it, Terlingua IS the end of the world.

Let us know what you find.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:33 am

barrett wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 am
Mark,

As you are already in Nevada I wanted to ask if you have ever been to the Utah parks.
Yes, I've been through all of those parks. Just beautiful. Never hurts to see / hike them again, though.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:52 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:08 am
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm
8D84AAC9-5225-4123-9E1A-73A849EA52D7.jpeg (masks-flu-covid)
I have to admit, that's pretty good. O0
I lold.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:49 pm

It begins...

https://nypost.com/2020/12/04/san-franc ... -lockdown/

San Francisco just announced a total lockdown, more severe than what we had in NYC back in the spring.

Goodbye to Calfornia's economy. I expect very few small businesses will make it through this.

And, too bad they didn't catch WHO's report, based on multiple medical journal articles, about the ineffectiveness of lockdowns.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:01 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:49 pm
It begins...

https://nypost.com/2020/12/04/san-franc ... -lockdown/

San Francisco just announced a total lockdown, more severe than what we had in NYC back in the spring.

Goodbye to Calfornia's economy. I expect very few small businesses will make it through this.

And, too bad they didn't catch WHO's report, based on multiple medical journal articles, about the ineffectiveness of lockdowns.
I doubt that would have mattered.
They are mad with power and don't give a crap about the people suffering under their tyranny.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Well, they're effective at getting everyone to shop at Amazon. And if anyone's mad about that, they can have a Zoom protest.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:36 pm

This seems to be an apt quote to put in this topic...

Vinny

Many medical facts are not facts in any sense of the
word, they have simply been made up. And that, ladies
and gentlemen, is a fact.

—Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, Doctoring Data
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Our guiding light is better than mere medical facts. We have The Science.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Message from Riverside County Sheriff's Department

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvRme0h2oY
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm
vnatale wrote:

Orwell talked about the "Ministry of Truth" in 1984 but I think he got the title wrong. It will be the "Ministry of Science". They will tell us what the science says. The administrator will occupy a cabinet position and thus need to be confirmed by the senate so we can all agree that they are trustworthy. Doodle will probably like it.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 am

I've got a question. We are 10 months into this pandemic and we are still arguing over the effectiveness of wearing a mask. There appears to be an issue of personal rights, efficacy of the mask, as well as the subject has obviously been politicized.

Do we have any high quality studies on the efficacy of the different types of face coverings? I'm speaking of published scientific studies showing what type of mask(s) filter the virus particle, both for receiving and transmitting.

This kind of data just might prove effective in addressing this volatile issue, and minimize "opinions" from Fauci, Trump, Biden, et al.

Also, it seems medical academia would be looking closer at monitoring antibodies in previous Covid patients. There are estimates, all over the place, as to how long a person is immune after the infection. Isn't this really important to know going forward?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 am

pp4me wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:29 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm
vnatale wrote:

Orwell talked about the "Ministry of Truth" in 1984 but I think he got the title wrong. It will be the "Ministry of Science". They will tell us what the science says. The administrator will occupy a cabinet position and thus need to be confirmed by the senate so we can all agree that they are trustworthy. Doodle will probably like it.
Seems like science is just politics with more data.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:33 pm

whatsherface - I love my mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYQU1WRGxI
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:55 pm

I had my annual Medicare wellness "visit" (it was telemedicine) with my doctor today. We discussed the vaccine.

He said he's advising taking it as soon as Dr. Fauci recommends it. During our 1/2 meeting I several times wanted to ask him, "So that means you did not vote for Trump?".

He added that I'd probably not be able to get it until next summer...until those way ahead of me in priority first get the vaccine.

I had another friend (75 years old) tell me last week that in Massachusetts there are about 2,000,000 people ahead of him.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:29 pm

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Elon The Magnificent.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.