Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 »

Awesome side effect of my wine study: less time spent thinking about my portfolio and wanting to tinker with it.

I also learned a new word: tannins.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm
dualstow wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 pm What are your guys' favourite wines?
Tempranillo, by a mile (that’s kilometer in Americanese).
Agreed. But I can almost never find a good Tempranillo in the states. It doesn’t compare with the Tempranillo wines in Logroño. Except last week in Basalt CO at the Tempranillo restaurant. Tasted just like Spain.
I haven’t had the pleasure. Sounds nice.
Smith, i actually don’t know that much about wine. I just know what I like. I’d say a recommendation from Mark is worth its weight in gold.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 pm
I haven’t had the pleasure. Sounds nice.
Smith, i actually don’t know that much about wine. I just know what I like. I’d say a recommendation from Mark is worth its weight in gold.
Too late. Found a cheap one and I'm going to pair it with some nice dinner tomorrow. 8)

wine.png
wine.png (266.87 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

White wine from Soave (Soave Classico), in Italy, is very good. If you can find a Soave eiswein you should try it.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm The only time I remember seeing someone black out in front of my eyes was the result of Everclear. It's an impressive beverage.
In college they used to make a very insidious punch consisting of Everclear, ginger ale, and a couple of flavors of sherbet.

I never liked drinking very much and have never been drunk, but a cup of that definitely had a noticeable effect.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mountaineer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 pm What are your guys' favourite wines?
Red and white. 😉. On a more serious note: Kirkland Malbec.
That's okay but some of the other Argentinian Malbecs that they carry at our "local" (60 miles away) Costco are better, and not much more money, e.g., <= $10.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm The only time I remember seeing someone black out in front of my eyes was the result of Everclear. It's an impressive beverage.
In college they used to make a very insidious punch consisting of Everclear, ginger ale, and a couple of flavors of sherbet.

I never liked drinking very much and have never been drunk, but a cup of that definitely had a noticeable effect.
That is a statement! In my extremely brief drinking career of less than three years, that was my generally my only motivation for drinking! At a quite young age -- early elementary school - my parents would each drink a bottle of beer for supper and I'd beg them to let me drink the last inch or so of the bottles. And, oftentimes, they'd let me. I actually liked the taste of beer then. But when I started drinking for real at 21 1/2 (3 1/2 years past the legal drinking age) I did not like the taste of beer at all. But at that point drinking it was serving a goal.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:25 am But at that point drinking it was serving a goal.
Gasp, I hardly ever drink anymore.

Beer in the early days was a means to an end, like Vinny states. There are a few beers I am ok with (Guinness, Blue Moon and Shock Top), but I will not go out and buy beer for myself, only if we are giving a party... which hasn't happened in 10 months...

Wine, I like sweeter, generally Zinfandel types, Moscato, Riesling. But again, I will not buy normally.

Hard liquor, I had up until last year partially filled bottles of gin, vodka, brandy, and tequila in the basement from literally the 1990s. I tossed them all.

Drinking makes me get up at night to pee, and screws up my sleep. Not worth it anymore!

Pug, the last beer I had was at your place.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Aight boys, it's here. 8) 8) 8)

image0-3.jpeg
image0-3.jpeg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:30 pm Aight boys, it's here. 8) 8) 8)

image0-3.jpeg
You must have gotten a wild hair to splurge on that. 🤣
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:18 pm

image0-3.jpeg
It is 1/4 the price per bottle when ordering from the U.S. compared to buying here locally in Canada... even after shipping and applicable import duties.

About 70 bucks for a 6 month supply compared to 120 dollars (plus tax) for a 3 month supply locally.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

image0-3.jpeg
It is 1/4 the price per bottle when ordering from the U.S. compared to buying here locally in Canada... even after shipping and applicable import duties.

About 70 bucks for a 6 month supply compared to 120 dollars (plus tax) for a 3 month supply locally.
This is totally opposite to people from the United States driving to Canada to get their medical prescriptions fulfilled at much reduced prices?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

image0-3.jpeg

Hopefully the cost per wild hair will decrease as time sprouts forward. Are you depreciating this outlandish growth investment appropriately? 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:01 pm
This is totally opposite to people from the United States driving to Canada to get their medical prescriptions fulfilled at much reduced prices?

Vinny
Yup. You hit the nail right on the head.

I'm not sure why, but Canadians are getting shafted with minoxidil prices here.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

First thing that came to mind when I read Smithy's hair post :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfbGzL8IWRI
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Hal wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 pm First thing that came to mind when I read Smithy's hair post :o

Hahahaha! I just did my first application of the minoxidil. I'll report back on a month-by-month basis what my results are like. ^-^

Is anyone going out or doing anything for Halloween? I don't think our family is even going to answer the door to hand out candy this year...
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:13 am
Hal wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 pm First thing that came to mind when I read Smithy's hair post :o

Hahahaha! I just did my first application of the minoxidil. I'll report back on a month-by-month basis what my results are like. ^-^

Is anyone going out or doing anything for Halloween? I don't think our family is even going to answer the door to hand out candy this year...
If I were going out, which I'm not, I would have worn this: Image
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I'm mulling some wine. Gonna have some friends over to drink it and look at the moon and shoot the shit. TBH I thought we were also going to hand out candy to kids, but evidently my town had trick or treating a couple nights ago without me realizing it. Sneaky rascals.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:13 pm Most of us are of the thinking in this book (I think). He covers everything in 4-8 page snippets. Things that I have otherwise read whole books on are nicely summarized here.

Like cholesterol, fats, wheat, food pyramid, salt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Doctor-T ... 162860378X
Thanks again for this. Though I have read much and many books on the topics of food, nutrition, health, this book (which I read Thursday / Friday nights) gave me a lot of information not prior known to me.

I did take his homework seriously. Buying 11 more books from those he recommended at the end of each chapter.

The book has already had it influence in my choice of what foods I chose to buy today.

Therefore, for me, you made an excellent book recommendation!

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Workout today:

- 20 minute stair climber
- 35 pull ups
- 35 dips
- 35 chin ups
- 70 to 250 pound calf raise in 9 sets
- 15 sets deadlift pyramid
- 125 crunches in sets of 25
- 125 push ups in sets of 25

Trying to do more compound movements to be more efficient with time and focusing on a solid foundation of fitness. ^-^
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:34 pm Workout today:

- 20 minute stair climber
- 35 pull ups
- 35 dips
- 35 chin ups
- 70 to 250 pound calf raise in 9 sets
- 15 sets deadlift pyramid
- 125 crunches in sets of 25
- 125 push ups in sets of 25

Trying to do more compound movements to be more efficient with time and focusing on a solid foundation of fitness. ^-^
I could never, ever at ANY time in my life do ANYTHING even approaching what you did.

Question, though. On both the pull ups and the chin ups. Do you go totally to the bottom and essentially start one from bottom or are they the ones where you don't get to the bottom and just keeping doing them with a dead pause at the bottom.

Related question for push-ups. Does your chest hit bottom and you hands off the floor after each one so you are starting each one from step one with no benefit from the prior one?

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:51 pm

I could never, ever at ANY time in my life do ANYTHING even approaching what you did.

Question, though. On both the pull ups and the chin ups. Do you go totally to the bottom and essentially start one from bottom or are they the ones where you don't get to the bottom and just keeping doing them with a dead pause at the bottom.

Related question for push-ups. Does your chest hit bottom and you hands off the floor after each one so you are starting each one from step one with no benefit from the prior one?

Vinny
With the push ups I descend until there's about gap about the size of a fist between my chest and the floor.

As for the pull ups and chin ups it varies. Sometimes I go all the way down to a pure hanging position and sometimes just above. Honestly, I'm not super scientific about it. It really just depends on how I feel hehe.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Guys, I think I found my jam. <3

image0-4.jpeg
image0-4.jpeg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 pm Guys, I think I found my jam. <3

image0-4.jpeg
Relevant:
https://youtu.be/XKXCZhA328A (1 of 2)
https://youtu.be/X8P3kF2DHj4 (2 of 2)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Nice, Smithers. I like pinot noir as well!
I never spend a lot of money on wine either because frankly it would be pearls before swine.
It's wine before...pearls. Maybe US$10-18.