Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 pm

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:01 pm

Interesting piece by John Derbyshire discussing the tweet below about how China suppressed COVID using AI.

https://www.unz.com/jderbyshire/give-us ... e-liberty/

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 am

pp4me wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:01 pm
Interesting piece by John Derbyshire discussing the tweet below about how China suppressed COVID using AI.

https://www.unz.com/jderbyshire/give-us ... e-liberty/

Welding people's apartment doors shut might have had something to do with it.
But I suspect the real "secret" is that they are lying their asses off.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:18 am

Free! Free at last ;D (well, nearly)
Think everyone will be leaving Victoria once the state borders open

<snip>
Melburnians still cannot visit regional Victoria until 8 November. And there’s nothing on in-home visits, which will supposedly be announced tomorrow.

Nevertheless, after 16 weeks of hard lockdown, Melburnians can finally breathe a collective sigh of relief. The nightmare is ending.
<snip>

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/1 ... son-gates/
Attachments
Escape from the Colony of Victoria.png
Escape from the Colony of Victoria.png (392.69 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 am

pp4me wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:01 am

"Order out of chaos." That's the slogan of the American Communist Party referring to the technique by which you bring about political and social transformation by creating a boogie man so frightening that the people beg for your intended "solution."

For an excellent review of how the coronavirus phenomenon has been the launching pad for effecting literally ALL of the global elite's technocratic goals, this very concise 18-minute documentary really hits the nail on the head. The role of artificial intelligence figures prominently, and it has nothing to do with China "suppressing" anything.

https://sarahwestall.com/documentary-gl ... beginning/
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 am

UK decided to report flu and covid combined

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1 ... 1373638657
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm

Looks like IL's Gov. Pritzker has shut down indoor service in bars and restaurants in Cook County in response to rising cases. That's a bummer.

CA's Gov. Newsom is like the hipster of the tyrannical governors. He was locking shit down like this before it was cool.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:58 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 am

Doesn't mean they won't break out the numbers separately, but probably it'll just be combined into one. Which will then be interpreted by the media as all COVID. Most interesting.

So here's a question. Respiratory virus infections are going up, er excuse me, "surging", like they do every year at this time. So is it going to be a worse than usual year, or a lighter than usual year?

Argument for worse than usual: COVID is now added to the mix. True, that simply means there are now N+1 viruses out there ready to infect you instead of N, but this one is particularly bad news for the sort of people who are in the most danger of dying during flu season.

Argument for lighter than usual: A lot of the aforementioned vulnerable people already said their farewells in the spring. So there is less "dry tinder" out there, which could make a significant impact on overall mortality figures. I suspect this is a major reason why the case fatality rate for COVID is dropping like a rock, from 3% initially to something like 0.2% now (per WHO).
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:40 am

As we know I'm a numbers guy...I tried to understand COVID from a layman's perspective via reading but found it impossible. There's probably good info somewhere, but I'm guessing you need the background and knowledge to understand it objectively. That's not in my kitbag.

Here's what the numbers say.

Clearly the medical profession has improved their knowledge in how to treat COVID witnessed via the mortality rate. A definite positive note in this story.

Clearly COVID is a killer for those whose health is compromised in some way. (Lost a first cousin in this category last week...he was the oldest of my generation of cousins). Statistically, this isn't even debatable at this point.

If not in the above category, then COVID can run from a nothing burger to the worst flu you've ever had in your life. Seems to be individual physiology dependent and there is a clear trend to definitive long-term health repercussions. Not for everyone, but for some for sure. Again, statistically, not even debatable at this point.

The rural areas of America are getting hammered right now and since most of rural America has bought into the this is a nothing burger/masks are all about freedom and the American way of life, the virus is going to do what it does...cuz the virus isn't political and could care less what your political beliefs are. Whether rural America goes the way of NY will probably depend on if medical infrastructure gets overloaded, improved treatment not withstanding. I'm in a rural state and healthcare rationing just started as the infrastructure is getting saturated.

This stuff ain't hard to figure out with a little time (as in what COVID does).

Pretty sure I posted basically the same post with data known at the time a couple hundred posts ago.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 am

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 am

Now it should be easy to compare one year to another without concern that viral respiratory illnesses of all kinds are not being indiscriminately relabeled as "CoVid." I'm anxious to see some objective comparisons of how the incidence of viral respiratory illness in general has changed (if at all) with the advent of CoVid. Previous attempts to compare "apples with apples" have suggested that this year has not been all that unusual.

What's different is that when boatloads of elderly and co-morbid people died last year from the flu, nobody gave a freaking damn.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cuomo was PAID to seed nursing homes with the virus

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:26 am

Being reported this morning: Cuomo received substantial funds from stakeholdlers within the medical industry to assure that CoVid carriers were brought into nursing homes. Take a look at who those stakeholders were and tell me this isn't a flat-out conspiracy to commit murder.

https://thenewamerican.com/cuomo-got-bi ... ome-order/
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:56 am

It's reassuring to know that Trump has turned our nation's strategy over to 'the boss'

https://youtu.be/0LZqeGrEEfM
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:01 am

Maddy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:26 am
Being reported this morning: Cuomo received substantial funds from stakeholdlers within the medical industry to assure that CoVid carriers were brought into nursing homes. Take a look at who those stakeholders were and tell me this isn't a flat-out conspiracy to commit murder.

https://thenewamerican.com/cuomo-got-bi ... ome-order/
This problem runs rampant throughout our political system on both sides of the aisle. We need a total overhaul and reevaluation of money as free speech.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:01 am
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm
Looks like IL's Gov. Pritzker has shut down indoor service in bars and restaurants in Cook County in response to rising cases. That's a bummer.

CA's Gov. Newsom is like the hipster of the tyrannical governors. He was locking shit down like this before it was cool.
gavin jb.png
Yep. Which one is cool and which one is the wannabe dork?
If people aren't already fleeing CA and IL fast enough due to high taxes and cost of living, tyranny will just help accelerate the process.
What would your response be when hospital capacity gets maxed out?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am

I have partial discussions about this with people at work about Pritzker.

Some givens:

--Cases are rising
--Hospitalizations are somewhat rising
--Deaths seem stable

In what universe does doing what Pritzker is doing help him? I really really want an answer to this question! If people really think it is some sort of power trip, what does it gain him? He will just continue to build up animosity and guarantee himself to be voted out of office next election?

So he's either:

1) Believing he is doing the right thing, which may, in the end prove out to be wrong or
2) Had some underlying agenda/reason that is not clear to me.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am

Some givens:

--Cases are rising
--Deaths seem stable

In what universe does doing what Pritzker is doing help him? I really really want an answer to this question! If people really think it is some sort of power trip, what does it gain him? He will just continue to build up animosity and guarantee himself to be voted out of office next election?

So he's either:

1) Believing he is doing the right thing, which may, in the end prove out to be wrong or
If cases are rising but hospitalizations and deaths aren't, why are they freaking out? People get nasty viruses EVERY YEAR. They stay home for a few days and then get better and life returns to normal.
Ummm..in my state of Montana we have numerous hospitals that don't have any more inpatient beds. They are at 100% capacity and winter hasn't even started. What would you recommend governor MangoMan when my dad or grandfather can't breathe?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:35 am

Related: Ballooning wait times in Canada for six common medical procedures — including hip replacements and MRIs
Is this the type of socialized medicine you think would be so awesome for the US to embrace?
As opposed to what? Doing the procedure, person not paying for it, and socializing costs? That seems to be our strategy.

A public and private option seem like the best strategy to me. As far as I know that exists in Europe and Canada.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 am

Trump makes it and this guy dies. It's a very weird virus

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/coronavi ... covid-19/
dmitriy-stuzhuk-07.jpg
dmitriy-stuzhuk-07.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am

doodle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 am
Trump makes it and this guy dies. It's a very weird virus

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/coronavi ... covid-19/
dmitriy-stuzhuk-07.jpg
For certain!

However, Trump did get a lot of excellent treatment available to no one else (probably) from that part of "socialized" medicine known as Walter Reed hospital.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:33 am

MangoMan wrote:
If cases are rising but hospitalizations and deaths aren't, why are they freaking out? People get nasty viruses EVERY YEAR. They stay home for a few days and then get better and life returns to normal.

The "cases" that are being counted currently are in reality positive tests - which includes a fair proportion of false positives. Read this post for some eye opening information on that:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/2 ... ive-tests/

And, a positive PCR test does not qualify a person as a COVID case. There must also be symptoms consistent with COVID, per the WHO and the CDC both. And, you must also have ruled out other likely possible etiologies.

Hospitalizations and deaths from respiratory illnesses always start rising around this time in the northern tier of the US at least. The real question is whether these are greater than the usual expected range. So far I'd say the answer is NO.

I really wish the media would stop their fear-mongering about COVID. If it weren't for that and the widespread PCR testing, we would have very little idea that anything out of the ordinary is going on. Take those two things away and life could well be perfectly normal right now. Elderly first cousins have died yes, but that sort of thing has always been part of life.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:33 am
MangoMan wrote:

The "cases" that are being counted currently are in reality positive tests - which includes a fair proportion of false positives. Read this post for some eye opening information on that:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/2 ... ive-tests/

And, a positive PCR test does not qualify a person as a COVID case. There must also be symptoms consistent with COVID, per the WHO and the CDC both. And, you must also have ruled out other likely possible etiologies.

Hospitalizations and deaths from respiratory illnesses always start rising around this time in the northern tier of the US at least. The real question is whether these are greater than the usual expected range. So far I'd say the answer is NO.

I really wish the media would stop their fear-mongering about COVID. If it weren't for that and the widespread PCR testing, we would have very little idea that anything out of the ordinary is going on. Take those two things away and life could well be perfectly normal right now. Elderly first cousins have died yes, but that sort of thing has always been part of life.
Wouldn't excess deaths be the best way to measure what is happening?

"

To be exact, the researchers reported that 299,028 more people died from Jan. 26 to Oct. 3 this year than on average during the same stretch from 2015 to 2019. Excess deaths also occurred at higher rates among Latinx, Asian, American Indian, and Black people than among white people, mirroring the disparities in official U.S. Covid-19 death counts.

Most likely, the excess deaths account for some otherwise untallied Covid-19 deaths — those who may have died without being tested or who died at home and whose deaths were not counted as caused by the coronavirus.

"
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am

Some givens:

--Cases are rising
--Deaths seem stable

So he's either:

He's on the Democrat team, which has only one objective: make sure Trump isn't re-elected.
That's why so many Democrat governors are acting against the interests of their citizenry.
I hear that from nearly 100% of my conspiracy minded friends.

Let's assume that's the case. So on Nov 4th, if Biden wins (or even Trump), are you positing that all the fear mongering suddenly lessens, and starts disappearing?

I mean, esp. if Biden wins, do you see that happening? It would be so obvious if that's the case. I don't see that happening.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:37 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:33 am
That's kind of what I've been wondering for a long time now. I remember back at the beginning of the year at physical therapy talking with the PT about how it was a bad flu year. Not ideal, but nothing we couldn't get through.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (62.76 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."