The real significance of the laptop

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

The real significance of the laptop

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

I can’t believe no one in the media is talking about this: If Biden wins, they will remarkably discover a conscience, turn on him, and viola, meet President Harris. The battle could be great fun, actually. The corrupt Old Guard versus the insurgents.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The real significance of the laptop

Post by pp4me » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am
I can’t believe no one in the media is talking about this: If Biden wins, they will remarkably discover a conscience, turn on him, and viola, meet President Harris. The battle could be great fun, actually. The corrupt Old Guard versus the insurgents.
I was just thinking this myself. If the Biden stories are true there is no way they are going to be able to make it all go away and it's going to end up as another Watergate, only far worse. Eventually the Dems are going to have to cut their losses and move on. I can see Biden leaving in a helicopter just like Nixon and then being pardoned for his crimes by president Harris just as Ford did with Nixon (or maybe not - I don' think Harris likes Biden all that much).

Who will Harris then choose for VP? Bernie Sanders? Elizabeth Warren?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 am
I Shrugged wrote:
I was just thinking this myself. If the Biden stories are true there is no way they are going to be able to make it all go away and it's going to end up as another Watergate, only far worse. Eventually the Dems are going to have to cut their losses and move on. I can see Biden leaving in a helicopter just like Nixon and then being pardoned for his crimes by president Harris just as Ford did with Nixon (or maybe not - I don' think Harris likes Biden all that much).

My understanding is that in that situation the nominee would have to be confirmed by both houses of Congress. So the answer depends hugely on what happens to the Senate.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:19 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am

This is exactly why no one is talking about it. If they talk about it now, Biden will be discredited now. If they wait until after the election, it just makes it that much easier to get rid of him later.

That's right. But I am surprised the alternative and right wing media has not thought of it. It's like they can't see the forest for the trees. Well, you heard it here first! :)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:23 am

pp4me wrote:

I think she would choose the way they choose running mates as yin and yang. She'd probably choose a white establishment person. Maybe even a man. Because, I think the Dem party could really fracture if they govern for the left wing of it. They can't afford to alienate the so called moderate wing.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 am
pp4me wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

My understanding is that in that situation the nominee would have to be confirmed by both houses of Congress. So the answer depends hugely on what happens to the Senate.
Yes, that triggers an interesting trip down memory lane.

First Spiro Agnew, Nixon's VP resigns due to scandal and Gerald Ford becomes the VP, confirmed by the Congress, as you say.

Nixon resigns and Gerald Ford becomes the POTUS, naming Nelson Rockefeller as VP.

Thus we end up with a POTUS and VP neither of which were elected by the voters.

I think I got that history mostly right from memory without looking it all up.

Add in the Vietnam war and the race riots and those were interesting times indeed.

We DID somehow survive as a nation however.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am
Xan wrote:
pp4me wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

First Spiro Agnew, Nixon's VP resigns due to scandal and Gerald Ford becomes the VP, confirmed by the Congress, as you say.

Nixon resigns and Gerald Ford becomes the POTUS, naming Nelson Rockefeller as VP.

Add in the Vietnam war and the race riots and those were interesting times indeed.

I think you got it all right. My memory conforms with yours.

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:39 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 am
pp4me wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am
Xan wrote:
pp4me wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

I think you got it all right. My memory conforms with yours.

VInny
Same here, and as Xan points out, Rockefeller had to be confirmed by both chambers of Congress. Of course, the parties were not as partisan in those days as they are today so I don't know that Rockefeller's successful appointment would be a good predictor of what to expect today. That was a time when we had a Congress. Today we have a circus, with no shortage of clowns I might add.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:26 am

The 25th amendment is for Joe's other problem. :)
Between the two things, he will be toast.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Just ONE of the things one gets from listening / watching C-Span.

They had a three hour show on today with callers alternating between Trump, Biden, Undecideds / Other callers to give their opinions of who won last night.

There was one woman who was going on and on about how Biden had lied about EVERYTHING last night. Then, at the end, in a by-the-way fashion, she threw out that she knew the laptop was real, that she'd talked to the person who had it.

This shocked the moderator and asked who that person was.

She stated that she had an medical appointment need the shop and decided to go into it. She was surprised that it was open, thinking that, perhaps, the owner would have been besieged. But she went in, he was there, she asked, and he confirmed.

She sounded credible as if not I would have expected to her have spoken nothing else but this encounter. Instead, she just added is at the end in a casual way, like it was no big deal.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."