Democracy Sucks... Dictatorships Rule!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Democracy Sucks... Dictatorships Rule!

Post by ahhrunforthehills »

Instead of ANOTHER election thread on why Biden sucks or Trump sucks... where you guys spend countless hours trying to justify your views to others who you can't sway.

Maybe consider that all of you are wrong? :o

Anybody see the recent historical study out of Purdue? They compared different types of societies and their downfalls throughout history.

They found that "good societies" (i.e. checks on power, a distribution of voice, ways to police corruption, equitable fiscal financing of the state, limits on greed, and leadership dedicated to public service) endured only a few more years on average than ruthless dictatorships (152 years vs 166 years)... but these "good societies" ended much more abruptly and intensely. The people actually suffered much worse because they became DEPENDENT on the infrastructure of that government for their survival.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 68704/full

There is no such thing as a perfect government. We all simply pick our poison. Democracy, it would appear, is simply just a more painful way to go.

Please consider spending more of your time researching investments so we can all get rich and accumulate global wealth... instead of spending all of your time figuring out how to get us to a "good-er society" where we all get poor and miserable ;)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Democracy Sucks... Dictatorships Rule!

Post by I Shrugged »

I've read blogs and articles by Americans who decamped to rural Mexico, Argentina, and other non first world nations. Their view is pretty uniformly that as a guest in such a country, the authorities leave you alone. And that the governments often are not very intrusive because they are too broke to do much more than provide for the basics.

I've decided that despite what wise men said in centuries past, there can't be any expectation of living in a free society under benevolent government. America and some other nations have had some good years, but it will end someday.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Democracy Sucks... Dictatorships Rule!

Post by vnatale »

ahhrunforthehills wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm Instead of ANOTHER election thread on why Biden sucks or Trump sucks... where you guys spend countless hours trying to justify your views to others who you can't sway.

Maybe consider that all of you are wrong? :o

Anybody see the recent historical study out of Purdue? They compared different types of societies and their downfalls throughout history.

They found that "good societies" (i.e. checks on power, a distribution of voice, ways to police corruption, equitable fiscal financing of the state, limits on greed, and leadership dedicated to public service) endured only a few more years on average than ruthless dictatorships (152 years vs 166 years)... but these "good societies" ended much more abruptly and intensely. The people actually suffered much worse because they became DEPENDENT on the infrastructure of that government for their survival.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 68704/full

There is no such thing as a perfect government. We all simply pick our poison. Democracy, it would appear, is simply just a more painful way to go.

Please consider spending more of your time researching investments so we can all get rich and accumulate global wealth... instead of spending all of your time figuring out how to get us to a "good-er society" where we all get poor and miserable ;)
Were you channeling Harry Browne here??!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."