Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Tom & Doodle Podcast. Who’s In?

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 am

Hal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 am
Here -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzu55W ... QIQ/videos
Excellent Hal!
That's only the money show. Any similar channel for the political one?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 am

You mentioned the FDA...why was it created in the first place over 100 years ago? As far as I can tell it was to address and rein in long-standing, serious abuses in the consumer product marketplace. My guess without knowing too much about its history is that it was probably the reaction to public outcry to corporations being less than honest and open about the contents and safety of their products. Perhaps the institution needs to be amended somewhat but to pretend that eliminating it entirely will solve all our problems is negating the reasons for its creation in the first place.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:58 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 am
You mentioned the FDA...why was it created in the first place over 100 years ago? As far as I can tell it was to address and rein in long-standing, serious abuses in the consumer product marketplace. My guess without knowing too much about its history is that it was probably the reaction to public outcry to corporations being less than honest and open about the contents and safety of their products. Perhaps the institution needs to be amended somewhat but to pretend that eliminating it entirely will solve all our problems is negating the reasons for its creation in the first place.

Anyone else read this book in high school?

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Dover-Thr ... 151&sr=8-1

An ardent activist, champion of political reform, novelist, and progressive journalist, Upton Sinclair is perhaps best known today for The Jungle — his devastating exposé of the meat-packing industry. A protest novel he privately published in 1906, the book was a shocking revelation of intolerable labor practices and unsanitary working conditions in the Chicago stockyards. It quickly became a bestseller, arousing public sentiment and resulting in such federal legislation as the Pure Food and Drug Act.|The brutally grim story of a Slavic family who emigrates to America, The Jungle tells of their rapid and inexorable descent into numbing poverty, moral degradation, and social and economic despair. Vulnerable and isolated, the family of Jurgis Rudkus struggles — unsuccessfully — to survive in an urban jungle.
A powerful view of turn-of-the-century poverty, graft, and corruption, this fiercely realistic American classic is still required reading in many history and literature classes. It will continue to haunt readers long after they've finished the last page.

The scene I still remember from reading it over 50 years ago is when one of the workers fell into the vat and just became part of the product!

Also, reading the book made me quite interested in the work of the "muckrakers". I was 16 or 17 years old when I read the book.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 am
Hal wrote:
Excellent Hal!
There's "The Five" on Fox News, with a couple of guys, a couple of intelligent Playboy bunnies, and of course the token black Democrat guy presenting the liberal point of view so that the others can pummel him. I hope he's paid well for what he has to deal with every day.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Hal wrote:
Excellent Hal!
There's "The Five" on Fox News, with a couple of guys, a couple of intelligent Playboy bunnies, and of course the token black Democrat guy presenting the liberal point of view so that the others can pummel him. I hope he's paid well for what he has to deal with every day.
For those who haven't seen "The Five", I'm pretty sure Juan Williams (the token black Democrat) is at least mostly an actor who is paid to recite the Democrat talking points. I'm not sure he actually believes any of that.

He used to fill in for Bill O'Reilly on occasion, and when he did that he sounded JUST LIKE O'Reilly. So was he lying then, or is he lying now? Or is he an actor?

Also, the way they "pummel" him is by pointing out his idiocies, which again are just recitations of the daily talking points. They don't really attack him personally.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:39 pm

WiseOne wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
Hal wrote:
Excellent Hal!
is he referring to harry browns political show? i downloaded a lot of HB mp3's a long time ago but i don't recall if it was one show or two...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Yes, and they were separate shows.

They are listed here, but apparently there is nothing behind the links.
http://harrybrowne.org/Archives/Archives.htm
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:27 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm
WiseOne wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
Hal wrote:
Excellent Hal!

I have never seen that show, but in my mind, the Tom and Doodle podcast wouldn’t be about me hammering doodle. Harry Browne never called Eugene stupid or belittled him. It sometimes because an animated conversation but never insulting and always respectful.

The goal is to change minds, not further polarize. If I belittled doodle then my previous libertarian supporters would cheer while any on-the-fence liberals would despise me and further solidify them in the liberal camp.
You could start by trying to convince the audience that we should remove any ban on civilians storing chemical and biological weapons in their garages. I think that will certainly win you quite a bit of support. We can then move on to privatizing our police force and judicial system.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 pm
WiseOne wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
Hal wrote:
Excellent Hal!
For those who haven't seen "The Five", I'm pretty sure Juan Williams (the token black Democrat) is at least mostly an actor who is paid to recite the Democrat talking points. I'm not sure he actually believes any of that.

He used to fill in for Bill O'Reilly on occasion, and when he did that he sounded JUST LIKE O'Reilly. So was he lying then, or is he lying now? Or is he an actor?

Also, the way they "pummel" him is by pointing out his idiocies, which again are just recitations of the daily talking points. They don't really attack him personally.
Have you ever read any of Juan Williams's books? I have plus have listened to him for years on Fox News Sunday. NO ACTOR! He believes what he says.

A solid human being.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."