Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by doodle » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 am

New Zealand yesterday. No masks or social distancing required.
rmafmk9d2gs51.png
rmafmk9d2gs51.png (708.02 KiB) Viewed 261 times


That could be because their nation seems to be largely free from this breed of animal that dominates the American landscape

https://youtu.be/5ukzFwBPwd4
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 am

doodle wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 am
New Zealand yesterday. No masks or social distancing required.
That could be because their nation seems to be largely free from this breed of animal that dominates the American landscape
Or because they have the most fierce border closure on the planet.
The New Zealand border is currently closed to almost all travellers to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
User avatar
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by doodle » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am

The fact is that they are attending crowded sporting events without masks while our numbers are continuing to increase in what is now being called a third wave while we lose nearly 1000 lives a day. The prime minister uses american education as a punchline and people laugh.

Donald Trump failed to lead this nation through this pandemic. Anyone in the business world doing this job as poorly as he did would have been fired.
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:42 am

doodle wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am
Donald Trump failed to lead this nation through this pandemic.
If you don't give any specifics that sounds like nothing more than the Democrat talking point we keep hearing over and over. It works because there is nothing to challenge. If you say he did X when he should have done Y then that can either be debated or else we can agree with you.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 am
New Zealand yesterday. No masks or social distancing required.

rmafmk9d2gs51.png



That could be because their nation seems to be largely free from this breed of animal that dominates the American landscape

https://youtu.be/5ukzFwBPwd4
There were some fans in the stands at last night's Dodgers / Braves game.

This picture is from the first game of their series.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (174.96 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4224
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by sophie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Has anyone considered the possibility that *nothing* that any governing body has done has either promoted or prevented the spread of the virus?

In other words, the spread of the virus is not anyone's fault. It's not Trump's fault, it's not Cuomo's fault, and so on. It's about the biology of epidemics. Trying to negate that biology is sort of like the kid who tries to empty the ocean into a sand pit on the beach using a little plastic bucket.

I remember that during the height of the AIDS epidemic, people who blamed the victims for their promiscuous/risky behavior, or said it was a judgment from God, were roundly condemned. I wish we had a bit of that sentiment today.
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:26 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Has anyone considered the possibility that *nothing* that any governing body has done has either promoted or prevented the spread of the virus?

In other words, the spread of the virus is not anyone's fault....

I have. That’s how it looks to me.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:58 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Has anyone considered the possibility that *nothing* that any governing body has done has either promoted or prevented the spread of the virus?

In other words, the spread of the virus is not anyone's fault. It's not Trump's fault, it's not Cuomo's fault, and so on. It's about the biology of epidemics. Trying to negate that biology is sort of like the kid who tries to empty the ocean into a sand pit on the beach using a little plastic bucket.

I remember that during the height of the AIDS epidemic, people who blamed the victims for their promiscuous/risky behavior, or said it was a judgment from God, were roundly condemned. I wish we had a bit of that sentiment today.
Is what you say somewhat analogous to saying that humans have had no effect on climate change? That we are just witnessing the natural course of climate change?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:03 am

Why Your Hand Sanitizer May Be Ineffective Or Tainted By Cancer-Causing Chemicals


https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2 ... 15ec2b6241
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:19 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:48 pm
sophie wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Has anyone considered the possibility that *nothing* that any governing body has done has either promoted or prevented the spread of the virus?

In other words, the spread of the virus is not anyone's fault. It's not Trump's fault, it's not Cuomo's fault, and so on. It's about the biology of epidemics. Trying to negate that biology is sort of like the kid who tries to empty the ocean into a sand pit on the beach using a little plastic bucket.

I remember that during the height of the AIDS epidemic, people who blamed the victims for their promiscuous/risky behavior, or said it was a judgment from God, were roundly condemned. I wish we had a bit of that sentiment today.
What IS Cuomo's fault is sending covid-positive patients into nursing homes.
That resulted in quite a few premature deaths.
It’s also Cuomo’s fault for attempting to take a victory lap with his new book.
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Hal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:04 am

Woo Hoo!

Latest news from "The Peoples Paradise"!
I can now get my hair cut after four months and travel up to 25 Km from home before I get my head kicked in >:D

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5665n.html

And Automatic car washes will be allowed; such freedom ;D

PS: At least some people have a sense of humour, they have been busy at Uncyclopedia!
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Victoria_Police
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 11.14.55 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 11.14.55 pm.png (70.06 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3302
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:58 am

HAH
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Post Reply