Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
In what way is supplying you with the full viewership numbers, thus showing how the CNN article was misleading you as to how many people watched each one, grasping at straws?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
Gosh, I hope they aren’t plastic straws, that would be terrible.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Now listening to the Biden Town Hall in its entirety. Only heard the start of it yesterday prior to switching to baseball games.

I decided to time the answer to the first question asked. It took him OVER six minutes! Obama used to drive me crazy by doing the same thing.

Taking that much time to answer a question is NOT concisely and powerfully answering the question!

And, am I still the only one noticing that Biden is constantly repeating his sentences, with my analysis that he must be doing this because at some level he is realizing what he is saying is so weak that he thinks if he says it twice it then has twice the power?

He just speaks in prototypical dull politician-speak. Which means I have a difficult time concentrating on what he is saying because it is so dull.

On the other hand, though I disagree with Trump on just about everything, I can listen to one of his rallies three times in a row because he is just so wildly entertaining! But not so in his Town Hall. He was terrible and came off as some kind of wacko!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

On the other hand, though I disagree with Trump on just about everything, I can listen to one of his rallies three times in a row because he is just so wildly entertaining! But not so in his Town Hall. He was terrible and came off as some kind of wacko!

Vinny
So maybe you've just summarized in two lines why rallies are Trump's weapon of choice, and why he may very well win. We Americans love to be entertained.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm
We Americans love to be entertained.
Yes, the enjoyment of entertainment is indeed a uniquely American predilection.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
The moderator of the next debate....

Let's get two questions out of the way to start....

Vice President Biden, how does the false story being pushed by the Trump campaign about your son Hunter make you feel.

Mr. President, are you now ready to admit that you are a white supremacist?
:) :) :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm
glennds wrote:
Is that true? I'm such a self-admitted provincial so I have no idea how much entertainment is enjoyed in every other country in the world.

Any of our non-Americans want to comment? Smith1776, our Canadian forum member? Our Australian forum member? Our European forum members?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
glennds wrote:
When I worked in hospital administration we used to marvel at how people would always choose the entertaining, charismatic smooth talking doctor who was borderline incompetent over the dorky physician who was in reality a truly superb surgeon.

Reminds me of the old joke about a small town with only two barbers, one immaculately groomed, and the other a sloppy mess. So you choose the immaculately groomed barber, only to realize it's the the slob who cuts his hair, immaculately.
Gimme the sizzle, hold the steak!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm

My comment about the enjoyment of humor being a uniquely American predilection was sarcastic, Vinny. :)

It is clearly a universal human trait.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm
Tortoise wrote:
glennds wrote:
When I worked in hospital administration we used to marvel at how people would always choose the entertaining, charismatic smooth talking doctor who was borderline incompetent over the dorky physician who was in reality a truly superb surgeon.

Reminds me of the old joke about a small town with only two barbers, one immaculately groomed, and the other a sloppy mess. So you choose the immaculately groomed barber, only to realize it's the the slob who cuts his hair, immaculately.
Gimme the sizzle, hold the steak!
It's the same as the best person for the job does not get hired. It's the person who does the best in the interview process.

Same as we elect not the best person for the job but the person who runs the best campaign. It could actually be the best person who is elected. Or, it could not.

Vinny
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:50 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am

If you know a better way, please share it.
Ask the nurses.
Or case managers, social workers, therapists, pharmacists/pharmacy techs, even the admitting clerks. They all know.
All you have to do is grab one and ask "off the record, which doctor would you choose if it were your loved one".
It's not hard.

Also, always go to your State Board of Medical Examiners website and in in 60 seconds you can pull up any licensed physician's complaint and disciplinary history. It's publicly accessible for a reason. Even one substantiated complaint is cause for concern. You'd be surprised what you often find.

Some people also recommend going to the jurisdictional court record website and looking for malpractice lawsuit history. I say take that with a grain of salt and maybe don't do it at all. I say this because we live in a uniquely litigious society where tort law and the economics of personal injury law encourage lawsuits, many of which are opportunistic and not necessarily a reflection of the provider's competence. Some states are far worse for this depending on whether their tort laws offer enhanced remedies (treble damages, liberal fee awards, consequential damages, etc.). In these states, volume of lawsuits will be higher simply because the legal landscape encourages it, not because the medical providers are any worse than anywhere else. Plus the vast majority of med mal lawsuits are settled, and for undisclosed terms. There is no indication of who "won" or "lost".
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm

The AMA and state medical licensing guarantee that all doctors meet our expected lofty levels of quality, so “bad doctors” in fact do not exist.

Hope that puts you all at ease. ;)