Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ray Dalio on Bonds

Post by mathjak107 »

Kevin K. wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 pm
Vil wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm
Kevin K. wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 am I can see why Jonathan Clements just split his bond allocation into half short-term Treasuries half short-term TIPS.
While I can see your point on short-term Treasuries, I can vividly recall couple of paragraphs from Craig's book that are related to TIPS, in essence (+cite):

- "Among the risks involved with TIPS is the integrity of the reporting process for inflation, also known as the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Even if
one believes that the CPI provides an accurate picture of inflation in the broader economy right now, the question is whether the government would
be tempted to manipulate the CPI during some future period of severe inflation. In fact, the U.S. CPI has been changed a number of times through
the years for various reasons. There is nothing to say it can't be changed again in the future."

-"TIPS have only been available in the United States since 1997 and have not been through a period of high inflation. Therefore, anyone stating how
TIPS would do during a period of high U.S. inflation is just guessing regardless of what credentials they hold. If the United States were to encounter
a period of high inflation, TIPS owners could easily begin to feel more like crash test dummies than investors"

- "the increases in the value of TIPS during periods of high inflation will never be great enough to offset the losses in the rest of the portfolio. TIPS are simply not as volatile as gold. As already discussed, in a crisis gold can have explosive price movements in excess of 100 percent annually. The chances of TIPS ever doing this are basically zero due to how they are priced by the markets"

Just some extra food for thought on TIPS, not necessarily do want to bring them under the lights for any further discussion :-)

Disclaimer: I am non-US, but following a variety of the US PP (local-currency hedged). Cannot spot a teddy bear anywhere around me :-)
Much as I admire Craig and J.M. Lawson and that book I think their views on TIPS are largely mistaken and are based on the fact that TIPS performed terribly during the 2008 market crash - which turns out to have more to do with Lehman Brothers than it does with TIPS per se (see link below).

William Bernstein has this to say about the "they can manipulate the CPI" trope:

"Some worry that the government may manipulate the CPI in a way that understates inflation and erodes the real purchasing power of TIPS. This is unlikely for the simple reason that the bond market would consider this to be a form of default, which would have two consequences: first, it would produce bond market turbulence of a sort that the Treasury could ill afford, and second, it would destroy the Treasury's future ability to offer them, possibly permanently. The United Kingdom first offered inflation-linked gilts in the early 1980s and scrupulously maintained the integrity of its inflation reporting."

Getting back to Jonathan Clements, what's he's doing is buying short-term tips (think VTIP) and short-term Treasuries as a low-duration barbell that's agnostic about inflation. That's entirely different than buying long-term TIPs as a substitute for LTT's which Rowland and Lawson rightly object to because they don't provide deflation insurance. However as Bernstein points out deflation is the least likely of the 4 economic scenarios the PP was designed to deal with and the most expensive to insure against. And remember Clements has his ~67% equities in fully internationally-diversified, small cap and value tilted funds, which according to Bernstein and others are the best long-term inflation hedge of all.

Here's the link to the article I mentioned about what happened to TIPS in 2008:

https://movement.capital/the-largest-ar ... s-in-2008/

All that said, I personally don't see TIPS of any duration priced with negative nominal interest rates as being appealing. For the 50% of my portfolio I have in fixed and cash I'm buying our annual 10K limit in iBonds, putting a decent chunk into NCUA insured 6-12 month CD's paying .60-.80% (better than 10 year Treasuries and just as safe IMHO) and including about 20% in Vanguard's BSV ETF, which is 70% government, 30% high-quality corporate, very short duration. Equities and gold are 25% TSM, 10% Total International and 15% Gold. That's the PP-inspired portfolio (which I admit is no longer very PP like in terms of percentages). Much less sophisticated than Mathjak 107's portfolio for sure, but easy to maintain.

But while Mathjak107 has his conventional and his inflation-fighting portfolio, I've decided after years of thinking about it to diversify across active and passive strategies, so the other half of my assets are in 80% Vanguard Wellesley, 20% Gold (see my thread on Wellesley in the Variable Portfolio forum here if interested). To be clear I'm not recommending anything I'm doing to anyone else. It's just a good-enough allocation that takes into account the knowns and the known unknowns of these crazy times as best I can. Needless to say I will happily revert to a more PP-like bond allocation if we ever get back to Treasuries with positive real returns.
my tips i own are already up in appreciation more than the 30 year yields..it has become an appreciation centered game . the tips are just an opposite bet from conventional bonds ... the bonds will get a kicker if inflation rises.

i think any portfolio weighting for inflation , but not severe inflation , should have tips at the base of the pyramid .

if you look at most real return funds that is exactly what they hold along with other inflation oriented assets .....

fidelity's strategic real return is tips , floating rate loans , mortgage reits and commodities..

"• The fund's assets are allocated among inflation-protected securities (including U.S. TIPS),
floating-rate high-yield bank loans, commodities and related investments, and real-estate-related
securities (including REITs), using a target weighting of 30%, 25%, 25% and 20%, respectively.
This strategic allocation attempts to take advantage of the low correlation among these security
types in effectively hedging inflation over time."
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

one thing i want to add is the conventional model is the fidelity insight income model , so it too is dynamic , only i don't have to think about what to do , they do ...

so while the assets in that model are positioned a particular way , every so often that mix can change and does ...
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

This is all true...but fundamentally they are no different than any other treasury other than the base value being increased annually due to CPI adjustments. The bigger, much bigger drivers are stated interest rate and duration which will hammer both Ts and TIPs.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

While I can see where a real return strategy could make sense for some people the Fido fund has anemic (as in 1-3 year plain vanilla corporates) returns and a hefty .75% ER.

As far as I know all the risk parity approaches use long duration TIPS. I just don’t see the sense in long-duration Treasuries of any sort in this environment. What am I missing?
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Thanks Kevin, that's a nice read. Though wondering how much TIPS Lehman has owned to flood the market so vastly..
Kevin K. wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 pm But while Mathjak107 has his conventional and his inflation-fighting portfolio, I've decided after years of thinking about it to diversify across active and passive strategies,
No worries, I am not taking anyone else's word for granted. I do have passive and active parts of my portfolio as well. I do use the active one really active for my day/swing trading adventures, however I was already contemplating a (tiny) bit on the allocation scheme of the passive. Was thinking in some re-allocation and moving forwards to X% of 7-10 treasuries vs Y% of TIPS (most likely the same maturity). But that's only a thought, apart of some quick backtest checks on some portfolio allocations - nothing more that I had the time to do. Anyway, nice thread (I am not quite interested in the many Trump vs Biden topics around ;D)
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Kbg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 pm This is all true...but fundamentally they are no different than any other treasury other than the base value being increased annually due to CPI adjustments. The bigger, much bigger drivers are stated interest rate and duration which will hammer both Ts and TIPs.
which is why i would only use short term tips ...
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Concur with whomever mentioned it earlier...this has been a high quality discussion with good perspectives all around. Thanks for everyone's well considered posts.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Kbg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:20 am Concur with whomever mentioned it earlier...this has been a high quality discussion with good perspectives all around. Thanks for everyone's well considered posts.
I agree! Good discussion for changing times!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Adding some more to the inflation model , I have some limit orders in .

I already am up more in vtip than I got in interest in shy
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills »

Not to rock the boat even further…

But many of us pretty much know that the Permanent Portfolio isn’t perfect... and isn’t REALLY “Permanent”. There have been many posts about what it would take to break it. If it turns out that mixing peanut butter and windex makes gold… everyone around here would have to rethink some things.

I think the reality is that the Permanent Portfolio is pretty much like modern car’s “lane assist” feature. If you are distracted with other things and start to swerve out of your lane, the cameras in the side mirrors detect it and simply steer you back in your lane. Fantastic. However, the more extreme the environments conditions are, the more that safety feature will break down.

This is the problem with the Permanent Portfolio. It needs firewalls for extreme environments. It needs to be a "Proactive Permanent Portfolio" to address low-occurrence events (zero yields, world reserve currency changes, hyperinflation, etc.). Additional rules that allow it to temporarily change its asset allocation to adjust for the change in risk (caused by a change in the underlying asset correlations due to the extreme event).

Some things that would probably have an impact on the risk-balance within a traditional Permanent Portfolio...

- Scenario A: LTT reaching zero yields
- Scenario B: Hyperinflation
- Scenario C: Explosion in gold production
- Scenario D: World reserve currency shift

I am sure there might be several others. But it is easy to see that...

In a Scenario B, you would be rebalancing your gold for worthless paper.
In a Scenario C, you could be rebalancing your stocks and cash for worthless gold.

It is hard to think of the best specific safeguards for these events (especially since the world will be different when they occur). However, I think it would be great for us to come up with SET DEFINITIONS in advance.

For example, (let's just say for argument's sake) that Scenario A becomes an issue at below 2.5% yield (or whatever number). When that threshold is crossed, a Proactive Permanent Portfolio would say:

WARNING!! BEST-LAID INVESTING PLAN HAS GONE WRONG!! WARNING!!

At 2.5% yield = halt rebalancing into LTT
At 2.0% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 15%
At 1.5% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 12.5%
At 1.25% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 10%
At 1.0% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 7.5%
At 0.75% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 5%
At 0.5% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 2.5%
At 0.25% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 0%
At 0.5% yield = increase LTT allocation to 2.5%
At 0.75% yield = increase LTT allocation to 5%
At 1.0% yield = increase LTT allocation to 7.5%
At 1.25% yield = increase LTT allocation to 10%
At 1.5% yield = increase LTT allocation to 12.5%
At 2.0% yield = increase LTT allocation to 15%
At 3.0% yield = resume rebalancing into LTT

I am not implying that the approach above is ideal. However, I am trying to point out that it is systematic and nothing crazy. You are just trying to balance out the change in risk as the correlation of the underlying assets distort.

A Scenario D (World Reserve Currency shift) would probably be similar. The world will likely slowly and steadily drift from the dollar. At a certain point you begin allocating away from it with whatever the world is using.

IMHO, that is what the traditional Permanent Portfolio is lacking and desperately needs to meet its intended goal. It can probably hold up on its own, but its safety is not linear.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

Great stuff as usual ahhrunforthehills!

And yeah, we're well on our way with scenario #1 and arguably (according to Dalio anyway) with scenario #4 as well. I really do like the idea of having a rules-based approach and as has been said already in this thread that also applies just as much if not more with the issue of when when to revert to the original allocation (so for example a phased-in return to the LTT/STT barbell when/if yields and the yield curve return to some semblance of normalcy).

At the end of the day what seems to be "permanent" rather than the PP as such are Harry Browne's brilliant insights into constructing portfolios based not just on backtesting but on robust response to specific economic conditions along with many other pearls of wisdom as expressed in the 16 Rules for Financial Safety.

Thanks to you and everyone else here for making this thread into something worth saving and reflecting on.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

ahhrunforthehills wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 am - Scenario D: World reserve currency shift
Can recall listening to Dalio about that. Actually, what sort of implication have this shift on PP - it might be over simplified view of things, but is that about (in the very essence of it) the negative correlation of the world reserve currency (USD as of now) with Gold ? Actually, if Scenario D happens anytime in the future, that would be the ultimate killer of (US!) PP as we/you know it (and as I've previously shared - I do not believe in non-US PP implementations, for example Gold doesn't give a **** about how my local currency is doing or how high is the inflation in my country ) ...
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

mathjak107 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am which is why i would only use short term tips ...
Yup, got your point. It might be this one is nothing new for you, but worth reading for anyone else - "The long and short of TIPS"
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Kevin K. wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:38 am Great stuff as usual ahhrunforthehills!

And yeah, we're well on our way with scenario #1 and arguably (according to Dalio anyway) with scenario #4 as well. I really do like the idea of having a rules-based approach and as has been said already in this thread that also applies just as much if not more with the issue of when when to revert to the original allocation (so for example a phased-in return to the LTT/STT barbell when/if yields and the yield curve return to some semblance of normalcy).

At the end of the day what seems to be "permanent" rather than the PP as such are Harry Browne's brilliant insights into constructing portfolios based not just on backtesting but on robust response to specific economic conditions along with many other pearls of wisdom as expressed in the 16 Rules for Financial Safety.

Thanks to you and everyone else here for making this thread into something worth saving and reflecting on.
Even PRPFX believes in some evolution and have changed over the last 40 years. No LTT's and only 9.4% in Treasuries that are mostly short and they don't extend out but 6 or 7 years. In total only 28% in bonds and 19% of them are also short term. They have maintained their position in Swiss Francs at 7.4% thinking about scenario #4. We may need to change also as the world will be far different in the future.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills »

Vil wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 am - Scenario D: World reserve currency shift
Can recall listening to Dalio about that. Actually, what sort of implication have this shift on PP - it might be over simplified view of things, but is that about (in the very essence of it) the negative correlation of the world reserve currency (USD as of now) with Gold ? Actually, if Scenario D happens anytime in the future, that would be the ultimate killer of (US!) PP as we/you know it (and as I've previously shared - I do not believe in non-US PP implementations, for example Gold doesn't give a **** about how my local currency is doing or how high is the inflation in my country ) ...
What happens is a bit of a rabbit-hole.

The relationship with gold could be one issue. I think one question is... how does the following map change (if at all [assuming it is correct to begin with]) as the United States drifts from being the major world reserve currency force: https://investresolve.com/inc/uploads/2 ... eatmap.png

Also keep in mind that world reserve currency status is a blessing in the beginning, but becomes a bit of a curse later. The United States losing its status would not necessarily be a bad thing.

A normal country can simply devalue its currency to make its exports more attractive. If there currency strengthens, they can buy foreign assets (denominated in foreign currencies) to offset that. A country with world reserve currency cannot manipulate its currency nearly as easy AFAIK. As a result it drifts further and further away from manufacturing.

I imagine you could end up with a hybrid model for reserve currency like the SDR (that uses a mixture of US Dollar, Euro, Yuan, Yen, and Pound). You might find that you now need to split up your equities accordingly as well. Of course this could have pretty large tax repercussions that might make such a tax strategy prohibitive. Also, the dollar losing its status would likely grow US manufacturing again (since the US could be more of a currency manipulator). So, there appears to be a relationship between the world reserve status and equities as well to consider.

Keep in mind that the world (under its current model) requires a stable reserve currency (countries need one in order to optimize trade... that is why they are literally called "reserves"). So something needs to either meet that requirement or the model would need to change to where they have less of that need (i.e. maybe some type of world reserve cryptocurrency?).

How your allocation needs to changed based on the difference between a world reserve currency SDR model vs a cryptocurreny model could be huge.

As I mentioned, it is hard to think of the best specific safeguards for these events (especially since the world will be different when they occur). I'd just be happy having an alarm go off at a certain point that tells me I REALLY need to turn off auto-pilot, grab the wheel, and make a decision based on the environment sitting in front of me.
Last edited by ahhrunforthehills on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have skimmed through some of the free-gold articles posted around here in the past, and (unless i am mistaken which i probably am) that with a loss of reserve status by America there may be no world reserve money, just competing fiat currency's..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Vil wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm
mathjak107 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am which is why i would only use short term tips ...
Yup, got your point. It might be this one is nothing new for you, but worth reading for anyone else - "The long and short of TIPS"
Thanks ...it confirms what I planned on ...the short term tips should at least track the CPI if inflation kicks up...the heavy lifting is done with dbc and its commodities and Gld gold if the dollar weakens
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Kevin K. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm While I can see where a real return strategy could make sense for some people the Fido fund has anemic (as in 1-3 year plain vanilla corporates) returns and a hefty .75% ER.

As far as I know all the risk parity approaches use long duration TIPS. I just don’t see the sense in long-duration Treasuries of any sort in this environment. What am I missing?
We have had low inflation so a real return fund would not have been the place to be all these past years
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

tlt has been no help in these stock market sell offs ... meh ....
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

May have been posted already, anyway, relevant to this thread.

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/991117/article
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

at this point reading and back testing mean nothing ..whatever will be will be regardless ... i don't even try to sooth myself anymore by the past ....

all we can do is watch as things unfold
AllWeatherPP

Post by AllWeatherPP »

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

AllWeatherPP wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:26 am Some more anti-bond sentiment:

https://investingsignal.com/2020/10/03/ ... t-plunges/
this is why i said above we need to stop with the mental masturbation by reading what was or used to be , or how things may have back tested and concentrate on how things are reacting going forward .

driving and looking in the rear view mirror may not be a great idea .
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

mathjak107 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 am

this is why i said above we need to stop with the mental masturbation by reading what was or used to be , or how things may have back tested and concentrate on how things are reacting going forward .

driving and looking in the rear view mirror may not be a great idea .
What do you guys think the worse case scenario is for the Long Term Treasury market?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

no idea .... i wouldn't attempt to guess .