Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 pm

According to https://ncov2019.live/data
The US has had 597 deaths per million,
and Sweden has had 578 deaths per million.
Not that different.
Hmm.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to stop looking at data. Each state, each country has different testing regimens and ways of counting or not counting cases and deaths.

I would love to see a good healthy debate between someone on the side of Fauci and the Irish guy in the video posted by Shekels.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:29 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm
I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to stop looking at data. Each state, each country has different testing regimens and ways of counting or not counting cases and deaths.
Now you're talking my language.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.19 KiB) Viewed 8323 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm
Capture.JPG
Yes, that's how it is.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 pm

#SnowSoWhite
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:37 am

This is why I am not looking forward to winter...they are going to try to keep it going as long as possible:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... s-needs-to
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:06 am
This thread has sure had a long run. Can you folks maybe take the presidential election stuff to one of the other threads more closely aligned to that?
:)
Bump. Just in case anyone missed IS’s post a couple pages back.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:21 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
I would love to see a good healthy debate between someone on the side of Fauci and the Irish guy in the video posted by Shekels.
That would be most interesting!

Both would have to be knowledgeable enough to pick apart published journal articles though. They are filled with logic pitfalls, and in way too many cases, the authors mangle data in order to tell the story they set out to prove. Pretty sure the Irish guy (Ivor Cummins) is aware of this, not sure Fauci is.

Here's another blog you might want to look up: Malcolm Kendrick, a British G.P. who has made something of a career out of debunking the medical literature. He has several interesting articles on COVID. https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

As far as how long lockdowns might go on....it's becoming clear to me that a vaccine will not be the holy grail everyone thinks it is. I'm pretty sure it'll be another year or maybe two before the last vestiges of lockdown are gone. Compared to that prospect, ripping off the bandaid and letting COVID do its thing, while keeping the (mostly non-working) vulnerable population as protected as possible, seems like the best way to go.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:21 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
That would be most interesting!

Both would have to be knowledgeable enough to pick apart published journal articles though. They are filled with logic pitfalls, and in way too many cases, the authors mangle data in order to tell the story they set out to prove. Pretty sure the Irish guy (Ivor Cummins) is aware of this, not sure Fauci is.

Here's another blog you might want to look up: Malcolm Kendrick, a British G.P. who has made something of a career out of debunking the medical literature. He has several interesting articles on COVID. https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

As far as how long lockdowns might go on....it's becoming clear to me that a vaccine will not be the holy grail everyone thinks it is. I'm pretty sure it'll be another year or maybe two before the last vestiges of lockdown are gone. Compared to that prospect, ripping off the bandaid and letting COVID do its thing, while keeping the (mostly non-working) vulnerable population as protected as possible, seems like the best way to go.
Thanks for this. Just read it. To my numbers but non-medical mind it all seemed quite logical and reasonable.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:39 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:21 pm
I'm pretty sure it'll be another year or maybe two before the last vestiges of lockdown are gone. Compared to that prospect, ripping off the bandaid and letting COVID do its thing, while keeping the (mostly non-working) vulnerable population as protected as possible, seems like the best way to go.
Yes.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Masks are still mandatory in my county at least through September, but I was encouraged recently to see that Publix has eliminated the one-way aisles. They still have them at Walmart.

Have to wonder what the science and/or logic was behind this requirement. The only thing I can think of is that two-way traffic would almost guarantee violation of the 6-foot social distancing rule if people passed in opposite directions. I didn't see any "no passing signs" to go along with the one-way signs however so people ended up passing each other any way unless you were willing to wait for the slow person in front of you to move on.

We'll never know, of course, but my guess is that this didn't prevent one transmission of COVID from one person to another.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Agreed, the "one-way aisle" concept was very poorly conceived and would have made sense only with a corresponding "no passing" rule. I've always ignored the one-way aisle stickers on the ground and have never gotten a single dirty look because of it. Everyone else ignores the stickers, too.

One thing that really irks me is how a lot of the stores who put up big plastic barriers between the customers and cashiers thought it would be a good idea to put big explanatory stickers or signs at the top of the barriers, directly at eye level -- the one part of the barrier that should not be visually obstructed. Because of those damn stickers/signs, I usually have to step to the side of the barrier to make eye contact with the cashier, which defeats the whole purpose of the barrier.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Federal judge rules PA Gov. Tom Wolf's shutdown orders were unconstitutional:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09 ... itutional/

San Diego County Supervisor plans to ask for businesses to reopen and ignore "impossible" CA state reopening guidelines:
https://twitter.com/jim_desmond/status/ ... 78368?s=20

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Took long enough, but this is great news.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm

This in an article from the NYT! I feel some change happening!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Even as Cases Rise, Europe Is Learning to Live With the Coronavirus

In the early days of the pandemic, President Emmanuel Macron exhorted the French to wage “war” against the coronavirus. Today, his message is to “learn how to live with the virus.”

“We are in a living-with-the-virus phase,” said Roberto Speranza, the health minister of Italy, the first country in Europe to impose a national lockdown. In an interview with La Stampa newspaper, Mr. Speranza said that though a “zero infection rate does not exist,” Italy was now far better equipped to handle a surge in infections. “There is not going to be another lockdown,” Mr. Speranza said.

Hendrik Streeck, head of virology at a research hospital in the German city of Bonn, cautioned that the pandemic should not be judged merely by infection numbers, but instead by deaths and hospitalizations. “We’ve have reached a phase where the number of infections alone is no longer as meaningful,” Mr. Streeck said.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
This in an article from the NYT! I feel some change happening!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Even as Cases Rise, Europe Is Learning to Live With the Coronavirus

In the early days of the pandemic, President Emmanuel Macron exhorted the French to wage “war” against the coronavirus. Today, his message is to “learn how to live with the virus.”

“We are in a living-with-the-virus phase,” said Roberto Speranza, the health minister of Italy, the first country in Europe to impose a national lockdown. In an interview with La Stampa newspaper, Mr. Speranza said that though a “zero infection rate does not exist,” Italy was now far better equipped to handle a surge in infections. “There is not going to be another lockdown,” Mr. Speranza said.

Hendrik Streeck, head of virology at a research hospital in the German city of Bonn, cautioned that the pandemic should not be judged merely by infection numbers, but instead by deaths and hospitalizations. “We’ve have reached a phase where the number of infections alone is no longer as meaningful,” Mr. Streeck said.
Great! Now if someone could tell the woman out for a walk down my street this morning wearing a mask, face shield and rubber gloves up to her elbows!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Lady on the train panicked when I took off my mask after sitting down, but visibly relaxed when she saw I was having a coffee.

Remember: I drink coffee to keep you safe, you drink coffee to keep me safe.
https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/stat ... 1375577091
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm
Lady on the train panicked when I took off my mask after sitting down, but visibly relaxed when she saw I was having a coffee.

Remember: I drink coffee to keep you safe, you drink coffee to keep me safe.
https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/stat ... 1375577091
Love the avatar Tortoise. In that spirit, I heard in order to level the playing field, Ozzy Osborn was going to debate Biden. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I find it strange that a higher number of bat-derived diseases did not originate in Ozzy Osbourne.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm
I find it strange that a higher number of bat-derived diseases did not originate in Ozzy Osbourne.
Hahaha that’s great.

So is Tortoises new avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

To Beat the Coronavirus, Build a Better Fence

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... c610b15077
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Woman posting on a local social site. Nope, we aren't there yet...
-------------------------
Yesterday I went to get a flu shot at Walgreens. Before I entered I noticed the sign outside that said masks are mandatory to enter. When I got to the pharmacy, everyone was masked except one female employee who wore her mask covering her mouth and totally exposing her nose. She said it doesn't stay up and on her nose. When I suggested she just squeeze the wire at the nose level and it will work for her, she shook her head and said "No, I can't breathe that way".
I find it unconscionable to be working with patients during a pandemic with a mask mandate and her firm opposition to comply. I should have taken her photo and posted it, but was so angry when I left that not one staff member had a word to say to her or to me. I have contacted management and I am not waiting for a call back.

How DARE she put us all at risk??? How is she still working there??
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Corto, your state keeps hitting it out of the park. Good job!
Next-level nuttiness in Northfield, Illinois (north-suburban Chicago). Public school district @srseagles is restricting students' access to remote learning if their families travel to a state on the county travel-ban list. How is this legal...or moral? @BetsyDeVosED
https://twitter.com/EWoodhouse7/status/ ... 2653040640
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 pm

It seems people have just said FUCK IT, let's let all the crazy loose before we run out of 2020!