Effect of delayed election results

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Effect of delayed election results

Post by glennds » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 pm

Bush vs. Gore in 2000 was an example of delayed election result. Florida recount controversy, hanging chads, etc.
However, other than that one, I cannot recall another delayed election result in my adult life. Plus the country is a different place today than it was in 2000.
I have heard speculation that results may very well be delayed due to ballot counting. Maybe other reasons will arise also.

So this raises a question. If the election results are delayed this time around, what do you expect? Patience? Civil unrest? A lot of inconsequential media drama but not much else?

What if the delay is a week, two weeks, a month, longer?

I ask because the battle lines over alleged fraud and rigging have already been drawn. A day by day delay in results will only add gasoline to the fire.

Worse yet, what if there is a mirage victory on election night, implying a win for one side, which then eventually goes the other way when counts are in?
Part of me wonders whether this election is destined to be decided in the Supreme Court. Thoughts?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Effect of delayed election results

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:01 am

This is a topic because the Democrats and their narrative engineers in the media have already started prepping the battlefield so that people will be less surprised at the chaos that will ensue after an apparent Trump win on election night. We can probably expect to see the various social media platforms clamp down on what they deem to be “misinformation” beginning on election night as well. Controlling the narrative will be key.

It could get interesting. Or not, I have no idea what will happen. But nothing seems normal or routine anymore.

Edited to add links regarding the "Transition Integrity Project" (great name ::) ):

The Left Is Setting The Stage For A Coup If Trump Wins

The Resistance War Games a Post-Election Civil War
Last edited by flyingpylon on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 am

If the saying holds true that "the market doesn't like uncertainty" it could end up being very bad for stocks (or good if you're buying).
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:56 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:01 am
This is a topic because the Democrats and their narrative engineers in the media have already started prepping the battlefield so that people will be less surprised at the chaos that will ensue after an apparent Trump win on election night. We can probably expect to see the various social media platforms clamp down on what they deem to be “misinformation” beginning on election night as well. Controlling the narrative will be key.

It could get interesting. Or not, I have no idea what will happen. But nothing seems normal or routine anymore.

Edited to add links regarding the "Transition Integrity Project" (great name ::) ):

The Left Is Setting The Stage For A Coup If Trump Wins

The Resistance War Games a Post-Election Civil War
Facebook and Twitter have already announced that they won't allow Trump to claim victory on election night.

Just Trump. Biden can say whatever he wants.

It is going to get interesting, in the non-ancient Chinese curse meaning.

The only way things will get back to normal reasonably quickly is if Trump wins in a big enough landslide that all of their efforts to cheat are of no avail.
When I game the scenarios out in my mind, yes, I would say a decisive Trump win is probably the least disruptive immediate post-election outcome. Whether it is the best thing in the long term is a matter of opinion. But if the concern is unrest and chaos in a delayed election period, a Trump victory would probably be least destructive IMO. Partly because Trump himself will have no incentive to disrupt his own victory.

Apparently early in the summer a non-partisan group of 60 or so high level players ran a series of war game scenarios on the election, and some of the predictions were alarming to say the least. Examples being violent protests, constitutional crisis, all on a backdrop of recession and pandemic. Not to mention public mistrust of the media, each other, and basically everything. There were scenarios that involved faithless electors and popular vote/electoral college conflict going both ways. Of course allegations of fraud and rigging going both ways also.
Some say these predictions are overblown, but with the degree of divided partisanship and perceptions of existential stakes, I think its very possible that things could get pretty ugly.

It's worth thinking about. For Permanent Portfolio type survivalists, it might be a good time to plan for especially volatile markets, and perhaps stock up on food and other stuff in case you don't care to leave home for a bit. Or if you have a cabin out of town somewhere, might be a good time to go there for peace and quiet. If it ends up being much ado about nothing, then fine, your pantry is more stocked than usual, you have more cash on hand, and the markets are calmer than you prepared for. Better than the other way around.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:57 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Facebook and Twitter have already announced that they won't allow Trump to claim victory on election night.
Axios just put out an interview with Zuckerberg and he talked at some length about the likelihood of delayed results. There was also concern about a possible mirage victory either way (where victory is declared on election night going one way, and reverses in post election night ballot counting).
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:17 am

They are telling us what they are going to do if Trump wins: commit treason.

Or try to. I think the patriots have them outnumbered and outgunned. The traitors may start the war, but the patriots will end it.
If you're right,I just hope to not find myself in the crossfire. I've wondered if Oct/Nov might be a good time to take a vacation overseas. Unfortunately though Covid closed borders have limited the options. Conundrum.

Besides, I might be beset by nightmares about returning to the US to find the Statue of Liberty in pieces with crazed Democrats dancing on the fragments like wild savages straight out of Planet of the Apes.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm

I was thinking along those lines earlier today. Go to the polls and vote first thing in the morning while the rioters are still in bed, then get out of the city to wait out the worst of it. Hopefully my mom's house in NJ will be safe enough.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

This year I’ll have to stay up and watch the returns. Last time I didn’t want to see Hillary’s win so I just went to bed. I guess I missed some fun TV.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm
This year I’ll have to stay up and watch the returns. Last time I didn’t want to see Hillary’s win so I just went to bed. I guess I missed some fun TV.
Last time I was up until at least 4 AM. I don't think Trump came out until about 3:30 AM? It was all somewhat surreal. I think Trump felt the same way because you could clearly see that he was shocked that he'd actually won.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:54 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Last time I was up until at least 4 AM. I don't think Trump came out until about 3:30 AM? It was all somewhat surreal. I think Trump felt the same way because you could clearly see that he was shocked that he'd actually won.

Vinny
I did the same, and set a limit order to buy the dip in stocks in the morning, but sadly the market had "recovered" by the time they officially opened, vs how they were behaving internationally/in the futures market.

The Floyd protests got a few blocks from our house, with the police pushing the rioters/protestors into our residential area. I'm not sure yet if we'll be bugging in, or bugging out, for election night. But I expect it to be messy, regardless.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
In 1976 I was in 5th grade and stayed up with my dad to watch the election returns. It was a late night when Carter was declared the winner. I’ve stayed up for every election since.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm
I was thinking along those lines earlier today. Go to the polls and vote first thing in the morning while the rioters are still in bed, then get out of the city to wait out the worst of it. Hopefully my mom's house in NJ will be safe enough.
Is there no early voting in NY? We always vote here as soon as early voting begins.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Is there no early voting in NY? We always vote here as soon as early voting begins.
No, only absentee ballots. The only way to make sure your vote is counted is to go physically to the polling place. Since they open at 6am, I can get that done well before the mayhem starts.

I just figure there will be a lot of hanky-panky with the mail-in ballots, e.g. throwing out ballots from Republican strongholds, intercepting ballots and steaming them open, and city employees or volunteers responsible for opening the ballots selectively discarding them based on their votes. Spread the word: Trump voters need to go in person because our ballots will be at higher risk.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:18 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 pm
WiseOne wrote:
No, only absentee ballots. The only way to make sure your vote is counted is to go physically to the polling place. Since they open at 6am, I can get that done well before the mayhem starts.

I just figure there will be a lot of hanky-panky with the mail-in ballots, e.g. throwing out ballots from Republican strongholds, intercepting ballots and steaming them open, and city employees or volunteers responsible for opening the ballots selectively discarding them based on their votes. Spread the word: Trump voters need to go in person because our ballots will be at higher risk.
Yes, and if they do vote absentee, they should also go to the polling place to check that their vote was recorded. If not, they should vote in person. >:D
I've heard this mentioned, but it is not clear to me that the physical polling locations will have the ability to confirm that mailed and/or absentee ballots have been recorded. I'm trying to definitively determine the answer to this question.
Does anyone here know for certain that the polling locations will have this capability?
How will they do it?
Hopefully a system that can't be hacked..... sigh
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 am
glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:18 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 am

Yes, and if they do vote absentee, they should also go to the polling place to check that their vote was recorded. If not, they should vote in person. >:D
I've heard this mentioned, but it is not clear to me that the physical polling locations will have the ability to confirm that mailed and/or absentee ballots have been recorded. I'm trying to definitively determine the answer to this question.
Does anyone here know for certain that the polling locations will have this capability?
How will they do it?
Hopefully a system that can't be hacked..... sigh
There are two possibilities:
1. They can check, in which case there's no problem with my suggestion, or
2. They can't check, in which case it is obvious that the potential for fraud is a tremendously serious problem.

So there's really no downside to going there to ask.

The script I would use would go something like this:
"Hi, polling person. I sent in an absentee ballot three weeks ago (or whatever). Did it get recorded?"

If they don't know, then we have a serious issue.
If they do know, take the appropriate action (vote if it hasn't been recorded, thank them if it has been).

I don't see how anyone could get in trouble for doing this; do you?
I can't really say about anyone getting in trouble or not.
We'll find out on election day, but I'm expecting the answer to the question to be they don't know. A serious issue as you say.
So then what's the appropriate action?
Vote again out of an abundance of caution? Then there's a risk of double voting, not good.
Don't vote again? Then if you're mail in vote wasn't counted, there's a risk that your vote has been excluded, not good.

I think I'll vote by mail early, or maybe drop off my mail in ballot at the County recorder's office where I am told they will have collection depositories. At least that eliminates the postal service as a factor. There's only so much a voter can do.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Probably the easiest form of fraud with mail-in ballots is the people who open the mail. It's got to be incredibly easy for them to open a ballot, spot a vote they don't favor, and toss it in the trash. Or even easier, just say it's not appropriately filled out. They could even mark it up in a way that makes that true. And, I'm sure these positions are not difficult to get, nor are they carefully vetted or supervised.

In a normal election I wouldn't be so concerned, but this one is so highly charged that any form of fraud you can imagine is going to happen to a great enough extent to influence the outcome. So I view it as my good-citizen mandate to go and vote in person this time.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 am

Except for Buttigieg.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 am
Except for Buttigieg.
Yes, as long as it's two words.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 am

Yes.

You have explained the joke.

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am

shekels wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am
https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status ... 6408316928

The Civil War Has STARTED
Unfortunately for them, they forgot a critical step in any communist takeover:
Disarming the public.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am
shekels wrote:

Disarming the public.
yes..
That will come later if Harris gets elected.
She/They/ will try to take weapons for the good of the Collective.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

shekels wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
shekels wrote:

Disarming the public.
yes..
I can hear it now. Instead of one being 'Borked', it will be one being 'Borged'. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm
shekels wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
shekels wrote:

Disarming the public.
yes..
Yes, I know they will try to do that, but they may meet a lot of resistance.
Fortunately it's looking more and more like a Trump/Republican landslide, so we won't find out.
After the Dems defund the police who is going to confiscate the guns any way? BLM and Antifa? I'm sure that will go over well when they gather outside your door demanding you turn over your guns.

I'm not nearly as sanguine about Trump winning as you are because I really don't have much of a finger on the pulse of America right now. If it was 10, 20 or more years ago I would liken it to the George McGovern/Walter Mondale campaigns that ended in ignominious defeat for the Dems by adopting far left ideas but I'm just not so sure any more. So I'm preparing myself for an election like the last one with one side being in complete shock that the other side won and being on the losing side. At that point I'll just have to tell myself that the Dems were just playing to their base and didn't really mean to do all the radical things they were proposing even though the violent mobs are making that more difficult.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm
shekels wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
shekels wrote:

Disarming the public.
yes..
Yes, I know they will try to do that, but they may meet a lot of resistance.
Fortunately it's looking more and more like a Trump/Republican landslide, so we won't find out.
After the Dems defund the police who is going to confiscate the guns any way? BLM and Antifa? I'm sure that will go over well when they gather outside your door demanding you turn over your guns.

I'm not nearly as sanguine about Trump winning as you are because I really don't have much of a finger on the pulse of America right now. If it was 10, 20 or more years ago I would liken it to the George McGovern/Walter Mondale campaigns that ended in ignominious defeat for the Dems by adopting far left ideas but I'm just not so sure any more. So I'm preparing myself for an election like the last one with one side being in complete shock that the other side won and being on the losing side. At that point I'll just have to tell myself that the Dems were just playing to their base and didn't really mean to do all the radical things they were proposing even though the violent mobs are making that more difficult.
I do believe Trump will win re-election.
But how long will this so called Republic last after Trumps term, with all the Marxist continuing to overthrow the system.

I look to the Gun confiscation possibility and think to myself,
how easy was it for Governors to issue Mandates on wearing masks and the people gave up their freedoms without much issue.

From a freedom loving perspective, and not to be part of the Collective.
I view this as Good vs Evil.
From my cold, dead hands.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯