Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by doodle »

Subliminal message? Lol. Hardly.

Fogerty said he wrote “Fortunate Son” in 1969 at the height of the Vietnam War after he’d been drafted himself and done his own stint in the military. Fogerty noted that during the draft, however, people of privilege frequently used their position and influence to avoid military service....(Trump).

“I found that very upsetting that such a thing could occur and that’s why I wrote ‘Fortunate Son,’” Fogerty said.

Might as well play NWA F#*! the Police at a Blue Lives Matter Rally....it has a catchy hook after all.

I always wondered how autocrats remained in power...I guess I understand now.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am
doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 am Occam's razor would suggest idiocy over strategy.
It would, but I assure you, nothing he does has no reason. He is very calculating.
Lol. Yes, self proclaimed genius....that recent Axios interview really highlighted his cunning and intelligence.

It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat.
Because the Left is so unappealing, and he is the AntiLeft.

Yep, exactly...and this is how autocrats come into power. Look at every autocratic regime...it's always divide and conquer. As Sinclair Lewis said ....When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross

Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious.
And Schiff, and Nadler, and Aunt Maxine, and Newsom, and Whitmer, and Wheeler, and Kate Brown, and Inslee, and Pritzker and Lightfoot and......
That's the logic that put the United States in bed with Bin Laden.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

My vote for Biden is not one of support. It honestly is a lesser of two evils. I hope he's a one term president....probably won't even live through the first term..I hope the radical left comes to their senses...a lot of insufferable fools on that side of political spectrum. They need to be combatted with logic...not trolling. Trump isn't the Messiah though...come to save us...just like Franco in Spain wasn't the right answer to Republicans. Trump is an elitist. He's a con man. He's a sociopath. Hes a textbook narcissist and he doesn't give two shits about our constitution or rule of law. I'll take a half wit with dementia over that any day
Last edited by doodle on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 am It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat. Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious. Trump is a douchebag elitist sociopath with delusions of grandeur.
Trump is the closest thing to an antiwar candidate and president I've seen in my lifetime and that is the prime directive for libertarians so I don't see any inconsistency there. Bush, McCain, and Romney were all neocon warmongers who turned my stomach and I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them. Didn't vote for Dems either because they were all just as bad, if not worse. Pat Buchanan used to call Republicans the "war party" but I think that label applied to both parties. Neocons obviously realize this because they are switching to the Dems.

Harry Browne and Ron Paul were both strongly antiwar. I actually joined the Republican party for a while so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary but canceled my membership shortly thereafter. Harry Browne's antiwar writings were some of the best I've read and I read them long before any of his financial books. I would have voted for Harry when he ran for president but I don't even remember him being on the ballot, or wasn't aware of he was and what he stood for at the time.

Is Trump a libertarian? Of course not. Is he everything you accuse him of? Maybe.

As the song says you can't always get what you want but you can get what you need.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

pp4me wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am
doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 am It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat. Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious. Trump is a douchebag elitist sociopath with delusions of grandeur.
Trump is the closest thing to an antiwar candidate and president I've seen in my lifetime and that is the prime directive for libertarians so I don't see any inconsistency there. Bush, McCain, and Romney were all neocon warmongers who turned my stomach and I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them. Didn't vote for Dems either because they were all just as bad, if not worse. Pat Buchanan used to call Republicans the "war party" but I think that label applied to both parties. Neocons obviously realize this because they are switching to the Dems.

Harry Browne and Ron Paul were both strongly antiwar. I actually joined the Republican party for a while so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary but canceled my membership shortly thereafter. Harry Browne's antiwar writings were some of the best I've read and I read them long before any of his financial books. I would have voted for Harry when he ran for president but I don't even remember him being on the ballot, or wasn't aware of he was and what he stood for at the time.

Is Trump a libertarian? Of course not. Is he everything you accuse him of? Maybe.

As the song says you can't always get what you want but you can get what you need.
Fair enough. If war is your primary issue then I can understand logic. There are many issues that I agree with Trump on...I have said this on multiple occasions. One question, why then the pandering towards military and pride touting expanding our already bloated military budget?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

And Schiff, and Nadler, and Aunt Maxine, and Newsom, and Whitmer, and Wheeler, and Kate Brown, and Inslee, and Pritzker and Lightfoot and......
That latter comment better be about Lori and not Gordon.
Or we're taking this fight onto the Carefree Highway..... at Sundown
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:36 am
pp4me wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am

Fair enough. If war is your primary issue then I can understand logic. There are many issues that I agree with Trump on...I have said this on multiple occasions. One question, why then the pandering towards military and pride touting expanding our already bloated military budget?
I think he holds the belief that a strong military is a deterrent to war. People have believed that since the attack on Pearl Harbor. Personally, I would rather see a military big enough to deter any enemies that want to attack us but not big enough to take on the role of the world's policeman. But like I said, you can't always get what you want.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:37 pm
glennds wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:35 pm
LOL, that should be obvious. Not one other bluegrass singer in that list should have been the clue. :D
Plus Gordon Lightfoot is a proud Canadian from rural Ontario. He wouldn't be mixed up in American politics for sure.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 am Fogerty said he wrote “Fortunate Son” in 1969 at the height of the Vietnam War after he’d been drafted himself and done his own stint in the military. Fogerty noted that during the draft, however, people of privilege frequently used their position and influence to avoid military service....(Trump).
I was an unfortunate son in 1969 and I would say that CCR was probably the most popular music being played in Vietnam at that time, at least among the Caucasians. Don't remember hearing "Fortunate Son" however - not until I came home.

Another popular group was "Blood, Sweat and Tears". Don't remember the song but a lot of us would sing along when it said "I'm not scared of dyin' and I don't really care".

Jeff Beck's version of "Old Man River" was also heard a lot. Very popular in the Brownwater Navy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2TNWM ... e=youtu.be. There was a double meaning in "he just keeps rollin' along".

For the life of me I can't remember where this music even came from because we didn't have MP3 players or smart phones. I just remember the music.

As for those who dodged the draft I hold no ill-will towards any of them. I joined the Navy for that very purpose being too stupid to realize where I might end up.

(Oh, I forgot "All along the Watchtower", Jimmy Hendrix version - "There must be some way outta here")
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pp4me wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:49 pm
doodle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 am Fogerty said he wrote “Fortunate Son” in 1969 at the height of the Vietnam War after he’d been drafted himself and done his own stint in the military. Fogerty noted that during the draft, however, people of privilege frequently used their position and influence to avoid military service....(Trump).
I was an unfortunate son in 1969 and I would say that CCR was probably the most popular music being played in Vietnam at that time, at least among the Caucasians. Don't remember hearing "Fortunate Son" however - not until I came home.

Another popular group was "Blood, Sweat and Tears". Don't remember the song but a lot of us would sing along when it said "I'm not scared of dyin' and I don't really care".

Jeff Beck's version of "Old Man River" was also heard a lot. Very popular in the Brownwater Navy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2TNWM ... e=youtu.be. There was a double meaning in "he just keeps rollin' along".

For the life of me I can't remember where this music even came from because we didn't have MP3 players or smart phones. I just remember the music.

As for those who dodged the draft I hold no ill-will towards any of them. I joined the Navy for that very purpose being too stupid to realize where I might end up.

(Oh, I forgot "All along the Watchtower", Jimmy Hendrix version - "There must be some way outta here")
The Blood, Sweat and Tears song?

https://genius.com/Blood-sweat-and-tear ... die-lyrics

And, by early 1970 we had cassettes and cassette players powered by batteries. Also, in 1969 I had a portable record player powered by batteries. I remember one girl on a beach in the summer of 1969 complaining after hearing my choice of music that I played: "Can he play anything else beside the Beatles?"

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:59 pm
pp4me wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:49 pm

The Blood, Sweat and Tears song?

https://genius.com/Blood-sweat-and-tear ... die-lyrics

And, by early 1970 we had cassettes and cassette players powered by batteries. Also, in 1969 I had a portable record player powered by batteries. I remember one girl on a beach in the summer of 1969 complaining after hearing my choice of music that I played: "Can he play anything else beside the Beatles?"

Also remembering that I forgot to point out that at least from the early 1960s we had portable transistor radios powered by batteries.

Therefore, you had a number of ways to be hearing music back then.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

glennds wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:15 pm
LOL, that should be obvious. Not one other bluegrass singer in that list should have been the clue. :D
Plus Gordon Lightfoot is a proud Canadian from rural Ontario. He wouldn't be mixed up in American politics for sure.
If only it were the case that people from other countries wouldn't get mixed up in American politics.
Unfortunately that is far from true, e.g., Neil Young.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:16 pm
If only it were the case that people from other countries wouldn't get mixed up in American politics.
Tech,
If you can give me an example of where Gordon Lightfoot stuck his nose into American politics, I will stand corrected.
As for others, I have no comment one way or the other.

I once saw an interview with Lightfoot where he said his only protest was against protest songs which he felt were in poor taste. He also said he did not think it was his right to comment on domestic American politics as a Canadian. I am betting these views will meet with your approval.

Although there is one exception, a song called Black Day in July that he wrote about the Detroit riots in 1967 which he later said he regretted writing for the above reasons. But the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is good enough that I say he deserves a pass.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

glennds wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 pm
Tech,
If you can give me an example of where Gordon Lightfoot stuck his nose into American politics, I will stand corrected.

I once saw an interview with Lightfoot where he said his only protest was against protest songs which he felt were in poor taste. He also said he did not think it was his right to comment on domestic American politics as a Canadian. I am betting these views will meet with your approval.

Although there is one exception, a song called Black Day in July that he wrote about the Detroit riots in 1967 which he later said he regretted writing for the above reasons. But the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is good enough that I say he deserves a pass.
Obviously I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to say that Gordon Lightfoot did stick his nose into American politics, just that some other non-Americans have.

Coincidentally, he's one of my favorite singers. I have several of his songs on my Windows Media Player playlist, including "Daylight Katy", "Sundown", and "Song for a Winter's Night".
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kinda like Born In The USA. My dad loves that song. And most of CCR. I do as well. I'm not really a good person to talk about this topic though, I've listened to some metal songs for a decade now and I have no idea what they're saying.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Tech,

Obviously I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to say that Gordon Lightfoot did stick his nose into American politics, just that some other non-Americans have.

Coincidentally, he's one of my favorite singers. I have several of his songs on my Windows Media Player playlist, including "Daylight Katy", "Sundown", and "Song for a Winter's Night".
Ah, I misunderstood. Good to discover a fellow GL fan though.

I tend to give musical artists a bit of slack on political subject matter in songs, Bob Dylan, or John Fogerty and CCR being good examples. But I have to say it's a pet peeve for me when Hollywood actors and actresses decide that they are a qualified voice of commentary on politics. Especially George Clooney. Clint Eastwood lecturing the empty chair was pretty bad too. Robert DeNiro, James Woods, the list seems to go on. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but why is a famous actor's any more important than anyone elses?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

glennds wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Tech,

Ah, I misunderstood. Good to discover a fellow GL fan though.

I tend to give musical artists a bit of slack on political subject matter in songs, Bob Dylan, or John Fogerty and CCR being good examples. But I have to say it's a pet peeve for me when Hollywood actors and actresses decide that they are a qualified voice of commentary on politics. Especially George Clooney. Clint Eastwood lecturing the empty chair was pretty bad too. Robert DeNiro, James Woods, the list seems to go on. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but why is a famous actor's any more important than anyone elses?
It's not.
As for artists in general, I try to avoid letting their political opinions affect my opinions of their artistic work, even if they are obnoxious about it, e.g., Tom Hanks, Joss Wheadon, Diane Duane, Cher, Taylor Swift, and Neil Young.
Otherwise I would have almost nothing to read, listen to, or watch.
Sure, Heinlein, J. Neil Schulman, and a lot of other sci-fi writers have or had political views more or less similar to mine, but overall most artists seem to be leftists.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

The Truth Behind Trump Tower Moscow: How Trump Risked Everything For A (Relatively) Tiny Deal

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexand ... 71fa7bbc32

"Fun times indeed. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's 448-page report highlights three separate proposals to develop a Trump property in Moscow around the time of the election. Yet key details have remained vague. Forbes got in touch with the people at the center of all three—and uncovered concrete answers to fundamental questions about Trump's plans in Russia.

Such as who was actually going to pay for the project. Trump, now more of a licensor than builder, certainly wasn't planning on putting in much of his own money. And according to Sater, who brokered the proposal that extended furthest into the campaign, nor was Trump's official partner, Andrey Rozov. Instead, Sater says, he was cooking up a plan to raise huge sums from additional investors, including two of Vladimir Putin's closest cronies, Boris and Arkady Rotenberg. "We would have gone to them and asked them for four or five hundred million dollars cash," Sater says.

Another big, previously unsettled question: How much money could Trump have made in all of this? Both Mueller and former Trump attorney Michael Cohen have suggested, vaguely, "hundreds of millions." After mining business agreements and surveying real estate experts in Moscow, however, Forbes believes that's almost impossible. It seems more likely that Trump would have walked away with roughly $35 million up front and $2.6 million or so in annual fees, if everything went according to plan. In the rosiest of scenarios, Sater says, Trump could have gotten about $50 million. A lot of money to most people but less than 2% of the president's net worth (estimated at $3.1 billion).

Taken together, these revelations paint a new picture of Trump's plans in Russia and the president's way of doing business. His deal came with far greater risk—and far less reward—than previously understood. In short, candidate Trump jeopardized his eventual presidency on a middling deal and one that would have had Vladimir Putin's fingerprints all over it."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Trump Says He Will ‘Negotiate’ Third Term Because He’s ‘Entitled’ To It

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsole ... 0e02c7287c

"During a rally in Minden, Nevada, Trump predicted he would win reelection and carry Nevada, a state he lost narrowly in 2016.

“After that,” Trump said, “we’ll negotiate,” asserting that he’s “probably entitled to another four after that” based on “the way we were treated.”

The comments echo ones Trump made during a rally in Wisconsin in August, in which he stated he would win four more years and “go for another four years” because “they spied on my campaign,” likely referencing his unproven “Obamagate” theory."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:01 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:53 pm Trump Says He Will ‘Negotiate’ Third Term Because He’s ‘Entitled’ To It

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsole ... 0e02c7287c

"During a rally in Minden, Nevada, Trump predicted he would win reelection and carry Nevada, a state he lost narrowly in 2016.

“After that,” Trump said, “we’ll negotiate,” asserting that he’s “probably entitled to another four after that” based on “the way we were treated.”

The comments echo ones Trump made during a rally in Wisconsin in August, in which he stated he would win four more years and “go for another four years” because “they spied on my campaign,” likely referencing his unproven “Obamagate” theory."
By rights he should get a third term but he knows that's impossible, just as everyone else does.
He just likes to wind up the Marxist media and all the other fools who can't tell when he's joking.
Yes so many jokes...almost like a clown...sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Regarding Trump rally campaign music.....This is the first time EVER I heard this:

Our America (with Gretchen Wilson & Cowboy Troy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFP-iKykQzg

Now that I've listened to it a few times, if I were in charge of Trump rally music, It would be the last song I'd play JUST prior to Trump hitting the stage.

I could not see anything but the Trumpee's going wild over the song and putting them at the highest possible fever pitch to now actually be seeing their beloved Trump.

That is HOW you program rally music! Not John Fogerty's "Futunate Son", which, as has been pointed out, is actually anti-Trump.

Again, I'm not judging his campaign rally music by how it does or does not appeal to me but how I see it appealing to the Trump crowd.

The first time I applied to be a a DJ for our college radio station the station manager turned me down. I'd given him an audition tape of all the music I liked. I listened to his feedback and then gave him a second audition tape which I knew had the music on it HE wanted to hear. I got the job after that! I know how to play to the intended audience.

Vinny
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

**nevermind...I won't go there
Last edited by doodle on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tech,

This prompted me to put on a Gordon Lightfoot CD. I don't think I'd ever prior listened to a whole record or CD of his.

The CD is "The Complete Greatest Hits".

I'm on the fifth song.

He's not really my type of music and his music is not that great (for my taste).

However, this firth song is "Sundown" and I can see how it was a mega-hit. It even prompted me to listen to it two more times just now. It has a lot of the prime ingredients for a hit - lyrics, vocals, musicianship, the pacing of the music.

"Daylight Kay" is upcoming so we'll see how I react to it. Don't see that "Song for a Winter's Night" is on it.

In anticipation that this CD was going to be somewhat like "work" to get through listening to it, I have a Goo Goo Dolls CD next up to play. My taste in music for certain.

Vinny
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

vnatale wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 pm Regarding Trump rally campaign music.....This is the first time EVER I heard this:

Now that I've listened to it a few times, if I were in charge of Trump rally music, It would be the last song I'd play JUST prior to Trump hitting the stage.

I could not see anything but the Trumpee's going wild over the song and putting them at the highest possible fever pitch to now actually be seeing their beloved Trump.

That is HOW you program rally music! Not John Fogerty's "Futunate Son", which, as has been pointed out, is actually anti-Trump.

Again, I'm not judging his campaign rally music by how it does or does not appeal to me but how I see it appealing to the Trump crowd.

The first time I applied to be a a DJ for our college radio station the station manager turned me down. I'd given him an audition tape of all the music I liked. I listened to his feedback and then gave him a second audition tape which I knew had the music on it HE wanted to hear. I got the job after that! I know how to play to the intended audience.

Vinny
Then again, perhaps you’re overconfident about the degree to which you understand Trump supporters.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

flyingpylon wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 pm Regarding Trump rally campaign music.....This is the first time EVER I heard this:

Vinny
Then again, perhaps you’re overconfident about the degree to which you understand Trump supporters.
I think might be able to confidently say that I've been directly exposed to more of Trump than you have for what he says at rallies and how his audience responds. Don't forget I'll sometimes listen to the entire rally three times in a row. I'm fairly confident I know what appeals to his audiences and what does not. And, therefore, the music which should be played for maximum appeal.

Can you see the above song I listed being played just before Biden comes on?

Vinny