Sumerian Sauce

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sumerian Sauce

Post by Kriegsspiel »

For the Sumerians, Akkadians and Babylonians, the ancient inhabitants of modern-day Iraq, beer was a daily staple and an essential component of social life. It was a beloved beverage, celebrated in poetry and song.

But it was also recognized as a potent force whose consumption could prove risky. In Mesopotamian literature, drinking beer could lead to confusion, loss of control and poor judgment.

Beer was also known to produce unwanted physical effects, like a certain less-than-stellar feeling the morning after or an inability to perform sexually. Still, Mesopotamians continued to drink their beer with enjoyment and gusto. A common scene in the artistic record depicts a man and woman having sex, while the woman drinks beer.
link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sumerian Sauce

Post by shekels »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:14 pm
For the Sumerians, Akkadians and Babylonians, the ancient inhabitants of modern-day Iraq, beer was a daily staple and an essential component of social life. It was a beloved beverage, celebrated in poetry and song.

But it was also recognized as a potent force whose consumption could prove risky. In Mesopotamian literature, drinking beer could lead to confusion, loss of control and poor judgment.

Beer was also known to produce unwanted physical effects, like a certain less-than-stellar feeling the morning after or an inability to perform sexually. Still, Mesopotamians continued to drink their beer with enjoyment and gusto. A common scene in the artistic record depicts a man and woman having sex, while the woman drinks beer.
I have brewed, Gruit.
Not like today's thin beers.
Gruit uses Herbs/Flowers instead of Hops.
It's what for Supper Beer.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:14 pm

link
If they acted like that on beer - I would hate to see the city on Tequila
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I was hoping this was the name of your new portfolio.
This was at least as much fun, though.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

shekels wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 am I have brewed, Gruit.
Worst. Poem. Ever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

GT wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am If they acted like that on beer - I would hate to see the city on Tequila
dualstow wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:16 am I was hoping this was the name of your new portfolio.
This was at least as much fun, though.
Who knew the Sumerians invented the keg stand?

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:01 am
shekels wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 am I have brewed, Gruit.
Worst. Poem. Ever.
Free verse poem, or just hate to type. ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯