Gun Poll

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Please select the category that applies to you

I am not currently a gun owner.
38%
I am currently a gun owner and was already a gun owner even before the BLM/Antifa riots.
58%
I became a first-time gun owner this year because of the BLM/Antifa riots.
4%

Total votes: 24
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gun Poll

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Gun owners were probably already overrepresented on this forum, but I was just curious whether the BLM/Antifa riots this year motivated any of you to buy your first gun.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gun Poll

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:35 pm

I selected "not currently".

I had a handful of lever-action rifles which I thoroughly enjoyed - and a little derringer/revolver which my gal liked to carry. There really is nothing like a lever-action in the hands of a man who knows how to use it. Not even a Tommy gun can compare.

Nowadays I just have a hell of a good carbon steel chef's knife which I dug up from an archeological dig somewhere. I do know my anatomy.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:35 pm
I selected "not currently".

I had a handful of lever-action rifles which I thoroughly enjoyed - and a little derringer/revolver which my gal liked to carry. There really is nothing like a lever-action in the hands of a man who knows how to use it. Not even a Tommy gun can compare.

Nowadays I just have a hell of a good carbon steel chef's knife which I dug up from an archeological dig somewhere. I do know my anatomy.
I still see zero votes for "not currently". You sure you clicked the right one?

BTW, remind me never to piss you off. ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:40 pm

I voted "Not Currently" assuming my BB rifle did not count?

By the way, does your state or did your state require an FID card? I assume it stood for Fire Identification something.

I had to get one PRIOR to buying that rifle sometime in the early 80s. Had to go for an interview with the town chief of police. It was good for life but has since been replaced by something else.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:40 pm

By the way, does your state or did your state require an FID card? I assume it stood for Fire Identification something.

I had to get one PRIOR to buying that rifle sometime in the early 80s. Had to go for an interview with the town chief of police. It was good for life but has since been replaced by something else.

Vinny
You had to have an interview with the chief of police to buy a BB gun? Wow. Okay.

FID doesn’t ring a bell. I live in CA and had to take a short, easy test of handgun competence to get a “Handgun Safety Certificate” from the CA Department of Justice. By contrast, no such test or certificate was required for my shotgun purchase.

Also, my handgun purchase required a waiting period (10 days or something), but not my shotgun purchase.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:54 am

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Vinny
You had to have an interview with the chief of police to buy a BB gun? Wow. Okay.

FID doesn’t ring a bell. I live in CA and had to take a short, easy test of handgun competence to get a “Handgun Safety Certificate” from the CA Department of Justice. By contrast, no such test or certificate was required for my shotgun purchase.

Also, my handgun purchase required a waiting period (10 days or something), but not my shotgun purchase.
Here is the current process.

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a ... ms-license

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:20 pm

I see we now have one vote from a first-time gun owner.

Would the person who cast that vote care to elaborate? If not, that’s fine, too.
t-bear52
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by t-bear52 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:10 am

Pug, that’s what I thought too until we had looting in downtown Naperville!
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:36 pm

I would like to have checked two boxes.

I bought and carried my own Colt .45 Combat Commander and a Walther PPK when I was on active duty in the 1980s. I sold them both when I left active duty years ago.

After the George Floyd riots, I got a concealable Walther CCP .380, went for a refresher on a local police range, and I am signed up for a concealed carry permit class in September. I live in the Twin Cities suburbs and I have no confidence in our current crop of political leaders.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing, jhogue. I almost created the poll with a fourth option of something like “was already a gun owner, but bought more guns and/or ammo as a result of the BLM/Antifa riots.” Sounds like you would have checked that box.

The people of Kenosha probably had no idea riots would erupt there. Then suddenly, an unforeseen police incident occurred and the town was ablaze. So presumably it’s something that could happen anywhere in any state — even far from a big city.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:09 pm

I guess you might have added even another box:

I would like to buy a guy but everybody else got to Cabela's before I did; the cases are picked clean; and the sales people don't know when the new stock will come in.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Great point! My brother told me recently that the riots motivated him to become a first-time gun owner, but the particular rifle he wants is completely sold out everywhere he’s looked.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 pm
Great point! My brother told me recently that the riots motivated him to become a first-time gun owner, but the particular rifle he wants is completely sold out everywhere he’s looked.
Must all guns in our country now have to be bought in person? Meaning no more Lee Harvey Oswald mail order purchases?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:31 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Tortoise wrote:

Must all guns in our country now have to be bought in person? Meaning no more Lee Harvey Oswald mail order purchases?

Vinny

No. I bought mine online. They have to be shipped to a licensed FFL where you pay a small fee (~$30) and they process all the paperwork for you. Lots in stock at https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/ and https://www.budsgunshop.com/

Don't know what a FFL is but I suspect the answer might be that a Lee Harvey Oswald today would no longer be able to have the gun delivered directly to his house.

Vinny
Simonjester wrote:
federal firearms license

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

so you can have it shipped to a local dealer or neighborhood gunsmith.. but not your house unless you have a ffl..
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:33 pm

My brother has looked everywhere for the rifle he wants, including online. It isn't in stock anywhere right now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:35 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:28 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Vinny
No. I bought mine online. They have to be shipped to a licensed FFL where you pay a small fee (~$30) and they process all the paperwork for you. Lots in stock at https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/ and https://www.budsgunshop.com/
Both of them sell Glock's, the most familiar gun to me after reading an entire book about that gun.

Could not tell if the first one sold them online as they all seemed to be unavailable. The second stated that they had to be bought in-store.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:55 am

jhogue wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:09 pm
I would like to buy a guy but everybody else got to Cabela's before I did; the cases are picked clean; and the sales people don't know when the new stock will come in.
You can also check Palmetto State Armory if you decide to order online.
vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:35 pm
Both of them sell Glock's, the most familiar gun to me after reading an entire book about that gun.

Could not tell if the first one sold them online as they all seemed to be unavailable. The second stated that they had to be bought in-store.

Vinny
The one by Barrett (heh)? I read that too, good book. Before I bought my Glock the only other pistol I'd shot was an issued Beretta 92. I like the Glock much more.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:55 am
jhogue wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
The one by Barrett (heh)? I read that too, good book. Before I bought my Glock the only other pistol I'd shot was an issued Beretta 92. I like the Glock much more.
You should try a Colt 1911 or one of its knock-offs. The 1911 in 45ACP is a dream to shoot compared to a Glock 36 (which uses the same 45ACP ammo). Plus, the mechanical workmanship of the 1911 is wonderful if you are into the aesthetics of such - metal or plastic/metal, they both have good points. I like both the Colt and the Glock for reliability and ease of cleaning.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/q7X3QaG2_QM/maxresdefault.jpg
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
jhogue wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Yes: Glock: The Rise of America's Gun

One of those good ones I read in two days.

By the way, someone I know who is highly knowledgeable about guns told me that Glocks are illegal to own in Massachusetts. I forgot what is the reason.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 am
By the way, someone I know who is highly knowledgeable about guns told me that Glocks are illegal to own in Massachusetts. I forgot what is the reason.
The bureaucrats in Massachusetts have probably forgotten the reason, too. ::)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:49 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 am
The bureaucrats in Massachusetts have probably forgotten the reason, too. ::)
I found this:

Attorney General Maura Healey's investigation into Glock guns gets green light to continue
Updated Jan 07, 2019; Posted Nov 07, 2016

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2016/ ... y_con.html

Glock does not sell pistols directly to Massachusetts consumers because the guns do not conform with Massachusetts' safety requirements. But the company does sell to law enforcement and to wholesalers. State data relating to gun sales and private transfers found that there were 10,800 Glock handguns sold in Massachusetts between Jan. 1, 2014 and Aug. 13, 2015.

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:06 pm

There really ought to be a fourth option for answering this poll: "I'm not gonna say."
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
jhogue wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
You should try a Colt 1911 or one of its knock-offs. The 1911 in 45ACP is a dream to shoot compared to a Glock 36 (which uses the same 45ACP ammo). Plus, the mechanical workmanship of the 1911 is wonderful if you are into the aesthetics of such - metal or plastic/metal, they both have good points. I like both the Colt and the Glock for reliability and ease of cleaning.

I like Walthers and SIGs, but I am partial to German and Swiss craftsmanship. Also, my Colt 1911 Combat Commander was not really a concealable weapon.
Last edited by jhogue on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:06 pm
There really ought to be a fourth option for answering this poll: "I'm not gonna say."
+1
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm

jhogue wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
jhogue wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

I like Walthers and SIGs, but I am partial to German and Swiss craftsmanship.
Nice. I’ve not handled them, guns that is, but I do admire German vehicles. And Swiss ancestry women. 🤣🤣🤣