A Current Fad?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

A Current Fad?

Post by Lonestar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am

Under the category of “things that really don’t matter much” I have a question. Is the current rampant craze of tattoos in the U.S. only a fad?

I grew up in an era where tattoos were reserved for sailors or guys with large biceps that had “MOM” tattooed on their arm. I can now walk through Walmart and half the people have some form of ink showing. Pretty young ladies who have one arm that is completely covered in art work. Men with snakes drawn around their neck. You name it, it’s there. I see posts on various forms from people that are “saving up” for their next tattoo, and are having a difficult time deciding on where to place it.

Now, importantly, I realize everyone has a right to their own opinion, and it’s certainly their body. We know there are cultures that have practiced body modification for centuries. Are we seeing our culture adopt these practices or is this just a current fad?

I really wonder what these folks are going to look like when they reach my advanced age. I would assume the vivid colors and wild graphics will take on a different image when skin starts aging and sagging.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

Lonestar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am
Under the category of “things that really don’t matter much” I have a question. Is the current rampant craze of tattoos in the U.S. only a fad?

I grew up in an era where tattoos were reserved for sailors or guys with large biceps that had “MOM” tattooed on their arm. I can now walk through Walmart and half the people have some form of ink showing. Pretty young ladies who have one arm that is completely covered in art work. Men with snakes drawn around their neck. You name it, it’s there. I see posts on various forms from people that are “saving up” for their next tattoo, and are having a difficult time deciding on where to place it.

Now, importantly, I realize everyone has a right to their own opinion, and it’s certainly their body. We know there are cultures that have practiced body modification for centuries. Are we seeing our culture adopt these practices or is this just a current fad?

I really wonder what these folks are going to look like when they reach my advanced age. I would assume the vivid colors and wild graphics will take on a different image when skin starts aging and sagging.
How about this one? (For the record, I have none with no plans to get any. Too much of a baby when it comes to pain.)

Vinny

Getting Tattooed Makes Your Immune System Stronger

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/getting- ... _b_9533244
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Lonestar wrote:

Seems like it has gone on way too long to be just a fad now. I was wondering that same thing 10 years ago. Now I feel like in my area you are definitely in the minority if you DON'T have a tattoo. I am in my late 40s and I work with multiple people in their late 50s in my office and they all have tats. My mother-in-law is in her early 60s and she has one.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:33 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:51 pm
Lonestar wrote:

Seems like it has gone on way too long to be just a fad now. I was wondering that same thing 10 years ago. Now I feel like in my area you are definitely in the minority if you DON'T have a tattoo. I am in my late 40s and I work with multiple people in their late 50s in my office and they all have tats. My mother-in-law is in her early 60s and she has one.
I also meant to add that I agree with you that it has been gone for so long that it is no longer a fad. I cannot even remember when they first started becoming a lot more prevalent. I first started taking a ton of pictures around 2013 or so. I could look at them but that, of course, only goes back about 7 years.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Tattoos seemed to start becoming more popular in the late '90s and have continued to gain in popularity up to the present day. That's more than 20 years. So I would call it a long-term cultural shift, not just a fad.

My mother was a nursing director at a medical clinic before she retired, and I remember her telling me about five years ago that her medical clinic had to finally ditch their "no visible tattoos" rule for nursing job applicants since it was filtering out too much of their applicant pool.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm
Tattoos seemed to start becoming more popular in the late '90s and have continued to gain in popularity up to the present day. That's more than 20 years. So I would call it a long-term cultural shift, not just a fad.
That's about the time I started to notice as well. It started with single tattoos on the arms or legs. It's obviously evolved into some pretty radical artwork, often taking over entire arms, legs or both. So, as this evolves will we see people requiring full body tattoos to satisfy their need to be part of our culture? As you stated, it has become a socially acceptable practice, so that will no longer be an obstacle.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Impossible. Fads are temporary by definition.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Lonestar wrote:

Obviously it has been going on for quite awhile so I guess it isn't a "fad" in the strict sense.
However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Cultural trends aren't inevitable, they seem to move in waves. For one thing, it's not inconceivable (heh) that a more traditional/conservative culture becomes more dominant as more cultural leftists go through life childless than cultural conservatives do.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
Wouldn't you agree the Roaring 20's and the end of the Gilded Age came with the Great Depression, which in turn resulted in the progressive action of FDR?
The result was the creation of, among other things, Social Security, farm relief, unemployment benefits, Anti-trust legislation and other Great Deal provisions?
I'm not seeing how the US became more conservative at that time, other than perhaps in global isolationist policy but certainly not domestically.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Wouldn't you agree the Roaring 20's and the end of the Gilded Age came with the Great Depression, which in turn resulted in the progressive action of FDR?
The result was the creation of, among other things, Social Security, farm relief, unemployment benefits, Anti-trust legislation and other Great Deal provisions?
I'm not seeing how the US became more conservative at that time, other than perhaps in global isolationist policy but certainly not domestically.
I believe we're talking about the culture in general, not politically. "conservative" not being a political term, but an outlook/style/temperament/cultural term.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Are you taking into account the demographic shift in this county that has been happening and will probably continue to happen going forward? Census projections are that Hispanics will double as a percentage of the US population over the next 30 years. I am not sure you can compare the future American population and their values to the values of Americans in the earlier parts of this century.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Are you taking into account the demographic shift in this county that has been happening and will probably continue to happen going forward? Census projections are that Hispanics will double as a percentage of the US population over the next 30 years. I am not sure you can compare the future American population and their values to the values of Americans in the earlier parts of this century.
Once people get successful, they usually become more conservative.
And we already know that Hispanics in general are much more conservative socially (e.g., Christian) than white leftists.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Also, the 30's and 40's had much of the population living in small towns and rural areas. Those folks were culturally conservation by nature. Look at the shift where today most of the populations live in the larger cities.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am
glennds wrote:

I believe we're talking about the culture in general, not politically. "conservative" not being a political term, but an outlook/style/temperament/cultural term.
Right. Society during the Great Depression was much more conservative in style and values than it had been during the Roaring 20's.

OK, I now see what you were attempting to say, and yes, I agree that cultural style and taste changed and became more conservative after the 20s. Where tattoos might be viewed one day, I can't really say. Anyone getting a tattoo must be comfortable with commitment.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am
glennds wrote:

Right. Society during the Great Depression was much more conservative in style and values than it had been during the Roaring 20's.

OK, I now see what you were attempting to say, and yes, I agree that cultural style and taste changed and became more conservative after the 20s. Where tattoos might be viewed one day, I can't really say. Anyone getting a tattoo must be comfortable with commitment.
Or have a very high rate of time preference.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24 pm

I would imagine that tattoo removal will be a growth industry for at least the next few decades. Business/investment opportunity?
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 pm

If I were a young dermatologist I would look in that direction. I don't see how reversal could be done on the people that have extensive artwork on their body, and I bet it will be costly and painful.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:35 am

Guess how they found, the alleged Portland shooter from last night?
Attachments
EgrFPVlWsAAdZq_.jpg small.jpeg
EgrFPVlWsAAdZq_.jpg small.jpeg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 pm

If YOU want a tattoo but do not want to make it a lifetime decision you can go here and get a temporary peel-and-stick tattoo for adults that last one to two weeks.

Vinny

https://get.inkbox.com/home
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 am

My anecdote :D
Walking with a Japanese friend behind a young lady. He couldn't stop chuckling about why she had the symbol for a "gate" tattooed on the back of her neck. Motto: check what the symbol means before hand.

PS: Look up what this 4wd model means in Spanish :o
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/ve ... jero/range
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:25 pm

More on tattoo's...

Yesterday a read a book on a Navy SEAL who was severely injured in Iraq. Had something like 26 operations. some of which required skin grafts.

His available skin to be used for the skin grafts was severely limited because so much of his skin was covered by tattoo's.

Therefore a downside to having tattoo's which may never come in to play for most people. But could for some. Probably far more likely now due to the prevalence of tattoo's.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Why would a tattoo interfere with a skin graft?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm
Why would a tattoo interfere with a skin graft?
I did a search and could not find an answer. That was what the book author had stated in his book.

Vinny