Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Figured it was time for a thread for all leaning right or left supporters to blast or praise Biden's choice.

I will start out with a simple item, which in the whole scheme of things means nothing -- or means everything, depending on your view.

--Biden and Harris can read with emotion and do speechifying off a teleprompter 1000 times better than the other two can. Their speeches today were on point, hopeful and tough on Trump.

And it all sounded good and reasonable to me. Not at all like the end and burning down of America like some perceive.

It's only one debate, but I cannot wait for the Pence Harris one!
MarketIfTouched
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by MarketIfTouched » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm
...Biden and Harris can read with emotion...
For sure while this a skill needed to get elected president, I am not sure it is very useful for carrying out the duties of being president.

For carrying out the duties of the office, I tend to look to see what the person has built/delivered, either by themselves, or by motivating others.

Given that this is an investment/business related forum, one question we might ask ourselves is: Has the candidate proven to be a job creator?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Barf! Not worth more comments. :'(
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:05 pm

The Harris choice was nothing more than pure, unadulterated, cringe-worthy, uber woke virtue signalling.

Gross.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Please, don't hold back on how you feel... ;)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:17 pm
Please, don't hold back on how you feel... ;)
What's even more gross is how eager some people are to just eat up the giant pile of bullshit Biden has served up. >:(
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 pm

What's even more gross is how eager some people are to just eat up the giant pile of bullshit Biden has served up. >:(
Clearly you too have logged into LinkedIn in the past day!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:05 pm
The Harris choice was nothing more than pure, unadulterated, cringe-worthy, uber woke virtue signalling.

Gross.
Sure. Whatever works. Not like Pence wasn’t to help deliver evangelicals.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 am

My impression left over from the Kavanaugh hearings is that Ms. Harris is a mean and nasty person.

Also the "I was that little girl" thing made me want to puke.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 am

I don’t really care how the candidates babble on, they are vying to fill an office. Things that I’m glad about are more likely to happen if Trump wins. Things that irritate me but gladden the hearts of those who are currently tearing down the country are more likely to happen if Biden wins. I don't plan to vote for Biden but it won’t be because he flip flops, or rambles, or is the master of the gaff, or because he sniffs people’s hair, or because of sexual assault allegations or chumminess with segregationists, or because Harris launched her career by sleeping with Willie Brown, or went after David Daleiden because he was daring to expose the baby body part selling scheme at Planned Parenthood, or her rude behavior when she went after Kavanaugh. None of those things are deal breakers as far as I’m concerned. It isn’t anything about Biden or Trump, or Harris or Pence, but about what movements and positions would gain or lose under either administration. That is why the obvious hypocrisy and daily dose of hyperventilating about the stupid and inane things the candidates said is merely a matter of amusement for me, not fear. A sad state of affairs, but you play the hand you’re dealt.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am

Tough crowd this morning. I'm an ex-R who loves to call current Rs RINOs cuz the most popular/national level one are not conservatives at all. Actual conservatism is let others do their own thing, law and order, responsible government, no/small deficits.

So let's run the checklist on most current national republicans.

- Let others do their own thing - no, they actively push an opposing social agenda to the Ds

- Law and order - no, only the laws they like

- Responsible government - no, we are the only first world country with a COVID problem still

- No/small deficits - no, the ballooning of debt continues unabated

As Reagan once explained his leaving the D party, I didn't leave my party it left me.

As a general observation, I do think several state R parties have their act together and do a great job as compared to their D counterparts. I'm quite happy with mine and it actually still is conservative, though the RINO loonies are here as well. But where I live doesn't take to nastiness at all and therefore they aren't very successful in winning elections.

As for Biden and Harris, neither have anywhere near the dislike factor that Hillary has. So I suspect they will win. The far left actively campaigned against Harris getting the nod. The last election was my first ever vote for a non-R candidate. I voted L. This time, unless Biden truly appears to be mentally gone which we will see in the debates, I will vote D. I've long felt that when one of the big battle ground states goes solidly blue there will be a serious, and in my view, needed change in the R party. And there are 3-4 heading that way (AZ, FL, NC, TX). I just hope the damage isn't so steep it takes several decades to fix. Pandering to an elderly white, southern voter block is a completely loser strategy for the future. Chalk mine up to a protest vote at the national level, though I will vote R at the state level.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am
Tough crowd this morning. I'm an ex-R who loves to call current Rs RINOs cuz the most popular/national level one are not conservatives at all. Actual conservatism is let others do their own thing, law and order, responsible government, no/small deficits.

So let's run the checklist on most current national republicans.

- Let others do their own thing - no, they actively push an opposing social agenda to the Ds

- Law and order - no, only the laws they like

- Responsible government - no, we are the only first world country with a COVID problem still

- No/small deficits - no, the ballooning of debt continues unabated

As Reagan once explained his leaving the D party, I didn't leave my party it left me.

As a general observation, I do think several state R parties have their act together and do a great job as compared to their D counterparts. I'm quite happy with mine and it actually still is conservative, though the RINO loonies are here as well. But where I live doesn't take to nastiness at all and therefore they aren't very successful in winning elections.

As for Biden and Harris, neither have anywhere near the dislike factor that Hillary has. So I suspect they will win. The far left actively campaigned against Harris getting the nod. The last election was my first ever vote for a non-R candidate. I voted L. This time, unless Biden truly appears to be mentally gone which we will see in the debates, I will vote D. I've long felt that when one of the big battle ground states goes solidly blue there will be a serious, and in my view, needed change in the R party. And there are 3-4 heading that way (AZ, FL, NC, TX). I just hope the damage isn't so steep it takes several decades to fix. Pandering to an elderly white, southern voter block is a completely loser strategy for the future. Chalk mine up to a protest vote at the national level, though I will vote R at the state level.
Except for registering as an R for a short time so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary I have always been an I. I voted mostly for R's however until I got disgusted with Bush after the Iraq fiasco. Then I didn't vote at all for the next 12 years as I figured the R's weren't any better than the D's so what was the point? I went to bed on election night and learned who won with my first cup of coffee.

I did vote for Trump and will do so again.

Since you are going to vote D I have to ask is it because you actually support the things they are campaigning on (green new deal, free healthcare for illegals, etc) or is it because you think that it's mostly all talk and they aren't going to get very far doing these things if they are even serious about it?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks for starting this thread Cortopassi!

When I heard about the VP pick, I went hunting for info about Harris that wasn't a construct of the mainstream media. I think she may actually prove to be a moderate Democrat in the end. She clearly has an advanced case of TDS, but when it comes down to actions & policy, she doesn't look quite as radical as she's being portrayed.

She showed herself to be a "tough on crime" type during her time as a prosecutor and then Attorney General, and her platform when she was running for President included a public health insurance option rather than Medicare for All, and immigration reform but not outright open borders.

This is very important - much more so than any VP pick in history. Because, she's our next President if Biden wins. It's a little rich that she has bypassed the usual election process, having been turned down cold by voters in the primaries, but she didn't make those rules.

Also, she barely qualifies for one of the two main requirements of the post: African-American genes. Yeah she has some but she's equally of Indian (Asian) descent. And her father was a Stanford professor. Wonder why she didn't go to Stanford though....guessing she didn't get in.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 am
Wonder why she didn't go to Stanford though....guessing she didn't get in.
That could be an advantage at this point. It means she didn't lie/cheat/steal in order to get in, as it seems many others did.

Are you saying she'd be president in 4 years, WiseOne, or are you thinking sooner than that?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:07 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am
WiseOne wrote:
Wonder why she didn't go to Stanford though....guessing she didn't get in.
That could be an advantage at this point. It means she didn't lie/cheat/steal in order to get in, as it seems many others did.

Are you saying she'd be president in 4 years, WiseOne, or are you thinking sooner than that?
Sooner. January 20, 2021 to be exact. Either Biden is going to bow out, or he will remain in the White House but Kamala Harris will be the one calling the shots. Just like Edith Wilson and Dick Cheney, with his man-sized safe that I assume he kept George W. Bush in during the brief periods when he wasn't cutting switchgrass at his ranch. Also, let's HOPE it's Kamala Harris and not someone else who is not currently on any ticket who will be in charge. The thought of that is rather chilling...it will mean that we no longer have anything resembling a democratic election process.

One good thing about keeping Biden in the White House is that Kamala Harris may feel duty bound to represent his positions, which may help temper her far-left tendencies.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am

pp4me wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 am
Since you are going to vote D I have to ask is it because you actually support the things they are campaigning on (green new deal, free healthcare for illegals, etc) or is it because you think that it's mostly all talk and they aren't going to get very far doing these things if they are even serious about it?
Assuming the R's don't lose the Senate, I think checks and balances will moderate things. Green doesn't bother me really. I think the economics of solar and wind are going to drive that way anyway...which is a market based solution. However, if anyone understands how leasing of federal lands for oil, gas, mining and cattle work (as a westerner I do), the government heavily subsidizes that stuff. Compare how land leasing is done to how cellular bandwidth was sold off. The latter was much more market oriented and more fair to US citizens who actually "own" federal stuff. I would be for no-subsidization, but like someone else posted let's cut to the chase. The parties are picking industries they like, who amazingly, contribute to those same parties. I have a very good friend who works for a very large oil company and they are pretty much planning on fossil fuels no longer being used for most land-based transportation and electrical power generation (except for NG).

If the R's lose the Senate, then that's a good reminder of what is always required in a democratic system...you have to ALWAYS appeal to a majority if you want to hold office. Far left/far right puritans have a hard time getting their brains around this simple political fact.

Free healthcare for illegals...not in favor. However, I think the US healthcare system is completely jacked up...so at some point in time I think the current system will implode. I would love to see some serious experimentation when it comes to HC. Let's have a state go completely market based, let's have another go government and see what happens to both cost and healthcare results and maybe some other states try different mixed systems.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 am

Joe Biden said that his vice president needs to be capable of being president because he is so old.

"I can think of at least eight women, at least four or five people of color, that I think are totally qualified to be vice president of the United States," the former vice president, 77, said at a campaign event in Clinton, Iowa on Tuesday.

"But for me, it has to be demonstrated that whoever I pick is two things: One, is capable of [being] president because I'm an old guy," Biden said as some in the crowd laughed. "No, I'm serious. Look, I thank God I'm in great health. I work out. No, I'm serious. You know, I work out every morning. I'm in good shape — knock on wood, as my mother would say."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... an-old-guy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 am
As for Biden and Harris, neither have anywhere near the dislike factor that Hillary has. So I suspect they will win.
I disliked Hilary enough that I voted Trump. I would have otherwise voted for any other democrat. I'm in IL, so my vote for Trump did not matter, and my vote for Biden will not matter.

But I suspect there are enough people in swing states who swung Trump in 2016 because they did not like Hilary that will swing back making this a landslide for Biden.

We all have our opinions, that's mine.

As for why I will vote for them -- mostly about hope for the future. You may not believe in climate change, but I still believe pushing harder toward renewable energy is better than fracking, for example.

And if she does become president during Biden's first term, I'd be perfectly happy with a non-old-non-white person as president. Personally, for me it is more about the age. There really should be an upper limit, like there is a lower.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:23 am

WiseOne wrote:

Also, she barely qualifies for one of the two main requirements of the post: African-American genes. Yeah she has some but she's equally of Indian (Asian) descent. And her father was a Stanford professor. Wonder why she didn't go to Stanford though....guessing she didn't get in.
In light of your comment, it's ironic that KH is an alumni of Howard University, the most notable black university in the US, established by Freedmen shortly after the Civil War.
Also as to barely qualifying as African-American, under Plessy v. Fergusen which set forth the SCOTUS basis for the Jim Crow period, Plessy was 1/8 "African blood" and still deemed non-white. KH is clearly more than that, so she would have been excluded from white only facilities in the Jim Crow period which probably makes her black enough to be more than barely.

Thinking it through logically, with two Phd parents one a Stanford grad and the other UC Berkeley .....guessing she made a conscious choice to go to Howard, possibly a values based decision because it would not have been convenient nor as lucrative as an Ivy League university.
Last edited by glennds on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:27 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am
As for why I will vote for them -- mostly about hope for the future.
Pretty sure we are opposite sides of the political spectrum, but generally the party that can convince voters about the above will win and I am in complete agreement. R's used to be the party of optimism and in the 80s (I feel) pulled the country out of the 70s post-Nixon negative/hopeless cesspool the D's put us in. This issue is why I think Trump is going to probably get creamed this election and end up as a one term president.

I do believe, however, that from day 1 the lamestream press has been consistently and harshly negative of Trump way more than necessary. I also believe, that his big leadership test came, COVID, and he failed it...and most Americans believe he failed it.

There is one thing I do like...he has been 100% correct on taking a tough line on China. Long, long, long overdue...antagonizing our good international friends unnecessarily I'm not a fan of. Personally, I'm pretty convinced the Russians have something serious on him. His approach with them is just plain weird and no previous and I doubt any future president will treat them the way he has.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:44 am

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:07 am
Also, let's HOPE it's Kamala Harris and not someone else who is not currently on any ticket who will be in charge. The thought of that is rather chilling...it will mean that we no longer have anything resembling a democratic election process.
The fact that she was rejected by even the Dems and had to drop out after getting only 2 percent of the vote already doesn't speak well of the democratic process to me.

So who will be running the government if the Dems win. Well I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing some names like Clapper, Brennan, Holder, Yates, and Rice tossed around when it comes time for staffing. Probably not Comey since he already pissed both sides off.

And you can forget any prosecutions for the Russia hoax don't you think?

(And how about Hunter for Ambassador to China.)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:57 am

Yes, kbg.

It is not about me at all, or only slightly. It is about my girls, wanting them to be in an America that they feel proud of. That is helping people and nations. Pushing for freedom. Being supportive of diversity. Not dividing us into nasty groups and name calling...

I want more us, "together," not us and them. Does that make me a communist or socialist? Maybe in some people's eyes on this board yes.

I want to be able to travel back to Canada and Italy and see my relatives and hear them say (like they always have) you've got it so much better in the US, whereas right about now I imagine they are glad they don't live here, for many, many reasons.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 pm

@Xan,

Just curiosity, either tech purposely ignores me or has me on ignore. So what does a person see who has someone on ignore? Any post done by the "offender" just not showing up? How about embedded quotes from the "offender" in other's posts?

Thanks.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 pm
@Xan,

Just curiosity, either tech purposely ignores me or has me on ignore. So what does a person see who has someone on ignore? Any post done by the "offender" just not showing up? How about embedded quotes from the "offender" in other's posts?

Thanks.

This is what appears on the thread.
The person who is blocked, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

The post will not appear unless you approve it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 pm

How many people have had the opportunity the live off the Government for this long ?
Attachments
tAUOt0Xh.jpeg
tAUOt0Xh.jpeg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 38870 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯