Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who still supports BLM after this?

Post by Lonestar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:02 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Lonestar wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm
Not to be naive, but I always wonder if these companies are openly supporting these liberal causes because they actually believe in them, fear a loss of revenue if they don't, or both? I guess it really doesn't matter to me personally because I always make a mental note and do business elsewhere.
I always say that "money makes the world go round" therefore I'd say corporations are always going to take actions which maximize their profits.

Vinny
Yes, but corporations are pandering to the crowd that hate capitalism and big business, the exact group that hates them. They would love to lynch the same over-paid, large company CEO that can't wait to fold to their demands. I would also bet this herd of protesters account for only small part of the corporate revenue.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm
I stopped by the Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury, VT this afternoon. They had the mandatory paean to BLM, but mostly they were pushing prison reform. And while I'm onboard with prison reform, (I assume that means straight to execution instead of lockup?) I don't know what that has to do with coconut and chocolate ice cream.

At least with Ben and Jerry's, social causes have been their brand from day one - so I admire their consistency.
Chunky, and yet creamy.
Too bad they're wrong so often :)
O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:39 am

Lonestar wrote:
Not to be naive, but I always wonder if these companies are openly supporting these liberal causes because they actually believe in them, fear a loss of revenue if they don't, or both? I guess it really doesn't matter to me personally because I always make a mental note and do business elsewhere.
I think Victor Davis Hanson, one of the only authors still worth reading at National Review, really nails this here (the whole thing is worth reading - clear your browser cache if it says you are out of free articles)

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/07/ ... ame-trump/
In the short term, they just wish that all the bad stuff would go away. In a collective fetal position, CEOs and various liberal-mainstay groups are happy to write checks to the revolutionaries, grant their demands, and voice their platitudes — on the theory that when the rough stuff really starts, they will be left alone to run the country as they think they always do. They are in a sense playing the role of the anti-czarist aristocrats who believed that the motley crew of Bolsheviks would be honored to have their money and support — and their own controlling influence.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:39 am
Lonestar wrote:
I think Victor Davis Hanson, one of the only authors still worth reading at National Review, really nails this here (the whole thing is worth reading - clear your browser cache if it says you are out of free articles)

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/07/ ... ame-trump/
In the short term, they just wish that all the bad stuff would go away. In a collective fetal position, CEOs and various liberal-mainstay groups are happy to write checks to the revolutionaries, grant their demands, and voice their platitudes — on the theory that when the rough stuff really starts, they will be left alone to run the country as they think they always do. They are in a sense playing the role of the anti-czarist aristocrats who believed that the motley crew of Bolsheviks would be honored to have their money and support — and their own controlling influence.
Agree - CEO's want to wait out the outlier that is Trump - virtue signaling until a Dem or RINO is in power.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 pm

BLM extorting business owners in Louisville, vandalizing stores that don't pay up. Tim makes some good points, including that this is what we could probably expect from "community policing" like BLM wants. Also, that leftists in government have realized that if they decree that "racism" is a public health hazard, they can have as much power as they've claimed over us in the name of coronavirus.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 pm
BLM extorting business owners in Louisville, vandalizing stores that don't pay up. Tim makes some good points, including that this is what we could probably expect from "community policing" like BLM wants. Also, that leftists in government have realized that if they decree that "racism" is a public health hazard, they can have as much power as they've claimed over us in the name of coronavirus.
And in Minneapolis, the criminals are officially in charge:

https://alphanewsmn.com/minneapolis-pol ... be-robbed/

I wonder how many people will decide that they'd rather arm themselves for protection regardless of the law there?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Has anyone noticed that antifa is almost exclusively made up of seemingly homeless freaks and effeminate males dressed like vaguely Tali from Mass Effect?

It's bewildering.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:51 am

Imagine my shock.
This needs to happen all over the country so that even the Marxist media won't be able to keep people from finding out about it.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm rethinking all of my Q3 business plans. Since companies will obviously need their own security forces going forward, it seems redundant to also hire employees. I'm going to put the old gang back together. I think my newly formed security corp would love to form raiding parties on their slow days. There are some full-stack engineers and front desk gals in Seattle and San Francisco that I could use. I just need one strong commander that can give the troops free rein to pillage and loot as long as they bring me back all of the engineers and hospitality hostesses unharmed. Kriegsspiel, pm me.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Do you operate black sites? Ahh fuck it, it sounds good either way.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:19 pm
Do you operate black sites? Ahh fuck it, it sounds good either way.
Not anymore. Sold in 2015. We had about 2 dozen guys in the sandbox at any one time. Air and ground.

Funny, I just noticed that my last non-compete fell off earlier this year. I do like to compete :)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:38 pm

That stuff sounds too nice for me to have played with. Ravens and preds only for this guy.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:38 pm
That stuff sounds too nice for me to have played with. Ravens and preds only for this guy.
Those were beautiful birds. We did a couple of test mounts on their hard points, but it was never practical.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 am

Joking aside, are we getting close to the point where we will read daily pieces about a mass exodus of police officers to private security?
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Just had a discussion tonight with a detective with a local university. He is thinking of leaving his position due to his belief that the state will be taking away qualified immunity for those in law enforcement.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 pm

I don't know about police officers shifting to new jobs, but there is a huge spike in police officers suddenly deciding to retire:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/nypd-limi ... this-week/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:21 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 pm
I don't know about police officers shifting to new jobs, but there is a huge spike in police officers suddenly deciding to retire:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/nypd-limi ... this-week/
Yeah, I saw something similar.
RIP Marcello Gandini
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Looting is reparations': BLM protesters gather outside Chicago PD in support of looters who ransacked city Sunday night, as organizer claims 'anything they wanted to take, they can take because these businesses have insurance.’

Ok then.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Do people making these statements know how insurance works - the concept of deductibles and premiums?

I heard the same thing when the looting/riots happened in the Seattle area. Like somehow no harm is done because the business owners may have insurance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 pm

Kramer: It's a write-off for them. These big companies, they just write everything off.

Jerry: Write it off /what/? You don't even know what a write-off is!

Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:08 am

drumminj wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47 pm
Do people making these statements know how insurance works - the concept of deductibles and premiums?

I heard the same thing when the looting/riots happened in the Seattle area. Like somehow no harm is done because the business owners may have insurance.
Math is racist, so obviously insurance is also racist.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:35 pm
Looting is reparations': BLM protesters gather outside Chicago PD in support of looters who ransacked city Sunday night, as organizer claims 'anything they wanted to take, they can take because these businesses have insurance.’

Ok then.
I saw that next to an article about local black Chicagoans telling BLM protestors to get lost.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 am
I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Ok then.
I saw that next to an article about local black Chicagoans telling BLM protestors to get lost.
https://babylonbee.com/news/riotous-blm ... ack-people
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 am

Who knows what is actually in people's heads....

There was a fascinating thread on NextDoor, in which people wrote in bemoaning the increase in my neighborhood in crime, graffiti, groups of people shooting up drugs & playing loud music at 2 am, etc. There was a post to the effect that it was all Trump's fault.

I wrote in pointing out that the mayor and council of this city have far more responsibility for this state of affairs than Trump possibly could, given who actually is in charge here. The responses were hysterical. Entirely consistent with people who firmly believe that 2 + 2 does not equal 4. Here's one of my favorites:
The three examples you gave (bail reform, ending broken windows, not keeping as many people in Rikers) are not making our city worse. They're stopping our city from disproportionately punishing poor people and/or people of color.

There are a lot of mistakes De Blasio has made, and I'm not exactly a fan of his, but police, prison, and bail reform all help to protect ALL members of our our community rather than just a chosen few.
I did not bother responding...though I would like to ask just how these measures are protecting us, and how these people would explain the runup in crime. Well I already had the answer to that last one...see above.

If these are the people who are dominating in NYC elections, then geez....our city really is doomed. The good news is that my neighborhood is faring much better than neighborhoods like the Upper West Side, and I heard that was true in the 1980s as well.