Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:10 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm
I was feeling a little depressed lately by the polls showing Biden way ahead but after listening to this interview I'm feeling more encouraged. If there are head to head debates in the fall (which there might not be), I don't see how Trump won't end up eating Biden's lunch.

For the record I have never listened to any speech that Donald Trump has ever given for the same reason I haven't listened to any presidential speech since maybe once or twice in the Reagan years - lots of noise and platitudes but zero useful information. Whenever I see Trump sit down for a one-on-one interview however, I'm amazed to see that he is much more of a thoughtful person than he is portrayed in the media.

So does Trump have narcissistic personality traits? For sure. So does Putin, Xi, Erdogan and any other leaders he mentioned here which I may have forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ma5uG7alUk
Those describe all other presidential speeches. But NOT Trump's. He is extreme entertainment! Why else would someone like me, who'd never vote for him under any conditions, listen to his "speech" (plus all that surrounded it) three times in one day? Entertaining!

On election night when he gave his acceptance speech around 4 AM, though I was definitely not happy he'd won, nothing he said got me upset in the least. I told my friend, "This is going to be interesting." But following him was one of those typical Republicans who spouted the typical Republican line which succeeded in getting me all wound up and upset. But not at Trump. At that Republican.

Vinny
I have seen clips from speeches on Fox News. Just can't listen to a whole speech.

Sometimes I think he would make a good stand up comedian. He cracks me up all the time but a lot of people don't appreciate the humor.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:10 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:10 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm
I was feeling a little depressed lately by the polls showing Biden way ahead but after listening to this interview I'm feeling more encouraged. If there are head to head debates in the fall (which there might not be), I don't see how Trump won't end up eating Biden's lunch.

For the record I have never listened to any speech that Donald Trump has ever given for the same reason I haven't listened to any presidential speech since maybe once or twice in the Reagan years - lots of noise and platitudes but zero useful information. Whenever I see Trump sit down for a one-on-one interview however, I'm amazed to see that he is much more of a thoughtful person than he is portrayed in the media.

So does Trump have narcissistic personality traits? For sure. So does Putin, Xi, Erdogan and any other leaders he mentioned here which I may have forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ma5uG7alUk
Those describe all other presidential speeches. But NOT Trump's. He is extreme entertainment! Why else would someone like me, who'd never vote for him under any conditions, listen to his "speech" (plus all that surrounded it) three times in one day? Entertaining!

On election night when he gave his acceptance speech around 4 AM, though I was definitely not happy he'd won, nothing he said got me upset in the least. I told my friend, "This is going to be interesting." But following him was one of those typical Republicans who spouted the typical Republican line which succeeded in getting me all wound up and upset. But not at Trump. At that Republican.

Vinny
I have seen clips from speeches on Fox News. Just can't listen to a whole speech.

Sometimes I think he would make a good stand up comedian. He cracks me up all the time but a lot of people don't appreciate the humor.
I generally don't find a lot of "comedians" humorous. Trump IS humorous. I may not agree at all with what he has just said but he's said it in an extremely entertaining manner. He definitely has high intelligence in that dimension of intelligence (whereas I'd grade out as mentally challenged in that same dimension).

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Republican lawmakers’ embrace of ‘blithering idiot’ Trump will cripple their party for years: GOP consultant

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/republ ... um=twitter
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:48 pm

Alienated by Trump, Suburban Voters Sour on G.O.P. in Battle for the House

House Republicans are on the defensive in suburban strongholds as voters reject President Trump’s handling of the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/us/p ... ticleShare
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

If you dislike Trump and his manner, you are a never Trumper, or have TDS. You can't anymore just be a good hearted person/left leaning, social liberal who is sick of divisiveness. You are a communist, a Marxist, or whatever.

Trump supporters have 90 days to turn things around. Good luck with that. Scaring suburbanites that they are going to have low income housing in their neighborhoods is a great way to move votes to Trump.

Outright racism? No. Covert racism, pretty sure.

I almost made it 7 days without posting on a political thread, and it was pretty refreshing.

Trump hit it on the head a few days ago with his woe is me talk about nobody liking him, that it must be his personality.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:13 am

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am
Trump supporters have 90 days to turn things around. Good luck with that. Scaring suburbanites that they are going to have low income housing in their neighborhoods is a great way to move votes to Trump.

Outright racism? No. Covert racism, pretty sure.
Oh, puhleeze. People work hard so they can buy a nice house for their family and live a comfortable life. If they don't want a bunch of lazy losers living next door to them, that doesn't make them racist. I'm sure they don't want lazy loser white people living next door to them either.

Quoted from a bumper sticker: the demand for racist hate far exceeds the supply of any racist hate incidents.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:10 pm

People work hard so they can buy a nice house for their family and live a comfortable life. If they don't want a bunch of lazy losers living next door to them, that doesn't make them racist. I'm sure they don't want lazy loser white people living next door to them either.

....I bet you'd find a lot of those low income losers are working 2/3/4 jobs and would like to break the cycle and get their kids into good schools in the suburbs. But watch out, they might be a scary black or Hispanic family...

Go ahead and tell me that isn't the exact picture those comments are trying to get into white suburban moms' heads.

"Your home will go down in value and crime rates will rapidly rise," he said. "Joe Biden and his bosses from the radical left want to significantly multiply what they're doing now and what will be the end result is you will totally destroy the beautiful suburbs. Suburbia will be no longer as we know it."

Tell, me what does that last bit even mean? "Suburbia will be no longer as we know it."

I am 100% sure when my family broke out of the city to get to the suburbs, somewhere, someone along the way said, oh, no, a lowly car mechanic, in OUR subdivision? Heaven's to Betsy, what's the world coming to? And he's Italian too!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Trump Says U.S. Should Get Slice of TikTok Sale Price
“I did say that ‘If you buy it…a very sub­stan­tial por­tion of that price is go­ing to have to come into the Trea­sury of the United States, be­cause we’re mak­ing it pos­si­ble for this deal to hap­pen.’ Right now they don’t have any rights un­less we give it to them.”
Not sure I like this...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

@Cortopassi, would you personally be okay with living next door to a low-income housing development? Be totally honest.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Anybody who can afford a house in my suburban neighborhood is welcome regardless of race, religion, or national origin. Actually we have a very diverse community, my own household being half Asian. Next door neighbors are Indian and there is a Pakistani family a few doors down that owns the convenience store where I buy my beer.

If you can't afford it and the government has to build it for you and/or subsidize it then I would rather you lived elsewhere until you can afford it - because that's the one thing we still all have in common.

If that makes me some kind of bigot, then so be it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm
@Cortopassi, would you personally be okay with living next door to a low-income housing development? Be totally honest.
I would not.

But I am not the president, and I'm not using that in an effort to scare people about what might be coming.

Apparently Joe Biden becoming president will cause:

--Undesirables to live next door to you
--No police
--Shitty health care
--A zero on the stock market
--Locusts

Trump is all about hyperbole and exaggeration. Very tired of it.

There are plenty of condos, apartments and lower cost houses in the city in which I live that could hopefully afford the same at least school opportunities without having to legislate it.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm
I would not.

But I am not the president, and I'm not using that in an effort to scare people about what might be coming.

Apparently Joe Biden becoming president will cause:

--Undesirables to live next door to you
--No police
--Shitty health care
--A zero on the stock market
--Locusts

Trump is all about hyperbole and exaggeration. Very tired of it.

There are plenty of condos, apartments and lower cost houses in the city in which I live that could hopefully afford the same at least school opportunities without having to legislate it.
I don't like the hyperbole either but you can't be serious if you think it's only Trump who engages in it. Somewhere in this thread, or maybe another, I posted a picture of a flyer we have received in the mail 3 times accusing Trump of poisoning our drinking water. I think my favorite hyperbolic claim of all time was that Trump was already guilty of more deaths than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao COMBINED!

You can actually find this sort of thing going back all the way to the beginning of the republic. I too find it very ugly but it just seems to be the way politics works.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm

I like this one:

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Trump Says U.S. Should Get Slice of TikTok Sale Price
“I did say that ‘If you buy it…a very sub­stan­tial por­tion of that price is go­ing to have to come into the Trea­sury of the United States, be­cause we’re mak­ing it pos­si­ble for this deal to hap­pen.’ Right now they don’t have any rights un­less we give it to them.”
Not sure I like this...
I think it's called graft
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 am

Hey, Donnie, how do we get a piece of da action? You tellin' me we got control and we don't get a cut? Dat ain't gonna happen.

**It reminded me of one of my favorite original Star Trek episodes, A Piece of the Action. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piece_o ... al_Series)

-----------------

It’s a little bit like the landlord-tenant [relationship]. Uh, without a lease, the tenant has nothing. So they pay what is called “key money” or they pay something. But the United States should be reimbursed, or should be paid a substantial amount of money because without the United States they don’t have anything, at least having to do with the 30%.

So, uh, I told him that. I think we are going to have, uh, maybe a deal is going to be made, it’s a great asset, it’s a great asset. But it’s not a great asset in the United States unless they have the approval of the United States.

So it’ll close down on September 15th, unless Microsoft or somebody else is able to buy it, and work out a deal, an appropriate deal, so the Treasury of the — really the Treasury, I suppose you would say, of the United States, gets a lot of money. A lot of money.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm
I think I want mandatory clown service. Who do I have to vote for in the US to get it?
You mean you’re not tired of it? 😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Trump's stream of subconsciousness becomes a torrent in car-crash interview
John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:26 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm
John Crace

Have you come up with that list of actions that President Trump has taken that you find objectionable?
You keep posting stuff about how he talks and tweets, but still nothing in the realm of action.
Is that because you don't have anything?
Sorry, tech, those are 100% inseparable, for me at least. And the Axios interview was a disaster for him, in my opinion. Why even do them?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
John Crace

Have you come up with that list of actions that President Trump has taken that you find objectionable?
You keep posting stuff about how he talks and tweets, but still nothing in the realm of action.
Yes. You had asked me to do that. And, initially I said I'd do so. But the more I thought about it I wondered where that would lead to. Especially against a formidable intellectual opponent as yourself and one who who seems to be among one of the greatest Trump apologists found anywhere. I then asked you to list what you found that he's done to be praiseworthy and I'd respond to that.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
John Crace

Yes. You had asked me to do that. And, initially I said I'd do so. But the more I thought about it I wondered where that would lead to. Especially against a formidable intellectual opponent as yourself and one who who seems to be among one of the greatest Trump apologists found anywhere. I then asked you to list what you found that he's done to be praiseworthy and I'd respond to that.

Vinny
I will respond to you on a new thread when I have a chance. I have a major enhancement to implement for my software project and that obviously must take precedence but I have to run frequent tests that give me a few minutes at a time for other activities.
More importantly than our sparring back and forth on Trump is you being successful in your major enhancement. And, I truly, sincerely hope for your best success in doing that. I'm sure what you are doing IS making a contribution to the world. That's far more important than whatever you and I say to one another.

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 am

So will people to listen to what he says, or what he does? What happens on Nov 3 when he's making comments like this?

------------

“We have to win the election. We can’t play games. Go out and vote. Do those beautiful absentee ballots, or just make sure your vote gets counted. Make sure because the only way we're going to lose this election is if the election is rigged,” he told his supporters in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Remember that. It’s the only way we’re going to lose this election, so we have to be very careful.”

------------

I hope there's a landslide one way or the other. A near 50/50 split would be possibly really bad.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 am
So will people to listen to what he says, or what he does? What happens on Nov 3 when he's making comments like this?

------------

“We have to win the election. We can’t play games. Go out and vote. Do those beautiful absentee ballots, or just make sure your vote gets counted. Make sure because the only way we're going to lose this election is if the election is rigged,” he told his supporters in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Remember that. It’s the only way we’re going to lose this election, so we have to be very careful.”

------------

I hope there's a landslide one way or the other. A near 50/50 split would be possibly really bad.
The only thing I can say is if you Really want to understand,a quite possibly answer your questions
try reading/Lurking the Donald Website.Walk in Trump's Voters Shoe as it were.
Just give it a couple of weeks to let the mood sink in.
I know you may be repulsed,I know it is a challenge,
But Hey do you have anything to lose?
Link to Trump Voters:
https://thedonald.win/

I wish you well..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 am

He keeps on winning. 75 days before the election piss off a US company, based in Ohio no less, that employs 10s of thousands of people.

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:45 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 am
He keeps on winning. 75 days before the election piss off a US company, based in Ohio no less, that employs 10s of thousands of people.

I guess your news source failed to inform you, the Rest of the Story.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯