The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

Post by Libertarian666 »

by Harvey A. Risch, MD, PhD , Professor of Epidemiology, Yale School of Public Health

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating- ... on-1519535

@WiseOne
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Spoiler alert: hydroxychloroquine. But you all probably already knew that because Libertarian666 is OP.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

Post by Libertarian666 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 am Spoiler alert: hydroxychloroquine. But you all probably already knew that because Libertarian666 is OP.
Not necessarily. I'd be happy to post about ANYTHING that has significant evidence of being useful.
It just so happens that is the best shot at the moment.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Does anyone have a non-biased view/summary of the studies thus far conducted. I tried to educate myself on hydroxychloroquine and just couldn't come to a conclusion. Like everything with COVID the majority of reviews seemed to be from folks with a clear bias to see the evidence one way or another. It seemed to me that several US and European studies were mixed (some for, some against), most not very big in size but countered by "successful results in the field" that I've seen interpreted many ways.

It did look like to me the UK did a couple of big ones and hydroxychloroquine did not farewell...but then there was a lot of discussion about hydroxychloroquine alone and a cocktail of it and a couple of other drugs (zinc?).

I would love to be able to read a dispassionate summary of what has been determined and what is really still unknown/not certain.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Hmmm...this seemed dispassionate. https://www.contagionlive.com/news/fda- ... hloroquine

Bottom line: To Be Determined
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Coming from a stance of mostly ignorance, I wouldn't be surprised if HCQ turns out to really help some people beat it and not do anything for others.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

The cocktail of HCQ, Azithromycin or Doxycycline, and Zinc when used at the first sign of symptoms seems to be the winning solution. Anything outside of that recipe or administered at later points is irrelevant. So you have to wonder why people who flatly state "HCQ doesn't work" offer up examples that don't fit.

Around here it's like saying "Gold sucks" (or stocks suck, or bonds suck, or cash sucks) instead of considering the full mix of assets working together.

I'm not a doctor or a scientist (or a politician!) and I'm not claiming that the HCQ cocktail works, just that the logic of its detractors seems faulty.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

HCQ is a tough one to figure out.

If it's been used for decades for malaria, are they saying all those people are at risk of heart issues? Or is the dose for Covid a lot higher, or longer?

Not sure I understand this and I hate to use the word or go down the path of conspiracy, just because it is too easy and doesn't make sense, and to me, would not jive with the morality of what I assume are mostly good and decent doctors.

I find it hard to believe there is a conspiracy to downplay HCQ just because Trump promotes it. But I see how people can go for that stance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm I find it hard to believe there is a conspiracy to downplay HCQ just because Trump promotes it. But I see how people can go for that stance.
Yeah, me too. The politicization of COVID by all sides really ticks me off when I think about it. It just shouldn't be this way.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Good video on this topic by Scott Adams framing the situation as a risk management issue where CNN potentially sacrifices thousands of lives to "get Trump".

Episode 1076 Scott Adams: Trump is Medically Correct and CNN Might Be Killing Tens-of-Thousands