Executive Member

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by Hal » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am
Hey Vinny,

Let me recommend a book by Lierre Kieth, "The Vegetarian Myth." There are a lot of claims about the dangers of meat eating that simply aren't true. The book very effectively rebuts them.

Research on pre-Neolithic diets indicates that the human diet was primarily (but not exclusively) based on meat. And, that human health worsened significantly after the transition to agriculture - height and life expectancy declined, teeth and bones started showing chronic disease, and heart disease (from investigations of Egyptian mummies) became common. Fascinating stuff. Takehome is that humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet, and particularly are not adapted to eating grains.
Thanks. Just bought a used copy from Amazon. Will get to me sometime in August.

Vinny
Sounds like you should do the 72 Oz challenge Vinny ;D

https://www.bigtexan.com/live-stream/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am
Hey Vinny,

Let me recommend a book by Lierre Kieth, "The Vegetarian Myth." There are a lot of claims about the dangers of meat eating that simply aren't true. The book very effectively rebuts them.

Research on pre-Neolithic diets indicates that the human diet was primarily (but not exclusively) based on meat. And, that human health worsened significantly after the transition to agriculture - height and life expectancy declined, teeth and bones started showing chronic disease, and heart disease (from investigations of Egyptian mummies) became common. Fascinating stuff. Takehome is that humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet, and particularly are not adapted to eating grains.
Thanks. Just bought a used copy from Amazon. Will get to me sometime in August.

Vinny
Sounds like you should do the 72 Oz challenge Vinny ;D

https://www.bigtexan.com/live-stream/
I don't think so! But once as a kid I was awarded an "I ate the entire banana split" button! Devoured anything with sugar in it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 am

I'm not bulky, just lean with tone. The backpack usually has 5-10 lbs in it.

> humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet

Tens of millions have thrived on vegetarian diets over the centuries. The only indisputable cases of diet failures are scurvy and rickets. For every book claiming being vegetarian is unhealthy there are 10 with data suggesting otherwise.

Rather than convince yourself you couldnt possibly eat healthier & more humanely, just accept that for you, its not worth the effort. Nobody gives 100% of their disposable income to charity either.

Arguments about diet aren't about diet, anything balanced is good enough. We don't want the pain caused by eating less than we want (im starving right now) or the pain from eating something different than what we grew up with. ie the flavors that wired up to the dopamine centers during childhood.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am

I don't question that some people can handle a vegetarian diet. Many however do not. Personally, I was vegetarian for a few years and that's when I started having weight problems. I also know a lot of people who spent years as vegetarians but for various reasons usually connected to health issues they went back to meat eating. Or, they started eating meat and then discovered that their health improved. And, there have been studies associating depression with vegetarian diets, a most interesting link.

As a neurologist I have also seen some severe medical consequences from vegetarian (especially vegan) diets. Like an otherwise healthy vegan man who spent two years wheelchair bound in a SNF because of B12 deficiency. Sure, not everyone will have this happen....but SOME will. And if there's one problem like this that can crop up, be assured there are more.

I'm just generally sold on the idea that the diet that humans evolved on is most likely the one that we are best adapted to eat today. The idea that we evolved to eat one diet but are actually healthiest on a totally different one...doesn't that strike you as odd? If it's true, then we are literally the only species on the planet with that characteristic.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am

Isn't B-12 is available through supplementation?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am
Yes. I just grabbed my bottle of Vitamin B-12 5000 mcg and am looking it.

My doctor recommended it even though my blood test did not reveal any B vitamin issues.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am
I also know a lot of people who spent years as vegetarians but for various reasons usually connected to health issues they went back to meat eating. Or, they started eating meat and then discovered that their health improved.
The one that got to me was the then-wife of Morgan Spurlock (of ‘Super-Size Me’ fame). She was a professional vegan chef! And she went back to the meat.

No dirty comments, kriegsspiel. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am
bedraggled wrote:

My doctor recommended it even though my blood test did not reveal any B vitamin issues.

Vinny
Not sure exactly what you eat, Vinny, but if you consume dairy and eggs you can skate along without the B supplements. Not great, but you'll live.

Also, if you eat breakfast cereals, many of those are fortified with B vitamins. Needless to say, that wouldn't be my first choice.
Last edited by Mark Leavy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 am

In the documentary "The Magic Pill" about the keto diet there was a woman who was a vegan of the strictest kind who bought a piece of land where she intended to grow all of her own fruits and vegetables for food. So she went to a local store to buy some fertilizer and decided to look at what exactly was in the fertilizer, only to discover that one of the ingredients was "blood meal". And that's when the light went off for her. It takes dead animals to grow fruits and vegetables - it's simply nature's way on planet earth. So she went out and bought some chickens and other animals and changed her diet.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am
bedraggled wrote:

Vinny
Not sure exactly what you eat, Vinny, but if you consume dairy and eggs you can skate along without the B supplements. Not great, but you'll live.

Also, if you eat breakfast cereals, many of those are fortified with B vitamins. Needless to say, that wouldn't be my first choice.
Vegan at home. And, no breakfast cereals since I was a kid.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 am
In the documentary "The Magic Pill" about the keto diet there was a woman who was a vegan of the strictest kind who bought a piece of land where she intended to grow all of her own fruits and vegetables for food. So she went to a local store to buy some fertilizer and decided to look at what exactly was in the fertilizer, only to discover that one of the ingredients was "blood meal". And that's when the light went off for her. It takes dead animals to grow fruits and vegetables - it's simply nature's way on planet earth. So she went out and bought some chickens and other animals and changed her diet.
The fertilizer in my garden is strictly the leaves from trees on my property. Two friends came by the other night and they could not believe how huge my kale plants were.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm
pp4me wrote:
The fertilizer in my garden is strictly the leaves from trees on my property. Two friends came by the other night and they could not believe how huge my kale plants were.

Vinny
I threw away about 20 bags of leaves from the oak trees in my backyard this year. My grandfather, that I grew up next to, would have considered that crazy since he got most of his fertilizer from "compost heaps" supplemented with dead fish caught from the traps in our pond (my mother always complained about the smell).

Still, when you are enjoying your kale I think you probably need to give some thanks to dead animals somewhere along the way.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm

pp4me wrote:
ha! Very interesting.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm
pp4me wrote:
ha! Very interesting.
The ecosphere has a natural cycle!

Best to have a balanced diet that is neutral and prepared for all possible outcomes!

;D
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:39 pm

At age 27, I ate a vegetarian diet through the winter. When I was in my 20s, I routinely ran 3 to 5 miles per day during warm weather. On a mid-March day, following my new "no meat" diet, I went out for a 2 mile jog to begin the new season. The jog was glorious. I raced around the track. In the prior decades of March warm-ups, I thought I would collapse each year due to the effects of my ingested crap during the cold weather. No breathing capacity and a lot of cramps and twinges occurred each spring start.

That particular vegetarian March day, the only thing different was the cessation of meat consumption. I ate all the chips, etc., and drank all that beer through the winter months.

I figure there's a pretty good correlation here, at least for exercise. And, yes, the ancestors/cave people did pursue a meat diet.

Any thoughts and opinions?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 pm

Did you ever have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a run?
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Bathroom visit? No! I imagine dehydration stopped that inconvenience. But I ate a stack of pancakes once before a run and felt like death-warmed-over. Do not do that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 am

😂
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am

During a long formation run back in the day, one of my squad said had to take a shit, so we ignored him and kept running. A bit later, he's like no really, I'm starting to shit my pants, so our NCO had us get down into a security perimeter downhill from the jogging track while he dropped one, then put him in the back of the group and rolled on. No big deal.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am
During a long formation run back in the day, one of my squad said had to take a shit, so we ignored him and kept running. A bit later, he's like no really, I'm starting to shit my pants, so our NCO had us get down into a security perimeter downhill from the jogging track while he dropped one, then put him in the back of the group and rolled on. No big deal.
For the men on the landing boats for Omaha Beach on D-Day they had no choice but to do it in their pants. A far less negative experience for what far too many of them experienced once they either got close to land or landed.

Last week read an entire book on that day on Omaha Beach. Horrifying what happened to so many.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am

For sure. I'd imagine the military has more stories with poop as an important element than any other endeavor.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am

We visited Normandy in 2017, just days before D-Day ceremonies. Even the anticipatory build up to the day was fascinating. Our guide rented his whole B & B to his buddies from the Netherlands Airborne. A photo of DW with the paratroopers and her wearing one of their helmets was great- and they were all taller as DW is 5'4".
Would like to return. Same guide, same situation but this virus....

BUT these stories don't get to my question re no meat eating and my galloping through a mid-March afternoon. Any correlation between Veggie-ness and a better jogging experience? Thank you.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am
I always fast before even taking a brisk walk if it’s going to be a long one because I hate even having the urge when I’m halfway out. A friend found out and she sent me an article by a woman who pooped while running. It said that the very act of running can stimulate a person to do so.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:02 am

Now remember, before any final, take a pre-game dump

Van Wilder was such a good movie. Ryan Reynolds is a funny motherfucker. I had something similar happen to me when I was taking the ACT.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am
BUT these stories don't get to my question re no meat eating and my galloping through a mid-March afternoon. Any correlation between Veggie-ness and a better jogging experience? Thank you.
If it feels good, just keep doing it. Some endurance people do better on a low carb diet, some do better on high carbs.