Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am
I still wonder if permanent lockdown measures are going to be the thing now. Like the TSA and taking off your shoes at airports are now widely accepted as permanent.
One would think that people would eventually decide they want to live and not merely exist. But the longer this goes on I am not so sure that people don’t forget what it is like to experience concerts or sporting events with large crowds or seeing movies on a big screen. People may just become acclimated to sitting at home living in a bubble on their computers.
I haven't gone to any of those events for decades. Maybe that's why this hasn't been as much of a strain on me as it has been on many people.

And I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am
I still wonder if permanent lockdown measures are going to be the thing now. Like the TSA and taking off your shoes at airports are now widely accepted as permanent.
One would think that people would eventually decide they want to live and not merely exist. But the longer this goes on I am not so sure that people don’t forget what it is like to experience concerts or sporting events with large crowds or seeing movies on a big screen. People may just become acclimated to sitting at home living in a bubble on their computers.
I haven't gone to any of those events for decades. Maybe that's why this hasn't been as much of a strain on me as it has been on many people.

And I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I'm a super introvert yet I don't mind being in large crowds being pressed up next to other people (such as live music events).

I think that brings up how the term "social distancing" is such a misnomer. It should have been more properly labeled "physical distancing". When those people are so close to me I'm generally practicing "social distancing" by not at all interacting with them even though they are within inches of me.

We've had an opening of some live music events here recently. But it's been confined to outdoors and charged by the carload and being confined to the space around your car. The price being charged per car does not at all make sense for a "one person" carload such as myself. Plus, I'd not have the freedom of movement to take pictures as I normally do.

Vinny

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm

My grandpa doesn't remember who I am. I'd like to see cirrhosis edge out mentail disease in teh top ten. Just a bit.

by that, I mean I would like more people to become degenerate alcoholics. Not sure if that was clear.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:18 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm
My grandpa doesn't remember who I am. I'd like to see cirrhosis edge out mentail disease in teh top ten. Just a bit.

by that, I mean I would like more people to become degenerate alcoholics. Not sure if that was clear.
That’s rough. I remember when my Alzheimer’s-afflicted grandma thought I was her son (my mom’s brother) because I look like him. I was sitting in a booth with Mom across from grandma and she kept telling us how I had aged gracefully, not like her daughter.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I'm exactly the same. Crowd hating mild extrovert.
I love large crowds /sarcasm/ and I'm a mild introvert; in honor of Pugchief, I'd put them right up there with root canals from a BLM endodontist in Portland after he had a night on the town. :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
I'm not even an introvert; I'm a mild extrovert. I still don't like large crowds though.
I love large crowds /sarcasm/ and I'm a mild introvert; in honor of Pugchief, I'd put them right up there with root canals from a BLM endodontist in Portland after he had a night on the town. :)
I agree that I am not a crowds person either. But packed stadiums for sporting events and concerts, sold out movie theaters and places like Disney World suggest that there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people. And 6 months in with no end in sight, I wonder how those people are feeling? Are they itching to get back out and about or is this "new normal" settling in and are they just adjusting to sitting at home, on the computer, "distancing"? And by the time we can ever go to a baseball game again, will they even remember or care what it is like? People can adjust to things over time, even things you think they would never give up.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am
MangoMan wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
I agree that I am not a crowds person either. But packed stadiums for sporting events and concerts, sold out movie theaters and places like Disney World suggest that there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people. And 6 months in with no end in sight, I wonder how those people are feeling? Are they itching to get back out and about or is this "new normal" settling in and are they just adjusting to sitting at home, on the computer, "distancing"? And by the time we can ever go to a baseball game again, will they even remember or care what it is like? People can adjust to things over time, even things you think they would never give up.
I'm fine with not having such events in the future, and apparently even a lot of people whose living is dependent on having such events don't care if no one wants to go to them.

Of course I'm referring to NASCAR, MLB, and the other sports leagues who seem intent on insulting their fans with political crap.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am
jalanlong wrote:
there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people.
Do they really 'like' it or are they just willing to put up with it ?
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 am

Of course I'm referring to NASCAR, MLB, and the other sports leagues who seem intent on insulting their fans with political crap.
I am sooo sick of politics being forced on me in sports, Hollywood movies/TV, and well, anywhere else that isn't C-Span.
Well I am not sure why you would pay hundreds of dollars to attend an event if you didn't actually like it.

The experience at my workplace tells me that there are a lot of people (at least 50%) who LOVE other people and doing things in large groups. I feel like some of them would come to work for free just to be able to talk with other people and be a part of a crowd. These are people that when given the choice by our company a few years back of a monetary bonus or a corporate end of year party out at a club, they chose the party.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 pm

I think a lot of people brave the crowds for the sake of their children.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:27 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 am
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
there are millions of people who do like to experience things with large groups of other people.
Libertarian666 wrote:

I am sooo sick of politics being forced on me in sports, Hollywood movies/TV, and well, anywhere else that isn't C-Span.
Well I am not sure why you would pay hundreds of dollars to attend an event if you didn't actually like it.

The experience at my workplace tells me that there are a lot of people (at least 50%) who LOVE other people and doing things in large groups. I feel like some of them would come to work for free just to be able to talk with other people and be a part of a crowd. These are people that when given the choice by our company a few years back of a monetary bonus or a corporate end of year party out at a club, they chose the party.
I'd definitely take the money! And, I set my limit on how much I'll pay for an event. Certainly never hundreds. That is for snobs would will never see local talent perform, which is a far better value.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

You misunderstood. I meant that someone may, for instance, want to see some concert. They dislike the crowd, but are willing to put up with it because they really like the band and want to see them live. They would rather go to a less crowded venue, but the band is only playing huge arenas so they have no choice if they want to see the band.
If that were the case then when a local sports team is playing in a championship game out of town and local fans can watch the game from the comfort of their home, why do thousands of them go sit or stand nut to butt in a public place to attend a "watching party" with a large television there? Because there are a lot of people who like to share experiences with a large crowd. And those are the people who I would have expected to have tired of sheltering in place by now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 am
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

You misunderstood. I meant that someone may, for instance, want to see some concert. They dislike the crowd, but are willing to put up with it because they really like the band and want to see them live. They would rather go to a less crowded venue, but the band is only playing huge arenas so they have no choice if they want to see the band.
If that were the case then when a local sports team is playing in a championship game out of town and local fans can watch the game from the comfort of their home, why do thousands of them go sit or stand nut to butt in a public place to attend a "watching party" with a large television there? Because there are a lot of people who like to share experiences with a large crowd. And those are the people who I would have expected to have tired of sheltering in place by now.
Or, even WAY, WAY, WAY worse.....going to a NFL game in frigid temperatures!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
Many years ago I went to an Eagles game with my father.
I've never been so cold in my life!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:07 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
jalanlong wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
Many years ago I went to an Eagles game with my father.
I've never been so cold in my life!
This is how bad I am! I was at the famous Pedro / Roger game at Yankee Stadium 2000 Memorial Day Weekend (Sunday night ESPN game).

I was in the bleachers with a sweater and leather jacket on. And, I was STILL shivering!

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

I can see how if you stay in one place, it might seem that all of the coronavirus restrictions might make sense and could be good science. All of the small items sound halfway reasonable on the surface.

Today, I drove from Stowe, VT to New Hope, PA.
Via: Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania.

Every 60 minutes was a new set of rules. And not any sort of sense or continuity to them. They were completely random and different every 80 miles. Some states are heavy on quarantine, others are outside dining only. Some are check your temp when you walk in the building. Others are no alcohol without food. Completely random. Fortunately, my ancestral home, South Dakota is on most of the "good" lists. Except for Rhode Island (which I had hoped to visit). If you visit Rhode Island, don't be from South Dakota. But everywhere else is cool.

I have been using this website as a key to clue me in on what to expect. But even, then, every place I go has posters up : "New Order from Governor Fulano : As of tomorrow, yada yada yada"

How could I take any of this seriously, even if I wanted to believe?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm
I can see how if you stay in one place, it might seem that all of the coronavirus restrictions might make sense and could be good science. All of the small items sound halfway reasonable on the surface.

Today, I drove from Stowe, VT to New Hope, PA.
Via: Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania.

Every 60 minutes was a new set of rules. And not any sort of sense or continuity to them. They were completely random and different every 80 miles. Some states are heavy on quarantine, others are outside dining only. Some are check your temp when you walk in the building. Others are no alcohol without food. Completely random. Fortunately, my ancestral home, South Dakota is on most of the "good" lists. Except for Rhode Island (which I had hoped to visit). If you visit Rhode Island, don't be from South Dakota. But everywhere else is cool.

I have been using this website as a key to clue me in on what to expect. But even, then, every place I go has posters up : "New Order from Governor Fulano : As of tomorrow, yada yada yada"

You've read 1984.
Orwell explained it very well.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for posting this Mark. I hadn't thought about this, but we're about to embark on a trip across country. It's helpful to have this info!
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 pm

I watched a Youtube on the Spanish Flu yesterday and was surprised to learn that there was a face mask mandate. Not only could you go to jail but a couple of people were even shot and killed according to the video.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Sounds fair to me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 pm
I watched a Youtube on the Spanish Flu yesterday and was surprised to learn that there was a face mask mandate. Not only could you go to jail but a couple of people were even shot and killed according to the video.

Last week I read a book on the Spanish Flu. In it were several pages on the mask debate, similar to now. I was going to put pictures of those pages here but sufficient motivation to do so never appeared.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:32 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Last week I read a book on the Spanish Flu. In it were several pages on the mask debate, similar to now. I was going to put pictures of those pages here but sufficient motivation to do so never appeared.

Vinny
The Youtube I watched was produced by a mask advocate but after reading further about it the experiment apparently didn't do much to settle the debate. Some people even claim it might have done more harm than good or at least did no good at all.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 am

A caller to C-Span's Washington Journal this morning was a doctor. He recommended these as two authoritative sources.

I don't normally watch videos or listen to podcasts. I do plan to listen to all of these (and, probably, each one of the series twice)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1504360345

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXITBl6W8Q

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 am

Remember when we were talking about school reopenings, and I said if they didn’t reopen parents would take matters into their own hands?

Well looks like that’s indeed happening. Would it be awesome if some find they prefer small independent schools? This could change the way we do education in this country permanently.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/schoolhous ... yURL_share
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 am
Remember when we were talking about school reopenings, and I said if they didn’t reopen parents would take matters into their own hands?

Well looks like that’s indeed happening. Would it be awesome if some find they prefer small independent schools? This could change the way we do education in this country permanently.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/schoolhous ... yURL_share
We will have a "pod" of three girls in my basement who are all on the same class track in high school learning together and helping each other if we go remote. At least to get some human interaction vs. staring at a screen.