The cars we love/hate & the cars we may buy.

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The cars we love/hate & the cars we may buy.

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:19 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
Geez.....I looked into auto insurance and it would be above $2K/year here. That is giving me pause.

Another wild idea: I could "move" to a less costly area e.g. near family in New England, but keep my job & city apartment. Between remote work and vacation time, I could easily total up the 6+ months per year in the less costly place required to avoid New York's tax investigators - especially if I were careful to do my grocery shopping there by credit card on the way down to the city.

I would give up the annual coop tax rebate but in return would no longer pay NYC income taxes, plus I could enjoy the lower costs of everything from car insurance to groceries.

This is a great strategy that I suspect a lot of people are going to be testing out...the main question is, if you still have an NYC job are they going to let you get away with living out of the metro area? Technically that's no different from commuting from NJ or CT suburbs, but if a lot of people start doing this because of their newfound location freedom I can't imagine NY wouldn't start pushing back somehow. The other issue is that my coop requires that the apt be your primary residence when you buy it - but yet again, who knows what's actually going to happen and whether they would try to enforce this.
I would definitely consider this possibility very seriously. The more established you are in another location, the less difficulty you would have in moving out for good when the time comes.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 am
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
Geez.....I looked into auto insurance and it would be above $2K/year here. That is giving me pause.

Another wild idea: I could "move" to a less costly area e.g. near family in New England, but keep my job & city apartment. Between remote work and vacation time, I could easily total up the 6+ months per year in the less costly place required to avoid New York's tax investigators - especially if I were careful to do my grocery shopping there by credit card on the way down to the city.

I would give up the annual coop tax rebate but in return would no longer pay NYC income taxes, plus I could enjoy the lower costs of everything from car insurance to groceries.

This is a great strategy that I suspect a lot of people are going to be testing out...the main question is, if you still have an NYC job are they going to let you get away with living out of the metro area? Technically that's no different from commuting from NJ or CT suburbs, but if a lot of people start doing this because of their newfound location freedom I can't imagine NY wouldn't start pushing back somehow. The other issue is that my coop requires that the apt be your primary residence when you buy it - but yet again, who knows what's actually going to happen and whether they would try to enforce this.
I "moved" to South Dakota 3 years before I sold my house in Oregon and while still working. I put SD plates on my jeep, got a SD driver's license, had all of my mail sent to SD - no mail at all sent to my Oregon house, registered to vote in SD, got car insurance in SD and opened a local checking account in SD. Basically trying to do as much as I could to make my new residency look legit.

From what I understand, though, NY is pretty aggressive about establishing residency. Especially if you own any property. You would have to be super careful.
Yes, and I believe they have even tried to follow retirees to other states to get "their" tax money that they didn't get due to IRA deductions. I think the courts slapped them down but they will probably try it again as they start the spiral down into insolvency.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:24 am
Mark,

Pretty fastidious on the fill-ups. I always watch MPG to get an "early warning." You may be on to something, though. I'll see about the next tankful and, probably, stop and ask the mechanic.

Vinnie,

I'm usually on top of the tire PSI but it's been 2 weeks. I'll check later today.

Cheers.

P.S. A 2018 Camry with 40,000 miles is approximately $23,000 less than a new Tesla 3. Any thought? Thanks.
I've not even checked my tires' pressure since the snow tires were put on last November 2019.

I'm sure that in the natural passage of time they've lost a lot of air?

On the one hand, I've not worried since over the last four months I've not even used a 1/2 tank of gas. But, on the other hand, I've also wondered if the tires are so underinflated that even the little I'm driving may be causing severe, permanent damage to the tires. And, they are four expensive studded snow tires with several years life left to them (if undamaged).

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:05 pm

My success at procrastinating with finishing my 2019 tax returns has finally ended tonight.

As part of my reviewing my 2019 tax return information I'm using Quicken (which contains EVERYTHING financial related to me - income, expenses, investment transactions). I have saved reports in it which I then export to my 2019 Excel tax return file.

On of them is my Income & Expenses for the last six years.

For the four years from 2016 to 2019, while my 2004 Honda Accord was 12 to 15 years old, I have a total of $5,481 spent or about $1,370 average. That would be for about 24,000 miles or about 6,000 per years.

That amount is more than all in. It includes

Insurance
Gas
Repairs
Oil changes
New tires (including full set of studded snow tires)
Twice a year tire changeovers.
License renewals
Registration renewals
Annual inspections
Any thing purchased car related - e.g., tire guages, air compressors

If I bought a new car today, how much does it depreciate the first day?

I paid $3,350 for this car in 2013 and I'm certain it'd still bring $1,000 today (with only about 153,000 miles on it).

Just checked my local Craigslist and it'd be a lot more than that!

Just checked a dealer ad for a 2004. With 206,000 miles, $3,495! More than I paid for mine nearly 7 years ago when it only had $123,000 miles.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 pm

That's an impressive cost/mile. Since I bought my current vehicle I've driven it just under 7k miles a year and I spent an avg $1760/ year.

So, 25 cents/mile vs Vinny's 23 cents/mile. And I haven't even had to get a new license.

I didn't include depreciation, which is usually my biggest cost related to cars (I've tended to churn through them in the past). I still wish I had kept my Scion Xa.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 am

Last I posted, I noted my last tank of gas dropped from 29 down to 22MPG. False alarm: in mixed driving I am back at 29MPG. All is good.

The situation now presents me with a decision on repainting my 1991 Accord with 358,100 miles. I got rear-ended at a red light 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. We are ok. Curiously, the other driver couldn't put his cell phone down in the 75 minutes we waited for the officer to complete the paperwork. Anyone want to guess why he hit us? The other driver's insurance company sent me a check to repaint the bumper. Prior to the rear-ender, I had considered repainting as the clear-coat failed on the trunk and roof. Also, the body side molding looks "tired" as the car approaches its 30 year anniversary in September. An acquaintance recommended a shop that does his paint jobs on ALL of his hobby-restored vehicles. Total cost for paint and body molding, $800. I view this as a good deal.

Yes, I could sell it for a grand but Camrys are boring and the 1991 is not. Annual cost to operate vehicle, including $878 in auto insurance, $2,000, but probably a little less. Every part on the car seems to have been replaced.

Long story short. (Too late)! I like the car. I am only driving 5,000 miles/year due to virus. Why get another costly vehicle at this time, one that requires collision coverage? I want to take the 30 year old car to 400,000 miles and can due so effortlessly.

BTW, I get an "Antique" license plate and a reduced registration in September.

Comments, please. (Guess which way I'm leaning).

Thanks.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:35 am

bedraggled wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 am
Last I posted, I noted my last tank of gas dropped from 29 down to 22MPG. False alarm: in mixed driving I am back at 29MPG. All is good.

The situation now presents me with a decision on repainting my 1991 Accord with 358,100 miles. I got rear-ended at a red light 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. We are ok. Curiously, the other driver couldn't put his cell phone down in the 75 minutes we waited for the officer to complete the paperwork. Anyone want to guess why he hit us? The other driver's insurance company sent me a check to repaint the bumper. Prior to the rear-ender, I had considered repainting as the clear-coat failed on the trunk and roof. Also, the body side molding looks "tired" as the car approaches its 30 year anniversary in September. An acquaintance recommended a shop that does his paint jobs on ALL of his hobby-restored vehicles. Total cost for paint and body molding, $800. I view this as a good deal.

Yes, I could sell it for a grand but Camrys are boring and the 1991 is not. Annual cost to operate vehicle, including $878 in auto insurance, $2,000, but probably a little less. Every part on the car seems to have been replaced.

Long story short. (Too late)! I like the car. I am only driving 5,000 miles/year due to virus. Why get another costly vehicle at this time, one that requires collision coverage? I want to take the 30 year old car to 400,000 miles and can due so effortlessly.

BTW, I get an "Antique" license plate and a reduced registration in September.

Comments, please. (Guess which way I'm leaning).

Thanks.
Is the painting absolutely needed?

Last year I somehow cracked my bumper cover on my 2004 Accord. Had to have it replaced as it would have otherwise failed inspection.

I went to a junkyard and bought a new replacement for $70. Brought it to a body shop and they charged me $160 to install it. It would have cost me another $80 (?) to paint it so it'd match the rest of my blue car? I left it in its black state.

By the way, my per mile (historical) costs for my car just jumped up a lot as in the last few weeks I spend almost $500 for four new tires and then nearly $700 for an oil change and every conceivable part related to my back breaks.

By the way I'm now driving the same as you. I changed the oil at only 1,500 miles as it'd last been changed last October and unless I have a major problem I may not be going back until well after October.

Back to you, if you have to spend that money, I'd do it. I'm a repair person, rather than a buy new car person.

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:53 am

If I were to buy a Camry tomorrow, I would skip the unnecessary paint job. I would like to keep it 4 more years.

To watch it fade is unpleasant. And those non-fading glass headlights!

There are two rust pockets behind the rear wheel wells that are still yet to break through to the surface.
The two areas are still solid and ignore the rap of my knuckles. I'm confused by this three year old condition. Body shop said they could cut it out and replace with new metal before the repaint but that will cost more.

Decisions, decisions. Just wanna get through 4 more years. The replacement car should be truly edgy.

BTW, maintaining an old car lessens environmental impact and reduces carbon footprint.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 am

bedraggled wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:53 am
BTW, maintaining an old car lessens environmental impact and reduces carbon footprint.
I was told that such things were "clunkers" and that what was really good for the environment was to manufacture completely new cars! </sarcasm>
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 pm

bedraggled wrote:
If I were to buy a Camry tomorrow, I would skip the unnecessary paint job. I would like to keep it 4 more years.

There are two rust pockets behind the rear wheel wells that are still yet to break through to the surface.
The two areas are still solid and ignore the rap of my knuckles. I'm confused by this three year old condition. Body shop said they could cut it out and replace with new metal before the repaint but that will cost more.

Decisions, decisions. Just wanna get through 4 more years. The replacement car should be truly edgy.

My first three Honda Accords cost be a ton collectively to deal with the tremendous rust surrounding the rear wheel wells. Just paid to get it pass inspection. Never paid to get it painted.

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Re the paint job:

The car is like an adopted child, at this point. Any paint job and body work would fit nicely into a declining level of average annual maintenance expenditures.

Funny thing, the mechanic said my steel car would withstand a collision better than a current car. The chiropractor, while checking for aches and pains, and who knows cars, too, suggested the rear bumper performed as designed.

Guess I'll let you know within the week.

Thanks.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 pm

bedraggled wrote:

You have a really pleasing perspective on life, bedraggled.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 pm

We almost had to get rid of our 2001 Maxima.

It started stalling at idle and then racing other times.

I took it to my mechanic and he used his diagnostic computer to find out what the problem was.

He called me and said "I have bad news. You need a new Idle Air Control Valve. That's about $500 for the part, but the bad news is that it seems very likely that the engine computer has been damaged as a result of the failure of that part. If you need a new engine controller, that's going to be another big bill for the part and you'll have to get the car to the dealer to reprogram it (the dealer is 50 miles away)."

Altogether it looked like $1500 or so for a car that isn't worth $1000.

So I resigned myself to selling it for a couple of hundred dollars to my mechanic's helper who would fix it on his own dime and then try to resell it.

But my wife didn't want to let it go, so I said "Fine, do the research and if there is another option we'll see if it makes sense."

She found a company that reprograms the computer so you don't have to buy a new one and don't have to drive (or tow) it to the dealer. That would cut the maximum expense down to about $700. She also found the Idle Air Control Valve on Amazon for $130.

So I said okay, let's try changing that and hope that the engine computer is okay.

We got lucky. $300 later, the car is working again!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:05 pm

And that retained cash can be pretty handy. I can always get another new/newish car that requires collision coverage. I would like to get a new Tesla in 4 years. In the interim, I hope to have that solid 25% that Harry talked about. It won't be deep cash, though.

BTW, i believe that Harry Browne fans are in control of their money, as I feel about my current situation.

Thanks, folks. I'll decide soon.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 pm
But my wife didn't want to let it go ...
That's a great story. You really complement each other.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
But my wife didn't want to let it go ...
That's a great story. You really complement each other.
Thanks. She appreciated the compliment!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
We almost had to get rid of our 2001 Maxima.

It started stalling at idle and then racing other times.

I took it to my mechanic and he used his diagnostic computer to find out what the problem was.

He called me and said "I have bad news. You need a new Idle Air Control Valve. That's about $500 for the part, but the bad news is that it seems very likely that the engine computer has been damaged as a result of the failure of that part. If you need a new engine controller, that's going to be another big bill for the part and you'll have to get the car to the dealer to reprogram it (the dealer is 50 miles away)."

Altogether it looked like $1500 or so for a car that isn't worth $1000.

So I resigned myself to selling it for a couple of hundred dollars to my mechanic's helper who would fix it on his own dime and then try to resell it.

But my wife didn't want to let it go, so I said "Fine, do the research and if there is another option we'll see if it makes sense."

She found a company that reprograms the computer so you don't have to buy a new one and don't have to drive (or tow) it to the dealer. That would cut the maximum expense down to about $700. She also found the Idle Air Control Valve on Amazon for $130.

So I said okay, let's try changing that and hope that the engine computer is okay.

We got lucky. $300 later, the car is working again!
Can't tell you enough how stories like this warm my "super frugal, repair the car" heart!

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 am

Looks like I will get the repaint on the 30 year old Accord.

Question: Is it worth spending an extra $500 to get rust cut out in two areas immediately beyond the rear wheel wells? The cost might be less. The car will look nice after the paint job. If I also get the rust cut out, the car will be welcomed at car shows. I'll have that" antique" license plate, too.

DW understands the value of this old car and I think, maybe, the car should look as good as possible for her. I'm on the fence re this significant remediation as I'll get a Tesla in 4 years.

Thoughts, please.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:20 am

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 am

DW understands the value of this old car and I think, maybe, the car should look as good as possible for her.
There's your answer right there.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 am

bedraggled wrote:

Question: Is it worth spending an extra $500 to get rust cut out in two areas immediately beyond the rear wheel wells? The cost might be less. The car will look nice after the paint job. If I also get the rust cut out, the car will be welcomed at car shows. I'll have that" antique" license plate, too.

DW understands the value of this old car and I think, maybe, the car should look as good as possible for her. I'm on the fence re this significant remediation as I'll get a Tesla in 4 years.

Thoughts, please.
I would get the rust cut out.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 am
bedraggled wrote:

Thoughts, please.
I would get the rust cut out.
Me too. $500 is what fraction of the payment on a new car? Delay your Tesla purchase by two weeks and there you go. It's worth that to have your car really be taken care of, isn't it?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:37 am

bedraggled wrote:

Thoughts, please.
Are you in a state with inspections? In Massachusetts I had no choice. I had to take rust action so as to pass inspection. Absent that I would not have taken care of it.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 am

To anyone who might be living in or visiting a city like NYC and parking a car on the street:

MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A HONDA.

Hondas have always been at the top of the list for car thieves, and that was confirmed recently by a NextDoor thread on a spike in car thefts & vandalism in my neighborhood. Posters reported that in the past month, 3 cars were stolen from one specific street, and 2 others had their exhaust systems including the catalytic converter removed - same location. All 5 cases involved Hondas, and the two that had their exhaust systems stolen were a Honda Element and a CRV. It seems that thieves look for cars that are high off the ground and easy to get underneath.

The police were 100% non-interested, which is a very big change from just a couple years ago when they would have started doing foot patrols to deal with the problem. That is ominous indeed.
Simonjester wrote:
this kind of crime has not been a crime for a few years or more in CA, if you call and report stuff stolen off of, or out of your car they tell you "we don't respond to or file reports on this type of incident any more, go online and file your own report"...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 am
To anyone who might be living in or visiting a city like NYC and parking a car on the street:

MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A HONDA.

Hondas have always been at the top of the list for car thieves, and that was confirmed recently by a NextDoor thread on a spike in car thefts & vandalism in my neighborhood. Posters reported that in the past month, 3 cars were stolen from one specific street, and 2 others had their exhaust systems including the catalytic converter removed - same location. All 5 cases involved Hondas, and the two that had their exhaust systems stolen were a Honda Element and a CRV. It seems that thieves look for cars that are high off the ground and easy to get underneath.

The police were 100% non-interested, which is a very big change from just a couple years ago when they would have started doing foot patrols to deal with the problem. That is ominous indeed.
Does it matter how old the Honda is? Mine is a 2004 and about three years ago I had the entire muffler system (including catalytic converter) replaced with genuine Honda parts. It cost a shockingly $1,700. I guess I'm answering my own question? It'd still be a prime target?

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:14 pm

The Honda Element in question was a 2003. So, yes, your car is on the "Thieves Most Wanted" list.