Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:20 pm

What do you even call that?

Jim Snow Laws?

Apart-hide?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:39 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Jim Snow Laws?

Apart-hide?
O0 O0 O0 O0
Beyond the pale!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:

Jim Snow Laws?

Apart-hide?
Ha!

Well, we already have a de facto situation where a black person can commit crimes with no repercussions whatsoever, so....hey why not. We already know the virus is racist.

Oops wait...wasn't it supposed to be racist in the other direction??
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:

Jim Snow Laws?

Apart-hide?
Ha!

Well, we already have a de facto situation where a black person can commit crimes with no repercussions whatsoever, so....hey why not. We already know the virus is racist.

Oops wait...wasn't it supposed to be racist in the other direction??
It's very smart. It knows exactly in which direction to be racist in any given situation!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:31 pm

The rationale seems to have something to do with racial profiling so I have to ask, how does wearing a mask prevent racial profiling? Seems to me if blacks don't wear masks and whites do that makes it even easier to racially profile. So what am I missing?

And aren't blacks "triggered" by seeing white people wear masks - I mean doesn't it remind them of Ku Klux Klan hoods or something?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:31 pm
The rationale seems to have something to do with racial profiling so I have to ask, how does wearing a mask prevent racial profiling? Seems to me if blacks don't wear masks and whites do that makes it even easier to racially profile. So what am I missing?

And aren't blacks "triggered" by seeing white people wear masks - I mean doesn't it remind them of Ku Klux Klan hoods or something?
Maybe they think that people will think they are planning to rob a bank?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 pm
pp4me wrote:

Maybe they think that people will think they are planning to rob a bank?
If black people aren't required to wear masks and you see a black man wearing a mask why wouldn't you be more suspicious rather than less?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Simonjester wrote: because if we divide people up and make rules for them according to their color we will finally end racism... :'(
Yes, including bringing back segregation, which some of them are proposing right now!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:48 am

pp4me wrote:
Everything but the headline. O0
The premise is that blacks are being “forced” to look dangerous to whites, which will in turn endanger blacks in a more immediate way than coronavirus. Of course the other side is arguing that it’s just a way to get blacks infected while protecting whites. Stupidity all around.
If black people aren't required to wear masks and you see a black man wearing a mask why wouldn't you be more suspicious rather than less?
That’s a valid point. I guess the crazy people who came up with this are convinced that black people in masks are in trouble no matter what the law or scenario is, so they have the option to look scary and be safe from the virus or look less suspicious and expose themselves to the virus. They get to pick their poison. ::)

Edit: typos only
Simonjester wrote: the only logical solution to having a law that allows black people to not wear masks, and to be exposing themselves to the virus, is to have racially designated drinking fountains, restaurant seating etc. how else are you going to avoid people of other colors from contracting it?

::)
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:42 am

I think the exemption applies to all non-whites.
Right down to Liz Warren!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:10 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
Petition asks Trader Joe's to change its 'racist' food packaging

@Cortopassi: You are Italian, your wife is Chinese. Were you guys ever offended by the logo Trader Giotto or Trader Ming? I know that my Chinese daughter in law is not.
oh dear lord 🙄
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 am

Hilarious.

Next thing you know, labeling restaurants as "Italian" or "Chinese" or "Thai" is going to be considered racist. Regional cuisines will no longer be allowed to exist then, I guess. Wonder how that will go over among the soul food restaurants in Harlem.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:11 am

MangoMan wrote:

@Cortopassi: You are Italian, your wife is Chinese. Were you guys ever offended by the logo Trader Giotto or Trader Ming? I know that my Chinese daughter in law is not.
Was there ever a slave trader named Joe? If so, they will have to change their company name!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:16 am

sophie wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 am
Hilarious.

Next thing you know, labeling restaurants as "Italian" or "Chinese" or "Thai" is going to be considered racist. Regional cuisines will no longer be allowed to exist then, I guess. Wonder how that will go over among the soul food restaurants in Harlem.
I remember restaurants shut down because the owner was the wrong ethnicity. Two white women set up Mexican place after studying their asses off and yes, maybe they were a little flippant when joking about peeking through the windows of housewives to gain recipes. Still, imagine going through all the work to set up a restaurant and then closing because of the charge of cultural appropriation.

These same people, the pitchfork and torch mob, don’t mind a Chinese-run Korean restaurant, perhaps because at least it’s Asians who are vaguely people of color. Close enough. That’s not racist at all. O0

The charge of “exoticism” in the Joe’s article above is particularly ridiculous. Since when is it a crime to find exotic cultures exotic, and why is that mutually exclusive from respecting those cultures?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am

MangoMan wrote:

We are not, but I see where you are going.

If you guys aren’t or haven’t watched the Trump Wallace interview, I am now, I see a sweaty guy who still cannot say anything unifying.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:38 am

I've been to plenty of ethnic restaurants of all kinds in NYC at which the servers and line cooks are mostly Hispanic. Nobody cares as long as the food is good - at least until now. And, does that mean that a Thai restaurant can't employ a black server?

All of which goes to show that the leftist narrative is inherently contradictory and illogical. There was a really strange article in today's WSJ which unfortunately didn't allow comments, or I'd have written one for sure. It stated a long list of studies demonstrating that working from home is more efficient than working from the office (productivity goes up), then stated several pieces of evidence that people prefer working from home, and then concluded that most workers are really really wanting to go back to working at the office. HUH?????

https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2020/07/12/re ... pos6&dsk=y
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:59 am

What I'd give to have some of our "emeritus" members back on the forum to defend this sort of shit.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 am

sophie wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:38 am
I've been to plenty of ethnic restaurants of all kinds in NYC at which the servers and line cooks are mostly Hispanic. Nobody cares as long as the food is good - at least until now. And, does that mean that a Thai restaurant can't employ a black server?

All of which goes to show that the leftist narrative is inherently contradictory and illogical. There was a really strange article in today's WSJ which unfortunately didn't allow comments, or I'd have written one for sure. It stated a long list of studies demonstrating that working from home is more efficient than working from the office (productivity goes up), then stated several pieces of evidence that people prefer working from home, and then concluded that most workers are really really wanting to go back to working at the office. HUH?????

https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2020/07/12/re ... pos6&dsk=y
Use the Dissenter browser (https://dissenter.com/) and you can comment on anything on the Web.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:28 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 am
Use the Dissenter browser (https://dissenter.com/) and you can comment on anything on the Web.
Where is the comments DB stored/who controls it? Cool idea, but it seems that person(s) has a lot of power to shape the conversation?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:45 am

drumminj wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:28 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:12 am
Where is the comments DB stored/who controls it? Cool idea, but it seems that person(s) has a lot of power to shape the conversation?
It was developed by the same people who created Gab. Here are some reviews: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/disse ... er/reviews
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am

Re, the topic name: if the left is eating itself, Trump has swallowed the republican party whole.

I enjoyed the interview. Pretty sure Biden now has enough material to make any number of campaign commercials with it. There are just too many golden nuggets to count.

But, yep, CNN, Cillizza, another communist propagandist, like Chris Wallace, finds 55 nuggets! Go ahead, refute any/all of this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics ... index.html
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm

This prompts me to wonder: Why do we on this board, a microcosm of the US, see the same facts/situation and come to such different conclusions? We seem to be smart, we seem to be relatively respectful of each other (not quite like the bigger country), and we seem to want what will be best for our children/grandkids/friends. What the hell is the primary issue? I am bumfuzzled!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:24 pm

This podcast might make you feel better. This guy is arguing that Democrats are driving away voters with their extreme positions, and many center-left voters will be pulling the lever for Trump even though they would have preferred a centrist Democratic candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADgDe7MmY
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm

A good Tom Woods podcast recently discussed the problems with Abe Lincoln. The historian being interviewed said that the states prior to the Civil War made up a republic. Whereas the states after the civil war are a "union" essentially in the same sense as the Soviet Union was a union, i.e. under coercion. The media are just Pravda spouting the party line to keep the fiction of a republic and the reality of this new "union" going.

He also debunked the starry eyed view that the Civil War was due to the north wanting to free the slaves. It sounds like it was fought mainly over economic issues, which is much more believable to me, as that seems the primary motivation to war.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm
This prompts me to wonder: Why do we on this board, a microcosm of the US, see the same facts/situation and come to such different conclusions? We seem to be smart, we seem to be relatively respectful of each other (not quite like the bigger country), and we seem to want what will be best for our children/grandkids/friends. What the hell is the primary issue? I am bumfuzzled!
I've oftentimes wondered the same.

And, one of the points I put here from someone who had been on C-Span explained it all to me.

Only 40% of information is what we actually see / hear / read. The balance is what we expect.

Therefore, though you and I (and everyone else here)may experience the same precise piece of information how we actually perceive it is heavily colored by our own worldviews and biases.

The person made the example of fans at a basketball game seeing the exact same ref's call but then having complete opposite reactions to the ref's call.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."