Dr. Fauci today!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dr. Fauci today!

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am

C-Span 2 will be having Dr. Fauci speaking to the Chamber of Commerce this morning at 11 AM!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dr. Fauci today!

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am
C-Span 2 will be having Dr. Fauci speaking to the Chamber of Commerce this morning at 11 AM!

Vinny
On NOW! And, answering questions from callers!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:50 am

This guy says that Fauci is lying and appears to me to make some good points:

https://www.unz.com/mwhitney/looks-like ... after-all/

Personally I don't know who to believe any longer. Maybe Fauci is right. Maybe he is wrong and lying, or wrong and not lying but just very cautious. Although to be so cautious on health, when there is countervailing evidence say from the cruise ship situation, and not to look at the entire situation as a whole including economic factors that also impact health, seems perhaps recklessly over-cautious.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:44 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:50 am
Personally I don't know who to believe any longer. Maybe Fauci is right. Maybe he is wrong and lying, or wrong and not lying but just very cautious. Although to be so cautious on health, when there is countervailing evidence say from the cruise ship situation, and not to look at the entire situation as a whole including economic factors that also impact health, seems perhaps recklessly over-cautious.
Agreed.

Best-case: Fauci has some severe blind spots and isn't considering the big picture.
Worst-case: Fauci has an agenda and is twisting the truth to advance it.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:50 pm

No one is willing to step outside of their mindset and look at the big picture. It's heartening to know that herd immunity requires only 20%. In NYC we hit that number a LONG time ago, which likely means the ongoing lockdowns, mask-wearing etc are all pointless. The case rate per capital has been miniscule for months. We're in far more danger from car accidents and crime.

What other states are going through is what we went through back in March, just less severe since nursing homes are better protected and population density is lower. They'll get through it....my guess is another week or two at most before they hit peak, if they haven't peaked already.

Here's a very interesting book by Thomas Sowell that examines the mindset at work here. Definitely recommended! But, get it quick before it's banned. The Kindle version is already off limits because the book is "under review". I'm sure it is. Which should tell you just how important it is that you all read this.

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Anointed- ... 8&qid=&sr=
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:05 pm

So Amazon has decided to jump on the censorship bandwagon too, huh?

I wonder why the "Item Under Review" notification only shows up for the Kindle version and not the hardback or paperback versions. They all have the same content, don't they?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:12 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:50 pm
No one is willing to step outside of their mindset and look at the big picture. It's heartening to know that herd immunity requires only 20%. In NYC we hit that number a LONG time ago, which likely means the ongoing lockdowns, mask-wearing etc are all pointless. The case rate per capital has been miniscule for months. We're in far more danger from car accidents and crime.

What other states are going through is what we went through back in March, just less severe since nursing homes are better protected and population density is lower. They'll get through it....my guess is another week or two at most before they hit peak, if they haven't peaked already.

Here's a very interesting book by Thomas Sowell that examines the mindset at work here. Definitely recommended! But, get it quick before it's banned. The Kindle version is already off limits because the book is "under review". I'm sure it is. Which should tell you just how important it is that you all read this.

Could you do a one paragraph tl;dr of the book?
I second WiseOne's recommendation. Also anything else written by Thomas Sowell. I doubt that his books will be banned if for no other reason than he is black so he matters. On the other hand he's strongly anti-Marxist so you never know.

I'm sure you can get the tl:dr from the reviews. I'd give it to you myself but I read it a long time ago.

My favorite Thomas Sowell quote:

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:01 pm

WiseOne wrote:

What explains the pricing on the used versions of the book?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 pm

I saw one of these while out walking today.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/786817254/ ... ome-prayer O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 pm

WiseOne wrote:
the ongoing lockdowns, mask-wearing etc are all pointless. The case rate per capital has been miniscule for months. We're in far more danger from car accidents and crime.
My confirmation bias right now:

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:37 pm

I don't know if it was the same thing but I saw some clips of Fauci being interviewed by Mark Zuckerburg.

A question I would pose to Fauci is did the science of wearing face masks actually change between the time when he was saying they should not be worn and when he now says it is imperative? I think his answer is no but it was necessary to say they should not be worn in the beginning due to potential shortages. So then my follow up question would be don't you think we are justified in being skeptical when you use the word "science"?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:14 pm

WiseOne wrote:

Can you explain the 20% to achieve herd immunity? I have always seen 60 to 70 percent minimum.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm

There's been recent articles reporting studies of the level needed for herd immunity. It depends on how easily a virus is transmitted. For measles, you need over 90%. Apparently the number for COVID that has emerged from modeling studies is 20%.

I haven't read the original articles, but it might be that the definition of "herd immunity" might be a little confusing. It's not a guarantee than a given individual won't get sick, it's about preventing large outbreaks. NYC is in great shape now, and coincidentally there was a > 20% rate of positive antibody testing during random testing in May. It'll be interesting to see what happens in other states when they get to the 20% mark.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm
modeling studies
^-^ ^-^
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm
modeling studies
^-^ ^-^
Thinking about what you wished you'd majored in in college? O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm

"Modeling studies" sounds ambiguous.

Is he studying models or is he studying to be a model?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am

Computational models that take variables & relationships distilled from clinical/biophysical observations, make predictions, and then test if those predictions are validated in real-world data.

There are crappy papers that forget about that last part, but if carefully done modeling is a highly useful technique in biomedical research because you can explore different potential mechanisms that may be very difficult to untangle from real world data. As you might guess by now, I do this kind of research myself.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:01 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am
Computational models that take variables & relationships distilled from clinical/biophysical observations, make predictions, and then test if those predictions are validated in real-world data.

There are crappy papers that forget about that last part, but if carefully done modeling is a highly useful technique in biomedical research because you can explore different potential mechanisms that may be very difficult to untangle from real world data. As you might guess by now, I do this kind of research myself.
Curious, how much validity do you place in climate change modeling studies?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:04 am

Dr. Fauci is on C-Span right now taking questions from Georgetown students....

Vinny