Poll for Trump Supporters Only

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

If you plan to vote for Trump in November, please select one of the following:

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

I have lied at least once when someone asked me which candidate I support or plan to vote for
54%
I have never lied when someone asked me which candidate I support or plan to vote for
46%

Total votes: 13
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Poll for Trump Supporters Only

Post by Tortoise »

Note that this poll should only be taken by people who plan to vote for Trump in November. Scott Adams took a similar poll among his followers recently, and I think he said a large percentage of them (something like 40%) said they had lied at least once about supporting Trump -- presumably to avoid awkwardness, confrontation, or even potential physical harm.

This may have implications regarding the accuracy of Biden vs. Trump polls.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Poll for Trump Supporters Only

Post by Smith1776 »

Your resident Canadian will be watching this thread with great interest. 8)
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm I never comment on politics unless I am 100% sure the other person has very similar views. I want to keep my friends.
And family! I've lied to my own liberal wife and most of her liberal family, all of my liberal coworkers, and many liberal acquaintances about my support of Trump. My typical lie is that I haven't made up my mind yet, or some half-truth like "I'm not a big fan of either candidate."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Should the poll have a third option:

When asked for whom I will vote, I have avoided the question by say artfully changing the subject.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

stuper1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm Should the poll have a third option:

When asked for whom I will vote, I have avoided the question by say artfully changing the subject.
I would consider that not lying. Both in the technical sense, and also in the sense that most people probably sense that if you duck the question, you plan to vote Trump (which is the truth).
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

stuper1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm Should the poll have a third option:

I don't artfully change the subject, I just straight up refuse to answer the question. Had a volunteer for a local Republican politician stop by a few days ago and ask me who I'd be voting for in that local race and I told him I don't answer questions like that.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I don’t think I have had anyone directly ask me. If someone did, I would probably just laugh and ask ‘why do you want to know, and what are you going to do with my answer if I tell you?’ That usually works better at stopping them in their tracks than me saying ’none of your damn business’. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

I just repeat Stalins quote with a smile ;)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 2.05.41 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 2.05.41 am.png (59.7 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Nice to see that Trump has 11 votes from this forum!

I've definitely lied. I once experienced a rather extraordinary public shaming after saying something deemed to be not sufficiently anti-Trump: I said I thought Hillary Clinton should pay attention to the needs of the segment of the population who are supporting Trump. After that, I've been super careful to only "come out" to people who give off signs of being Trump supporters. So far, that's one close friend, an aunt in Colorado, and (oddly enough) a gay hairstylist in the Village.

How I do it varies with the situation. Sometimes I respond by bitching about Trump's twitter sins. Sometimes I ask a question back e.g. what do you think of <outrageous element of the Democratic platform>. A couple of times I've outright lied, or at least said something like "Duh, what do you think?" and let the person draw their own conclusion.

The real question is: would you lie to a pollster? I absolutely would - because the pollster knows my identity if they managed to call me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

For those of us who are honestly not voting because the question does no apply can the voters give updates of the poll results?

Thanks

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Currently 7 (54%) have lied at least once, and 6 (46%) have never lied.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Hal wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:08 am I just repeat Stalins quote with a smile ;)
That's a good one. I like the one from Civ VI too: "In Democracy, it's your vote that counts. In Feudalism, it's your count that votes."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.