Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Xan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:39 am

I might one day see a poster saying "Strike out cancer!" with a picture of a pitcher throwing a ball. Baseball is America's pastime... I'm American... Now I'm offended because the poster is bigoted against Americans!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 am

First off, for Corto, when people use those words innocuously, like when a black person says "what up my nigger" or a homosexual like Milo calls himself a "dangerous faggot," nobody cares. Well, leftists cared/rioted when Milo doing it, because he is a right winger; nobody cares when black people do it*, but I hope you see what I mean. It's almost always obvious when them's fightin words. Kung Flu is a funny way to refer to coronavirus, it's not being meant to Chinese people. Bottom line, if people get offended when people aren't trying to offend them, they're being too sensitive, to the point of being disingenuous.

Now, Chinkin Pox? That's a good pun too, but for me, it's too mean-spirited to use in a normal conversation

* I was thinking of Dave Chappelle as an example. Reference the immortal Rick James sketch or like... literally anything he's done for innocuous usage. Here's how Dave explains it, from Sticks And Stones:
On network television, they have a department that’s called Standards and Practices. This is the department that tells you what you can and cannot say on television. And if you’re doing your job well, you should never hear from ’em. But if you’re making Chappelle’s Show, you’ll hear from these motherfuckers all the time.

And remember, this was 15 years ago. I made a mistake. I didn’t even know I’d done anything wrong. I had written a sketch… that had the word… “faggot” in it. So I had to go to Standards and Practices. They call me up. I don’t know why they’re calling me, but I like the lady that runs the department. She’s usually really fair and was one of my favorite people I’ve ever worked with. So she sits me down. We have a nice conversation. She tells me, “Oh, the sketches are great.” I go, “Oh, fantastic. Well, then… well, then, why am I here?” She said, “Because, David, there’s no way… that you can ever say the word… “faggot” on our network.

I didn’t know I did anything wrong. I didn’t try to defend myself. I said, “All right. Fuck it, I’ll take it out. Have a good afternoon.” And as I was leaving, it occurred to me. “Hey. Hey, Renée, quick question. It’s just a question. Seriously, I wanna know. Like, wh-why is it… why is it that… that I can say the word “nigger” with impunity… …but I can’t say the word “faggot”?” And she said, “Because, David, you are not gay.” I said, “Well, Renée… I’m not a nigger either.”
Second, I have thought this whole time that Xan was an Asian dude. Wild stuff. Maybe he was playing that level in Half Life (computer game, before anyone [Vinny] asks) when he made his username.... which... also points weakly to Asian. If it was some kind of Starcraft reference it would be a lock. ^-^ <-- AZN smiley. I'll see myself out.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:36 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 am
are you equating the use of the phrase "kung fu" with an ethnic slur?
Yes.

But only when you add in the "flu" for fu. And that you have the president of the US using it.

Let me be clear, IMO, he would not be saying it if he were not specifically targeting China/Chinese. When the virus first came around, did you see what happened to some Chinatowns, and some of the rage directed at Chinese-Americans? Why was that? Because they are physically distinguishable from white people.

Are my wife (2nd generation American, but Chinese) and kids snowflakes for thinking it is derogatory? Could it partly be because it is Trump and they hate him regardless? If Obama said it (I can't imagine he would) would they have been ok with it?

Just as much as I am running in circles trying to convince you guys it is a slur, you all are rationalizing why it isn't.

I feel isolated here. Want to ask again if anyone on this board is Asian and is ok or not with it.

I am probably super sensitive to this because my wife was not initially well received by my family because she wasn't a nice Italian girl.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:26 pm

I think we have a theme song for our board, and a theme TV series. What say you? Seems we are doing quite a bit of "friendly (?) sparring" over 6 (or 7) letters beginning with k and ending with u. ;)

Theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmfudW7rbG0

Theme TV series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ovXfRndHWg_

Now back to twisted knickers .......
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:26 pm
I think we have a theme song for our board, and a theme TV series. What say you? Seems we are doing quite a bit of "friendly (?) sparring" over 6 (or 7) letters beginning with k and ending with u. ;)

Theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmfudW7rbG0

Theme TV series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ovXfRndHWg_

Now back to twisted knickers .......
Thanks for that Mountaineer.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:36 am
Xan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 am
are you equating the use of the phrase "kung fu" with an ethnic slur?
Yes.

But only when you add in the "flu" for fu. And that you have the president of the US using it.

Let me be clear, IMO, he would not be saying it if he were not specifically targeting China/Chinese. When the virus first came around, did you see what happened to some Chinatowns, and some of the rage directed at Chinese-Americans? Why was that? Because they are physically distinguishable from white people.

Are my wife (2nd generation American, but Chinese) and kids snowflakes for thinking it is derogatory? Could it partly be because it is Trump and they hate him regardless? If Obama said it (I can't imagine he would) would they have been ok with it?

Just as much as I am running in circles trying to convince you guys it is a slur, you all are rationalizing why it isn't.

I feel isolated here. Want to ask again if anyone on this board is Asian and is ok or not with it.

I am probably super sensitive to this because my wife was not initially well received by my family because she wasn't a nice Italian girl.
You can't expect us to take you seriously when you have admitted that you don't mind that the Obama administration used it.
Or is Obama Chinese now?
I expected no less, tech. Since we can't ever confirm or deny whether that info made it back to him and he gave it a pass, you win.

But it certainly never came out of his mouth in public. The president's words carry more weight than me having a beer with some buddies saying stupid shit.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm

But it's still completely unimportant, no matter who said it.
Again, please poll any Asian friends you have that were voting for Trump and see if their attitude has changed. I could be wrong, it's not like my wife and daughter were voting Trump anyway.

It would be interesting to see if there are any Asian American specific polls before the virus became and issue and since to see if support has changed or not.
anato

Post by anato » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Not Asian (I'm Italian), but my wife is Chinese. She was pretty upset when Trump first called it "Chinese virus", not because it isn't true (first reported in China), but out of fear that it might lead to bullying or bad behaviour towards Asian people here in the US.
Her reasoning was that Chinese people (at least her generation... it might be different for newer generations which are being riled up on command on government controller social media) aren't educated to fend for themselves: when they are victims of bullying they usually close down in shock and fear instead of getting pissed and punching the guy in the face. So she was afraid older Asian immigrants could unnecessarily suffer from a attitude that made sort-of legit to blame them as a group.

And btw she does agree that it was the crazy declarations of the Chinese govt officials which started the current blamegame on the virus origin, and she was _much more_ pissed with the Chinese govt for that (and so many more things, latest being they're doing now in HK while the rest of the world is all having fun cheering riots) than she was for the "Chinese virus" thing.
Cortopassi wrote:
Man, just bad luck. Us, and at least 3 other couples we're friends with, here and abroad, exactly the same mix: not a problem from any parent in law :)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:06 pm

anato wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Not Asian (I'm Italian), but my wife is Chinese. She was pretty upset when Trump first called it "Chinese virus", not because it isn't true (first reported in China), but out of fear that it might lead to bullying or bad behaviour towards Asian people here in the US.
Her reasoning was that Chinese people (at least her generation... it might be different for newer generations which are being riled up on command on government controller social media) aren't educated to fend for themselves: when they are victims of bullying they usually close down in shock and fear instead of getting pissed and punching the guy in the face. So she was afraid older Asian immigrants could unnecessarily suffer from a attitude that made sort-of legit to blame them as a group.

And btw she does agree that it was the crazy declarations of the Chinese govt officials which started the current blamegame on the virus origin, and she was _much more_ pissed with the Chinese govt for that (and so many more things, latest being they're doing now in HK while the rest of the world is all having fun cheering riots) than she was for the "Chinese virus" thing.
Cortopassi wrote:
Man, just bad luck. Us, and at least 3 other couples we're friends with, here and abroad, exactly the same mix: not a problem from any parent in law :)
Thanks, man. They've grown to love her. It is all a matter of ignorance and lack of knowledge. For the first 50+ years of their lives they basically only interacted with Italian family and friends. Once they found out people are basically the same, all good.

Mom is still not happy I don't go to church though. That will never go away. ;D
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Are my wife (2nd generation American, but Chinese) and kids snowflakes for thinking it is derogatory?
Yes, this should be a fun thing they're "in" on with the rest of us.
Could it partly be because it is Trump and they hate him regardless?
Yes.
If Obama said it (I can't imagine he would) would they have been ok with it?
*shrug*

It's like what I said before, if they don't think people are are being mean to them, they won't feel offended. It's a perception thing. I suspect, if they consume news in 2020, that they've been primed to think people are making fun of them.
I don't want to rationalize, but I don't know how else to get you to understand that this is something we're all in on, and I'm not blaming your wife for being Chinese or.. whatever is happening. That's why I think it's a feel thing. If you feel like you should be offended, you will be. If you're in on the joke, it's just funny.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am

Kung flu is both clever and offensive. There’s no way people aren’t going to say it on the playground, but it seems strange for the President to say it. Strange in a bad way.

Obviously, I’m against white liberals being offended on behalf of non-whites, I hate the idea of POC being uncapable of racism, the left is eating itself, etc. But while I fully support the Pres’ right to say Chinese virus, China virus or Wuhuan virus on the grounds of Spanish flu, Ebola (river) and other geographically named bugs, Kung flu harkens back to the notion of Chinese as weirdly Other, to be ridiculed at best, and at worst-

Well, have you seen the video clips of a guy chasing after an elderly Asian woman saying “C’mere. I’m going to sanitize you.” Imagine that happening to your wife, sister or mother in your home country of England, the U.S., Australia, Canada...

Swiss Americans don’t feel that Otherness, so of course Geneva feva is going to roll right off them.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am

It's a good thing nobody turns on their smart phone and records the conversations when I go out fishing with my friends. We would all be canceled tomorrow.

What most of us really like about Trump is that when the Dems call him the most vile names that can be applied to any human being he doesn't just take it but punches back.

That isn't exactly how that opinion gets expressed however. It's much more vulgar so I won't share it in mixed company but it has to do with a submissive sexual act of a homosexual nature wherein most Republicans only ask how far do you really want to go.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am
It's a good thing nobody turns on their smart phone and records the conversations when I go out fishing with my friends. We would all be canceled tomorrow.

What most of us really like about Trump is that when the Dems call him the most vile names that can be applied to any human being he doesn't just take it but punches back.

That isn't exactly how that opinion gets expressed however. It's much more vulgar so I won't share it in mixed company but it has to do with a submissive sexual act of a homosexual nature wherein most Republicans only ask how far do you really want to go.
How Christian of him. Must be reading the Bible the same way he holds it in his photo ops...upside down. Now I'm about the most unreligious person that exists but when your straight shooting hero pretends that the Bible governs any aspect of his life then the hypocrisy of him holding that book just lights a fire inside me. Now before you start in on liberal this and liberal that, let me beat you to the punch, Schumer and Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic clan are equally as dishonest. Stop defending any of them. Trump is a con man bullshit artist and you are making him out to be the last honest man in Washington....that's what contributes to my TDS...it's like trying remain rational and calm when debating a flat earther...honestly Mark Twain comes to mind with his warning to never get into a debate with an idiot.
Simonjester wrote: i don't know if thinking he is "the last honest man in Washington" is a fair characterization of the trump supporting forum members.. i suspect it is more of a " that obnoxious and yippy terrier has got hold of the curtain and pulled it back" considering the libertarian anarchist lean of the vocal pro trump crowd, i guess they would be the first to yell sell out if he stops before the deep state republicans are fully exposed as well.

the question they may really be asking is, why would any rational follower of politics be yelling "bad dog" when (in "they live") terms your glasses are on and you have already seen... why are you not out of bubblegum ;D
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 pm

doodle wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am

How Christian of him. Must be reading the Bible the same way he holds it in his photo ops...upside down. Now I'm about the most unreligious person that exists but when your straight shooting hero pretends that the Bible governs any aspect of his life then the hypocrisy of him holding that book just lights a fire inside me. Now before you start in on liberal this and liberal that, let me beat you to the punch, Schumer and Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic clan are equally as dishonest. Stop defending any of them. Trump is a con man bullshit artist and you are making him out to be the last honest man in Washington....that's what contributes to my TDS...it's like trying remain rational and calm when debating a flat earther...honestly Mark Twain comes to mind with his warning to never get into a debate with an idiot.
I'm an ex-Christian but I do still respect the Christian point of view.

I think most Christians see Trump as sort of a king David with all of his flaws.

Leaving religion aside I do self-identify as a "deplorable" in the eyes of Dems. It remains to be seen how many of us there still are and whether or not we have any power left to determine the outcome of the election.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 pm

Once again, the problem with "Rational" creatures is that they have the ability to rationalize anything. What makes you think Trump is suited to calling anyone out? He's as corrupt a character as ever walked this Earth. Why all of a sudden is he standing on the hill pointing fingers? Call him out as well! Plenty of deceit and bullshit orchestrated for political gain coming out of him. You think he's above using influence and power to further his own self interests while flaunting the law, please!!!!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:30 pm

doodle wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 pm
Once again, the problem with "Rational" creatures is that they have the ability to rationalize anything. What makes you think Trump is suited to calling anyone out? He's as corrupt a character as ever walked this Earth. Why all of a sudden is he standing on the hill pointing fingers? Call him out as well! Plenty of deceit and bullshit orchestrated for political gain coming out of him. You think he's above using influence and power to further his own self interests while flaunting the law, please!!!!
Well, as Ronald Reagan said "there you go again".

"As corrupt a character that ever walked the Earth"?

Or, as John Stossel used to say - "Gimme a break".
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:02 am

As if 2020 couldn’t get any stranger, Kanye West has announced that he plans to join the presidential race.

Given that Kanye is likely to siphon more votes from Biden than from Trump, his presence in the race might give Trump an even better chance of winning.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am

I received this gem from an acquaintance the other day... I’ve known him for a long time and he’s always been a little bit.... anyway, this comment really takes the cake.

E0C1A701-9DE7-46D6-B3F4-8ECB7129A127.jpeg
E0C1A701-9DE7-46D6-B3F4-8ECB7129A127.jpeg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:07 am

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:02 am
As if 2020 couldn’t get any stranger, Kanye West has announced that he plans to join the presidential race.

Given that Kanye is likely to siphon more votes from Biden than from Trump, his presence in the race might give Trump an even better chance of winning.
"Asked about foreign policy, West said, “I haven’t developed it yet. I’m focused on protecting America, first, with our great military. Let’s focus on ourselves first.”

The presidential hopeful also said he still has work to do on his tax policy.

“I haven’t done enough research on that yet,” West admitted. “I will research that with the strongest experts that serve God and come back with the best solution. And that will be my answer for anything that I haven’t researched. I have the earplug in and I’m going to use that earplug.”"

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:11 am

I tried to register to get a ticket but never received my text so as to enter the code to register. Responded to the email that has all the below. If I can get straight that I DO have a ticket then high possibilities I'm going!

Vinny

Trump Pence Make America Great Again

Hello!

We are excited for you to be joining us at our Make America Great Again Rally in Portsmouth, NH on July 11th, 2020. To ensure a smooth entry into the rally, carefully review the below instructions.

Venue Information:
Air New England
62 Durham St.
Portsmouth, NH 03801

The campaign has arranged parking and shuttle bus services to the event from the below locations. Please note, if you choose to park elsewhere there are many other local parking lots available in the surrounding area. If you would like to participate in our shuttle service please go to one of the below locations:

Location 1:
NH Park & Ride
Grafton Rd.
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Location 2:
Field Next to 80 Rochester Ave.
Newington, NH 03801

Location 3:
200 International Dr.
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Location 4:
320 Corporate Dr.
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Below is a map of the Available Parking Lots. Signage and volunteers will direct you upon arrival.

Shuttle busses will begin running at 8:00AM.

Doors to the rally venue will open at approximately 3:00PM.

Early arrival is strongly encouraged.

Shuttles will transport you back to the parking lots after the conclusion of the rally.

All attendees will receive a temperature screening and will be provided a face mask that they are encouraged to wear but they are not mandatory. Hand sanitizer will be available for all attendees.

All guests attending the event will be screened by United States Secret Service. A prohibited items list is below for you to review before you arrive.

Food and drinks will be available for purchase, and restrooms will be available at the venue. The suggested attire is casual.

We look forward to a successful event and appreciate your continued support as we work to Make America Great Again!

Sincerely,

Team Trump-Pence

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

• Aerosols
• Alcoholic beverages
• Backpacks, bags, roller bags, suitcases bags exceeding size restrictions (12”x14”x5”)
• Balloons
• Balls
• Banners, signs, placards
• Chairs
• Coolers
• Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
• Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
• Glass, thermal and metal containers
• Laser lights and laser pointers
• Mace and/or pepper spray
• Noisemakers, such as air horns, whistles, drums, bullhorns, etc.
• Packages
• Poles, sticks and selfie sticks
• Spray containers
• Structures
• Supports for signs/placards
• Tripods
• Umbrellas
• Appliances (i.e. Toasters)
• And any other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Ah, the death knell.

Last week, the president told Fox News Dr Fauci was "a nice man but he's made a lot of mistakes"

Soon, Fauci will be a low IQ individual and in retirement.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Ah, the death knell.

Last week, the president told Fox News Dr Fauci was "a nice man but he's made a lot of mistakes"

Soon, Fauci will be a low IQ individual and in retirement.
The cat's on the roof...
:)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:28 pm

I think Fauci's biggest mistake has been in his failing to adapt his recommendations to new data as it has emerged. It became clear fairly early in the pandemic that Covid-19 is mostly a nursing home disease. Yet instead of course-correcting to focus on protecting the elderly and immunocompromised and recommending that most other people return to some semblance of normalcy, he doubled down on the idea that Covid-19 is a big risk for everyone.

Even as recently as last week, Fauci was making public recommendations that Americans should be "alarmed" at the recent spike in cases. Yet most of the new cases are in people under 30 years old, who have a vanishingly small risk of severe sickness or death from Covid-19.

In other words, Fauci has been failing to seriously consider what the data clearly tells us about Covid-19 risk for different age groups. His insistence on implying that all Americans are equally at risk has resulted in overkill one-size-fits-all approaches to risk mitigation all across the nation.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Tortoise, you gotta remember that when it comes to COVID19, any nonzero risk has been redefined as intolerable.

I'm in substantially more danger venturing out onto the streets of the newly high-crime city I now live in. But of course I'm not supposed to be concerned about that.