Book club on anarcho-capitalism

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Book club on anarcho-capitalism

Post by Libertarian666 »

In the last month, the political climate has changed so much that it is now extremely relevant to think about what society might be like without police. As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm quite well acquainted with this topic but until now it has been very theoretical. Now it is in the news, so I think it's wise for every thinking person to get familiar with this possibility.

I'll start with a theoretical exposition of law, police, and courts in anarcho-capitalism:
Chapter 12 of For a New Liberty by Murray Rothbard.

After that, to flesh out the possibilities, we should discuss fictional depictions of what such a society might look like:
1. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.
2. The "North American Confederacy" series by L. Neil Smith, starting with The Probability Broach.
3. Voyage from Yesteryear by James P. Hogan.
4. Alongside Night by J. Neil Schulman.

I think that's plenty to get us started if anyone is interested.

Any takers?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book club on anarcho-capitalism

Post by Mountaineer »

Mad Max everywhere is my perspective. But I haven’t read the referenced books. :o
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mountaineer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am Mad Max everywhere is my perspective. But I haven’t read the referenced books. :o
I'm sure you know this, but "Mad Max" is not very realistic; its intent was cinematic drama. The books I recommend represent considerable thought as to what might logically happen in the circumstances they portray.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:37 am
Mountaineer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am Mad Max everywhere is my perspective. But I haven’t read the referenced books. :o
I'm sure you know this, but "Mad Max" is not very realistic; its intent was cinematic drama. The books I recommend represent considerable thought as to what might logically happen in the circumstances they portray.
Did anyone else besides me ever wonder in that movie (and similar ones) where they obtained their gasoline? Or, was that one of those suspensions of logic we accept for certain movies?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:01 pm
Did anyone else besides me ever wonder in that movie (and similar ones) where they obtained their gasoline? Or, was that one of those suspensions of logic we accept for certain movies?

Vinny
The latter.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress years ago, but never connected it with anarcho-capitalism. I'll have to give that a re-read. Thanks for the list!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I've seen The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress mentioned so much I'm gonna have to read it. Starship Troopers was so good; I'm expecting great things.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Related, Starship Troopers has 4 entries, vs 13 for TMIAHM, on the SF inventions page.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Vinny
The latter.
First two films were more logical then it went downhill.
Always liked the subtle placing of the sign post to Anakie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRd5Kcl2GU
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:33 pm I read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress years ago, but never connected it with anarcho-capitalism. I'll have to give that a re-read. Thanks for the list!
I've reread it several times but not in the last couple of years, so it's time for me to do that too.
As soon as I get done with my corporate taxes. >:(
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm Related, Starship Troopers has 4 entries, vs 13 for TMIAHM, on the SF inventions page.
Yeah, but almost half of the inventions credited to MIAHM are actually the same invention: AI.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:57 pm I've seen The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress mentioned so much I'm gonna have to read it.
Far and away my favorite Heinlein book.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Vinny
I always assumed (without too much thought) that the fuels were synthetics derived from coal or wood - like the Germans made during WWII. Today we would just make biodiesel from animal fat. Or alcohols from fermentation and distillation. Or methane from composting. Or hydrogen from electrolysis...

Hydrocarbons are readily available with a minor amount of chemistry.