Administrator

Re: Dawg Pound

Post by Xan »

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:03 pm Two Pet Cats Have Tested Positive for Coronavirus and We Don’t Like This One Bit

https://www.themarysue.com/coronavirus-kitties-oh-no/
Yet another reason to have dogs instead. O0
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

MangoMan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am
Hal wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:38 pm Pugs to the rescue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/scie ... p-dog.html
You don't get pugs to save you when you fall down the well, you get them to gaze upon lovingly as they lay across your lap. Regardless, my new one barks like a maniac at any human or canine that dares to cross the path (public sidewalk) in front of my house in an effort to protect me from foul play. 8)
You've got the best of all worlds! The Pug came to the rescue in the video, plus you have a watchdog and those big eyes :D
Attachments
Even Lassie has limits.jpg
Even Lassie has limits.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

haha, awesome!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I always thought the dog breed name “pug” came from the root word pugnacious, meaning inclined to fight. ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Since this is the dog area (and NOT the cat area) I'll ask this question regarding dogs.

Are you a proponent of neutering dogs?

And, a BONUS question.

Do you favor pure bred or mongrel dogs?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:23 pm I always thought the dog breed name “pug” came from the root word pugnacious, meaning inclined to fight. ;D
hah!
Found this:
pug. n. 1560s, general term of endearment (also puggy), probably related to puck (n.2); one of the earliest senses is "sprite, imp" (1610s). The sense of "miniature dog" is from 1749 (pug-dog); that of "monkey" is 1660s. The word at various times meant "a bargeman" (1590s), "a harlot" (c. 1600), and "an upper servant in a great house" (1847).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:23 pm Since this is the dog area (and NOT the cat area) I'll ask this question regarding dogs.

And, a BONUS question.

Vinny
1. All dogs should be spayed or neutered unless you are breeding them.
2. As I am partial to pugs, and you can not dilute perfection, this isn't a fair question. I have nothing inherently against mutts, in fact my other dog is a mutt.
1. What is your rationale for this answer?
2. Aren't "breeds" similar to human cousins or siblings marrying one another?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:16 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:57 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:23 pm Since this is the dog area (and NOT the cat area) I'll ask this question regarding dogs.

And, a BONUS question.

Vinny
1. All dogs should be spayed or neutered unless you are breeding them.
2. As I am partial to pugs, and you can not dilute perfection, this isn't a fair question. I have nothing inherently against mutts, in fact my other dog is a mutt.
1. What is your rationale for this answer?
2. Aren't "breeds" similar to human cousins or siblings marrying one another?

Vinny
1. Because dogs can not be trusted to use birth control, and dogs can not take care of themselves properly without human intervention.
2. No idea. Probably more like 2 humans who both have blue eyes and blonde hair having kids.
1. Then you are agreeing it actually a "people" problem and not a "dog" problem. If all human owners acted responsibility then the dogs would not have to be neutered. And, are you aware of all the increased medical problems that occur in dogs due to neutering?

2. Exact same issues - inbreeding leads to increased probabilities of negative effects.

https://eccentricscientist.wordpress.co ... ur-sister/

"Take for example a hypothetical disease characterised by a genetic fault on gene d. Humans have two copies of each (non-X/Y sex) chromosome, and thus each gene. Most people in a population (say 99%) will have two copies of the healthy D gene (DD). One percent, however, will carry one copy of the diseased gene (Dd).

The disease is recessive. That is, people are healthy unless they have two copies of the diseased gene (dd).

If your mother carries one copy of the gene (Dd), you have a 50% chance of inheriting it. So does your sibling. If you marry a random person in the population (who has a 1% chance of carrying the disease), the probability of you both carrying the defective gene is 50/100 * 1/100 or 0.5%.

If you were to marry your sibling, the probability would jump to 50/100 * 50/100 or 25%.

Even if you both carry the gene, there is only a 25% chance that any child you had would be dd, that is will have not just the gene, but the disease. (This is an over-simplified explanation – often diseases have more than one gene, for example, but it gives an idea of the concepts).

So the likelihood of children being affected is still very small even if you do marry a relative, yet if you multiply the probabilities by the number of potential genetic diseases, they start to look a little more worrying. Research has shown that for consanguineous partnerings, the prevalence of genetic disorders may be up to twice as high as those from unrelated marriages."

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 pm 1. No, it is not a people problem. Feral dogs do not generally do as well as domesticated dogs that receive proper nutrition, veterinary care and love. Thousands of dogs are euthanized every year because of unchecked breeding. This is sad, unnecessary and totally preventable if dogs are spayed and neutered. I am not aware of any ill effects of neutering; do you have a link? According to my vet, female dogs are way healthier if spayed bc it reduces the likelihood of reproductive cancers. Male dogs also are less likely to exhibit marking behavior if neutered.

2. There is no question that purebreds are more prone to genetic problems caused by the in-breeding. Does that make it wrong? Maybe. I don't have a problem with it if it is done properly (i.e., I am anti puppy mills), but each dog owner can decide that for themselves. There are way too many moral dilemmas.
Both are well covered in the book I mentioned to you.

Vinny
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

vnatale wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:50 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 pm 1. No, it is not a people problem. Feral dogs do not generally do as well as domesticated dogs that receive proper nutrition, veterinary care and love. Thousands of dogs are euthanized every year because of unchecked breeding. This is sad, unnecessary and totally preventable if dogs are spayed and neutered. I am not aware of any ill effects of neutering; do you have a link? According to my vet, female dogs are way healthier if spayed bc it reduces the likelihood of reproductive cancers. Male dogs also are less likely to exhibit marking behavior if neutered.

2. There is no question that purebreds are more prone to genetic problems caused by the in-breeding. Does that make it wrong? Maybe. I don't have a problem with it if it is done properly (i.e., I am anti puppy mills), but each dog owner can decide that for themselves. There are way too many moral dilemmas.
Both are well covered in the book I mentioned to you.

Vinny
From first hand experience, the dogs that we had spayed due to infection had personality changes. All became permanently much more lethargic.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog ... r-neutered
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Petnet woes
via Harry Shearer
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ronavirus/

This dog’s eyes O0
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Nice history on a dogs life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qScVu1UcdMA
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

B2D2A296-A50F-4A0E-AB3C-2F3E66896062.jpeg
B2D2A296-A50F-4A0E-AB3C-2F3E66896062.jpeg (257.58 KiB) Viewed 9726 times
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Caption: Hurry up and set the table so I can eat :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 am B2D2A296-A50F-4A0E-AB3C-2F3E66896062.jpeg
wow that’s a red yolk. Is that a duck egg or something?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just love shibas!

I'm not sure about the egg. This picture is from the Instagram of a shiba that I follow. Apparently chicken eggs can be red like that if you feed the hen a specific diet.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

For those of you that give dogs a bath outside
Have you tried using a Hose end Sprayer.
It works on other animals also just have the shampoo in the bottom and it will spray out soapy foam.
Attachments
US-Ortho-Dial-N-Spray-Hose-End-Sprayer-0841010-Main-Xlg.png
US-Ortho-Dial-N-Spray-Hose-End-Sprayer-0841010-Main-Xlg.png (86.81 KiB) Viewed 10028 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

How many here believe that ALL dogs have descended from wolves?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:00 pm How many here believe that ALL dogs have descended from wolves?

Vinny
What are you talking about, Vinny? This isn't catechism.
All dogs descended from wolves.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Coyotes, Jackals and Wolves probably have a common ancestor. I.e. none descended from the other.
Most domestic dogs, canis familiaris, are descendent from wolves, canis lupus.

But in the Middle East, plenty of yard dogs are mostly jackal. And where I grew up in the American Southwest, many a neighborhood dog had a share of coyote in it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Honorary wolves. O0 Same genus.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

dualstow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm Honorary wolves. O0 Same genus.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.39.45 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.39.45 pm.png (460.31 KiB) Viewed 10019 times