Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sun May 17, 2020 7:20 am

I decided the following appropriately fits in this topic since almost all the events described are due to these times we are now presently living in...

Vinny's Grand Adventure!

Yesterday had been the 8 week / 4 day anniversary of several things. Two main things were being off my property / going somewhere in my car AND bringing in any outside food into my house.

Because I am generally so precise and accurate and methodical in the way in which I do things, especially my work, some people make the false assumption that I also live this totally planned out life. That's far from the reality as, particularly when it comes to personal matters, what I do can be decided quite whimsically or impulsively. There's been many times at the end of a day when I've said to myself, "When I woke up this morning I had no idea this is how I would have spending this day!"

Yesterday morning my "plans" said I was going to go a few miles from my house to buy vegetable plants to plant in my garden later in the day.

Then I thought, well, you could also go a few miles in the other direction and bring to the dump all those cans to recycle that are in the garage.

Then I thought if you are out in that direction why not go a few more miles and buy food at Stop & Shop.

Then I thought why not also go a few more miles to go to Home Depot to get that wheel barrow you'd wanted, particularly since it'd come in to good use in moving dirt and mulch around.

Then I thought why not also go to Big Y since it's right across the street from Home Depot to buy foods and I had no idea how much of what I'd want to get would be available at Stop & Shop.

And, THEN, after all of that was accomplished I'd buy those vegetable plants to plant.

I'm guessing I might have set out around 9:30 AM or so to go to the dump. However, as I soon as I got out of my driveway and on to my street, I realized I STILL had on my studded snow tires to which no air had been added to them since they were put on last November, 7 months ago! Next time I have plans to leave my property I'm going to need to make an appointment to get those off!

Just before I pulled into the dump area I put on my bandana which I did not like with all the hot air I was feeling underneath it. But getting rid of the paper and all the cans went quickly. There was no one else there.

On my way to heading to Home Depot I thought I should stop at my office. At our Friday staff meeting we'd all been informed that we all been given masks to wear for when we are in the office. I thought that, hopefully, wearing the mask would be a better experience than the bandana.

This was another first time in 8 weeks / 4 days experience - being in my office. I looked around my office and saw a lot of things I could take out of my office and bring home, e.g., a cat litter box. I decided that now that my former kittens are adults I will no longer be bringing them to my office.

I put the key to the building / offices down on my table. I'd also had my car key in hooded sweatshirt. Soon after I'd got to my office I'd taken off my eyeglasses and put them on my table.

I went to someone else's office to get papers that I should have at home.

I went back to my office to continue to gather things to bring home. I noticed that key was no longer on the table nor in any of my pockets. I looked some without success in finding it but decided to look for it again once I was done in my office. My office computer is to be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so I was also concentrating on disconnecting everything attached to it. I was starting to get warm from all this physical activity and took off my sweatshirt.

I'd finally finished with bringing all from my office and putting it in the vestibule, on its way to getting it all my car.

Time to look for that key. Nowhere to be found!

Could I have left it on the desk of my coworker when I got those papers? Not out of the question given I had to use that key to get into that office and could have put the key down while going through the papers.

If that was the case I'd made sure that office door was locked and how was I going to get in? I exited my office to see if somehow I'd left that door open and next thing I know I'm hearing my office door close behind me! I check that other office door and it IS locked. And, when my door closed (somehow) it was also locked!

Now I cannot get at my eyeglasses or my car key! And, don't have a building / offices key!

I said go to your car and use your phone to call someone to come to the building who can get you back into your office.

In my semi-panic I'm not thinking all through and I exit the building. As soon as I hear the building door shut, I tell myself, "You just locked yourself out of the building!"

I go to my car, thinking I'd not locked it, but it WAS locked!

Here I am in the parking lot. No eyeglasses, no phone, no key to building, no key to car!!!!

What can I do? I'm blind. I cannot use my car or a phone. All I have are my legs but even if I can walk somewhere to a phone I don't know anyone's phone numbers who can get back into my office! MAYBE I should have just stayed home for yet another day! It's nearly noon and I'me not getting done anything done I'd PLANNED to do!

Right next ot our driveway is a motorcycle place. I've been friendly with one of the owners for over 40 years. Maybe they are open and have one of those things that can break into a car. He WAS there and he was willing to help out and he did have one of those things, though he doubted it'd work on a modern car.

Just as we were walking to my car I felt something around my neck and all of a sudden remembered was wearing the spare car key that was on the stainless steel chain that I always wear around my neck whenever I am off my property. Since I know I DO have a problem with keys I started doing this when I realized I'm in big trouble if I'm somewhere and I get separated from my car key.

I told him of my discovery, thanked him for his willingness to help. and opened my car. Got my phone.

I've just recently started to use my cell phone. Therefore there are few numbers actually stored in it. I was hoping there was a phone number of one of my coworkers in it who could come to the building to rescue me. On my second call I reached a coworker who agreed to come rescue me.

Shortly after the coworker arrived and I was able to get my building / office key which I HAD left on the other coworker's desk. Once I got back my key I was able to get back into my office.

I completed all I needed to do in my office, loaded up my car with things to bring home, and headed to Home Depot.

There was a fair amount of traffic on the road just before Home Depot.

However, while the lot had a fair amount of cars in it there was a lot of empty spaces in between the cars, not the usual. I drove to the front to get a near spot and I saw all these people in line to get in. Not what I wanted to see! I told one of the workers that I'd ordered and paid for a wheel barrow earlier in the day and asked if I could come back another day to pick it up as I did not want to spend 1/2 hour in line to get in. I was told I could but I decided I'd try out the line to see how fast it moved.

I think I got in in less than 10 minutes. Both in that line and inside Home Depot ALL were wearing some form of face coverings and everyone seemingly aware of keeping as much distance as was practical.

I was surprised how big the wheel barrow was as it looked much bigger than it had in the picture. I asked if it was going to fit into my Honda Accord. I was told that I'd get help, which I did.

On our way out I asked him if I was going to have to get back in line to go back in to buy more. The answer was Yes. He successfully got the wheel barrel into the back seat of my car and there was NO line when I went back in!

Next was going to Big Y to shop for food (practically right across the street from Home Depot).

I am NOT an errand person. I generally only go somewhere to buy something if I'm either already near it or its on my way to or from work. And, I certainly try to avoid going to stores on Saturdays. This whole day was far from my norm.

Also, my only food store is based upon where I work. This Big Y had been my food store from 1988 to 2005 as my job during that time had me driving right by it to and from work. But after that job ended and another one started I stopped using that store. Therefore I was yesterday walking into a store in which I did not know where anything was. Generally, when I go to my present store - Stop & Shop - I'm usually in and out in about 25 minutes.

First thing is I see blueberries and strawberries! I LOVE fruit! Had to buy those. And, since the first area I was in was the fruit and vegetable section I spent a lot of time there.

I walked through the entire store looking at the aisle headings to decide if it was one I should head down. The aisles did have the one way arrows. Again, EVERYONE in the store had face coverings.

I left the store about 1:45 PM, having purchased 67 items for a total cost of $206.95. A lot of stocking up on fresh vegetables that will last me several weeks. I was surprised that there was hardly any dish washing detergent available. I did not go in the paper products aisle.

Next destination was Stop & Shop. Here I know where everything is. Left around 2:40 PM with a purchase bill of $237.00. Again a lot of stocking up on depleted items and things I'd not been able to buy at Big Y, like a ton of dish washing detergent. More importantly, 160 pounds of kitty litter.

After seeing everyone wearing face coverings everywhere in all stores I had been in so far that day I was semi-shocked to see one person (older male) in Stop & Shop not wearing anything (even though there was a large sign entering the store stating it was mandatory). But I did not say anything to anyone deciding I'm not on the Face Coverings Police force.

I did go in the paper aisle to buy something else and there was NO toilet paper and limits on buying other paper goods. Two plus months into this, what IS this continuing thing with toilet paper??!!

As I'm leaving the store with an absolutely full cart I'm wondering where it is all going to go in my car! The trunk was full of everything from Big Y. The entire back seat area was dominated with that wheel barrow. All I had left was the passenger seat area. It seemed dubious that it'd all fit in that area. But it did!

Less than 15 minutes later I'm home. I have to at least get all the frozen foods into the freezer. Doing just a partial putting things away, it takes a full 1/2 hour to bring everything from the car to my kitchen, get everything out of the large 15 brown bags, semi-organize all, and get those frozen foods into the freezer area of my refrigerator.

Done by about 3:30 PM. Time to head out to buy those vegetable plants to buy. But first I decided to head over to the farm stand across the street from me to see how much they have available so to influence what I do or do not buy from where I usually buy. Where I usually buy are strictly all organic plants (which is how I garden) while the farm stand across the street did not appear to organic plants.

In the process I actually meet my neighbor for the FIRST time! He and his wife (who I met for first time a few weeks ago on my first vegetable planting expedition of the season) have ONLY been living across the street from me for at least two to three years!

We spend some time talking to one another and then I FINALLY head out to buy those vegetable plants at my usual place.

Since I have a 1,000+ square foot garden area I have room for LOTS of plantings so I buy lots of plants! About $202 worth. 60 total containers, of which 25 have them have six plants each. So a total of 185 plants to plant! On my way home I stop at another place and spend another $20 on vegetable plants to plant. But just as I got out of the car I noticed a puppy tied to a truck. Appeared quite friendly and wanting to see me. Of course that had to be my first priority. I probably spent about 10-15 minutes with this absolutely adorable 7 months ago labrador retriever. That was an unexpected treat to the day!

FINALLY got home around 5:30 PM!

The original "plan" in the morning was to, after having purchased all the plants, had been to plant them yesterday once I got home.

However, after spending 8 hours concerned with all the above, I decided that today would be the day for the plantings. And, I told myself that all the time I spent doing all the preceding yesterday was a PRIME reason why I'd not left my property during all that time. I had not been sufficiently motivated to spend all that time involved in acquiring! I could WELL survive doing without what I was lacking and spending my time in far more pleasurable or productive activities!

At this point, weather.com is telling me that is 55 degrees out. Looking out my windows, it looks like a gloomy day.

However weather.com is also telling me that around 10:00 AM that while it will be "Mostly Cloudy" there will be some sun and it will rise to 60 degrees. Some time between 10:00 and 11:00 AM I "plan" to head out to that garden area and plant ALL of yesterday's acquisitions plus the $44 worth I'd bought two weeks ago at the farm stand across the street from me. That all is going to take many, many, many hours!

But NOT something I've not prior experienced!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am

Has anyone else on here had no income for the last two months due to the COVID-19 shutdowns? I know that MangoMan has had to stay away from his dental practice. My wife's business is our family business and it went to zero on 3/11 with no good news in sight for months to come. Without going into too much detail, she provides an entertainment service in schools, at resorts, etc. We have savings to last for years so it's not about poverty. I am 61, she is 53. It's way too early to just pull the plug on our work lives. Anyway, just venting.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 am

barrett wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am
Has anyone else on here had no income for the last two months due to the COVID-19 shutdowns? I know that MangoMan has had to stay away from his dental practice. My wife's business is our family business and it went to zero on 3/11 with no good news in sight for months to come. Without going into too much detail, she provides an entertainment service in schools, at resorts, etc. We have savings to last for years so it's not about poverty. I am 61, she is 53. It's way too early to just pull the plug on our work lives. Anyway, just venting.
I'm very fortunate in that I have a project to work on that is probably the best work I've done in my life, and I was already retired from working for others well before the plague.

But I know many others are suffering for what I don't believe are very good reasons. I hope the powers-that-be who are continuing with unnecessary restrictions change their approaches ASAP.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am

barrett wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am
Go ahead and vent.

My daughter had no income for over a month. It's a good thing she lives with me because I have no idea what she would have done if she was on her own. She applied for unemployment but so far she has not received a penny from the government, including her stimulus check which is nowhere in sight. I'd tell her to call the IRS but I'm sure she'd be put on hold behind several million other people if she could even get through at all.

My wife's hours were reduced but smaller checks kept on coming.

As for me, the SS checks have arrived on schedule and the $2400 stimulus deposit was made a couple of weeks ago. As for the latter, I really don't understand the reasoning behind it, especially seeing people who really need it getting nothing at all. As for stimulating the economy, what exactly are we supposed to spend it on right now? Ours went directly into savings.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun May 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Vinny, I'm confused...

In another thread, you explained that you hadn't been off your property for 8 weeks, with resulting dietary limitations among other things. Now you're going out and running errands to groceries, Home Depot, dumps etc? What changed your mind?

To those who have experienced lost income - my deepest sympathy for your situation. I'm lucky not to have to deal with that, although I'm fully prepared for the probably inevitable announcement of an across the board pay cut. Stanford University just did this to the tune of 20%. I'm also guessing that NYC property taxes will go up a lot next year...probably ~30%, maybe 50% compared to the usual 10-20%. Fortunately there's been no suggestion so far about increasing income tax rates.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun May 17, 2020 2:13 pm

We just returned from staying in a cabin in Blue Ridge, GA just to get away from things for a while. I can report that rumors of Georgia's grand re-opening are greatly exaggerated because nearly everything was still shut down. We found only one restaurant open for dine-in service the whole time. It was a Longhorn Steakhouse and it really felt good to do something normal again.

One day we drove an hour and a half to the national forest where there was supposed to be a famous swinging bridge you can walk to after driving down a dirt road that is an access point to the Appalachian trail. When we got there, the access rode was roped off and there were signs saying that the trail was closed due to the corona virus. That was just the worse of similar adventures.

When I got back to the cabin I looked up the statistics for the county, guessing it would probably be zero but I was wrong. The number was one.

Although I lack the expertise of an epidemiologist or virologist I feel pretty safe in asserting that the chances of getting attacked by a bear on the Appalachian trail are much greater than contracting the corona virus.

We're home now but my wife and I have both decided that as much as we love travelling we aren't going out again until this temporary insanity is over. We just hope it really is temporary.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun May 17, 2020 3:41 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Vinny, I'm confused...

In another thread, you explained that you hadn't been off your property for 8 weeks, with resulting dietary limitations among other things. Now you're going out and running errands to groceries, Home Depot, dumps etc? What changed your mind?

Part of my binary - all or none - personality.

Prior I had no sufficient motivating reason to get off my property and drive my car. Yesterday I HAD to get off my property to buy all those plants so that they could be planted (planned yesterday but ended up today). Therefore, the switch had now been turned on to get in my car and drive.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm

So you really want to see your friends? Here’s how to assess the risk

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 ... s-the-risk
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 am

Very illuminating article in the Wall Street Journal today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supersprea ... jem10point

For those who have to deal with paywalls, here are a few excerpts:
Some scientists looking for ways to prevent a return to exponential growth in coronavirus infections after lockdowns are lifted are zeroing in on a new approach: focus on avoiding superspreading events.

The theory is that banning mass public events where hundreds of attendees can infect themselves in the space of a few hours, along with other measures such as wearing face masks, might slow the pace of the new coronavirus’s progression to a manageable level even as shops and factories reopen.

Researchers believe that the explosive growth of coronavirus infections that overwhelmed hospitals in some countries was primarily driven by such events earlier this year—horse races in Britain, carnival festivities in the U.S. and Germany or a soccer match in Italy.
[Professor Michael Small, a lecturer in applied mathematics at the University of Western Australia] modeling shows that lockdowns could be replaced by targeted measures with a much smaller economic impact, such as banning mass events, asking a significant number of white-collar workers to work from home and encouraging widespread use of smartphone contact-tracing apps.
Some of the lessons from the research are already being applied. In Germany, choral singing has been banned from religious services and Bundesliga soccer games are taking place without spectators, while churches in Britain are considering a ticket system to avoid crowding.
Austria will allow cultural events, such as concerts with up to 1,000 visitors, under strict security measures starting from August, while clubs and nightlife venues will remain closed, a government spokesman said, after outbreaks in such establishments in South Korea. A study published this week found that banning mass gatherings had the biggest contribution to bringing the epidemic under control in Germany.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm
How do they plan to deal with public transportation in crowded cities? NY subway, London tube, buses, etc?
You saw those intense UV light flashers they are putting on subways in NY, right? Just tell people to close their eyes. ;)

Not really joking though.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Can't speak for London, but NYC is doing several things:

- running buses more frequently so social distancing can be maintained on the bus.
- Increasing Citybike installations.
- Staggering work shifts e.g. instead of everyone starting 8am, stagger start times between 6 and 10 am.
- Limiting on-site employees and continuing mandatory telework

If I need transportation I've been biking, using Uber (drivers are masked) or taking buses. It works. The city should just shut down the subways. They're a de facto homeless encampment and otherwise unusable. I haven't bothered to even try it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/passed-ou ... us-crisis/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm
How do they plan to deal with public transportation in crowded cities? NY subway, London tube, buses, etc?
Cities in Korea, Taiwan, etc. use crowded mass transit without spreading viruses like wildfire. Maybe we should ask them how they do it?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:20 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm
Can't speak for London, but NYC is doing several things:

- running buses more frequently so social distancing can be maintained on the bus.
- Increasing Citybike installations.
- Staggering work shifts e.g. instead of everyone starting 8am, stagger start times between 6 and 10 am.
- Limiting on-site employees and continuing mandatory telework

If I need transportation I've been biking, using Uber (drivers are masked) or taking buses. It works. The city should just shut down the subways. They're a de facto homeless encampment and otherwise unusable. I haven't bothered to even try it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/passed-ou ... us-crisis/
While I can't say I was ever a fan of the subways, they did make it possible, in combination with the LIRR, to live in an only moderately overpriced area of Long Island and commute to work in midtown.

Obviously they have gone seriously downhill (no pun intended) since the mid-90's.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Here in Vancouver, and B.C. largely, we are entering phase 2 of the our economic reopening. Retail shops, hair salons, and many businesses are allowed to reopen. Churches, gyms, and other places with generally large gatherings will be closed for a while longer it looks like.

The other day I put on an old jacket so I could go outside to take a walk. I thought to myself, "Hey this jacket is comfy! Why wasn't I wearing it more often?" Then I remembered. Before the pandemic my arms and shoulders were at a size where wearing the jacket was extremely uncomfortable. Now they've shrunk so that the jacket is comfortable. :-\

At least I have another jacket to wear again.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.43 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 pm

This is the second article I've read about a study making this claim about marijuana. The first was in Israel where they were just talking about treating patients who had the virus. This one seems to be asserting a prophylactic effect.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/05/ne ... f-covid-19

Unfortunately, if you have to buy your medicine in a state where it's illegal you have no idea if you are getting the strain that had this effect in the study. My daughter from Colorado tells me it's clearly marked in the legal stores but for those of us in other states it's just pot.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

+1

The same thing is happening in Minnesota, where more than 80% of patients who die reside in nursing homes. The state government is demanding that hospitals discharge COVD-19 positive patients to these nursing homes, even as hospital beds go empty and the world-famous Mayo Clinic is going broke. At what point do we demand the recall of the architects of this man-made disaster?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm
He (Cuomo) actually has an approval rating around 80% in both NY state and the US. This may change as this all gets blamed on him, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
So most people are woefully ignorant about how awful he is.
I guess the fact that he has been getting a daily tongue bath from the lamestream media would account for that.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am

;D ;D ;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

Maybe it was a secret plot to clear out nursing homes and thus reduce the state's Medicaid expenses?

Here's another reason that I secretly suspect is a big contributor: illegal immigrants and "chain-migration". Just one baby born to an illegal immigrant in the US, and a whole extended family is suddenly eligible to migrate here legally. Many of them come here because they have chronic conditions that are treated here for free, plus they are eligible for SSI, food stamps, subsidized housing etc. In their country of origin, they have to pay for care and there's no reward for being sick. This introduces a selection bias that creates a sicker/more vulnerable population here compared to the original population in the country of origin. Check out this map of COVID cases broken down by zip code:

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/1832440/embed

Notice that the most densely populated and most frequently traveled-through borough (Manhattan), also the trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Park Slope, has the lightest caseload. So do predominantly Asian neighborhoods like Flushing. Make the whole city like these zip codes, and suddenly coronavirus wouldn't be such a big deal here.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm

I have no idea what a "Certian Death" is but it sounds pretty bad.

Another comparison could be made to the troop ships heading for Europe in WW1. This might be a more apt comparison because a lot of those soldiers were carrying the Spanish Flu with them and would die from it before they ever reached the foxholes. Not to mention spreading it all over Europe.

No total lockdowns back then. Obviously war is essential business.
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am

;D ;D ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 24, 2020 8:12 am

pp4me wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm
I have no idea what a "Certian Death" is but it sounds pretty bad.

They are very powerful mints, those Certs.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm

21CB98A2-FF40-4184-A94F-9F0A0FE210FB.jpeg
21CB98A2-FF40-4184-A94F-9F0A0FE210FB.jpeg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.