So I got married! (Not really)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

So I got married! (Not really)

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm

I want to tell you guys about a bizarre dream that happened to me today.

There's this girl that teaches at the acting studio that I go to. We aren't close. I've met her in passing maybe a dozen times in like 2 years. She's always seemed nice, but I've never really given her a second thought after talking. Thanks to my license being suspended and now COVID-19, I haven't seen her in probably 6 months. I want to post a picture for context, but obviously that wouldn't be cool on a public forum. She looks vaguely like Karen Gillan though (actress from Jumanji, Doctor Who), so I guess this will have to do.

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/2 ... gillan.jpg

Anyway, last night I had a vivid dream. You know those dreams you occasionally have that seem to last all night? Those that are incredibly detailed, real, and have a full timeline of their own? Think Inception level detailed.

The dream was that me and this girl got married. We didn't just get married. I fully dreamed out the photoshoot, the ceremony, saying vows, meeting relatives, talking to guests. Everything. We even did the cliche thing of taking the whole wedding party along to visit McDonald's together to eat junk food in our suits/dresses after the ceremony.

It was at McDonald's that I woke up.

Here's the truly crazy thing. After I woke up this morning there was a short time when I was groggy (maybe 20 minutes?) that I was head over heels in love with this random woman. Someone I barely know and have only talked to on a few occasions. Someone I haven't talked to in like half a year. Legit in love. Like, I would jump on a grenade for her. I was crazy in love. Newly married in love. Then I shook it off and suddenly I was back to normal.

I don't know what that was, but it was the most bizarre dream experience I've ever had.
πŸ›ž The All-Terrain Portfolio πŸ›ž
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: So I got married! (Not really)

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue May 12, 2020 10:58 pm

I vaguely recall a vivid (at the time) dream about a girl I knew in high school in my senior year. Then I joined the Navy and never thought of her again until many years later when in a passing conversation with an old friend he mentioned her name. I asked what became of her and he said she had come out as a lesbian. Then I forgot about her again, until I read this post probably twenty years on from the last time. I am thinking that given my age, and the frequency with which she comes to mind, there is a good chance I will die without her name ever entering my mind again. Strange the things that jar one's memory.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue May 12, 2020 11:58 pm

It sounds to me like two quantum timelines crossed in your dream state. Maybe you really did live out both lives simultaneously, only to snap into one reality when someone observed you in the simulation. Just think of it as Schrodinger's girlfriend. :o
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 13, 2020 5:39 am

Tyler wrote: ↑
Tue May 12, 2020 11:58 pm
It sounds to me like two quantum timelines crossed in your dream state. Maybe you really did live out both lives simultaneously, only to snap into one reality when someone observed you in the simulation. Just think of it as Schrodinger's girlfriend. :o
Well, Smith1776 does like cats. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:39 pm

It was seriously the weirdest dream-related thing that's ever happened to me. Later on I moseyed on over to her facebook profile, bemused. I just sat there and went "what the f#@k?"

Thankfully last night I just had my regular dreams of swimming in a big vault filled with gold bullion -- Scrooge McDuck style.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Gonna ask her out? :)

Gold swimming - yes!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Dieter wrote: ↑
Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Gold swimming - yes!
She's unfortunately married in real life. ::)

I wish this whole incident was something I could tell her about so we could laugh about it. But I'm 99% sure she would take it the wrong way and just think I was some kind of creeper. Heck, if the roles were reversed I probably would.

Whomever I do marry must be okay with bullion ownership! ;D
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 pm

I've already told my wife that if Karen Gillan asked me to marry her, I would. She was also in Doctor Who for a few seasons.

;D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Cortopassi wrote: ↑
Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 pm
I've already told my wife that if Karen Gillan asked me to marry her, I would. She was also in Doctor Who for a few seasons.

;D
She seems to be one of those women that keeps getting hotter by the year. :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 5:00 pm

When I was younger, I used to really pay attention to my dreams, keeping a journal of them and everything. The more you pay attention, the more you remember. I was aiming for lucid dreams. Aside from the flying, I decided one day that I didn’t want to remember them. O0
I love it.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Smith1776 wrote: ↑
Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 pm
Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Gold swimming - yes!
She's unfortunately married in real life. ::)

I wish this whole incident was something I could tell her about so we could laugh about it. But I'm 99% sure she would take it the wrong way and just think I was some kind of creeper. Heck, if the roles were reversed I probably would.

Whomever I do marry must be okay with bullion ownership! ;D
If the 25% of your portfolio in gold is enough to worry her, she will probably think you have enough money overall.

Assuming she knows enough to know that Gold ownership isn't "normal"!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 pm

If the 25% of your portfolio in gold is enough to worry her, she will probably think you have enough money overall.

It's funny. Ever since I adopted the PP, my gold holdings are "the conversation" I've had to have with any particular girl I've been dating at the moment.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Wed May 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 pm

It's funny. Ever since I adopted the PP, my gold holdings are "the conversation" I've had to have with any particular girl I've been dating at the moment.
Have any of them, er, dug it?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Honestly, the timeline I dreamed seemed slightly preferable to the one I'm currently experiencing.

You know photography with really bright exposure? Like in cheesy stock photos? My whole dream was that. A more atmospheric and photoshopped version of real life.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Xan wrote: ↑
Wed May 13, 2020 7:15 pm

At best I've gotten a response that was a mix of curiosity and fascination. At worst I've gotten "What the hell?" O0
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:50 pm

Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

At best I've gotten a response that was a mix of curiosity and fascination. At worst I've gotten "What the hell?" O0
But all investment literate?

Nice.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

I was making an oblique reference to them being gold diggers.

How far into a relationship are you before you start talking about investment portfolios? It sounds like this has happened many times?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 pm

I was making an oblique reference to them being gold diggers.

How far into a relationship are you before you start talking about investment portfolios? It sounds like this has happened many times?
Investing is one of my favourite topics to think and talk about, so it actually comes up pretty early. Not because I think it makes great romantic talk, it usually comes up because the girl asks me about my interests. It's also one of the easier topics in which I can sound halfway smart, so there's that haha.

I do worry about gold diggers though. Not that I'm loaded or anything, but the idea that someone wants to be with me more for financial support than me is a little disconcerting.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Thu May 14, 2020 6:39 pm

A few random thoughts...

- I envy people who remember their dreams, especially so many details. It's rare that I remember anything about what I dreamed about the night before. Is this perhaps a side-effect of me drinking in the evening and having sleep apnea? I'm pretty sure my inability to remember my dreams pre-dates those things, though.

- That said, I do *sometimes* (rarely) remember my dreams, and I vaguely remember an experience similar to what you're describing (many years ago) Smith, where I dreamt about a girl who I otherwise had no interest in, but was briefly infatuated with after having a very emotional dream about her.

- I don't think I know anything about Karen Gillan, but the comments about her reminded me about another actress (Lea Thompson) who hasn't done a lot of roles, I thought was pretty hot in her one big role (Back to the Future), and who aged really well.

- Josh Gad (the voice of Olaf the snowman in the Disney movie Frozen) started up a YouTube series of sorts where he reunites several stars from movies that he loved when he was younger. I believe the first one was for Goonies. The 2nd/most recent one was for Back to the Future. So, you can see Lea Thompson there. I was very disappointed, though, that he didn't get Biff or George McFly. Link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crdYIUdUOhc&t=1s
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 14, 2020 6:43 pm

CT-Scott wrote: ↑
Thu May 14, 2020 6:39 pm
It's rare that I remember anything about what I dreamed about the night before. Is this perhaps a side-effect of me drinking in the evening and having sleep apnea?

I’m not judging because I do it, too, but I think drinking relaxes the throat and possibly blocks a breathing passage.
I hope you’re not trying to sleep on your back.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years