Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:18 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.68 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 am
President Trump 'called Alex Rodriguez for feedback on his administration's coronavirus response' as US soars past 100,000 cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailymailus
Trump said this is fake news.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am

So what is we do with all the Covid graphs and info? Ditto the Trump bashing during the middle of a crisis? Any particular specific actions other than feeding gasoline on our internal fires that try to burn up our realization that it is not we who are in control?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:37 am

"Four counties – Blaine County, Idaho; Summit County, Utah; and Eagle County and Gunnison County, Colorado – lead the nation in per capita rates of confirmed cases outside New York and Louisiana, according to a USA Today analysis.

Though rural, the areas are all affluent, mountain-ringed ski and hiking hamlets that see millions of visitors each year."

It's the new Affluenza. In the Rio favelas they have armed patrols seeking to keep out the "rich people's disease"
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm
"1920: Alcohol is prohibited

2020: Liquor stores are an essential business during a national health crisis"
That's funny, here they're "closed until further notice." I went for a stroll today; walking by a liquor store, I saw a guy stand there and look at that sign for maybe 15 seconds. Poor fella just wants to relax into a nice black out.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm
"1920: Alcohol is prohibited

2020: Liquor stores are an essential business during a national health crisis"
That's funny, here they're "closed until further notice." I went for a stroll today; walking by a liquor store, I saw a guy stand there and look at that sign for maybe 15 seconds. Poor fella just wants to relax into a nice black out.
As I posted a few days ago (with attendant newspaper article)....here they are open and their business is booming.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm extremely fortunate in that I stocked up on tons of booze a couple weeks before everything got shut down. I think it's inhumane to expect people to go through this madness without being at least a little tipsy. People are home all day with their children, for god's sake! People can only be pushed so far when they're sober.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am
So what is we do with all the Covid graphs and info? Ditto the Trump bashing during the middle of a crisis? Any particular specific actions other than feeding gasoline on our internal fires that try to burn up our realization that it is not we who are in control?
The takeaway for me on a concrete, personal level is that if any politician, at any level, of any party, says it's say to go out in the near future and resume normal life in the USA they are out-and-out lying. They are lying to save their career, reputation, power, whatever it is that these malignant narcissists who run our world crave (and there are many, not only Trump). Save yourself, save your family, save your neighbors, stay home. Dig into your beautiful HBPP's if you need to, but stay home until there are widely deployed therapies, a vaccine visibly on the way, and enough doctors, nurses, beds, ventilators, and supplies to care for you if you do get sick. Dear God, it's not about Trump, that's his obsession... it's always about him. And his followers think it's always about him. It's not. He's almost irrelevant.

He had abdicated government. We have to take care of ourselves. This is the reality in America today. The most trusted people are your State and County health departments on the 5:00 PM news every night. The people you know and trust and who are taking on accountability, though the POTUS said he is not accountable. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we should be a less centralized country.

I don't buy this "who could have known crap". I wrote an email to my family in Seattle dated 1/22/2020 saying, "Um, let's wait until we get more clarity on this virus in China before I come visit you". And whom am I? I'm Nobody. On 2/1/2020 in my diary I recorded that I was making portfolio changes because of the virus. And I sold most of my stocks in February (see VP threads). And I started disinfecting the public lab computers I use at Lone Star College back in February. People thought I was nuts. No longer. College is closed, of course.

It's a terrible indictment when a Nobody like me takes visible, concrete actions faster than the POTUS.
Last edited by ochotona on Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:41 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am
The takeaway for me on a concrete, personal level is that if any politician, at any level, of any party, says it's say to go out in the near future and resume normal life in the USA they are out-and-out lying. They are lying to save their career, reputation, power, whatever it is that these malignant narcissists who run our world crave (and there are many, not only Trump). Save yourself, save your family, save your neighbors, stay home. Dig into your beautiful HBPP's if you need to, but stay home until there are widely deployed therapies, a vaccine visibly on the way, and enough doctors, nurses, beds, ventilators, and supplies to care for you if you do get sick. Dear God, it's not about Trump, that's his obsession... it's always about him. And his followers think it's always about him. It's not. He's almost irrelevant.

He had abdicated government. We have to take care of ourselves. This is the reality in America today. The most trusted people are your State and County health departments on the 5:00 PM news every night. The people you know and trust and who are taking on accountability, though the POTUS said he is not accountable. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we should be a less centralized country.

I don't buy this "who could have known crap". I wrote an email to my family in Seattle dated 1/22/2020 saying, "Um, let's wait until we get more clarity on this virus in China before I come visit you". And whom am I? I'm Nobody. On 2/1/2020 in my diary I recorded that I was making portfolio changes because of the virus. And I sold most of my stocks in February (see VP threads). And I started disinfecting the public lab computers I use at Lone Star College back in February. People thought I was nuts. No longer.

It's a terrible indictment when a Nobody like me takes visible, concrete actions faster than the POTUS.
WELL said!!! Thank you!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:03 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 pm
Capture.JPG
Is there an equivalent chart looking at deaths or hospitalizations? Total cases is more of a chart of how much testing is being done.
That is exactly the problem - it's very hard to compare across countries, or even states with different testing policies. We're finding out now the extent of the un-tested, asymptomatic carrier problem:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ve-got-it/
Such undocumented cases are still contagious and the study found them to be the source of most of the virus’s spread in China before the restrictions came in. Even though these people were only 55 per cent as contagious as people with symptoms, the study found that they were the source of 79 per cent of further infections, due to there being more of them, and the higher likelihood that they were out and about.
So given that - would you argue that the lockdown measures are going to be proven to be next to useless for controlling viral spread? That may be, but, would people have simply accepted the message of "you're going to get the virus no matter what, so just keep working and don't worry about it until you get sick"? Kinda doubt it. There would have been social upheaval and economic harm, as well as a raft of conspiracy theories, either way.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Denninger makes a persuasive case for the proposition that the mandated social distancing sought to be achieved by a nearly complete shut-down of the economy has done very little to alter the R0 of this virus. He concludes, based upon the CDC's own statistics and several decades worth of information gleaned from our experience with polio, that the most significant source of transmission, at this point, is health care workers who, though not necessarily infected themselves, are serving as extremely efficient vectors in the community. He asserts that no other conclusion can be reconciled with the math, raising the question why the focus of attention continues to be on measures that are not only largely unavailing but that are virtually certain to devastate the economy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksME4oS ... e=emb_logo
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:45 pm

I think I said May 31 in the "prediction" thread, but it depends....NYC is still scoring 3 to 4 thousand *confirmed* new cases a day. They were trending down but then increased again in the past day - so basically a constant rate of new cases since March 22. New cases have to reduce several fold, maybe down to the tens of patients, before the lockdown is lifted.

Packing people into public spaces like sardines has been a way of life here for a long time, but it's certainly not a good public health situation. Once the lockdown is lifted I have no idea what life here will be like. There is an elevator in the subway station near my workplace that we all call "the tuberculator". We still took it without a second thought...but will people willingly get into it now?
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:46 pm

I do not speak Korean but
What can it Hurt.
face-with-medical-mask_1f637.png
face-with-medical-mask_1f637.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
Leading COVID-19 expert from South Korea, explains why everyone should be wearing a mask.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1243975060307599360
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm

The Missus made us masks!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:45 pm
I think I said May 31 in the "prediction" thread, but it depends....NYC is still scoring 3 to 4 thousand *confirmed* new cases a day. They were trending down but then increased again in the past day - so basically a constant rate of new cases since March 22. New cases have to reduce several fold, maybe down to the tens of patients, before the lockdown is lifted.

Packing people into public spaces like sardines has been a way of life here for a long time, but it's certainly not a good public health situation. Once the lockdown is lifted I have no idea what life here will be like. There is an elevator in the subway station near my workplace that we all call "the tuberculator". We still took it without a second thought...but will people willingly get into it now?
You can still move here after the pandemic is over. :)
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:53 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:45 pm
There is an elevator in the subway station near my workplace that we all call "the tuberculator". We still took it without a second thought...but will people willingly get into it now?
People will wear masks like in Asia
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Boris Johnson says that China has perhaps dozens of times more cases than claimed. I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually the case. Given the tenuous relationship between the Chinese government and the truth.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ina-2020-3

Here's a picture from Hong Kong my dad recently sent me.
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (163.74 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

I feel like we should all be wearing masks to the grocery store. People assume that the few who do are sick, or at least they can’t help but feel *maybe* the wearer is sick. Maybe when the fancier or more fun designs come out .

off topic: (Smith’s Hong Kong photo). I wonder if that first character in the sign is Cantonese only.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm
I feel like we should all be wearing masks to the grocery store. People assume that the few who do are sick, or at least they can’t help but feel *maybe* the wearer is sick. Maybe when the fancier or more fun designs come out .

off topic: (Smith’s Hong Kong photo). I wonder if that first character in the sign is Cantonese only.
A brighter mind will have to chime in on that one. I can speak Cantonese more or less fluently, but I am unable to read it unfortunately.

My dad has been cut off from China now that they have closed the border, so he will be in Hong Kong for the remainder of his trip. No boats are available to take him to Macau or anything like that.

We still don't know how the self-isolation situation is going to work out when he's back.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I really don't like the idea of wearing much of anything - let alone something covering my face. However... I expect it won't be too long before the social pressure ramps up enough that I won't be able to stop in a grocery store without a mask.

With that in mind, I'm working on my pack friendly, re-useable, re-chargeable face mask. Every evening I boil a bandana in 200ml of water and 60 grams of salt and then hang it up to dry without rinsing it. The next day, I tie it on like a cowboy neckerchief and can raise it up like a bank robber when required.

Once prepared, the bandana's invisible surface of salt crystals will near instantly destroy any viruses that land on it. And it can be recharged every day. So it is not only retro-cool, but also effective and cheap. Not as retro-cool as a Plague Doctor mask, but I do what I can. It's a skull bandana.

It also helps that I carry a 600 watt immersion heater and some silicone high temp food quality boiling bags.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:39 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

A brighter mind will have to chime in on that one. I can speak Cantonese more or less fluently, but I am unable to read it unfortunately.
That's interesting. I thought all the Chinese dialects were different only in their spoken aspect but shared the written aspect.
Which just goes to show how little I know about the Chinese language(s).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm
Not as retro-cool as a Plague Doctor mask, but I do what I can. It's a skull bandana.
A skull bandana may be better. I have a plague doctor mask that I bought for Halloween last year — who knew. If I wore it now, I don’t think it would be appreciated. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:39 pm
That's interesting. I thought all the Chinese dialects were different only in their spoken aspect but shared the written aspect.
That’s true for the most part. You don’t find many things written in Cantonese except for comic books, according to a guy who gave me a few lessons in a Burger King in no-Cantonese-at-all Taipei. (Bruce, if you’re out there, I really appreciated those lessons. If my minidisc recorder hadn’t glitched out, I’d still be playing the recordings on a regular basis). I do still remember how to say “eat sh*t” 🤷‍♂️

There are some characters that are truly Cantonese-only, but if you break them down into their components, they look like the other characters. That is, they’re not made from scratch.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:10 pm

I am hoping that the Dow will hit 15,000 through the scope of this crisis.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:46 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:54 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:39 pm
That’s true for the most part. You don’t find many things written in Cantonese except for comic books, according to a guy who gave me a few lessons in a Burger King in no-Cantonese-at-all Taipei. (Bruce, if you’re out there, I really appreciated those lessons. If my minidisc recorder hadn’t glitched out, I’d still be playing the recordings on a regular basis). I do still remember how to say “eat sh*t” 🤷‍♂️

There are some characters that are truly Cantonese-only, but if you break them down into their components, they look like the other characters. That is, they’re not made from scratch.
So it's sort of like the relationship between German and Swiss German?