Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Day 14 here.....and for the record....I last had any alcohol in December 1974 (45 years ago) and, also, no other recreational drugs since.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:22 pm

That's going to get fixed in a hurry, the longer the EtOH subthread lasts. Smith1776: have you tried taking cimetidine for the alcohol intolerance?

Checking in for the day! No news worth reporting here. I'm still working from home. Time to venture outside for a bit and then break out the tequila, ha.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Well-deserved, WiseOne.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 am

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not much new here, just watching the grass grow and reading a lot. No riots, no civil disobedience, no Wuhan symptoms for my wife and I - and plenty of quiet outside except for the birds and friendly neighbors' kids playing in the street, duly s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d of course. We have been checking in with friends and family frequently via phone, email and text to have some semblance of staying connected. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 am
Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not much new here, just watching the grass grow and reading a lot. No riots, no civil disobedience, no Wuhan symptoms for my wife and I - and plenty of quiet outside except for the birds and friendly neighbors' kids playing in the street, duly s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d of course. We have been checking in with friends and family frequently via phone, email and text to have some semblance of staying connected. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. 8)
Day 15 here for me. Only one day in the last fifteen (a week ago Tuesday) have I even seen a live human being! Yesterday I heard the kids playing but because of the fence did not see them. I have to revise my prior statement. For about a second yesterday I did see two people on bicycles riding by my house.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Day 15 here for me. Only one day in the last fifteen (a week ago Tuesday) have I even seen a live human being! Yesterday I heard the kids playing but because of the fence did not see them. I have to revise my prior statement. For about a second yesterday I did see two people on bicycles riding by my house.

Vinny
I've seen a couple of delivery people through my window: USPS and UPS. I don't go outside while they are on the property.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Vinny
I've seen a couple of delivery people through my window: USPS and UPS. I don't go outside while they are on the property.
Being rural, I don't see when either the newspaper or mail is dropped off in the boxes across the street from my driveway.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Vinny
Being rural, I don't see when either the newspaper or mail is dropped off in the boxes across the street from my driveway.

Vinny
Same here except when there are packages that won't fit in our mailbox, which they bring to our door.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
Same here except when there are packages that won't fit in our mailbox, which they bring to our door.
You are also seeing your wife on a daily basis?

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
You are also seeing your wife on a daily basis?

Vinny
Yes, of course. I was talking about interactions with others.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:29 pm

I didn't comment previously on the subject of beer. I used to enjoy many varieties of beer, but later moved on to be more of a wine-drinker, and then later to add cocktails to my routine (Manhattan, Vesper, others). So I only rarely have a beer these days. I still enjoy them, but I'm usually feeling pretty "full" after just one.

Anyway, for anyone who likes darker beers, I strongly recommend Ayinger Celebrator:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131/

It's categorized as a German Doppelbock. Doppel means "double" but Bock means "goat"? OK, now I had to Google more and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

Notable quote:
The style known now as bock was a dark, malty, lightly hopped ale first brewed in the 14th century by German brewers in the Hanseatic town of Einbeck.[2] The style from Einbeck was later adopted by Munich brewers in the 17th century and adapted to the new lager style of brewing. Due to their Bavarian accent, citizens of Munich pronounced "Einbeck" as "ein Bock" ("a billy goat"), and thus the beer became known as "bock". As a visual pun, a goat often appears on bock labels.
Neat. And, indeed, Ayinger Celebrator actually hangs a little white plastic goat trinket on every bottle (usually sold as a 4-pack).

Anyway, the beer has a very strong malty flavor, which I love. It's not a style that's been particularly popular in the USA (or probably too many other places) in quite a while. But if you like it, another fun fact is that any beer ending with the suffix "ator" is typically of this same style. That's something I *did* already know. Another notable quote from that Wikipedia page:
The monks who originally brewed doppelbock named their beer "Salvator" (literally "Savior", but actually a malapropism for "Sankt Vater", "St. Father", originally brewed for the feast of St. Francis of Paola on 2 April which often falls into Lent), which today is trademarked by Paulaner. Brewers of modern doppelbocks often add "-ator" to their beer's name as a signpost of the style; there are 200 "-ator" doppelbock names registered with the German patent office. The following are representative examples of the style: Paulaner Salvator, Ayinger Celebrator, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel, Spaten Optimator, Augustiner Maximator, Tucher Bajuvator, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock, Capital Autumnal Fire, EKU 28, Eggenberg Urbock 23º, Bell's Consecrator, Moretti La Rossa, Samuel Adams Double Bock, Tröegs Tröegenator Double Bock, Wasatch Brewery Devastator, Great Lakes Doppelrock, Abita Andygator, Wolverine State Brewing Company Predator, Burly Brewing's Burlynator, and Christian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Wow. I had that for the first time about a month ago. Pretty good.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm
That explains why I prefer IPAs to stouts and bocks. I like hoppiness over maltiness any day.
Once again, I go with Pugmeister’s taste profile - oh my, did I use the word profile? Vinny, please do not turn me in to the AOC police. ;)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Blech! No hoppiness for me, thanks.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 pm
MangoMan wrote:
That explains why I prefer IPAs to stouts and bocks. I like hoppiness over maltiness any day.
Once again, I go with Pugmeister’s taste profile - oh my, did I use the word profile? Vinny, please do not turn me in to the AOC police. ;)
Some day, you and I will clink glasses to a nice hoppy, citrusy, IPA Mountaineer. Whoever wants to join us is welcome. As long as you stay 6 ft away.
Deal!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am
Day 14 here.....and for the record....I last had any alcohol in December 1974 (45 years ago) and, also, no other recreational drugs since.

Vinny
So that's your problem.
Makes sense to me.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
So that's your problem.
Makes sense to me.
;D ;D ;D. No disrespect intended. That’s just funny!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Blech! No hoppiness for me, thanks.
Yup. I like every type of beer except IPAs. My favorite is hefeweizen.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Pug, we are going to have to undertake a re-education campaign for the unwashed. ;)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Daily check-in from NYC.

Trying to ignore the news, except for watching Cuomo's daily broadcast and compiling a chart of daily new COVID cases in NYC, which I posted in the coronavirus thread. Cuomo's broadcasts are getting better every day. Either that, or I'm appreciating them more. Highly recommend you guys pull them up on youtube.

Today I did some work on a journal article in revision, got hit up for a feature in the chair's weekly newsletter (just published an article a few days ago), obsessed inappropriately about a university hiring freeze that cuts off a postdoc hire in progress I desperately needed to happen (and so did she), and participated in a remote graduate student thesis committee meeting/qualifying exam. Then got an email asking me to add info to a spreadsheet with all our names on it, titled "Redeployment". This included my postdoc and research coordinator, so I had to warn them they may get a phone call.

Just had some tequila. Going out for a walk. I'm going to enjoy the weekend as best I can. BTW etoh-wise, I HIGHLY recommend a "Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog" liqueur that a friend of mine found. Incredibly yummy stuff.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:54 pm
Hefeweizen would be my second choice if no IPAs were available.
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (that’s a mouthful) is fantastic, especially in summer.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 pm
MangoMan wrote:
I make my choices and allow everyone else to make their choices. But I'll oftentimes be an evangelist for what I believe. When it comes to alcohol I generally don't say anything.

When I quit alcohol I was living in a house of drinkers. I think the kitchen always had a line of empty bear bottles about four feet long and a foot wide. Also, quit smoking marijuana that same last week of December 1974.

The next month, I was oftentimes in the same living room with two guys who went through smoking a pound of marijuana that month.

I'd still go to the bar to watch Yankees games and order water and eat peanuts.

Never a temptation for either the alcohol or the marijuana. I'd made up my mind and others could do whatever they wanted around me.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
So that's your problem.
Makes sense to me.
Obviously I don't consider it a problem. Always looking at the financial aspect of it, a ton of money that got invested instead.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
So that's your problem.
Makes sense to me.
;D ;D ;D. No disrespect intended. That’s just funny!
I know that you know that the Statement of Faiths for some churches (I'd bet the vast majority of Baptist ones) have something to the effect of:

"We do not believe in the use of alcohol" (and, now updated to, "or, the use of any recreational drug")

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 pm
Daily check-in from NYC.

Trying to ignore the news, except for watching Cuomo's daily broadcast and compiling a chart of daily new COVID cases in NYC, which I posted in the coronavirus thread. Cuomo's broadcasts are getting better every day. Either that, or I'm appreciating them more. Highly recommend you guys pull them up on youtube.

Today I did some work on a journal article in revision, got hit up for a feature in the chair's weekly newsletter (just published an article a few days ago), obsessed inappropriately about a university hiring freeze that cuts off a postdoc hire in progress I desperately needed to happen (and so did she), and participated in a remote graduate student thesis committee meeting/qualifying exam. Then got an email asking me to add info to a spreadsheet with all our names on it, titled "Redeployment". This included my postdoc and research coordinator, so I had to warn them they may get a phone call.

Just had some tequila. Going out for a walk. I'm going to enjoy the weekend as best I can. BTW etoh-wise, I HIGHLY recommend a "Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog" liqueur that a friend of mine found. Incredibly yummy stuff.
I was impressed with Cuomo by the 1st or 2nd one I saw.

I then emailed a friend wondering if he could end up the Democratic nominee at the convention rather than Biden. The friend stated that he's got too much on his hands with New York and he'd be a 2024 candidate.

But in my local newspaper we have a columnist who generally writes a local politics column on Fridays. Today he veered into national politics and seconded Coumo replacing Biden. He also brought up our own governor (Charlie Baker, the same one that Biden referred to as "Charlie Parker"!) as also replacing Biden. Baker is a Republican but you cannot be that much of a Republican to be elected governor of Massachusetts. Plus, Bernie is not a Democrat and is using the party to run as the Democratic nominee.

My enthusiasm for Cuomo, however, is tempered by me witnessing him at the relatively young age of 62 (compared to the three oldies still running) already having had (so far) 2 "Biden moments" in the daily broadcasts I've seen (sometimes I see them twice in a day).

Vinny