Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am

Hi all, I'm still on the bright side of the grass today and have no Wuhan Virus symptoms.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:00 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am
Hi all, I'm still on the bright side of the grass today and have no Wuhan Virus symptoms.
This is day 12 for me wherein there is only been one day in the last 12 where I've even briefly been in the presence of other people. It's only the mail and newspaper that has any possibilities of infecting me. Holding up well being a part of the Super Introvert breed who loves being a "home body".

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I don’t have any sickness or virus symptoms, but I’m definitely feeling a my-life-is-out-of-control-without-structure effect.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am

Good morning Vinny, Smith and Pug; hope you are well today. I guess all the others are "RIPed" since they didn't post in this thread yesterday. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:33 am

Early on in the crisis, my wife and I both had mild colds and were worried, "What if this is it?" The mild cold lingered a bit. My wife then seemed to get something else, and I started having allergy issues. Again we thought, "Could this be it?" But no significant COVID-19 symptoms were present, and today I'm actually feeling pretty good, aside from some mild allergy-like symptoms.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am

Start of day 13 of all but 1 of them (a week ago yesterday) in isolation. With no ways of infecting me no symptoms. All of this is highly conducive in living the Super Introvert lifestyle.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am

Well, I've had to go on some supermarket runs since this thing started. My wife actually started using Instacart shortly *before* this thing started, and used it early on in the "coronacrisis", including one final *really big* order. I think she also signed up for their annual "unlimited" plan. I wonder if they're still offering that to new customers (or, for that matter, if they're even still offering it to people who signed up for it).

More recently, I've begun wiping down the outer surfaces of all grocery items I purchase from my grocery runs with a Clorox-wipe. I do something similar for packages delivered. And I wash my hands after handling packages/mail. Hopefully a cure/vaccine/herd-immunity comes, so this doesn't have to be the "new normal" forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am
Well, I've had to go on some supermarket runs since this thing started. My wife actually started using Instacart shortly *before* this thing started, and used it early on in the "coronacrisis", including one final *really big* order. I think she also signed up for their annual "unlimited" plan. I wonder if they're still offering that to new customers (or, for that matter, if they're even still offering it to people who signed up for it).

More recently, I've begun wiping down the outer surfaces of all grocery items I purchase from my grocery runs with a Clorox-wipe. I do something similar for packages delivered. And I wash my hands after handling packages/mail. Hopefully a cure/vaccine/herd-immunity comes, so this doesn't have to be the "new normal" forever.
You give me entre to a question I had stacked up to ask here....

I'm in day 13 of being totally isolated from all human presence except for a week ago yesterday when I was at my office / eye doctor to pick up a contact lens passed to me in a package / grocery store. Therefore since the only possible opening for infection to me have been mail / newspaper.

Therefore I was thrilled to read the following in my daily newspaper from yesterday:

'....Dickson, the UMass Memorial doctor...."

""You really need to treat everyone like they're a potential carrier", Dickson said."

"The most likely way to pick up the coronavirus is by touching a surface with the virus on it, and then touching your face, Dickson said. He added that it is "extraordinary unlikely" that the virus could be transmitted through the mail."

I assume mail would also include the newspaper?

The question is would you make a decision based upon this one point of source of information (which seems to be coming from a reputable source)? Or, would you seek more to conclude that the mail and newspaper are safe.

I heard another source on C-Span say that the mail is safe as long as you wash your hands after touching it. Does that mean every time you touch it after receiving it? And you hold a newspaper to read it. That means you constantly wash your hands while reading it?

Vinny
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Vinny, I am no expert. But I'm taking as much precaution as possible. I don't get the newspaper, but I do get mail and other deliveries. For boxed deliveries, I'm generally opening/discarding the cardboard box and washing my hands. For the contents, I'm sometimes (but not always) wiping the box inside down with a Clorox wipe. Whatever's inside that box, I'm not currently doing anything, thinking that the item itself was probably put in that box well before the Coronavirus started. But who knows.

For mail, I've been opening it and trying to remember to wash my hands afterwards, but otherwise haven't done much. But who knows if that's good enough.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Vinny, I am no expert. But I'm taking as much precaution as possible. I don't get the newspaper, but I do get mail and other deliveries. For boxed deliveries, I'm generally opening/discarding the cardboard box and washing my hands. For the contents, I'm sometimes (but not always) wiping the box inside down with a Clorox wipe. Whatever's inside that box, I'm not currently doing anything, thinking that the item itself was probably put in that box well before the Coronavirus started. But who knows.

For mail, I've been opening it and trying to remember to wash my hands afterwards, but otherwise haven't done much. But who knows if that's good enough.
Everything I've read and heard that if it is on your hands and you spent 20 seconds washing, it is no longer on your hands.

Vinny
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm
Everything I've read and heard that if it is on your hands and you spent 20 seconds washing, it is no longer on your hands.
Yes, absolutely do that. I was more addressing whether it made sense to wipe down packages/mail, and how much to worry about the papers inside the envelopes being contaminated, etc.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 pm

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
Yes, absolutely do that. I was more addressing whether it made sense to wipe down packages/mail, and how much to worry about the papers inside the envelopes being contaminated, etc.
So much of what I receive in the envelopes is NOT personal so I think it's been untouched by human hands, e.g., all the information, transaction statements I receive from Vanguard.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

Mountaineer this is a great idea. I hope Ad posts here as well as the "forum members with c19" thread.

I just posted in a couple of other threads, but here's my daily check-in. No change here, still working from home. Just found out that 3 people in my division have likely COVID-19 (none tested because all have mild cases), and 4 of the office staff have family members with dx'd COVID (one of whom unfortunately has died) but are not sick themselves.

So I am figuring a near-certain likelihood I've been exposed. It has been 1.5 weeks since I was last near any of the three people who are sick, and 6 days since I was in contact with anyone in the division.

OMG my sister just called to say my niece is sick and it sounds like COVID-19. She's driving long-distance to move from New Orleans to her parents' home 12 hours away, and she developed a fever en route. Calling her now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:43 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 pm
CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
So much of what I receive in the envelopes is NOT personal so I think it's been untouched by human hands, e.g., all the information, transaction statements I receive from Vanguard.

Vinny
Why wouldn't you get that stuff electronically? Better for the environment, easier to store.
Paper is far easier to use than navigating online. I go completely paperless on my work that is all in Excel spreadsheets but that is all under my control and accessible to me whenever I want it. Never an issue of getting to it.

And, if you want the paper then that better for the environment is a joke or lie. Take your pick. All those companies feeding you the "green" line are shifting all the costs of printing from them to you when they could do it far less costly than collectively all of us. When I print our organization's paper bank statements for the about 12 accounts we have the ones from one of the banks where most of them are located are filled with ridiculous amounts of filler pages (like a reconciliation page, a notice from them for every account) that I just throw away (recycle, of course). Yes, I could selectively choose to not print those pages. But doing that for 12 accounts? Again they are shifting costs from them to my organization paying me to spend the time doing that for 10 accounts. I'd far prefer getting those statements in the mail. But they blackmail you by only allowing you online access if you only get online statements.

Big-time sore point for me. I get anything I can in the mail via paper. Let them spend THEIR time and money producing it and getting it to me so that all I have to do is open an envelope to get at it and have it as a permanent copy.

Vinny

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Mountaineer this is a great idea. I hope Ad posts here as well as the "forum members with c19" thread.

I just posted in a couple of other threads, but here's my daily check-in. No change here, still working from home. Just found out that 3 people in my division have likely COVID-19 (none tested because all have mild cases), and 4 of the office staff have family members with dx'd COVID (one of whom unfortunately has died) but are not sick themselves.

So I am figuring a near-certain likelihood I've been exposed. It has been 1.5 weeks since I was last near any of the three people who are sick, and 6 days since I was in contact with anyone in the division.

OMG my sister just called to say my niece is sick and it sounds like COVID-19. She's driving long-distance to move from New Orleans to her parents' home 12 hours away, and she developed a fever en route. Calling her now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am
I guess all the others are "RIPed" since they didn't post in this thread yesterday. ;)
I’ll make sure to edit my sig line when I’m on my deathbed.
But really, as long as someone posts elsewhere on the forum that’s good enough, right?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am
I guess all the others are "RIPed" since they didn't post in this thread yesterday. ;)
I’ll make sure to edit my sig line when I’m on my deathbed.
But really, as long as someone posts elsewhere on the forum that’s good enough, right?
I thought it would be easier if the check in thread were LIMITED to just a brief hi from each of us. Make it easier for a quick scan of who is here and who isn’t. Whatever works best for y’all is fine.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:01 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

WiseOne, hope you and your sister are ok. Best wishes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:18 pm
My rule is anything that I will have to print (credit card statements for my business), I still have mailed. But anything that is just going to be looked at and then stored in a computer file (bank statements, utility bills, brokerage statements, etc) I receive electronically.
I've been a dedicated Quicken user since January 1, 1994. Every single financial transaction goes into it. For a while I was having Vanguard transactions were automatically getting downloaded into Quicken. But then something happened along the way so that they were not. And, it'd been tricky to initially set it all up and I never made the time investment to make it work that way again. Therefore, I'm now back to entering every single transaction by hand into Quicken -- takes maybe 15-20 minutes a month. But it goes much faster having the papers in my hand than having the information on one monitor and then entering it into Quicken in another.

Also, I've been running an electricity Excel worksheet for decades in which I detail every single item on that electric bill. Again, much easier to have that piece of paper in my hand than having to log in online and get it from seeing it on screen.

I definitely will chose whichever is fastest, paper or monitor.

Vinny
LittleDinghy

Post by LittleDinghy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Likewise WiseOne. I wish you and yours turn out ok. Hopefully your niece is young!

My wife and I are fine, as is a friend staying with us (who came only after self-quarantining for 15 days)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 pm
I use quicken and I used to download. Now I just save everything in pdf form.
And, what do you use to input all into Quicken for investment transactions, e.g., monthly dividends? What you see on a screen somewhere?

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 pm

MangoMan wrote:
We're fine here.

I don't like paperless either, but at this point I have put all my accounts on paperless so I don't have to open the mail. Almost everything we get other than credit card statements is junk mail.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 pm
MangoMan wrote:
We're fine here.

I don't like paperless either, but at this point I have put all my accounts on paperless so I don't have to open the mail. Almost everything we get other than credit card statements is junk mail.
The only thing that bothers me about getting the paper mail is that it's not that infrequent that I get mail of my various neighbors and I've always wondered if any of them has ever received a Vanguard statement of mine. I've never missed getting one or seen one opened, which is what I've done to my neighbor's mail when I'm just opening all of it and not looking at the front of the envelope as I am opening each of them.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Ha. I think about that, too.
I received a statement from Credit Suisse that was meant for my neighbor. No, I didn’t peek.
But like you, I wonder what has gone to my neighbors, especially since two of them rent out to AirBnB, and renters just don’t care.
I only receive year-end statements from Vanguard in paper, though. The rest is PDFs.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm
Ha. I think about that, too.
I received a statement from Credit Suisse that was meant for my neighbor. No, I didn’t peek.
But like you, I wonder what has gone to my neighbors, especially since two of them rent out to AirBnB, and renters just don’t care.
I only receive year-end statements from Vanguard in paper, though. The rest is PDFs.
Every one of them tries every deceptive trick in the book to get you to accidentally click paperless. I detest all of them for that. I want an option that says: "No! STOP asking me! I'll find you if I ever want to! Thanks!"

Vinny