Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Vil »

As always, we're well ahead of US ;D - you can see how some parliamentary representatives looked today during their session. There is some brave lady in the upper right corner of the photo - guess a former member of the Communist party (actually most of them are..)

Joke apart - army is already on the streets, almost complete lockdown. Haven't heard the latest news but I still hope we're allowed to breathe (at home of course).
Attachments
Parliament.jpg
Parliament.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

^ Bulgaria ^
🍍
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Heh, good guess. I think I've mentioned in the past from where I am, or did you get it somewhere in the news (just curious) ?
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Vil wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 am As always, we're well ahead of US ;D - you can see how some parliamentary representatives looked today during their session. There is some brave lady in the upper right corner of the photo - guess a former member of the Communist party (actually most of them are..)

Joke apart - army is already on the streets, almost complete lockdown. Haven't heard the latest news but I still hope we're allowed to breathe (at home of course).
This Respirator is to filter incoming not outgoing breath.
So I do not think it is much good if you have the Flu already.
But with the Cartridges it sure will be effective and a lot more comfortable.
North_770030_3_44d73c30-790a-49de-a3c9-c7d7399c4d1f_500x500.png
North_770030_3_44d73c30-790a-49de-a3c9-c7d7399c4d1f_500x500.png (201.83 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Vil wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am Heh, good guess. I think I've mentioned in the past from where I am, or did you get it somewhere in the news (just curious) ?
I think you did mention it once but I'd forgotten, and I guessed wrong. I started with Russia. Came across a twitter post tweet that said "Casual Friday in the Bulgarian Parliament" with the same photo. O0
🍍
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Islamic housewives?
Or clothes from surgery?
Casual Friday
No escape from COVID-19

Open up wide,
Keep up social distancing,
I'm just a young boy, I need no sympathy,
I'll spread it if I cough, if I blow,
out my nose, sans elbow,
Any way this thing goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 pm Islamic housewives?
Or clothes from surgery?
Casual Friday
No escape from COVID-19

Open up wide,
Keep up social distancing,
I'm just a young boy, I need no sympathy,
I'll spread it if I cough, if I blow,
out my nose, sans elbow,
Any way this thing goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
Excellent! Medium Tex could have done no better!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

This Lt. Gen. from the Army Corps of Engineers (presently on C-Span with others) is absolutely wild! They ARE ready to start building more hospital spaces in every state in the country!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm Illinois on shelter-in-place lockdown effective tomorrow per governor.
What are the exceptions? How do you prove you are an exception?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

If you missed it the first time around, C-Span is getting showing today's Coronavirus Response. It just started and Trump's just wrapping up his comments before he turns it over to the others there.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 pm I believe it is for hydroxychloroquine but my understanding is that they are very similar drugs. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, so I can't say exactly what the differences might be.

As for whether the POTUS could order the FDA commissioner to approve a drug, the FDA is an (illegal) executive branch agency, so it is under POTUS' authority. So I'm pretty sure the Constitutional answer would be yes.

In any event, every potential treatment that has a reasonable safety record in other uses must be used if we are to head off disaster.
There's some confusion here...the Chinese report was for chloroquine, which is a malaria drug that is common around the world but not available in the US. The news articles here, and the French study etc, was for hydroxychloroquine, trade name Plaquenil. It's an immune-modulating/anti-inflammatory drug used for rheumatoid arthritis, and of course already FDA approved for that indication. Using it for COVID-19 would be an off-label use, which insurance companies sometimes raise a stink about but that doctors actually do all the time. And I can't imagine insurance companies balking at paying for a cheap med for COVID patients because that would be the negative press of the century.

I'm just as confused as you guys are. Those two drugs may be chemically related, but they are NOT the same.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

First work, then the gym, then school, and finally... my music lessons.

All of my daily out of house routines are officially closed.

It's weirdly liberating.
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 pm I believe it is for hydroxychloroquine but my understanding is that they are very similar drugs. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, so I can't say exactly what the differences might be.

As for whether the POTUS could order the FDA commissioner to approve a drug, the FDA is an (illegal) executive branch agency, so it is under POTUS' authority. So I'm pretty sure the Constitutional answer would be yes.

In any event, every potential treatment that has a reasonable safety record in other uses must be used if we are to head off disaster.
There's some confusion here...the Chinese report was for chloroquine, which is a malaria drug that is common around the world but not available in the US. The news articles here, and the French study etc, was for hydroxychloroquine, trade name Plaquenil. It's an immune-modulating/anti-inflammatory drug used for rheumatoid arthritis, and of course already FDA approved for that indication. Using it for COVID-19 would be an off-label use, which insurance companies sometimes raise a stink about but that doctors actually do all the time. And I can't imagine insurance companies balking at paying for a cheap med for COVID patients because that would be the negative press of the century.

I'm just as confused as you guys are. Those two drugs may be chemically related, but they are NOT the same.
Thanks, I guess. :P

Whatever it is, it had better work or we're in for a trip through hell.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I have another date today with that girl I told you guys about. The one that lives down the street.

We have not been practicing social distancing. O0
💻 DITM 📚
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Haha! Stay safe (in the microbial sense at least).
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm ...

Thanks, I guess. :P

Made me laugh out loud.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm I have another date today with that girl I told you guys about. The one that lives down the street.

The medical person for the state of Ohio coined a different two word phrase for the ever-present "social distancing". Though I heard it within the last two hours I'm forgetting it.

She was emphasizing that we could still be social in different ways (like we all are here) but at a distance.

Could have been "Practical distancing"?

VInny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

This girl, through our conversations now knows that I studied business and used to work in finance. She has been wanting investment advice so I've been introducing her to the PP.

I could make another juvenile joke there... but I won't. ::)
💻 DITM 📚
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm This girl, through our conversations now knows that I studied business and used to work in finance. She has been wanting investment advice so I've been introducing her to the PP.

In a movie the whole movie would be about how all your constant (successful) attempts you were making to avoid her finding out about you being one of those fringe, wacky Permanent Portfolio people. Until just in the end....and then what happened once she found out??!!! "Oh, Smith1776! I do truly love you! And, I do want to marry you. But I could NEVER bring up our children in the Permanent Portfolio way! My family is Bogle Head and that I shall remain to my dying day!"

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:40 pm
In a movie the whole movie would be about how all your constant (successful) attempts you were making to avoid her finding out about you being one of those fringe, wacky Permanent Portfolio people. Until just in the end....and then what happened once she found out??!!! "Oh, Smith1776! I do truly love you! And, I do want to marry you. But I could NEVER bring up our children in the Permanent Portfolio way! My family is Bogle Head and that I shall remain to my dying day!"

Vinny
OMG. You're not even kidding, Vinny. The number of people who have given me a "look" when I show them the MapleGrams I carry in my wallet... and yes, some of those people were girls I was seeing. Between that and the Swiss Army Knife I carry 24/7, I must truly seem like a wacko.

I'd better put "Must be a Permanent Portfolio investor" in my dating profile...

At least I'm not a toilet paper hoarder in this whole fiasco.
💻 DITM 📚
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

https://youtu.be/zj3ttaiSgvs

Latest James Rickards interview concerning COVID-19's impact on the economy and markets.
💻 DITM 📚
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

If you all want to hear a first-hand account from U.S. COVID-19 patient #3, listen to the most recent episode of the Barbell Logic podcast (episode #289). The host of that podcast was apparently the third person in the U.S. to be officially diagnosed, and his story is pretty interesting.

He was only able to get tested for COVID-19 after multiple rounds of pleading by both him and his doctor. The handling of his situation by the medical system and CDC sounds laughably dysfunctional.

Short story: He's had a dry cough and an on-and-off fever with chills/aches for about two weeks now, and had to spend a couple of days in the hospital since a scan of his chest showed stuff in his lungs, but he's back home and slowly improving now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 pm The medical person for the state of Ohio coined a different two word phrase for the ever-present "social distancing".
Could have been "Practical distancing"?
Physical distancing? That's one I saw, although I don't know if it was an Ohioan.
Kind of annoying, people getting caught up with re-coining a term. We all know what social distancing means. It's fine. Just my opinion.
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm This girl, through our conversations now knows that I studied business and used to work in finance. She has been wanting investment advice so I've been introducing her to the PP.

O0 Of course not. It's not like you just did make the joke or anything.
🍍
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm I have another date today with that girl I told you guys about. The one that lives down the street.

Good luck. Let's hope neither of you has the virus.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:43 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Vinny
OMG. You're not even kidding, Vinny. The number of people who have given me a "look" when I show them the MapleGrams I carry in my wallet... and yes, some of those people were girls I was seeing. Between that and the Swiss Army Knife I carry 24/7, I must truly seem like a wacko.

I'd better put "Must be a Permanent Portfolio investor" in my dating profile...

At least I'm not a toilet paper hoarder in this whole fiasco.
Now I think I remember her phrase. Another "P"! "Physical Distancing" That is FAR better than "Social Distancing". Far more precise and lacks the bad connotation of acting anti-social.

I've many times practiced "social distancing" in the figurative sense of the word when I'm pressed up tight against other people in the crowd at a live music show but I'm not really interacting in any way with those people around me.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Looks like the rec centre and gym closure will be in place for a good while.

I'm heading to Walmart today or tomorrow to get some Coronavirus quarantine home workout gear.

I currently have a yoga mat and a jump rope. Legit nothing else.

If you were to spend, say, up to 100 bucks, what would you spend that money on to get the best home workout possible? Would you spend anything at all? I'm thinking of at least getting that ab wheel thing.
💻 DITM 📚