Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

APMEX onegold.com

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi folks,

I have not been here for a while but have using the Permanent Portfolio. I wanted throw something out that just started up this year. APMEX onegold.com. The fees all seem much lower for allocated or pooled storage as well as storage outside of the country (Canada). Also the buy sell commissions are better than I have seen anywhere. Finally the physical redemption cost (redemption and shipping) are very good as well. I have a feeling things are so cheap because it's a new product. It's the best I have seen. If someone has used this product please post your impressions.

Thanks!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: APMEX onegold.com

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm curious about it. I don't like that Sprott is the partner, though.
Have you ever taken physical possession?
RIP Marcello Gandini
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Actually, I am not a customer yet. For the large portion of gold I am buying IAU but would love a way to have a large cache of physical gold that is easily acquired, stored offshore, low cost over spot, easily sold, easily converted to physical gold from multiple locations, preferably fully allocated, and.....low cost of storage! How's that for a mouthful.

I did notice that Sprott is a major partner. Maybe for the Canadian side of the offering. What's your take on Sprott?

Thanks!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

I don’t know much about Sprott. Just that they took over another company I was holding — Central something — and after that the value of my shares seemed to sink. I should have sold before the takeover along with everyone else.

If you search the forum for ‘Sprott’ you’ll probably see complaints. From Libertarian666 for one, if I recall correctly.

I’m biased against anything but physical gold these days. Trying to get rid of my IAU as well.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm
I don’t know much about Sprott. Just that they took over another company I was holding — Central something — and after that the value of my shares seemed to sink. I should have sold before the takeover along with everyone else.

If you search the forum for ‘Sprott’ you’ll probably see complaints. From Libertarian666 for one, if I recall correctly.

I’m biased against anything but physical gold these days. Trying to get rid of my IAU as well.
Yes, I sold my CEF and GTU when Sprott took the first one over. He arranged a hostile takeover by overcoming the protections in place against that through what I thought were ethically dubious means.

Given that, I saw no reason to do business with any company he was in charge of.