Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vaccines

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:57 pm

pugchief wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:52 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:01 am
The newest shingles vaccine that my wife and I received was "Shingrix".

https://www.shingrix.com/index.html

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/shingles-shots
Yep. That is the one I just received. Although they told me if it wasn't covered it would only be around $100 for each of the 2 doses. Vinny, check with Walgreens or CVS or whatever is in your area. They both administer the injection and it might be less that what your MD charges.
Yes to that suggestion. We got ours at an Acme supermarket pharmacy. They did all the insurance checking, showed us the data, etc. Vinny, Don’t be too anal about the cost. Risk has two components- probability of contracting shingles, and severity if you do. The second is bad enough to overwhelm the first, and to ignore costs of injections for all practical purposes. Suggest you talk to some people who have had shingles, it is not something you want to experience if at all possible. I t can be HORRIBLE! My two cents.
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm

I actually got shingles when I was only 20, in college right after final exams one winter. The stress and my weird sleep schedule must have weakened my immune system.

It was only a thin, 3-inch long rash on my side, so I was probably lucky it wasn’t much worse.

Very weird to think about how a virus can be tucked away in different places in our bodies, just biding its time before it’s able to launch another assault on the body in the distant future... or never.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm
I actually got shingles when I was only 20, in college right after final exams one winter. The stress and my weird sleep schedule must have weakened my immune system.

It was only a thin, 3-inch long rash on my side, so I was probably lucky it wasn’t much worse.

Very weird to think about how a virus can be tucked away in different places in our bodies, just biding its time before it’s able to launch another assault on the body in the distant future... or never.
The HORRIBLE comment I made above was due to my great aunt. Got shingles on her face very close to her eye. Came very, very close to going blind. Wife had it on her side/back and weirdly in her mouth (the shingles killed nerves in a tooth and she subsequently had to have a root canal). She had a lot of trouble sleeping. Lasted months. Hope the Shingrix vaccine prevents a recurrence, or at least minimizes the severity, i.e. the pain, and maybe duration if it comes back. So far, so good.
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.