Post by dualstow » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:06 pm

VUSXX/#11 is the greatest.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How do you invest the Cash portion?

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Market watch shows vusxx at 2.23 and shv at 2.22 expenses included ........hardly worth me dealing with vanguard for
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:01 pm
Market watch shows vusxx at 2.23 and shv at 2.22 expenses included ........hardly worth me dealing with vanguard for
Vanguard is paying 1.87% compounded minus the 0.09% ER per their own site.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:06 am

be careful comparing yields ... first off the sec yield on money markets is a 7 day average ... the sec yield on etf's like shv are based on the last 30 days ending on the last day of the last month . plus shv can have capital appreciation . so i would not compare a money market to shv and then rule out shv because of a higher expense ...you are not even comparing the same duration holdings so it can not be an apple to apple comparison ..

my shv has outperformed my money market .
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:54 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Yes indeed!!!! (What's #11?)

Another advantage of VUSXX over an ETF: you can print out and mail in a form to Vanguard, and they'll send you free checks. Gives you another way to access the cash in VUSXX: write a check.

Which I might end up doing soon enough...had a big plumbing leak last night under my sink and the downstairs neighbor got water pooling on her lovely gourmet wood kitchen cabinets. The super shut off the water in my kitchen so I have to do dishes in the bathtub for now. Yikes.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:15 pm

We do all bill paying ,transfers and coordination of our finances through fidelity .....so all check writing goes through the core .we can shift money from shv , but I look at them as two separate functions ....shv holds cash that is like a stock option with no expiration date to buy assets at lower prices .....so it has a different function than our money market core.

If the flood was not your fault liability wise you are not responsible for damage ...my son had a sink pipe break and flood downstairs ...since he never touched the original sink or pipe he was found not responsible for any damages below
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 am

sophie wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:54 am
dualstow wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Yes indeed!!!! (What's #11?)

Another advantage of VUSXX over an ETF: you can print out and mail in a form to Vanguard, and they'll send you free checks. Gives you another way to access the cash in VUSXX: write a check.

Which I might end up doing soon enough...had a big plumbing leak last night under my sink and the downstairs neighbor got water pooling on her lovely gourmet wood kitchen cabinets. The super shut off the water in my kitchen so I have to do dishes in the bathtub for now. Yikes.
- #11 is the fund number. I often search for this fund with the ticker if i use google, but with the fund number if I’m on Vanguard’s own site. I find it easier to remember the numbers for some reason. I’m definitely more word-oriented than math-inclined, but these non-word tickers are easy to mix up.

- Checks: yes! Sometimes I use Vanguard checks to pay taxes.

- sorry to hear about the plumbing and your neighbor’s cabinets! I now feel a little less bad about myself, having discovered that a family of birds has made a home in the wood just below my roof. Misery loves company.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks dualstow, I learned something new about Vanguard today. Sorry to hear about your roof issue and hope it's not too expensive! Thinking it might be worth it in the long run to put in a leak detector under the sink.

BTW if anyone is interested in buying a new faucet, here's a big sale at efaucets.com right now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am

sophie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am
I learned something new about Vanguard today.

The fund numbers were more useful in the old days when I used to buy shares with a paper check in the mail. You had to write the fund number on the form and on the check.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am
sophie wrote:

The fund numbers were more useful in the old days when I used to buy shares with a paper check in the mail. You had to write the fund number on the form and on the check.
Does that whole process now seem like the Dark Ages compared to now? I also used to buy tons of stamps back and write a lot of checks. Now it's only a handful of stamps used ALL year and not that many checks written.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:40 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Does that whole process now seem like the Dark Ages compared to now? I also used to buy tons of stamps back and write a lot of checks. Now it's only a handful of stamps used ALL year and not that many checks written.

Vinny
Yeah... except just remember... common everyday email is NOT ENCRYPTED. If you want something to be really pretty private, send it by US Mail... or encrypt it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am
sophie wrote:

Vinny
I have to say I miss it. There's a blue mailbox half a block away from me, and I enjoyed the process of walking there more than I do a button click. Of course, the new way is easier and I usually have fund purchases on autopilot anyway.

Paying bills with a check and stamp on the other hand is not so much fun, so I do think of that in a Dark Agey way. (Also on autopilot now).

Encryption: well, I read about thieves who raid mailboxes with a stick and tape attached. They erase the writing on checks and steal them. So, every system has its weakness. Once in a while I use protonmail to send an email to friends, and if it's something sensitive, I lock it with a password and supply a hint. Or rather, I used to. More often than not, they'd text me and ask "What's this?" They were afraid to open it.
But, usually it's gmail to gmail, so-- only the good folks at google can read it. O0 j/k
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I am going to grab a 1 year Jumbo CD with 2.06% APR at Advancial Credit Union, which is a Texas credit union with branches in some of the Energy States: TX, LA, AK, OK. But I think anyone can open an account and buy a CD.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:34 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:28 pm
I am going to grab a 1 year Jumbo CD with 2.06% APR at Advancial Credit Union, which is a Texas credit union with branches in some of the Energy States: TX, LA, AK, OK. But I think anyone can open an account and buy a CD.
I swear my Discover Bank CD just rolled over at a higher rate than that...hrm, looks like it did (2.2% a few weeks ago), but they're now down to offering 2.00%.

I'm still happy I locked in some 3.1% 5-yr CDs a short while back while I could...feel that big money rollin' in :)
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I am alternately fascinated and perplexed by the endless hunt for yield in Cash that populates this thread and others like it.

The Fed, which exerts enormous power over short-term interest rates, has repeatedly set its target for future inflation at 2%. Therefore, if you buy a CD that yields 2.06%, your expected after-inflation gain will almost certainly be around +0.06%. That miniscule real yield will be further reduced by federal, state, and local taxes that will eat away at your net gain.

Note also if future inflation rises even slightly above your current CD rate (something which has happened historically quite often), you will experience a net real decline, but will still have to pay taxes on your nominal gain.

My conclusion? CDs are a very clever mechanism that bankers use to transfer your money to their bank.
Last edited by jhogue on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:29 pm

1 year Treasuries are 1.56%, I think 2.06% for a 1 year CD is the better choice. No one is promising us any rose gardens here, we're just trying to make the least bad choices.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:54 pm

A 3 month T bill sold for 1.56% on 11/21/19 at Fidelity. I think the 4 week was about the same.

With yields this low and the Treasury curve this flat, isn’t it pointless (and unnecessarily risky) to buy one year bank CDs instead of T-bills on auto-roll?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm

by jhogue » Today, 3:26 pm \
I am alternately fascinated and perplexed by the endless hunt for yield in Cash that populates this thread and others like it.
I'm too lazy to chase yield, but I do enjoy reading the threads of those who chase it.

Setting aside the long bonds I bought for the vp, I have a small set of notes of various maturities that pay between 1 and 2% overall.
Some began life (in my holdings) as ten year notes, others as 5-years, and so on. Putting them in order by maturity date, there will be one reaching the finish line about every year or year and a half.

I used to think what a mistake it was to buy them. Now the yield is looking pretty good. I want to draw a tacky analogy, but I'll resist.
But, I like watching what was pathetic deep cash turn into pretty good cash.

The pp has notes paying 2.6% and 2.75%, hooray. But what happens when they mature? I'll probably be buying notes at 1% or VUSXX which is going down (the yield) every week. 1.71% compounded, right now.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Agree with the lazy approach. My solution is a STT fund. You are always going to get the X yr average of the funds target.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 pm
Agree with the lazy approach. My solution is a STT fund. You are always going to get the X yr average of the funds target.
"STT" = ??

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:32 pm
"STT" = ??
Presumably "Short-term Treasury"
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am

drumminj wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:32 pm
"STT" = ??
Presumably "Short-term Treasury"
Yes
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm
by jhogue » Today, 3:26 pm \
I'm too lazy to chase yield, but I do enjoy reading the threads of those who chase it.

Setting aside the long bonds I bought for the vp, I have a small set of notes of various maturities that pay between 1 and 2% overall.
Some began life (in my holdings) as ten year notes, others as 5-years, and so on. Putting them in order by maturity date, there will be one reaching the finish line about every year or year and a half.

I used to think what a mistake it was to buy them. Now the yield is looking pretty good. I want to draw a tacky analogy, but I'll resist.
But, I like watching what was pathetic deep cash turn into pretty good cash.

The pp has notes paying 2.6% and 2.75%, hooray. But what happens when they mature? I'll probably be buying notes at 1% or VUSXX which is going down (the yield) every week. 1.71% compounded, right now.
dualstow,

Looking in the rear view mirror, your ten year ladder of CDs must seem like a sure-fire-no-brainer-strategy for any amount of cash up to the $250,000 FDIC limit. Low inflation and Trump’s tax cut didn’t hurt either.

Here’s the problem as I see it:

Domestic STTs and ITTs are now stuck in a lower-bound range of 1.5 - 1.8%, and trillions in negative yielding euro and Swiss franc bonds are piling ever higher in Europe. There is no way that you can build a new ladder of of ten year CDs going forward that will bring you the after-inflation and after-tax yield your old CD ladder did. Interest rates can stay the same or they can rise, but they cannot continue to fall at the rate they did over the last decade for the next decade.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Who knows what the future holds, jhogue.
It's very tempting to just have a large stock-heavy vp with zaftig dividends.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm
Who knows what the future holds, jhogue.
It's very tempting to just have a large stock-heavy vp with zaftig dividends.
DWX foreign dividend stock ETF yielding 3.3% now. I own this one.