H&R Block Tax Software now available

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

H&R Block Tax Software now available

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

For those of you interested in H&R Block Tax Software the 2019 version has been available on Amazon since November 11, 2019. Including one state the cost is $35.

Anyone have a better price elsewhere?

https://smile.amazon.com/Block-Software ... l_huc_item

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: H&R Block Tax Software now available

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:05 pm

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm

The TurboTax Free File Program offers free online tax preparation and electronic filing to hard-working Americans and their families who meet annual eligibility requirements, which are announced at the beginning of each tax season.

Income below $66,000
Free File Software

Neither one is for EVERYONE regardless of income.

And, my question was asking if anyone had seen the H&R Block software available at a lower price than Amazon's current $35 price. It seems like I may have paid $32 for the 2018 version.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am

It matters which version of the software you're looking at. This is the Deluxe. Does this handle schedule C and capital gains/losses? Looks like I need Premium for that, which comes at a price that's roughly similar to Turbotax with the Fidelity discount.

Also does H&R block automatically import 1099's from banks and brokerages? That's seriously worth the extra cost of Turbotax for me.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

I've been using this successfully for ~4 years:

https://www.freetaxusa.com/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:20 am

FWIW TurboTax Premier plus 1 State available now at Costco via download - $70.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm

When I first started using it, I did import TurboTax. Don't know about HR Block.

Looks like it can read fields from PDFs:

Why should I import my tax information from last year?
If you filed last year's taxes using TurboTax(R), TaxAct(R), or H&R Block(R) tax software, you can upload a PDF to make entering your information into FREETAXUSA easier. Importing will save you time by uploading things like your name, address, income sources, and deduction/credit information.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:29 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am
It matters which version of the software you're looking at. This is the Deluxe. Does this handle schedule C and capital gains/losses? Looks like I need Premium for that, which comes at a price that's roughly similar to Turbotax with the Fidelity discount.

Also does H&R block automatically import 1099's from banks and brokerages? That's seriously worth the extra cost of Turbotax for me.
I every year do a Schedule C so yes to that. When I have had capital gains & losses (I've been a BIG-TIME buy and holder) it has handled those.

I have never tried to import 1099's. I think I only have less than 10 and they are all the same ones each year so not a big deal for to just enter in this year's amounts.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 am
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am

The Deluxe version of HR Block is way more comprehensive than TurboTax Deluxe. It has always included Sched C, D, E in past years, so unless this has changed....

I'm pretty sure you can import as well, but not certain.

@Vinny: I have used HR Block Deluxe for years, and have never paid more than around $20, but I don't use the State version, so it's less expensive. But there will certainly be sales between now and Feb 28.
As soon as I have the time to work on my 2019 tax planning I want to have it. Therefore, I'm perfectly content to pay the $35 (but even MORE content to pay less at the time of purchase).

The state version does not generally come available until at least January or at least later. Turbo Tax users. Is this the same for Turbo Tax?

And, Illinois has no state income tax? If so, then I assume you must have a state sales tax of at least 8%? Are professional services like yours taxed?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

I just signed up and started using it.

From what I saw It'd be way too time consuming for me. It seems like all the inputting is done via an interview process and then you have to wait after you save that page and get to the next page of interview questions?

My preference is a tax return process wherein the forms all are all right in front of me and I'm either directly inputting into the forms or supporting worksheets.

It's well worth it to me to pay H&R Block $35 (or less) each year for a fairly robust tax software for both federal and state that is only on my computer, has no wait times between inputting, and allows me to input directly into the forms.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm

As soon as I have the time to work on my 2019 tax planning I want to have it. Therefore, I'm perfectly content to pay the $35 (but even MORE content to pay less at the time of purchase).

The state version does not generally come available until at least January or at least later. Turbo Tax users. Is this the same for Turbo Tax?

And, Illinois has no state income tax? If so, then I assume you must have a state sales tax of at least 8%? Are professional services like yours taxed?

Vinny
Hahahaha. The sales tax in Chicago is 10.25%, that on top of the second highest property taxes in the US and an income tax of 4.95% which they are trying to raise. The reason I don't use the state version of the tax software is bc IL allows you to file electronically on the dept of revenue website for free. If HR Block charged an extra $10 for the state, I would prob just pay it, but for $30 no.
10.25% plus 4.95%!

Massachusetts has a state-side sales tax of 6.25%, no local tax. Income tax is about 5%. My house taxes for a house valued at about $165,000 is about $2,400 a year. Don't know what my house would be valued at if in your location.

The $35 for H&R Block is for BOTH federal and (one) state tax returns. And, once you enter your information in the federal return all the information flows to the state return so not much information remaining to be entered on the state return side. Think about the time savings on that end wherein YOU are entering in H&R Block for federal then entering in a lot of the same information online.

Also, one of my main goals in any of my work (particularly in spreadsheets) is to try to do as little inputting as possible, making sure I enter it correctly, and, then having it automatically flow to wherever else it can possibly flow. Each unnecessary time I enter information I'm running the risk of entering it incorrectly.

Vinny

Vinny

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:57 am

Question, please.

I have been doing my returns by hand for 42 years. I tried Turbo Tax ten years ago and my hand-compiled returns gave me better, accurate numbers.

Vinny suggests H & R Block software is much better. I had a chat several years back with a veteran tax preparer who suggested I had an advantage as ‘hand’ preparation can give a person a real sense as to his/her tax situation. In the way that a spider knows the conditions of its web.

I startled my tax prep for 2020 in January, 2019. It is fun and I know where I am regarding my taxes always. My 1099s are always under control.

So, the question: should I bother with software if only for some identity theft/stealing of a refund protection?

Oh, and a “thank you” to WiseOne who advised me that the New York State and New York City fees on my apartment sale were not tax deductible. How right WiseOne was. My but those expenses added up.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

I think I'm stuck with Turbotax and its auto import feature for one more year because of Lending Club - the complications it adds to Schedule D are beyond imagining. Fortunately now that I've gotten out I could consider something like freetaxusa or Credit Karma after next year.

Totally agree with bedraggled, the layers that Turbotax puts between you and the actual tax forms, which you are not allowed to edit directly, are truly irritating and actually make tax filing harder. Turbotax once made a mistake on a tax form for the backdoor Roth IRA contribution that resulted in an IRS tax letter two years later. I figured out what happened (after a lot of unnecessary angst) and sent in a hand corrected form which solved the problem. Turbotax of course denied that they'd made any such error - even though when I called the IRS, the agent on the line told me that Turbotax resulted in quite a lot of these letters because of that specific issue. None of this would have happened if I'd done the forms myself.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:19 am

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:57 am
Question, please.

I have been doing my returns by hand for 42 years. I tried Turbo Tax ten years ago and my hand-compiled returns gave me better, accurate numbers.

Vinny suggests H & R Block software is much better. I had a chat several years back with a veteran tax preparer who suggested I had an advantage as ‘hand’ preparation can give a person a real sense as to his/her tax situation. In the way that a spider knows the conditions of its web.

I startled my tax prep for 2020 in January, 2019. It is fun and I know where I am regarding my taxes always. My 1099s are always under control.

So, the question: should I bother with software if only for some identity theft/stealing of a refund protection?

Oh, and a “thank you” to WiseOne who advised me that the New York State and New York City fees on my apartment sale were not tax deductible. How right WiseOne was. My but those expenses added up.
1) I was not saying that H&R Block was better than TurboTax. I was saying that for the way I want to input tax information (into the forms directly) it was better than one of the online products recommended here.

2) I also somewhat do them by hand. I have created Excel worksheets that replicate the tax returns (and their lines) relevant to me. And, I hand enter all the information into them (on a month-by-month basis for tax planning purposes). That total amounts in those worksheets in all cases agree with the amounts that are in the H&R Block forms. Doing both give me full control of what is appearing in the tax returns created by H&R Block, which are the ones I end up filing. I will research to death and fully understand any tax issue that relates to me.

3) And, I always file paper (never have e-filed) so no identity theft risk for me. Plus, I NEVER get a refund I either arrange to owe if no penalties involved or I apply a "refund" towards next year's taxes.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:25 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am
I think I'm stuck with Turbotax and its auto import feature for one more year because of Lending Club - the complications it adds to Schedule D are beyond imagining. Fortunately now that I've gotten out I could consider something like freetaxusa or Credit Karma after next year.

Totally agree with bedraggled, the layers that Turbotax puts between you and the actual tax forms, which you are not allowed to edit directly, are truly irritating and actually make tax filing harder. Turbotax once made a mistake on a tax form for the backdoor Roth IRA contribution that resulted in an IRS tax letter two years later. I figured out what happened (after a lot of unnecessary angst) and sent in a hand corrected form which solved the problem. Turbotax of course denied that they'd made any such error - even though when I called the IRS, the agent on the line told me that Turbotax resulted in quite a lot of these letters because of that specific issue. None of this would have happened if I'd done the forms myself.
I assisted someone completing his personal tax returns for 2018. He was using TurboTax and it was the first time for me using it in about 20 years. I had been personally exclusively using H&R Block during all that time. There were many times with TurboTax wherein I knew exactly what amount I wanted to appear on a line in a specific tax form and it became quite frustrating to determine out where I was supposed to actually enter that amount.

It seemed that TurboTax has more of an orientation of getting all the information in via the cumbersome interview process as opposed to just entering the information directly into the forms? Seems like the former is oriented towards someone who does not have a good grasp on all the relevant tax issues and tax forms, which in itself is somewhat dangerous for someone self-preparing.

Vinny
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

I used this last year for the first time and was very happy with it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:22 pm

About to buy this. And, about the lowest price I've paid for it in a long time. Maybe ever.

Vinny

H&R Block.JPG
H&R Block.JPG (31.43 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:24 pm

And, if you go here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YH24MYL/?c ... _lig_dp_it

You will be able to see this comparison between their different tax products.

Vinny

c.JPG
c.JPG (77.13 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:25 pm

For those of you interested in how easy it is to input information into the H&R Block program?

Earlier this afternoon I'd first updated my federal and state tax returns in my Excel worksheets based upon my information for 2019 in Quicken plus some estimates.

Using that information in the worksheets it took me less than 1/2 hour to get all the information into the H&R Block software with results almost identical to my worksheet. When I'm finalizing a return I get them to be identical but for my tax planning purposes which required the use of estimates getting close was good enough. T

The process of matching the software results to my Excel worksheets did exactly what I wanted it to do. The software reminded me of some things I'd not yet updated in my Excel worksheets.

The tax forms are not due to be updated until the 1st week of January 2020. Therefore several of them were incomplete. But because I had my completed Excel worksheets I knew what was supposed to go where: I overrode and made my entries for the forms which did not yet have their supporting worksheets available.

I entered a W-2, Schedule C information (including mileage for vehicle), several individual 1099's for both interest and dividends.

For decades I have been doing the standard deduction one year and then doing two years of deduction the next year to itemize. This year was the year to use the standard deduction, which led to less inputting.

All relevant information from last year's return imported smoothly, saving any of the repetitive type inputting.

Though it can import information from various sources, such as Quicken, I prefer to enter all my information by hand into the software. Really not that much to input.

As I said a while ago, I did use Turbo Tax 2018 in assisting someone with his return. And, though I could not tell if it was because I'd not used it for over 20 years, but the inputting experience was nowhere as easy as this was tonight. Much easier to navigate to where you actually have to do the basic inputting so it all eventually flows to the proper lines on the various forms.

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am

How do people like H&RB? I've used TurboTax forever, but the last two years have not been pleasant experiences. Last year was really bad. TT decided to dump data/crash on my final save/transmit. Luckily I had a hard copy but this year I have to hand jam a bunch of data that was lost...so it's a good year to change if I need to.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:06 am

Kbg wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am
How do people like H&RB? I've used TurboTax forever, but the last two years have not been pleasant experiences. Last year was really bad. TT decided to dump data/crash on my final save/transmit. Luckily I had a hard copy but this year I have to hand jam a bunch of data that was lost...so it's a good year to change if I need to.
I have used both TTax and HRBlock. I like them both for simplicity compared to doing taxes by hand .
The thing is, that both the software programs get updated and can become entirely different from year to year.
So last year it was HRBlock for me.
TTax had issues with some of their forms being left out of different versions that people had been using for years.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am
I've been using it for over 20 years now. All my opinions regarding it are in the prior posts I have made in this topic.

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Downloaded...great coupon
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned: